Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Market Street - what's a reasonable amount to pay?

DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 186

I've got the chance to pick up #10190 Market Street from someone fairly local to me. The set appears complete (there are a few pieces in a sandwich bag inside the box, including the tan/grey tiles for the rooftop). The instructions are in very good condition, the box is structurally sound, but has quite a lot of shelf wear and some parcel tape damage. I won't say what's being asked for it as I want to get a gut feeling reaction from you guys to try and work out if it's a reasonable price - I've looked on Bricklink but it doesn't look like there's a similar condition item on there at the moment, and there's a fairly substantial price gap between Bricklinked ones and ones with the box and instructions, but from the sounds of it in slightly better condition than this.

For me personally, it's a set that would go on display and one that I'm willing to pay the right money for, but only the right money.

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Gut feeling without looking - £400 maybe.
  • bsiu922bsiu922 SF Bay Area, CAMember Posts: 439
    I picked up one locally few year ago,  miss about 20 pieces,  with a beat up instruction and no box,  US$80.   I think it is more depends on what the seller want!  But the market Street is my least Favor of all the modulars!  So, it will depends on How much you want it!
  • Brick_BreakdownBrick_Breakdown Niagara FallsMember Posts: 88
    edited May 2016
    £500-600 is reasonable because it has a box 

but id offer £300-350 and see how the seller responds 
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    DB361 said:

I'm willing to pay the right money for, but only the right money.
    This is similar to asking what is a good % discount at which to buy set X.

This is greatly subjective.  There's an amount of money, unique to you, that you can yank out of your wallet that would make it worthwhile for you to own, yet still allow you to sleep at night.  Figure that number out, then pay less.
    BACbrixmonstblitzmadforLEGOtallblocktookiki180703gmonkey76SumoLegopharmjodJern92
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    I'm agreeing with @TheLoneTensor ;
    I would be happy paying $800 but you may be willing to pay more or less. It's hard to put a price on it that is universally accepted as "reasonable."
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,219
    Completely subjective. Your definition of a "fair" price may be different than another's. 
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 586
    edited May 2016
    I think as good an indication as any as to what is reasonable for a local sale is to check selling (not asking) prices on Ebay and then subtract 20-30% from that to account for what the seller is saving by not having to pay shipping and Ebay fees. 

Based on that, I'd offer $320 - $400 Euro, maybe a little more if I was able to verify it was 100% complete.

Off topic:  What an ugly modular.  I think it would look much better in another color.  I'm thinking of bricklinking it in a shade of yellow or green...

• crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    ^^^ Quite right.  My idea of a fair price on a $150 used set would be no more than $225.  50% markup is about all I would pay for most "collectible"  sets.  Im in it for the build and play not to collect or pay the heavily inflated prices. 
    MattDawsonkiki180703
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    If it's mostly complete, and I actually want it, I will pay up-to 200% of the original asking price, accounting for inflation.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 870
    It doesn't look like the missing pieces are material - in that they could all be replaced for 5-6p each say.  I'd consider the additional price of a box and instructions, using recent pricing,no ver a Bricklinked set - so can't see what the instructions are like, but a full, used set must have a quite high value.  The box does not look in good nick so that for me would be <50% of a good condition version (my point being you could sell on instructions and box if they were not important to you, or that's what they'd cost you to replace).

So if you wanted to value as "sum of parts" I'd think of it like that.  So ideally then you want to pay a bit less than that, whatever it amounts to.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,330
    I have yet to see a photo of this set that looks flattering.  Particularly, with the amount of design care that goes into new modulars, it looks worse and worse.

That said, buy it for $250.00 and sell it to me for $350.00.  Everybody wins.  Except the guy selling it.  And the middle-man.  So, basically, just I win.  But that works for me.  As it should.
    bobabrickskiki180703SprinkleOtterARo2891MattsWhatricecake
  • ToddMyersToddMyers Cincinnati, OHMember Posts: 399
    I sold mine for $750.  My box was in excellent shape, the set was complete, and the instructions were in excellent shape.  Cheapest available on BrickLink is $510 with no box and no instuctions.  Split the difference and make it $630?  Average used sold on BrickLink is $660.

This is still a large demand for this set (even though it's probably the ugliest modular, those that want a complete set of modulars seem to be willing to shell out a decent amount for this one).  So... you can go for low, but if your seller has a clue, he can likely make a better profit elsewhere.

Also, @monstblitz - 20 to 30% seems excessive.  I have not sold on eBay, but I had thought their fees were around 10%, and shipping costs should not factor in because buyers typically pay for that anyway.
    SumoLegokiki180703
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,819
    I have no problem subtracting 20-30% from eBay prices. If the person selling isn't using eBay that's not my problem and eBay is far more supportive of buyers so there are always risks and pitfalls to a seller on eBay (especially one that doesn't sell regularly selling a high dollar item). So, you want to sell locally, I'm probably gonna offer low and see how badly you want it gone.
    monstblitzkiki180703
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    It's ugly isn't it? $50.
    bobabricksAllBrickkiki180703
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 586
    ToddMyers said:
    I sold mine for $750.  My box was in excellent shape, the set was complete, and the instructions were in excellent shape.  Cheapest available on BrickLink is $510 with no box and no instuctions.  Split the difference and make it $630?  Average used sold on BrickLink is $660.

This is still a large demand for this set (even though it's probably the ugliest modular, those that want a complete set of modulars seem to be willing to shell out a decent amount for this one).  So... you can go for low, but if your seller has a clue, he can likely make a better profit elsewhere.

Also, @monstblitz - 20 to 30% seems excessive.  I have not sold on eBay, but I had thought their fees were around 10%, and shipping costs should not factor in because buyers typically pay for that anyway.
    I usually base offer prices or purchasing decisions off those sold auctions with "free shipping" as I think those are an easier to interpret baseline of the true market value.  In that instance, sellers are paying the cost of shipping. 
    pharmjodkiki180703
  • ToddMyersToddMyers Cincinnati, OHMember Posts: 399
    Well, I guess everyone is free to go for the lowball offer -- the worst the seller can do is say no (or ignore the lowball offer completely).
    SumoLegokiki180703
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    its ugly. yea
    (There are two ways to read that comment...)
    cheshirecatryjaykiki180703Pitfall69bricktuarymatticus_bricksJern92dmcc0
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,136
    Lots of hate for the red headed step child of the modular series :)  I personally find it to be charming. It's definitely on the bottom of the list when it comes to looks but I still like it.
    Legoboykiki180703
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    SumoLego said:
    Oh sh!t... You're right. Thank god she isn't on here!  Just so there is no confusion - I married up :)

BuriedinBricksbandit778SumoLegoOldfankiki180703Jern92SirBen
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,887
    There is now a @CircleK sized hole in the wall as he back-pedals furiously away from one of his posts.
    CircleKbobabrickscatwranglerMattDawsonkiki180703Jern92
    CircleK said:
    SumoLego said:
    Oh sh!t... You're right. Thank god she isn't on here!  Just so there is no confusion - I married up :)

Nobody marries down...
    MattDawsonkiki180703
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,819
    Well, no man marries down.
    bandit778kiki180703CircleKPitfall69