Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    edited April 2016
    The question I hoped I would never ask: What does a person do when they run out of space in their specially built Lego room?

My wife is going to kill me when she finds out...
    This is something I've often thought about. It's a sort of philosophical issue I ponder: if you're in the position of having a LEGO room, which most of us aspire to, do you:

a) Leave a lot of empty space for which to grow your collection over time, meaning it could look sparse, or
    b) Perfect it on day one, have a nice 'complete' look, but lack for space when it comes to the next decade of collecting?

I don't have a dedicated room for display (yet!) and as a result I disassemble sets to make room for new ones. It's okay, I think, one day all sets will stand together in my TARDIS-esque room that's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. But realistically I know that they will be the same issues, just on a bigger scale. 
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 647
    The question I hoped I would never ask: What does a person do when they run out of space in their specially built Lego room?

This is something I've often thought about. It's a sort of philosophical issue I ponder: if you're in the position of having a LEGO room, which most of us aspire to, do you:

a) Leave a lot of empty space for which to grow your collection over time, meaning it could look sparse, or
    b) Perfect it on day one, have a nice 'complete' look, but lack for space when it comes to the next decade of collecting?

I don't have a dedicated room for display (yet!) and as a result I disassemble sets to make room for new ones. It's okay, I think, one day all sets will stand together in my TARDIS-esque room that's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. But realistically I know that they will be the same issues, just on a bigger scale. 

For me, choice a). I bought a house with the biggest finished basement I could find for LEGO display (including lots of built-in shelving).  There is a lot of empty space now, but I'm planning on filling most of that space in the future...

The only downside to this, is that it's easy to keep buying stuff you really don't need to fill that space.  The advantage of a limited display space, is that you find out really quick what your priorities are, because even if you have the means, you can't physically fit everything in there.
    catwranglermadforLEGO
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,898
    Getting vertical helps. Rotating models on display helps and cuts down on long-term dust as well. Keeping the room clean helps too (may you have an attic or crawlspace in which to store bulk bins, boxes, etc).

Space is like LEGO, use your imagination.
    catwranglertallblocktoo
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    tecjam said:

Rent a second flat?
    Or rent a second wife. 
    legomentaltecjamAdeelZubair
  • FurrysaurusFurrysaurus Hiding in the kitchen.Member Posts: 156

we went with option B - somewhat outside of our control in that we were given an "offer we couldn't refuse" on our house.   given that we're both more into MOC'ing than collecting, it actually works out better - everything can be laid out and we can actually find pieces now.   not that i wouldn't love a 2500 sq ft basement, but as a compromise it seems to work.
    catwrangler
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,766
    tecjam said:

Rent a second flat?
    Exactly.  The mistress can look after them in the other flat.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 970
    ^ That would seriously cut into your Lego budget.
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 3,013
    the flat? or the mistress?
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 329
    the flat? or the mistress?
    Or the amount of dusters?!
    catwrangler
    ^ LEGO is my wife. My wife is my mistress.
    LegoboycatwranglerCHAINSAWgmonkey76pharmjodchuckpsnowhitie
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,909
    ^ If you divorce your Lego, does your Lego get half of itself?

Thus, you would only get 25%?  

Such questions that need answers...
    Legoboycatwranglergmonkey76SalamalexAdeelZubairsnowhitie
    If I divorce my LEGO, or get to the point that I've upset it enough that it would want a divorce, I'd be less concerned of what percentage of itself it would get and more concerned over the 2,000+ minifigs finally banding together and taking me out. They could very easily make it look like an accident.
    LegoboycatwranglerCHAINSAWtallblocktooprevereToc13Mynattsnowhitie
    edited April 2016
    That would be a very Gulliver's Travels way to go.

Or if they brick-built a giant mallet and then de-assembled it after your demise.  No murder weapon...
    catwranglerDon
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 329
    SumoLego said:
    ^ If you divorce your Lego, does your Lego get half of itself?

Thus, you would only get 25%?  

Such questions that need answers...
    But one would hope the potential value increase would be more than 25% so would you only get a percentage of the overall value and lego gets the rest? 

Could turn out costly.  
    Best not divorce the lego 
    However overall it appears to me the best solution is to just have the mistress, no wife, no claims to the lego and then the collection can have as much space as it likes. 
    catwrangler
  • CHAINSAWCHAINSAW ChicagoMember Posts: 199
    ^ LEGO is my wife. My wife is my mistress.
    Haha nice. ;)
    Farmer_John
    MaffyD said:
    Last night my wife called the dining room "The Lego Room". It's finally happened!
    Omg, nice!
    MaffyD
  • brandon979brandon979 Bay City TexasMember Posts: 4
    I don't post much on here but just wanted to share my display shelf I just had built.  It has a Zebra wood top.  With Winge facing.  The body is 3/4 inch plywood with 8th inch walnut facing.  I know it is extremely overboard.  Its nice to have friends that work with exotic woods and are passionate about building furniture.

Presume you mean Zebrano and Wenge?! Have you got any pictures, I love a nice set of shelves!
    I do but for some odd reason it will not allow me to post them.
    Here are the pictures of my display shelf.
    catwranglerjoel4motionMaffyDsnowhitie
    Here are the pictures of my display shelf.
    *points* i see Pony!
  • JakeTheJailbirdJakeTheJailbird USAMember Posts: 9
    The most pressing question is, of all ponies, why Sweetie Belle?
    well spotted. it is Sweetie Belle.

and it's out of date. it has no cutie mark.
    catwrangler
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,775
    and it's out of date. it has no cutie mark.
    Or, to put it another way, it's vintage!
    tallblocktoopharmjod
  • All_That_RocksAll_That_Rocks UKMember Posts: 643
    I may have just made the ultimate sacrifice to accommodate my lego. I have agreed (nay suggested) that my recently widowed mother in law (71) come and live with us.

