Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10253 - Big Ben

Comments

• mnbvcmnbvc Member Posts: 135
    I am so excited for this. 

I've not been posting recently because I've been trying to curb my Lego spending - I found myself nearly justifying £1000 of sets that I didn't really want; I just felt like the collector in me needed them.

So I logged out of everywhere - and then this popped up on my Facebook, and I am so excited, it's reminded me of what spending money on Lego should be like:  because I desperately want to build something, not because I fear it being part of a set that I "need". 
    Bumblepantskiki180703TechnicNickshikadiAdzbadboy
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 289
    €249,99 in Belgium
    €219,99 in Germany
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,860
    Covi said:
    €249,99 in Belgium
    €219,99 in Germany
    if you lived in Belgium,
    would it be better to go to Germany to buy it?
    that after all is €30.

• IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,099
    FYI.... my b/w pic of the Palace of Westminster was a USA Samsonite glued display model, from circa 1963.  It was created at the Detroit LEGO model shop... and those are 3 Samsonite executives behind the model, not AFOLs.... ;-)

From 1961-65 all USA Samsonite LEGO elements were produced at the Stratford Ontario Samsonite plant (until April 1965 when the Loveland Colorado USA plant opened up).  And all USA bound sets had their boxes produced in the Detroit Samsonite plant... which also had the USA LEGO model shop... until 1965 when it moved to Colorado.

Here is a 1962 Toys & Novelties magazine article talking about it......

Images from Chapter 73 of my Collectors Guide... "LEGO Production by Country".
    catwranglerklatu003kiki180703
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,454
    Wow - a sign of the times, when the article starts by saying "In Detroit, 12 pretty construction workers..." (my emphasis).
    MattsWhatklatu003kiki180703
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^I dunno, I reckon they would still pass as pretty these days.
    Furrysaurus
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    MattsWhat said:
    ^I dunno, I reckon they would still pass as pretty these days.
    But you're not allowed to SAY it in these enlightened times.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,818
    Shipped without charge to lego retailers ...

Does owning a bricklink store count? :-)

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited June 2016
    I find this photo amusing.  Since it uses wrenches for the clock hands, someone at Lego clearly thought it would be a good idea to include in the marketing all the other leftover tools from the "tool wheel."

Either that, or Big Ben requires a LOT of maintenance!
    tallblocktooricecakecatwranglerkiki180703AdzbadboyGothamConstructionCobluedragon77ncaachampsGoldchains
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,099
    edited June 2016

Here's a circa 1960-63 UK glued retailer LEGO display model of just the tower, on a much larger scale...

Definitely the smaller tower has much nicer detailing... but then again back in the early 1960s there were only about 138 different LEGO parts available to build with.

tallblocktoocatwranglerkiki180703snowhitie77ncaachamps
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited June 2016
    ^apparently of those 138, 0 of them came in brick yellow.  Buy hey, it was the 60s, I'm sure nobody noticed.
    Aanchirkiki180703
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    edited June 2016
    Are you sure that Swinging 60s London hadn't painted all its key landmarks groovy colours? Maybe it's totally authentic. 
    Aanchirkiki180703pharmjod
    i placed a order for Baby Big Ben, (the £24.99 one.)
    i plan one day to display the 2 of them side by side,
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,248
    ^ That is something I am considering since @xiahna has decided she wants Big Ben, she wants to turn it into a working time piece... Guess I'm going to have to brush up on my Technics skills.
    catwranglerchrisalddintallblocktookiki180703Adzbadboy
  • DonDon San DiegoMember Posts: 63
    I think the problem with making it a real clock is going to be that there appears to be a single shaft which both hands attach to. Coaxial shafts is going to be a challenge I think!
    (I would love to be wrong, as making it actually tell time is appealing to me as well.)
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,809

Don said:
    I think the problem with making it a real clock is going to be that there appears to be a single shaft which both hands attach to. Coaxial shafts is going to be a challenge I think!
    (I would love to be wrong, as making it actually tell time is appealing to me as well.)
    Agreed. The main way I've seen coaxial shafts done in past sets is with Technic turntables, the smallest of which is still much too large for this model!

Chances are the only way to make this model actually tell time would be to integrate actual watch faces (LEGO branded or not is your choice).
    catwranglerMattDawson
  • DonDon San DiegoMember Posts: 63
    Another option is to live with degraded information. As in, animate both hands as they are to get a decent indication of the hour but not the minutes.

Might be able to do something crazy like decouple the shafts for one or two of the faces and have one face show hours while the other shows minutes. You'd just have to know which hands and faces to look at to coalesce the time.
    A notable drawback with this hack is that the faces would disagree which might look too goofy.

