Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Which modular to buy? Pet Shop? Detective Office or Perisian?

BatmanBatman VaMember Posts: 20
Have a $200 gift card that I received as a gift. Which set is best buy? I'm thinking pet shop b/c it may be retired soon? 

Or should I buy something else, like the Ferris Wheel, or Simpons set? Any word on when the Ghostbusters Firehouse will be retired?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    Is this a one off or are you likely to buy them all within a year?

If one off, which one do you like best? Buy that one.

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    edited May 2016

From the sets you mention that one that is closest to retirement is the Pet Shop. You should have plenty of time to buy the other sets on your list. My question though would be, are you planning to buy the rest of the modulars with your own money (or perhaps expect more gift cards or other monetary gifts you can buy them with)?

One modular all by itself doesn't look that great - you kind of do have to build a street with them with at least three buildings. The only exception to this would probably be the Parisian, which is pretty sweet even on its own. The other sets you mention could look impressive alone, especially the Ferris Wheel.

Buying large sets like the ones on your list do require more planning and consideration than small sets. Do you have the space to display them? Do you need to buy other sets to make them look whole? Like with the Ghostbusters HQ you definitely have to buy the Ecto-1, otherwise it doesn't make sense, or with The Simpsons set you probably also want to get the collectible characters. So it really depends on which theme/collection you want to commit to on the longer term, or if you just want to buy one impressive set to display on its own.

Having a $200 gift card to spend on LEGO is a good problem though, so enjoy the process of picking the set you like the most. :) 

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,404
    The only thing I would add to the above is that Pet Shop has been out of stock for a couple of months at Lego.com and I personally don't expect to see it ever back in stock. Right now the only place as far as I know that still has Pet Shop new is Amazon or maybe Ebay but those don't take your gift card.
  • BatmanBatman VaMember Posts: 20
    CCC said:
    Is this a one off or are you likely to buy them all within a year?

If one off, which one do you like best? Buy that one.

I'll probably buy them all by end of the year. So far I have started my modular with the Bank set. 
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    I feel like this has been discussed alot. And each time this type of thread arrives it is usually shut down for redundancy.
    SumoLego
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,390
    It's solicited some good advice so we'll leave it open for now.
    BACbrixkiki180703BOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    Pet Shop is a good set. I'll throw Tower Bridge into the mix too if you want an impressive display piece.
  • mattgunn18mattgunn18 BCMember Posts: 1
    I have all the current available modulars and pet shop was actually my least favourite. It's still great, buti like the others (including both Simpson sets)