Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

In Need of a Mechanism

wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
I'm completely stumped. I need a single low profile mechanism which will simultaneously lift and rotate. Everything I've been able to come up with does one or the other, but I really need both. Any ideas? 

A random poly pulled from my small goodie chest filled with them for a design that'll work for my needs!

Comments

• MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    edited May 2016
    Do you mean like a pillar/turntable that rotates and rises or something that rises on one side and rotates?
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    I need it to lift a platform 4-5 cm while rotating. Maybe low profile wasn't a terribly good description. It just can't be too tall as it's going to have to be hidden under the main build. 
    I just had a bit of an idea. 

Id like it to all operate with one crank, so I could use the flat gears for the vertical lift. Using those will make it so that my primary concern is how to make the structure in lifting rotate. 
  • BobkovBobkov Member Posts: 28
    You mean like a worm gear? (4716) Might get you where you want to go
    chuckpkiki180703waynegg
  • mediumsnowmanmediumsnowman USAMember Posts: 40
    Can't say I can help... but I misread the title as "In Need of a Mexican" :8
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited May 2016
    In the new carbon freezing chamber set they use one of these:

Now it's not great because it tilts rather than lifts, but if you use 2 of them and 3 axles you can do what you want. No LDD as on my phone so I'll try to describe.
    Use a longish axle threaded (this will be handle) through a technic brick then attach one of above. Then another axle (maybe 6 long) no threading. Then another of above, followed by a long axle threaded vertically and into you 'platform'. Turning the handle turns platform and pushing raises the platform. Fairly big though! 
    waynegg
    Bobkov said:
    You mean like a worm gear? (4716) Might get you where you want to go
    I tried out the worm gear first. With it I can get the up and down but I'm not able to accomplish the rotation. I'm thinking I need to have a rotational mechanism which isn't anchored and with ancillary gears which climb up one of these: http://brickset.com/parts/design-3743
    MattsWhat said:

Now it's not great because it tilts rather than lifts, but if you use 2 of them and 3 axles you can do what you want. No LDD as on my phone so I'll try to describe.
    Use a longish axle threaded (this will be handle) through a technic brick then attach one of above. Then another axle (maybe 6 long) no threading. Then another of above, followed by a long axle threaded vertically and into you 'platform'. Turning the handle turns platform and pushing raises the platform. Fairly big though! 
    I'm not quite wrapping my head around your description. wjat do you mean by threaded bs non threaded axels?
    Do you mean like a pillar/turntable that rotates and rises or something that rises on one side and rotates?
    pillar/turntable that rises and rotates, preferably in a controlled manner so that it comes back down in the same position in which it started
  • yg77yg77 Member Posts: 32
    could you place a tire underneath the platform for the secondary rotating mechanism?  as in its geared on one side to the lifting mechanism, then the dial/lever whatever is also geared to a tire that simply spins to rotate on the other side?   This would need to be connected to the first mechanism in some way, so it stays level with it as it rises and thus allows rotations during the rise & fall.
    waynegg
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 237
    yg77 said:
    could you place a tire ...
    Yesterday I was playing with the worm screw part and found that if the axel is rotated, but something at a fixed position is fitted between the threads, then the screw moves up or down (as you'd expect with a screw). 

I hadn't gotten around to figuring out how to apply the rotational force, but maybe a rubber tire would allow the right mix of friction and slippage, so that the rotation engine can stay in one spot, yet apply enough force to twist the axle, which would cause it to rise.

If I have time I'll try to build it, but meantime maybe it gives someone an idea?
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,195
    takes a bit of space, but I think that should work.

turning the green wheel causes the yellow part to slide up or down. then it pushes on the blue worm and the toothed bars at the top make it rotate.
    wayneggkiki180703
    yg77 said:
    could you place a tire underneath the platform for the secondary rotating mechanism?  as in its geared on one side to the lifting mechanism, then the dial/lever whatever is also geared to a tire that simply spins to rotate on the other side?   This would need to be connected to the first mechanism in some way, so it stays level with it as it rises and thus allows rotations during the rise & fall.
    That's actually an awesome idea and much simpler than where I was going (I was tinkering with an overly complicated clockwork construct that was getting much larger than I wanted). Let me throw that together. If it works you get a poly! Great idea!
    Fauch said:
    takes a bit of space, but I think that should work.

turning the green wheel causes the yellow part to slide up or down. then it pushes on the blue worm and the toothed bars at the top make it rotate.
    That too is an awesome idea! It just takes up more space than I think I can hide. A note, you'll need to use a 1/2 Bush http://brickset.com/parts/4239601 on the cross axel to hold the worm gear fixed. It slides up and down the axel freely without it and won't lift. 
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    waynegg said:
    MattsWhat said:

I'm not quite wrapping my head around your description. wjat do you mean by threaded bs non threaded axels?

Ha, my description sucks. By threaded I just meant through a technic brick (one built into the frame). I think you have an answer now, no point labouring it, not sure how well it would fit. 
    @yg77

Please pm me your address, and thanks for the inspiration!
    MattsWhat said:
    waynegg said:
    MattsWhat said:

Ha, my description sucks. By threaded I just meant through a technic brick (one built into the frame). I think you have an answer now, no point labouring it, not sure how well it would fit. 
    Don't feel bad. I'm not always so great at explaining things either. I appreciate your effort though.