Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 919
    edited May 2016
    flord said:
    May I ask, if you're not a reseller and this is your collection, why multiples?
    Some sets I really like I will get more than one, especially those Creator 3-in-1 houses, which can be built into a bigger version with 2 or more sets.

Also sets that are heavily discounted I may get a few so as to use as parts.

Just to add that if I had investment in mind I will not get all the small and medium sets as seen in the photo and will just shoot for 20 or 30 each of the big UCS sets since they have high chance of getting the best returns :)
    Below Creator house built with 2 sets, though I only increased the house with another level, thereby having many leftover bricks.

catwranglerGothamConstructionCoRirinetteLEGO_Dad77snowhitie
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,853
    If I could afford it I'd be tempted to a buy a bunch of Ewok villages and make a huge forest of them! Would have nice rebuild possibilities for various fantasy/historical themes, too...
    tallblocktoolegomentaljosekalelLEGO_Dad77snowhitie
  • All_That_RocksAll_That_Rocks UKMember Posts: 643
    I mentioned previously about making the ultimate sacrifice of moving the mother in law in with us in order to allow me to extend. Well, the plans are in. Just need planning approval now.

The Study will be my Lego room with an attached store room for storing my sets and Bricklink store.

plan.jpg 303.7K
    MattDawsoncatwranglerSumoLegoLegoboychrisalddinmadforLEGOkhmellymeljosekalelsnowhitie
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,766
    The Study will be my Lego room with an attached store room for storing my sets and Bricklink store.

Too small.  You need to swap it round with the Sitting, dining and kitchen.
    OldfanpharmjodmadforLEGOAll_That_Rocksgmonkey76chuckpkhmellymel
    ^ I Wish!!
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 329
    ^ I Wish!!
    I hate to be mercenary here but we are talking lego after all - just make sure you get first dibs on the mother in laws bedroom as well when/if she vacates it ;-)
    MattDawson
    @legomental absolutely!! There will be a lot more space available if/when that happens :)
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,742
    ^ Just don't mention renting the space out, and have a list of reasons not to rent it out ready...
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,214
    ^ Just don't mention renting the space out, and have a list of reasons not to rent it out ready...
    I'll help with that - "local legislation" "change of building purpose" "income registration" "planning laws" "government watchdog" "tax registration"...
    ^Just hope none of the "planning laws" stop the dream. I don't have a firm plan B.
    MattDawson
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,766
    @All_That_Rocks Just an observation, but you'd better off moving the wall between the hall and kitchen upwards and sliding the wc under the stairs. Given you have the kitchen over there anyway, I'm assuming the foul drain is easily accessible and will free up more rom for the LEGO room. Equally, if you handed the ensue and kitchen units in the annex over to the left hand side and up against the staircase, the en-suite /toilet facility could be accessed from both the annex and the hall freeing up additional space in the annex. A 'Jack and Jill' arrangement.
    All_That_Rocks
    @Legoboy thanks for the comments, always good to get another perspective. However, the angle under the stairs would mean that we'd have to take a significant chunk of the kitchen which was a step too far.

As for the en-suite - the whole idea is to give complete separation between mother in law and us (to the extent of locked door between properties for the sake of both our privacies.

Plans are submitted now so not able to change at this point without resubmitting.

FYI the architect is actually doubtful that we will get the entire "lego" side as he thinks they will consider this 'green space'. If that is the case the 'deal' will be off and mother in law will be looking for new digs :) 
    Wicksy80cozy
    I hear second hand shipping containers make good homes...
    SprinkleOtterlegomentalAll_That_Rocksgmonkey76
    @Legoboy thanks for the comments, always good to get another perspective. However, the angle under the stairs would mean that we'd have to take a significant chunk of the kitchen which was a step too far.

As for the en-suite - the whole idea is to give complete separation between mother in law and us (to the extent of locked door between properties for the sake of both our privacies.

Plans are submitted now so not able to change at this point without resubmitting.

FYI the architect is actually doubtful that we will get the entire "lego" side as he thinks they will consider this 'green space'. If that is the case the 'deal' will be off and mother in law will be looking for new digs :) 
    For what it's worth I think your architect is likely to be wrong. They are granting planning for pretty much anything these days and most extensions are pretty much fair game at the minute. I have lots to do with planning for the family business and haven't failed to get an application through in the last 5 years now
    @Legoboy I agree, I think he is wrong too but he was quite unhappy at the size of the 'lego extension' and wanted to scale it back but I stood firm and if refused we'll rethink. 

Now I just have to wait 8 weeks for approval :(
    @Legoboy I agree, I think he is wrong too but he was quite unhappy at the size of the 'lego extension' and wanted to scale it back but I stood firm and if refused we'll rethink. 

Now I just have to wait 8 weeks for approval :(
    Good luck

And appeal if you don't get it ;-)
    All_That_Rocks
    I hope you get it, @All_That_Rocks. Nice to be able to solve a family dilemma and a Lego dilemma at the same time!
    All_That_Rocks
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    Recce said:
    flord said:
    May I ask, if you're not a reseller and this is your collection, why multiples?
    Some sets I really like I will get more than one, especially those Creator 3-in-1 houses, which can be built into a bigger version with 2 or more sets.

Also sets that are heavily discounted I may get a few so as to use as parts.

