Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

How do you stop dust?

EmbowEmbow U.S TexasMember Posts: 9
edited May 2016 in Collecting
I have several LEGO sets displayed around my room, but dust always seems to be a problem. Dust detracts from the overall look of the sets, and in most of the time, when I'm attempting to dust them off, there's always parts that I can't get at. So my question is, what's the best way to clean the dust, or is it somehow easier to stop it from collecting in the first place? (I'm mainly basing this around the Tower of Orthanc, because it's really hard to clean it without taking pieces off).
Lordmoral

Comments

• Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,497
    I have  the same  problem  with #76042 
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 494
    edited May 2016
    Jangbricks has a video on Youtube about keeping your display clean.  Essentially regular maintenance/dusting is the key I think if you want to keep your your Lego display out and clean! You can't stop the dust its inevitable!
  • ScatterbugScatterbug WalesMember Posts: 109
    Dust is inevitable. Use compressed air to access those hard to reach areas. Placing the set into a display cabinet will reduce the build up (although finding something big enough for ToO is problematic).
  • Yo_dAYo_dA IndianaMember Posts: 32
    The only way to stop dust would be to put the set in a sealed display case or cabinet, which is not very realistic for most of us. 

I've read of people rinsing their smaller sets in the sink and drying, but I've never bothered to do so myself. 

I use a long bristled paint bush to get at hard to reach areas and air duster canisters to quickly blow the dust off.
    madforLEGO
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 796
    edited May 2016
    I have my display on deep open shelves in our study. Having shelves above the display helps to reduce the dust that falls on it.

Every few weeks I clean the shelves and sets with a camera cleaning kit like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MOLJCVQ/
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,282
    As much as I would like my house to remain dust free, it is just impossible to stop dust from being in the air as well as settling on all things/objects in your house too. Moreover 'we' people are huge dust creators; tiny bits of dead skin cells we shed constantly that float in the air. Next to this, exterior factors such as: dust from bedsheets, clothing, curtains etc.; sand from the Sahara (at least in Europe); sea salt particles in the air; fine dust from emissions from factories, cargo trains and their payload, cars, boats, planes etc.
    Only remedy is to display your lego creations in air-tight glass display cases, and since I don't have those, I just have to accept dust as part of life, just like taxes and death. ;-)

@Embow
    Since you are from Texas, and it being quite common for people to have air-conditioning in their houses where you live, maybe that has an influence too on how much or little dust you have floating around inside your house?!

ps.
    There supposedly is a correlation between how much stuff you have in your house, and how much dust it all collects because of static electricity / electromagnetism.
    SumoLegomaaaaaaakiki180703
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,019
    I think all of the above is accurate - the only sure fire way to prevent dust from settling on your LEGO is to keep it sealed and tucked away - now thats no fun is it? :)

Ultimately, in keeping with the upkeep and displaying your LEGO you need to dust and clean not only the LEGO regularly but your HOME too!  

It's a lot of work but just one of those things....
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,887
    As mentioned above, not found a way to stop dust but for cleaning dust off, I either use a large make up brush (nicked from the wife) or I use a small hoover attachment with a pair of the tights (again nicked from the wife) over the nozzle to stop any small bits that might come off going into the hoover.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,338
    I've got a pair of UV light thingys and twice the normal amount of filters (media filters, HEPA filters, conventional filters) and I still have a ton of dust floating about my house.

@TheBigLegoski is quite right humans (and dogs) in the environment are the culprit - probably mausoleums are the only place that don't have dust issues.  

I occasionally use my battery powered leaf blower to really disturb the dust near my few displayed Lego pieces in my house.  Somewhat extreme, but very effective.
    TheBigLegoskikiki180703
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,402
    How about air purifiers? Are they a viable option?
  • Dtrimpi87Dtrimpi87 San DiegoMember Posts: 56
    I recently redid my Lego room and purchased a air purifier. I made sure it was rated for twice the square footsage of the room so that it turns the air over about 10 times an hour. It has been about 4 months now and I have not had to dust anything yet. When using a bright flashlight i can see a very very tiny amount of dust on the shelves but nothing to worry about yet. It does work well if you keep your displays in one room and always keep the door shut.
    AllBrickBrickDancerkiki180703Galactus
  • kidatheartkidatheart USAMember Posts: 10
    @Dtrimpi87: Would you so kindly share which air purifier your purchased?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,172
    I would say if you can to get a dedicated vacuum with a dust canister and use an attachment like this that someone else mentioned in another thread:
    http://www.amazon.com/Shutter-Blind-Plantation-Cleaning-Attachment/dp/B008MM42V6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It is a 'blinds' cleaner, but it is basically a brush with bristles long enough to allow for the vacuum to attract dust, but hopefully not LEGO bits.
    I say get a dedicated vacuum to ensure that if a part does fly off you can get it without having to go through the canister holding stuff from the rest of your home. For those who do not want to buy such a vacuum, have a dedicated bag, or clean out your container, before using your vacuum for cleaning you LEGO. I would use stuff like a little bauble to puff dust away, but it looks like that would make cleaning a MOC layout take an age to do.
    catwrangler
    This is the one I am currently using.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-True-HEPA-Allergen-Remover/dp/B00BWYO53G?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
    Dtrimpi87 said:

