Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

When do you guys mark sets as "Owned"?

TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 340
I don't mark my sets as "owned" until I've assembled it, but I wondered if other people did it at different times?

When you've ordered it?
When it's shipped?
When it arrives?

I just like hearing my fellow Bricksetters' opinions.

Happy Friday!

Comments

• BigOnBricksBigOnBricks Member Posts: 22
    I do it whenever a set arrives in the mail or I bring it home from the store.  Made the mistake of buying a lot of stuff and not marking it as owned.  I ended up with a mess on my hands.  I had to go through everything and update Brickset.  That's why I do it right away now.
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    As soon as its purchased.  Otherwise I am sure to forget about it.  I can imagine many don't for various reasons.  Curious what others say. 
    madforLEGOBumblepantsAragosta
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    When it arrives and is in my possession. I have created my own other categories for when something is "Pending" (on order or part of an ongoing trade) or "Unbuilt".  
    ricecakedinogirl1375
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,290
    When I own it.
    TyresOFlahertyMattsWhatMatthismcflyricecakeReviloogel
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    Possession is nine-tenths of the law...
    khmellymel
  • ChrisbstmChrisbstm USAMember Posts: 151
    If it's 100% complete parts and minifigures, and instructions. That's my criteria 
    Ronyar
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,860
    When it arrives.
    or if it from a shop, when i get home.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    edited May 2016
    As soon as it's in my home. If it's mine, whether I've built it or not, I own it.
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 348
    I've been tempted to marked something as owned when I've ordered it, but then worry about what if it never arrives or I have to send it back because it's damaged - I'd never remember to mark it as unowned if I never ended up actually having the set.

So I definitely wait until I have the set in my hands at home.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,790
    When it arrives/I bring it home. 
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 938
    Just like @BigOnBricks, as soon as it arrives on the mail or I bring it back from the store... or to the office when I leave to "run an errand" in the middle of the day :)

Similar to @LostInTranslation, I created a category for "New In Box"; do like the "Pending" category though.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,451
    When I have it in my hands.

That can make using the mouse difficult though, so sometimes I'll put it down first.
    TyresOFlahertychrisalddinToc13BumblepantsGothamConstructionCoricecakedinogirl1375khmellymel
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 340
    I like to see you guys take this as seriously as I do!
    this have gave me some new ideas on how to do it.
    adding a pending and an unopened to my list may be a idea.
    it will help me keep a better idea of what i sill need to build.
    @Chrisbstm Yeah, I have my old sets from when I was a kid, and I can't mark them as Owned until I have 100% of the pieces and figs...
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,790
    I mark things as owned when pieces are missing (e.g. I got it secondhand with missing bits), but I mention it in the Notes section. 
    RogerKirk
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,461
    I mark them as owned when I find enough parts in a used lot to identify a set. I use one of the user checkboxes as "sorted/complete" and another for "complete less minifigures" to identify completed sets. As a result I have 234 owned, but only 33 marked as complete.
    catwrangler
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,705

Its in my wanted list first, when I buy it I add it to owned (but keep in wanted) and when it arrives I take it off my wanted list.

Simples

SMC said:

Its in my wanted list first, when I buy it I add it to owned (but keep in wanted) and when it arrives I take it off my wanted list.

Simples

this dude is smart.
    SMCTyresOFlaherty
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,308
    When I next turn the pc or iPad on after obtaining it. Mind you, I don't have the budget to build up a backlog that would make me think to only add once built.
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 752
    I mark it as owned as soon as I order it. I would forget otherwise. It's easier to unmark it later if I have to return set or set doesn't arrive which is not that often.

I'm more likely to forget to unmark a set as owned if I sell it! However, I do review my collection often. It helps me decide what I should try to buy and what I should let go off - which isn't much!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    New set: When I buy a set for my collection.
    Old set: When I own the parts and instructions for it. Speaking anything more about old sets will just start the 'what constitutes a complete used set?' discussion again (which I think has its own thread)
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    Mark as owned as soon as I've brick linked the parts. But without the spares, instructions and the box.  What do you mean, I don't really own the set!?

i tend to mark it off when I've made a purchase, particularly online, otherwise I can tend to forget.  If I buy it in store then sometimes a lot later, when I find it sitting neglected in a corner.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    luckyruss said:
    Mark as owned as soon as I've brick linked the parts. But without the spares, instructions and the box.  What do you mean, I don't really own the set!?

