Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,873
    I am always amused when sets get packed along with the bags from the store they came from.
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    ^yh that's serious hoarding when you can't even be bothered taking the boxes out of the bags never mind sets out of boxes!
    I like to think it's an added layer of protection...
    pharmjodBumblepantskiki180703JELJ1SFarmer_John77ncaachampssnowhitieRainstorm26
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Recce said:
    Didn't really do anything to my house, I just let the sets accumulate and accumulate until not much space left.
    Sort of reminds me of the trash compactor scene in the first SW movie...only with Lego sets.
    catwranglerGothamConstructionCokiki180703Jackad7
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,853
    I can think of worse ways to go...
    Farmer_JohnGothamConstructionCoMynattkiki180703Jackad7
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,448
    trash compacted by megabloks?
    gmonkey76Farmer_JohncatwranglerMynattSprinkleOtterkiki180703Jackad7
    ^ There's not enough clutch to actually be compacted.  You'd keep slipping apart...
    catwranglerSprinkleOtterJudgeChuckKingAlanIkiki180703YodaliciousJackad7DoctorMcGann
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    ^ your second to last sentence just adds another class: creating Lego books (DIY, themes, etc.)
    Being that I am professional gasbag, I would be happy to be an adjunct professor.

Please make sure to sign up for future classes on Galidor, 'Hard' Plan-o-grams with 'Flex' Space, and the hands-on lab concenring The Tactile World of CMF Packet Detection.

@Farmer_John

However, in all seriousness, we could probably get most of the investing questions answered with one comprehensive sales and production schedule of sets. 
    KingAlanIkiki180703
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 329
    Recce said:
    Didn't really do anything to my house, I just let the sets accumulate and accumulate until not much space left.
    I love these pictures. They are proof to the other half that my hobby (replace with addiction/obsession/mental illness as you wish) has not yet reached epic proportions. I would love a lego room but fear it would reveal the true extent of my collection and therefore continuing to hide sets at work/the shed/the garage/my parents/friends garages may be a safer bet
    chuckpBumblepantscatwranglerkiki180703Lordmoralomnium
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 3,007
    Recce said:
    I love these pictures. They are proof to the other half that my hobby (replace with addiction/obsession/mental illness as you wish) has not yet reached epic proportions. I would love a lego room but fear it would reveal the true extent of my collection and therefore continuing to hide sets at work/the shed/the garage/my parents/friends garages may be a safer bet
    me to i have the image saved to my HDD for when i need to show family members that i am not going crazy over Lego.
    legomental
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    ... I would love a lego room but fear it would reveal the true extent of my collection and therefore continuing to hide sets at work/the shed/the garage/my parents/friends garages may be a safer bet
    Ah, the "Moving your peas around your plate" theory of LEGO distribution: keep your sets apart so it looks like less. I'm a big proponent of this technique too. 
    legomentalBumblepantskiki180703snowhitie
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,448
    basicall buying a castle so that you can display just one or 2 D2C sets per room?
    chuckpkiki180703
    Fauch said:
    basicall buying a castle so that you can display just one or 2 D2C sets per room?
    That would work too but I fear the mortgage may not
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,853
    These look so good! My home office is close to being finished and I'm considering using the space in the IKEA Billy bookcase to display some Lego. It'd be nice to inaugurate the room with the Palace Cinema...
    Brikingkiki180703
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 897
    I've listed enough potential courses for a Master's Degree in Lego if a thesis is also included. A textbook could probably be written if someone was brave enough cull through the Brickset discussion board.

Just thinking out loud...
    A sample thesis topic- define a UCS/modular. You would have to 'research' lots though. I wonder if u would get funding for a USC falcon?
    catwranglerSalamalexFarmer_Johnkiki180703
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,742
    Recce said:
    Don't let those people find out the resale value on some of those sets they're holding for you!
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    SumoLego said:
    Being that I am professional gasbag, I would be happy to be an adjunct professor.

Please make sure to sign up for future classes on Galidor, 'Hard' Plan-o-grams with 'Flex' Space, and the hands-on lab concenring The Tactile World of CMF Packet Detection.
    Prerequisites are as follows:
    • Calculus, linear algebra (matrix theory), and statics will definitely be a prerequisite for "Sorting and Storage Theory."
    • Statistical analysis and stochastic processes may be good prerequisites for "Lego Discontinuation Theory."
    • Intro to Polymers (ChemE) needs to be a prerequisite for "Environmental Studies of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (and Stickers)."
    • Watching "The Big Short" may be a good prerequisite for "Buying and Selling Lego" and for "Ethical Behavior."
    • A class on Braille might be a useful prerequisite for "The Tactile World of CMF Packet Detection."
    • Finally, a field trip to TRU might be in order for price gouging theory.
    So many possibilities...

SumoLegocatwranglerklatu003SalamalexRonyarkiki180703
  • CHAINSAWCHAINSAW ChicagoMember Posts: 199
    I just cover my entire room/apparentment completely in legos.  No need to clean up. ;)
    tallblocktoocatwranglerFarmer_Johnkiki180703
    Though it does help to have lots of containers for my legos.
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 919
    Managed to clear up 2 shelves to put some of the modulars. The other Lego shelves are less than tidy.

tallblocktoocatwranglerFarmer_JohnricecakeMynattRsa33CHAINSAWkiki180703Brickarmor
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    @Recce Oh so you actually build it too!  I thought you were merely stock piling to resell.   You have quite the collection!