Just to add that if I had investment in mind I will not get all the small and medium sets as seen in the photo and will just shoot for 20 or 30 each of the big UCS sets since they have high chance of getting the best returns :)

but what's the point of hoarding that many sets? Unless you've dedicated your whole house to legos, it looks like there's no building or display space!
    MattDawson
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,909
    Gasp!  What is the point of hoarding sets?  That is precisely the point.
    MattDawsonRecce
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002

WIP

always having something to swoosh at hand

nephews area

i like to build standing

however, bigger table inc!

bendybadgerbluedragoncatwranglerprevereFarmer_Johnchuckpsnowhitie
    Congrats @All_That_Rocks
    All_That_Rocks
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    I took a break from building this weekend to install a ceiling fan in the old dining room. This room used to be the den/office back in the days of a desk-top computer. The room was the one of the last haunts of my son before he moved out on his own.  My wife actually encouraged me to convert this room so that I would not be so far away in the upstairs Lego room. Double win for me as the Lego room gets pretty hot in the summer time since it's not on a separate A/C system typical of two story homes in our area. Anyway, the room was still a little warm due to the 5 bulb light fixture that hung in the middle of the room.  A few days of sweaty swamp XXX convinced me to install the fan. Now, cool Lego building bliss!

chrisalddindavetheoxygenmancatwranglerBumblepantsbrickupdate
    @ecmo47 It doesn't even get very hot here by California standards, but I was miserable in our heatwaves this summer, so I can imagine what a relief it must be! 

Interesting to see that you have a cloth over the desk - is it to stop Lego pieces from scratching the surface? I started displaying the Palace Cinema on the dressing table in our guest bedroom recently (primarily to get it out of the way downstairs, but hey, it's a nice feature for any visitors), and as it has a very glossy veneer surface I put down a large flat cardboard envelope first, just in case the baseplate would scratch it...
  • EdmicEdmic ZürichMember Posts: 102
    I always tend to have a blanket on the table when building, not so much for scratching, but it prevent the little things rolling of the table (and bouncing of the floor and then roll under the 150KG cabinet)

As for my preparations for the LEGO collection, i've been taking everything apart again, and will box everything up for future (read when our son who on Saturday will come home and was born yesterday YEAH :D ) is old enough, we just lack the room to have it al inhere and an extra room in Switzerland is tbh to expensive just for lego, and we both like to keep hobbies out of the livingroom.

It feels a bit sad seeing a pile of moving boxes instead of all the builds. Only keeping an At-At and a Republic frigate for in the kids room on top of the cabinet far out of his reach.
    catwranglerBrickDancer
    Catwrangler. As Edmic said, it's to keep pieces from escaping. It's a habit I started years ago when I was primarily building on a tile surface which was too slippery. A close nap piece of cloth really helps corral the parts especially when sorting large quantities of Lego. What you see is a close woven blanket (I think it's an antique from my Grandparents) but I have used old towels to equal effect. Also easy to wash when dirty from a Craigslist "deal" I should have passed on or the cat taking up residence. 
    catwrangler
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    edited July 2016
    @Edmic
    Congratulations on your most successful group build yet! 
    Edmic
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 514
    Since we got our own house I finally have (a) room to put my piece cabinets! This is one of the two areas in the house for my Lego. Next project is to build a city! 
    Nice brick separator "rack" back there :)
    FollowsCloselystluxYodaliciouslegojeroenSumoLegocatwranglerLegoboysnowhitie77ncaachamps
    Wow, congratulations on the new arrival, @Edmic!
  • EdmicEdmic ZürichMember Posts: 102
    Wow, congratulations on the new arrival, @Edmic!
    @Edmic
    Congratulations on your most successful group build yet! 
    Thanks guys, and perhaps he'll sign up inhere himself eventually :) (after he wrecked mommy's and daddy's sets..... )
    catwranglerstlux
    That's a very nice display but that direct sunlight on the back of the Modulars make me shutter!
    BrickDancerBumblepantsJern92
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 325
    Ya those pictures are a couple months old I have since moved the modular 
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 325
    I just liked the old layout a little better 
    brickupdatecatwranglerMynattLEGO_Dad77yys4usnowhitie
    mh3490 said:
    I just liked the old layout a little better 
    Nice display, but nonetheless dust magnet!

My toys are all displayed on shelves with glass doors, can't afford to have them exposed. As now ran out of display shelves, many are kept built and stored in storage containers.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 599
    @JELJ1S I always wanted a 'panic room' for my Vintage Star Wars collection (and now Lego collection) so that if we ever got burgaled they wouldn't be able to get their grubby hands on my stuff. Or have any houseguests accidentally stumbling into that room.
    catwranglerJELJ1S
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,909
    Lego 'Safe' room.  I like it.
    gmonkey76stlux
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,742
    @JELJ1S I always wanted a 'panic room' for my Vintage Star Wars collection (and now Lego collection) so that if we ever got burgaled they wouldn't be able to get their grubby hands on my stuff. Or have any houseguests accidentally stumbling into that room.
    I go with the opposite approach- my LEGO collection is everywhere, so burglars would not be able to take much. And they would end up stepping on some. And they wouldn't know what to take.
    catwranglerjpczRainstorm26
    With a special, moving bookcase to protect the hidden entrance?
    gmonkey76catwranglerjosekalelJELJ1S
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,190
    krklint said:
    I got rid of my fiancee. Does that count as "accommodating" my home :)
    You say "got rid of"... I do hope you didn't do anything terminal... ;-)
    JELJ1SJern92
    I'm planning on sticking a display case on the chimney breast in my bedroom (yes, the house I live in is that old) and displaying my trains in it. Question is, do I get one long enough for my 5 car Metroliner set or do I acquire one where it's split up? 
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,775
    ^ the house I live in was built in 2012. It has no chimney. But it does have a chimney breast in the lounge and master bedroom. I have no idea why, unless the designer wanted to completely frustrate any attempts at efficient furniture arrangement.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 503
    krklint said:
    I got rid of my fiancee. Does that count as "accommodating" my home :)
    You say "got rid of"... I do hope you didn't do anything terminal... ;-)
    No. People in prison aren't allowed to display Lego... so terminal actions can have an adverse effect on collecting :p
    JudgeChuck