i tend to mark it off when I've made a purchase, particularly online, otherwise I can tend to forget.  If I buy it in store then sometimes a lot later, when I find it sitting neglected in a corner.
    Again, that is treading into the other topic, not sure we want to go down that rabbit hole.. I would say if you count it as a set, then it is a set. However, if you ever sell it, you should note the cicumstances to the potential buyer. I'm sure there are many folks that have a set built, but long since lost the instructions and threw the box away, and spare parts into a bin. My feeling is if you have the parts that 'came in the box' (even if those parts are bricklinked) you have the set. My gray area comes when you start talking about having any stickers with the set as well. But really I think the major agreement in the other threads about 'what a complete set is' is that people will disagree as to what constitutes as 'a complete set'.
    Pitfall69Ronyar
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,536
    When I bring it through the front door. Sometimes a few days later because I'm so stupidly busy.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,942
    I mark sets as I have ordered them, and like @SMC , I leave it marked as wanted until it arrives. Just to tip toe round the old rabbit hole though, I only consider sets I have brought as a complete item as "owned", bricklinked builds I don't mark as owned purely because most of them have substitutions for certain parts, whether it be colour or mould variations. For me, bricklinking a discontinued set is just an exercise in building something that is as close to the original, but without spending a fortune.
    Pitfall69
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    This may be weird, but I only mark sets as owned if I keep them together as a set. Sets I buy for parts I don't mark as owned. I'm mostly a MOC-er, not a collector, so most sets will end up in my parts bins. But I do like to keep tab of the sets I bought because I really like them. I normally mark them as owned after I receive them.
    Pitfall69SumoLegoTyresOFlahertyTheMaker37snowhitiekhmellymel
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 561
    When I paid
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,062
    Not to mention to "own" a set you have to have owned it from the get go and opened the sealed box. You must have the original pieces, instructions, box and any extra pieces to truly "own" the set. As long as you select all that criteria you "own" the set.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    ^So, if you get, let's say, a used "Red Beard Runner" from someone else, you don't consider that as owned by you?
    SumoLegokiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,927
    ^ Maybe it's a lease.  

Are there reverter rights for the original owner should you die or be deemed incompetent?  Does your Lego deed for that set indicate you are purchasing it in fee tail, rather than fee simple?  Can never be to careful about Lego spendthrifts ruining your family estate.

Is there a fertile octaginarian?
    Pitfall69kiki180703
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,062
    ^^technically yes. Classic Pirates follow no rule other than their own.
    Pitfall69Bumblepants
    I like how people click the "own" box and the set isn't even available for several months. I can understand a few peoplw that get to review the set, but 1000's of people??? C'mon...
    SumoLegokiki180703snowhitie
    I swear you guys tell random people to start this discussion just to get me going ;)
    SumoLegokiki180703Ronyar
    edited May 2016
    Pitfall69 said:
    I like how people click the "own" box and the set isn't even available for several months. I can understand a few peoplw that get to review the set, but 1000's of people??? C'mon...
    to be fair. i found i had miss clicked on a set today that is not out yet.
    i had hit owned and not want like i had meant to.
    fixed it now.
    the point is Miss Click's do happen.

however i do see your point on that there is not going to be 1000 Miss Click's.

(edit)
    oh oh oh..... Maybe it is people who have Pre-Ordered a copy of the set?
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    I only own a set if it is complete with all period correct parts AND instructions, the box is nice but not necessary to actually own it. 
    Pitfall69kiki180703Ronyar
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 480
    It's when ever I have the set physically in hand.  When I buy in store, opening as a gift or physically arrives at my house.  Now if it's mailed, it's the day I take possession of the box.  So If I'm out of town or need to sign for the box the next it doesn't count until I have possession of the box.

Pitfall69GothamConstructionCokiki180703oldtodd33
    chrisalddin said:

Miss Click's...

... 1000 Miss Click's.
    Miss Click was my 4th grade teacher.
    Bumblepantsbandit778kiki180703Pitfall69bobabrickssnowhitie
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,536
    Regarding owning a set that isn't out yet - perhaps some people use the check boxes for other purposes. Just don't ask me what they are or why they use them...
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,832
    I usually check it after ordering online or when i get home. If I wait I might forget and buy again. Somehow I ended up with two Dr Who sets. This is what happens when you send all your packages to a different continent than the one you are presently living.
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I check it once I have it in my possession as well, and also have a separate checkbox for "Unbuilt".
    Pitfall69 said:
    I've noticed that as well. Must be the same geniuses that always have to write the comment "FIRST!"
    SprinkleOtter
    There should be an entry for a Boba Fett with a white rangefinder.
    xwingpilot
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
    I just ordered architecture sets from Amazon and then clicked them owned on Brickset so I won't re-buy them in a senior moment.  It happens.
    snowhitie
  • mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    I click the button as soon as I have the set in hand. 
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 402
    edited May 2016
    I'd not thought of adding a 'Not Built' field before - though I keep the ACM updated with this info, it's not always the easiest thing to see at a glance. I've quickly gone through my collection  with the new field, built a query and now know that I have 31 sets I've never built, containing over 17,000 bricks. I know that's small fry for some, but it was quite a shock for me as I'm not a reseller or MISB addict and don't really consider myself that much of a collector!

To answer the question - like some others above, I mark it owned as soon as its ordered so that I can't forget that I own it and order another copy a couple of days later. A shocking memory may be why I have 17,000 bricks sitting in their cardboard prisons around the house...
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 621
    As soon as the online set order is confirmed, I mark the set "owned".  But I also leave the "wanted" box checked until I have the set in my hands; only then do I remove the "wanted" check.  So if I want to see all the sets that I've ordered and are pending delivery, I search through my "wanted" tabs until I see those sets that have both "owned" and "wanted" selected.

I supposed I could create a custom tab for this situation, but I'm already using mine for other purposes (box/packaging included, sealed, and used-to-own).
    say think we can get @Huw to add one more custom tab field that we can program for our own use bringing the number up to 5 from 4?
    i don't know about other members but 1 more field would be a big help for me.
    maaaaaaa
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,248
    If ordering online, as soon as I've linked through the checkout process, I can always untick if the order is cancelled.
  • happyskunkyhappyskunky Michigan Member Posts: 133
    I have 7 polybags coming from Amazon and Ebay and I wait until I get them and open the packages.

Good question though!