• 12651265 Member Posts: 951
    @Recce Oh so you actually build it too!  I thought you were merely stock piling to resell.   You have quite the collection!

And if he didn't build, would you be so butt-hurt that he didn't.  How one collects varies with each individual.
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    edited March 2016
    No and I didn't word it that way either did I?  Not sure why you took issue with it. Each to there own.  I am well aware there are many types of collectors. 
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 951
    ^^
    Fair enough.  I read it and understood it differently.  Sorry about that.....cheers!
    tallblocktookiki180703
    Recce said:
    Don't let those people find out the resale value on some of those sets they're holding for you!
    Can you imagine the horror! I live in fear of my mother suddenly having an urge to have a clear out and giving all my childhood lego away! 

Perhaps I do need a lego room/safe after all 
    Jackad7
    ^...with fingerprint scan, retinal scan, numerical combination, etc. At least I would if I had your collection.
    Jackad7
    And I would have a layer of Construct-a-Zurgs as a protective measure against little hands.

And an electrified mesh around the early 2000's Creator and UCS SW sets.
    Mynattkiki180703Farmer_John
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 721
    @Farmer_John

Perhaps we can add some Post-graduate classes:
      . Disaster Mitigation and Sustainable Development
      . Risk Management and Strategic Personal Relationships
      . Discerning Patterns of Mental Obsession: The ABS Conundrum
      . Beyond Collecting - Size Reduction Preserving Modularity
    Farmer_Johncatwranglerkiki180703
    ^
    In my house I might need to add "Marriage Counseling" to that list as well.
    catwranglerlegomentalkiki180703YodaliciousCHAINSAW
    If I had Recce's collection I'd be doing a course on how to preserve one's lego in the event of divorce
    ^ Hide them elsewhere!
    I should get security guards for my legos, it would help a lot.
    Legoboy said:
    I'd like to say I have a highly trained guard dog who's been taught to tear you limb from limb.  But I don't. 

Lol, sounds like my dog.  Though my dog would just eat my legos, so I have to keep her away from all my legos.
    KingAlanIkiki180703
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,008
    edited March 2016
    I'm no good at non-LEGO construction/mechanical stuff.
    I have moved other stuff to another room or out of the way parts of my bedroom to make more room for LEGO (display/play, building, easier access to parts stockpiles)

"Color Theory - is this grey or bley?"
    Wouldn't TRU pricing be covered in "Ethics or the lack thereof?"

Legoboy said:
    I'd like to say I have a highly trained guard dog who's been taught to tear you limb from limb.  But I don't.
    My dog too. probably be like "hello mr. burglar. I love you! let's play!"
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,008
    nexander said:
    A sample thesis topic- define a UCS/modular. You would have to 'research' lots though. I wonder if u would get funding for a USC falcon?
    No, USC would be Trojans - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USC_Trojans. (A different kind of Trojan keeps you from getting too many minifigures.)

Oldfancatwranglerkiki180703
    Recce said:
    Managed to clear up 2 shelves to put some of the modulars. The other Lego shelves are less than tidy.

Nice, lots of legos there, and two millenium falcons! ;)
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 919
    CHAINSAW said:
    Recce said:

Only one MF in the picture, the other is a mirror reflection :-)
    Recce said:
    CHAINSAW said:
    Recce said:

Only one MF in the picture, the other is a mirror reflection :-)
    Oh my bad, I can see that now. ;) lol
    Basiclly shelves upon shelves of legos cover my apartment.  That is how I deal with my lego addiction.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,111
    Went under contract this week on a new home - large enough for a Lego room and I even have the wife's approval!  Cannot wait to move.
    RonyarCHAINSAWcatwranglertallblocktooFarmer_JohnDonBumblepantskiki180703
  • brandon979brandon979 Bay City TexasMember Posts: 4
    I don't post much on here but just wanted to share my display shelf I just had built.  It has a Zebra wood top.  With Winge facing.  The body is 3/4 inch plywood with 8th inch walnut facing.  I know it is extremely overboard.  Its nice to have friends that work with exotic woods and are passionate about building furniture.

catwranglerCHAINSAWkiki180703
    I don't post much on here but just wanted to share my display shelf I just had built.  It has a Zebra wood top.  With Winge facing.  The body is 3/4 inch plywood with 8th inch walnut facing.  I know it is extremely overboard.  Its nice to have friends that work with exotic woods and are passionate about building furniture.

Nice sounds cool!
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959

Presume you mean Zebrano and Wenge?! Have you got any pictures, I love a nice set of shelves!
    The question I hoped I would never ask: What does a person do when they run out of space in their specially built Lego room?

My wife is going to kill me when she finds out...
    GothamConstructionCocatwranglerlegomentalkiki180703snowhitie
  • tecjamtecjam Germany / SwitzerlandMember Posts: 255
    The question I hoped I would never ask: What does a person do when they run out of space in their specially built Lego room?

My wife is going to kill me when she finds out...
    Rent a second flat?