Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Buying sets just before they go OOP

Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
edited April 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
I spend a lot of time thinking I quite fancy 'X' set, I'll get it when its on sale. Only to find it has gone OOP when I next look at it. Is there anywhere where I can get advanced warning when sets are about to go OOP? I know the tell-tale signs about mark downs etc, but I mean a centralised website or even a thread where people can highlight sets that they believe are about to go OOP so I don't have to keep checking all the sets I'm interested in every week?

Comments

• mirandirmirandir Member Posts: 31
    Unfortunatly no. Not whitout knowing someone on the inside that you can ask. But that's not accurate either as production usually stops before the set's end date.

For example Cafe Corner had a stopdate of 31 december 2009 but it sold out early october. The same with Green Grocer. It was to end 31 december last year but only lasted till mid october if I remember correctly.

So If you really want a set then just buy it. You never know on beforehand what sets will get marked down and which that won't.
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    edited April 2011
    You never know on beforehand what sets will get marked down and which that won't.
    So are you saying some sets go OOP without ever getting marked down? Oh, that changes things...

• mirandirmirandir Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2011
    So are you saying some sets go OOP without ever getting marked down? Oh, that changes things...
    Yes. AFAIK a mark down is used to get rid of old stock to get room for the new. And popular sets will sell out on it's own, whitout getting marked down.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    In my experience, lots of sets vanish without being marked down. The active life of a set can be anything from a couple of months (the recent helo/limo set) to many years (UCS Star Destroyer ~6 years).

Typically the direct-to-consumer sets (e.g. 10xxx series sets) have the longest production life; seasonal sets & retailer exclusives have the shortest production life. The trend is definitely to having a shorter production life for new sets; the 'churn' in the overall product line is higher.

LEGO have been asked to provide the fan community with warnings of imminent retirement; LEGO have declined, saying that there is value to their competitors in knowing their production plans, and you can't really argue with that.

So the short answer is 'no', there is no easy answer to finding out when sets will be retired.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    The active life of a set can be anything from a couple of months (the recent helo/limo set) to many years (UCS Star Destroyer ~6 years).
    Oh my god, it was available for 6 years, 6!! I can feel tears welling up, curse my Dark Ages not ending sooner.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited April 2011
    Oh my god, it was available for 6 years, 6!!
    I'll admit I haven't checked, but I think it was available from ~2002 to ~2008. It is probably the longest available new set ever.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ...but I think it was available from ~2002 to ~2008. It is probably the longest available new set ever.
    Then that makes me the biggest numpty ever.
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255

Oh my god, it was available for 6 years, 6!! I can feel tears welling up, curse my Dark Ages not ending sooner.
    Same here, I tried to buy it in october 2009 via e-bay for $750,00 but the seller didn't have it in stock anymore. Then two weeks later I bought it somewhere else for € 600,00. Still don't regret it though...
  • mkoeselmkoesel USAMember Posts: 97
    I would be happy just to have some reliable information about which sets are going to see real short production runs (I'm looking at you Ahsoka's Starfighter, Wookie Catamaran, and RC Technic Bulldozer). Sure, if a set is a "Limited Edition" or a store exclusive it will often fall into this category, but by no means is that a firm indicator. Some sets like that go on to be available for over a year. Technic, in particular, is one theme that is very hard to predict with seemingly arbitrary product run durations.

The other thing that can catch you in a pickle is when a set disappears from production - sometimes inexplicably early its expected run - only to return for sale later. The red Technic Crane truck from last year is one example, at least of those in the US. How many out there had one shipped from overseas at nice fat premium only to see it return to the Lego shop late last year? Luckily I didn't get pinched there, but it was close - I was just about to get one from Germany via Bricklink. And I held out faith for so long only because I knew it was still available in the rest of the world.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    edited April 2011
    I'll admit I haven't checked, but I think it was available from ~2002 to ~2008. It is probably the longest available new set ever.
    I think 6212 X-Wing Fighter is giving that set a run for its money. Time will tell if it becomes the longest running set (do we have data on that, actually?). It's going on 5 years in production (2006 - present).
  • ThornmaskThornmask Member Posts: 9
    I have a tendency to buy sets just before they go OOP by accident. This is purely because I seem to have enough money to actually buy them at this time. I managed to purchase the Droid Gunship only a couple of days before it vanished from the Lego site, likewise with a couple of the Mars Mission sets and even some sets which did not have a reduced price (but ended up disappearing only a week after purchase).
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    I've found that because of how inventory gets distributed, direct sales outlets sell out of products before reseller retail outlets. So, if you see a set that you want disappear from the Shop at Home website, scramble to your nearby retailers to see if it is still in stock there. You will usually find it somewhere, but not for long.
  • knuclear200xknuclear200x Member Posts: 45
    i believe there's only one way to find out: For every new series that comes out, its bound to replace something related. Like Space Police, I still see them but I think Alien Conquest will take over. Also some itemsthat will be clearanced are likely to be no longer stocked. Another way is to know which set is popular and which is not, which is something i never know anyway. Of course the popular ones last longer. ALso the REALLY expensive ones last long, and some more popular expensive sets last longer than the other expensive set.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I've been wondering this too. I would like the King's Castle set and the Prison Tower Rescue set from the Kingdoms line, but I don't think their worth what the MSRP is for those two. I intend to buy at least one of them right before the new Kingdom sets are released, hopefully the old ones will be on sale by then
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 769
    Much like the auto industry, you can expect to find the previous year's models marked down to make room for the new year's models. This is the time for deals and for an end to seeing products in store.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,479

Same here, I tried to buy it in october 2009 via e-bay for $750,00 but the seller didn't have it in stock anymore. Then two weeks later I bought it somewhere else for € 600,00. Still don't regret it though...
    Well it could have been available due to existing stocks, but could have stopped production before. Like the Green Grocer.. I am guessing Lego produced them until mid of 2010, then the remaining stock sold out before Christmas.. If they ever last long enough they do can go on clearance. For example Lego.com has a nasty habit of listing sets for a sale that have been long sold out. I think they had Green Grocers listed at $75 dollars BUT they were long gone (and listed as 'sold out') before this sale occurred.. Which I think drives people nuts when they see that.. But I have never known a Creator set like the 150's going on a 50% sale at Lego, AND actually being available for purchase, yet. To complicate matters, these sets are not in brick and mortar stores retail stores either, only online, so once they are gone online they are gone (unless you are near a Lego B&M that has them).
    The best bet is to catch a BOGO50 offer from TRU (which I am guessing one is coming up) and get a Fire Brigade and a Grand emporium so you basically get 25% off of both, and usually free shipping, I have not seen Amazon.com have these sets on big clearances since the Town Plan and Green Grocer back in 09, I think, where both were around 100 dollars.