In these schemes I'd leave both hands on each face, you'd just ignore the minute hand for example.

Option #3 would be to fabricate some shaft and hand components smaller than existing Lego parts to actually allow coaxial shafts. But then of course it's not pure Lego...
    catwrangler
    You can probably have one hand fixed to the dial, or the central part of it, and rotate that instead. That might mean that you'd have to lose the numerals, but it depends what you want and on what you're prepared to compromise to get it.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,835
    I am betting the #40220 London Bus poly will be the August promo item with this. Might be worth waiting to see if it is before jumping on the early release.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,624
    I am betting the #40220 London Bus poly will be the August promo item with this. Might be worth waiting to see if it is before jumping on the early release.
    Don't you mean July as it's released on July 1st? If so I hope they produce a Mini Volkswagen Beetle as the August Promo.
    SumoLegokiki180703
    ^Oh, thought the VIP early was July. Yeah a mini Beetle would be excellent.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,624
    #40220 - London Bus

chrisalddinkiki180703catwranglerpharmjodGothamConstructionCobobabricksRsa3377ncaachampsGoldchains
    Adzbadboy said:
    #40220 - London Bus

hot dam, that looks good.
    scrap that. that looks amazing.
    GIVE ~ME!
    bobabricks
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    The instructions are up - mostly common parts and a simple quick build - and an ad for Big Ben at the back. 

Seems likely it'll be tied to BB.
    77ncaachamps
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,942
    There is no way that is microscale.  

Maybe we'll see a Creator 'full size' version of this further down the road?
    tallblocktookiki180703Adzbadboy77ncaachamps
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,454
    I suspect it'll be a small box set, rather than a poly. Polys are numbered 30XXX.
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,308
    Could have sworn I already posted this, anyway: As a bit of a bus nerd, that's a must have for me.
    I suspect it'll be a small box set, rather than a poly. Polys are numbered 30XXX.
    has a poly ever had stickers?
    i think with it having stickers it will be in a box.
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    has a poly ever had stickers?
    i think with it having stickers it will be in a box.
    40079. The mini camper van 
    bobabricks
    TRU Rocket Racoon and TRU Hulk polybags have stickers as well.
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    SumoLego said:
    There is no way that is microscale.  

Maybe we'll see a Creator 'full size' version of this further down the road?
    This would be awesome!
    SumoLegokiki180703
    ^ Iconic, red and easy to engineer.
    tallblocktoo
    SumoLego said:
    ^ Iconic, red and easy to engineer.
    They might have a lot of fun trying to create all the subtle curves of the current model.
    SumoLego
  • spicypigspicypig GlasgowMember Posts: 229
    WESTMNISTER printed on the stick...
    spicypig said:
    WESTMNISTER printed on the stick...
    I cannot wait for "after careful consideration our designers decided it would be better to redesign the spelling of words for the stickers for better adhesiveness. Stickers are not the ultimate open source design product but I guess you can try and make your own with Ms paint and a crappy inkjet printer."
    MattsWhatkiki180703catwranglerSumoLegobobabricksAdzbadboyastra
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited June 2016
    This is a picture of a model from the 70's right?
    Bumblepants said:
    Stickers are not the ultimate open source design product but I guess you can try and make your own with Ms paint and a crappy inkjet printer."
    That's how I roll... except I use a dot matrix printer.
    Bumblepantsbandit778
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,065
    A sure fire purchase for me; only reinforced by the castle promo coming up beginning of the month.
  • LEGOMAD73LEGOMAD73 STAFFORDSHIREMember Posts: 146
    purchased - yay
    chrisalddin
    ^It's out - but I am waiting for the June 30th to July 10th(?) Castle Promo.
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    Wait there's a castle promo :(. I should've waited 
    ^yes in a couple of weeks - similar to the classic space and classic pirate promos each of the last two years.
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    I couldn't wait for the castle promo, so I guess that means I get a second: one to rock and one to stock!
    SumoLego
  • BatmanBatman VaMember Posts: 20
    How rare will this set be?
    ^ I don't know if that's quite the question yet as opposed to, how well will this sell next to the Tower Bridge - and then how well will it do POST Tower Bridge?  I think both of these models together will be quite fancy - standalone, maybe not so much but that's just my opinion.
    Mordoor
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,296
    meh, that's actually 240€ here and not 220. still a good deal I guess, but way above the most I spent on a model so far. (155, for the ferris wheel)
    chertik
  • ARo2891ARo2891 MAMember Posts: 114
    what the sh*t, thats tall...
    Jern92CM4Sdutchlegofan50Adzbadboy
    Except that Sydney Opera House ought to be almost twice the size.
    77ncaachampsSumoLegoMattDawson