Why does this help me?

She's going to fund a large extension which amongst other things, will hopefully accommodate 2 rooms for my use :)  
    FollowsCloselyMaffyDFarmer_JohncatwranglerSumoLegopharmjodsnowhitie
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,742
    CHAINSAW said:
    MaffyD said:
    Last night my wife called the dining room "The Lego Room". It's finally happened!
    Omg, nice!
    I give it a week before there are complaints lobbied against "The LEGO Room" ;)
    CHAINSAW
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,775
    CHAINSAW said:
    MaffyD said:
    Omg, nice!
    I give it a week before there are complaints lobbied against "The LEGO Room" ;)

Possibly! :-) It's not so much that the dining room is now filled with Lego (it has only the one set in it right now) but that calling it The Lego Room instead of the Dining Room infers a change in how she perceives the use of the space. Certainly we don't have a family meal in it every day (or even every weekend), so giving it a more everyday purpose as a room for building and displaying Lego might be a positive for her.

Time to buy some display shelves! I mean bookcases! Or do I..?

catwrangler
  • LL924LL924 USAMember Posts: 7
    My "Lego Room" (basement spare bedroom) includes space for my shotgun collection.  My Lego is well protected!
    CHAINSAWFollowsCloselypharmjod1265
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 970
    ^ that deserves a picture.
    pharmjod
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,742
    I may have just made the ultimate sacrifice to accommodate my lego. I have agreed (nay suggested) that my recently widowed mother in law (71) come and live with us.

Why does this help me?

She's going to fund a large extension which amongst other things, will hopefully accommodate 2 rooms for my use :)  

My condolences.

;)

tallblocktooCHAINSAW

Why does this help me?

Still thinking you should have asked for more in return.
    gmonkey76SumoLegopharmjodAll_That_Rocks
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,853
    I must say, that is an ingenious solution on @All_That_Rocks's part.
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 521
    That path is fraught with danger.

Why does this help me?

Get her hooked on Lego.  
    MaffyDCHAINSAW
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,911
    @LL924 shotguns can quickly outpace LEGO in terms of cost =) especially if you have expensive tastes. 
  • LL924LL924 USAMember Posts: 7
    ^Very true!  However, no Purdy's or Holland & Holland for me, just some American made selections which started with my Grandfather's 1973 model Remington 870 Wingmaster he left me.
    pharmjod
    I thought a 100 - 150K extension which incorporates amongst others things, a new kitchen with bifold doors and vaulted sealings, and  two lego rooms was pushing it enough. Though of course that budget includes 'some' space for her to live in too (separately I might add). 

Mind you, I might get the Mrs to suggest a Green Grocers as a special thank you for being such a great son in law :) 
    catwranglerlegomental
    SumoLego said:

Why does this help me?

Get her hooked on Lego.  
    Well she used to do a lot of jigsaws but on a recent visit she did suggest she could 'help' me with my Lego. At the time I was horrified, but then if she was buy some of those old retired modulars I'd be happy for her to help :)
    legomentalSumoLego
    SumoLego said:

Why does this help me?

Get her hooked on Lego.  
    Good idea!
    SumoLego

Well I have a 5 year old daughter who wanted it.  Her duplo builds have their own display shelf as well.
    edited April 2016

Well I have a 5 year old daughter who wanted it.  Her duplo builds have their own display shelf as well.
    ah, we will let you off, but she needs twilight sparkle to.
    every girl who likes MLP FiM need a twilight sparkle! (or discord. MLP "Q" for the win.)

and if she is 5, it's time to start her on the system lego.
    Brickfan50
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    Recce said:
    Didn't really do anything to my house, I just let the sets accumulate and accumulate until not much space left.
    Wow.... Kind of looks like an organized version of "horders: Buried alive"
    Cosworth3dLordmoral
    If it's organized, it's really not a hoard.

(Or that's what I tell myself.)
    MaffyDFollowsCloselyFarmer_Johnsnowhitie
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    ^That's what I tell myself too. If everything is symmetrical and well-cataloged, then it can't be a hoard, right? I can tell you exactly where to find any set that I have. Unfortunately, actually getting to the set is another matter. That's when I have to take vacation from work in order to do some Lego spelunking.
    Lego_StarSumoLego
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 919
    Bought a few new metal racks recently to tidy up my collection in the house. 

Took the opportunity to consolidate my Star Wars sets into one place for a family shot before transferring onto the rack (or two). A couple of the recent AT-ATs and ISDs not in picture as they're buried under a bunch of Super Heroes sets and I'm too afraid to move them out.

Brickfan50snowhitieCosworth3d77ncaachamps
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 714
    May I ask, if you're not a reseller and this is your collection, why multiples?
    ^ I would retort with "why not?" I'm not a reseller, but have plenty of multiples. Some vehicles, buildings, etc. just warrant multiples in the collection. Three Avengers Towers to build a big one, multiple X-Wings to have a squadron, etc. 
    126577ncaachamps
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 919
    ^That's what I tell myself too. If everything is symmetrical and well-cataloged, then it can't be a hoard, right? I can tell you exactly where to find any set that I have. Unfortunately, actually getting to the set is another matter. That's when I have to take vacation from work in order to do some Lego spelunking.
    Some people use the words collecting and hoarding interchangeably, so it's probably an organized hoard, or is that a messy collection? :)

For the big sets I, too can recall easily where I place them, but for small sets and/or odd sets from themes I do not generally collect, I tend to forget where they are stored.