Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

July building competition - Disney Diorama

MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
edited June 2016 in Building and Techniques
After a Stirling effort by @shib to revive monthly building, we are having a go taking turns. I'm up this month and have chosen to use the new Disney minifigures as a theme. Dont worry if you don't have one, a stand in minifigure is fine, just let me know who it's meant to be (I'm sure it'll be obvious anyway).

Your Disney cmf can be doing anything but it has to fit within a 16x8 plate with minimal overhang. Can be any height you like and can contain more than one minifigure (at least one must be from the Disney line). New builds only please. I guess a couple of Disney cmf (of your choice if they are still in shops!) would be a fitting prize for my favourite and, as usual, judges decision is final etc. Deadline is the end of the month, I won't be around to judge on the last day (this will be done a few days later) so will accept anything that brickset says was posted in June (please stick to a maximum of two pictures per build).

I had a grand total of 10 minutes (between children and cycling) to knock up an example to get everyone on track so it's not the greatest but I've got a couple of other ideas I'll be using to bump the thread during the month.

I'm sure I have missed something so questions below, otherwise over to you...
kiki180703SumoLegoRogerKirkcatwranglerbendybadgerTheOriginalSimonBmr.pigglesGothamConstructionCobobabricksJooTogAdzbadboySalamalexsnowhitieWicksy80bandit778PeteMBumblepantsMynattchuckpLostInTranslation

Comments

• TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,252
    Will hopefully find time to have a go as the Alice vignette I did a couple of weeks ago is too big for these rules.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836

Am I allowed to submit this? It's Disney themed somewhat and it kinda uses a CMF. It definitely fits on a 8x16 and I'm proud of it as a MOC. ;P

Ill probably make an actual MOC using him soon. ;)
    kiki180703MattsWhatsnowhitieBricklover18chuckpbrumey
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    Can we represent Disney characters/films who haven't yet had CMFs? I don't have Disney CMFs, so I was going to be substituting other minifigures anyway, and I've had an idea about Lady and the Tramp. If not, no worries - I'll just do that for the regular MOC thread and make something else for this. 
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited June 2016
    I'm going to say it has to be a Disney cmf (simply to keep a lid on what else Disney owns - I'd be opening up Star Wars for example).
    And to make it as even as possible I'm going to say the mini has to be stock, sorry @bobabricks .  This is because otherwise I'd have to decide if I would accept only the legs or only the head etc.
    I hope that makes sense to everyone, apologies if it stifles creativity a bit, just trying to keep it a bit focused at least! 
    catwranglerWicksy80bobabricks
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    No, that makes sense - also, I'm a big believer in limitations as fuel for creativity, so gonna see what I can come up with within the brief!
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720

I've finally found it, the mythical sand green room of torches, and of course it is covered in water and I hate water! 
    Of course Donald and Daisy Duck beat me to it, and they love water! 

SprinkleOtterkiki180703MattsWhatcatwranglertallblocktooBumblepantschuckpsnowhitie
    I've just noticed that this thread is titled July...
    MattDawson
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    ^ I noticed that too. @MattsWhat , intentional?
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    I'm shocked that's the first mention of it. When it was posted I honestly thought I'd somehow discovered time travel... :P
    Erm..  Yeah intentional, it was a competition to see who spotted it.

No, it is of course meant to say June. How has no one noticed till now? Anyway, don't think I can change it :s
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    Maybe next months can be June 
    ricecakebobabricksAdzbadboyLostInTranslation
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,897
    I just naturally assumed it was because you were not going to be around at the end of the month and the winner would be announced in July.   :p

(Actually didn't notice, goes to show I'm the last person to call as a witness)
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    MattsWhat said:
    Erm..  Yeah intentional, it was a competition to see who spotted it.

No, it is of course meant to say June. How has no one noticed till now? Anyway, don't think I can change it :s
    Mods/admins can edit it, I think?
    MattDawson
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,804
    @CapnRex101 and @drdavewatford could you edit the title to July please?

Just started opening my packets so look forward to come up with something.
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    edited June 2016
    snowhitie said:
    @CapnRex101 and @drdavewatford could you edit the title to July please?
    yes please change it TO July... from um what were we changing again?

(really it should say June)
    ^ d'oh that was clever of me!
    bobabricks
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    Just don't let any little children jump in the enclosure 
    77ncaachampskiki180703MynattAdzbadboyGoldchains
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    ^Very Nice, I might suggest adding a crocodile to the scene if you have one.
    @Rainstorm26 Good plan, thanks!

@MattsWhat hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting extra pic, bit at least it gives the thread another bump ;)
    Bumblepantsbandit778MattDawsonMattsWhatcatwranglerkiki180703
    Right all, no rules broken so far (although I am still trying to spot the cmf in @Bumblepants ' entry!)
    I had no chance to build anything extra this month - every free evening was in the gym or out on the bike.  Next few days I'll only be online if I can find some working internet on the way down from Glasgow (and I have the energy to lift my phone!) - so won't be judging until after the 3rd - I haven't forgotten you.

Keep up the good builds!

Oh, and BUMP!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,589
    edited June 2016
    ^I thought a Disney Minidoll would be enough to count? I don't have any of the CMFs and just have my kids stuff to work with.
    edited June 2016
    MattsWhat said:
    I'm going to say it has to be a Disney cmf (simply to keep a lid on what else Disney owns - I'd be opening up Star Wars for example).
    And to make it as even as possible I'm going to say the mini has to be stock, sorry @bobabricks .  This is because otherwise I'd have to decide if I would accept only the legs or only the head etc.
    I hope that makes sense to everyone, apologies if it stifles creativity a bit, just trying to keep it a bit focused at least! 
    ^To keep a lid on the possible options it has to include a whole Disney CMF (or stand in - any old stand in is fine, but must still represent one of the CMFs)

As your entry made me chuckle, for judging purposes I will be swapping Mr. Freeze for Captain Hook - he looks like he might be the kind of guy who started the date with:
    "Elsa, do you know how much a polar bear weighs? No? Well, it's enough to break the ice, hi, I'm Captain Hook."
    bandit778snowhitieAllBrickcatwranglerkiki180703
    Right then, just a handful of entries but still a nightmare to judge - especially being tired all week.  But without futher ado, the winner is going to be @TheOriginalSimonB (PM incoming).

Thanks for taking part everyone, I actually enjoyed looking to see what people came up with (until I realised I had to choose a winner), and some really nice builds :)

Don't forget to head on over to http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/24050/2016-monthly-building-contest-july-lego-noir#latest for this months contest!

catwranglersnowhitiestlux
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,085
    That would have been my pick with the Peter Pan vignette a close second. Nice builds all around! 
    MattsWhatcatwranglersnowhitiekiki180703
    Wow. smacked of gob and all that!  Thanks.

And that takes the pressure off the Noir contest as I haven't got a clue as yet.
    bandit778catwranglersnowhitiekiki180703
    Congrats @TheOriginalSimonB - really original! This was a great contest, I've been thinking of making a vignette for each set of minifigures and that's how I'm going to display them.

I've been breaking my head about the noir one too, actually might use it as an excuse to re-watch some films to get inspiration ;)
    catwrangler