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-True-HEPA-Allergen-Remover/dp/B00BWYO53G?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
    Awesome! Will definitely look into this. Good ratings from site and from you. Thanks!
    Dtrimpi87 said:

Awesome! Will definitely look into this. Good ratings from site and from you. Thanks!
    One of the big reasons I like this one is because the air intake is in the front and the discharge is on top so it can be placed against a wall. Most smaller purifiers have the intake on the back and discharge in the front and require you to keep them at least a foot away from the wall for optimal circulation. They do go down in price too on Amazon. I believe I paid around $180 for mine at the time.
    Dtrimpi87 said:
    Dtrimpi87 said:

One of the big reasons I like this one is because the air intake is in the front and the discharge is on top so it can be placed against a wall. Most smaller purifiers have the intake on the back and discharge in the front and require you to keep them at least a foot away from the wall for optimal circulation. They do go down in price too on Amazon. I believe I paid around $180 for mine at the time.
    Gotcha! I'll probably buy this purifier albeit I'll wait for the price to go down just a teeny bit.
    NavyAsk said:
    I can recommend one of these... 

... It will get the job done - though minifigures may tip over once in a while, but somehow it even managed to blow the UCS badge of my 'Assault on Hoth' .  5/5
    That looks like a nice blower (haha anyways...) which one is this?
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 854
    This calls for a "Dustbusters!" meme.
    kidatheartTheBigLegoskikiki180703
  • Panda_HeroPanda_Hero The bottom of the Mariana TrenchMember Posts: 24
    I tend to just have a few air filters around my collection room. When that fails i just wave around one of those swiffer dusters.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,724
    bandit778 said:
    As mentioned above, not found a way to stop dust but for cleaning dust off, I either use a large make up brush (nicked from the wife) or I use a small hoover attachment with a pair of the tights (again nicked from the wife) over the nozzle to stop any small bits that might come off going into the hoover.
    I think this is going to be my solution. I haven't used foundation in forever, so I can certainly sacrifice a make-up brush to the Lego cause...
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,794
    Assembling in a completely sterile environment protected by glass or acrylic on all sides, and wearing a hazmat suit would probably also work quite well.
    TheBigLegoski
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,724
    richo said:
    Assembling in a completely sterile environment protected by glass or acrylic on all sides, and wearing a hazmat suit would probably also work quite well.
    And even then, you've got to worry about flies!

TheBigLegoskikbenjesbobabricksLordmoralJern92Rsa33
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 974
    Geez, people...just set up a class 100 cleanroom in your house....that's all ya gotta do :)
    OldfanGalactus
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 753
    The largest sets I have are the Tower Bridge and the Ferris Wheel, both of which I keep in my custom-made display cabinet together with my other modulars. Of course, I can't buy anything taller than the FW or it won't fit. And coming from a small village/town, custom-made cabinets are surprisingly cheap.
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 305
    Obligatory dust-related video:

• LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 852
    I was just checking out local Lego on gumtree and found a UCS falcon being sold....built inside a coffee table.
    what an amazing way to display this set and brilliant way of preventing dust.
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 265
    Dust, is generally human skin cells, so if your Lego is in a location near where you dress/undress you will get a lot more dust! Try to avoid having Lego displayed in such locations.

there are a number of 'static charge' dusters around that will remove a lot of lose dust, and I use a couple of computer tools to tackle the rest! As mentioned previously a compressed air / keyboard air cleaner will shift most things, and you can also buy keyboard vacuum cleaners. These are simple, small USB or 9v battery powered things that have dust attachments that can get most stuff shifted.

remember, when you vacuum a room with a lot of Lego, only use a cleaner that can contain the dust. Many simply cause more dust to be thrown up into the air, which will settle again...on your Lego!
  • kizkizkizkiz londonMember Posts: 95
    LuLego said:
    I was just checking out local Lego on gumtree and found a UCS falcon being sold....built inside a coffee table.
    what an amazing way to display this set and brilliant way of preventing dust.
    It looks like it's just sat on a shelf under the table. Not sure that the sides are enclosed
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 852
    Actually you're right about it not being enclosed. I hadn't spotted that.... But the idea got me thinking that it could be. Like a tortoise table. An enclosed glass Lego table would be good.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    @catwrangler that reminds me, I need to add a fly to my super lab MOC!

I've found that cases don't need to necessarily be sealed to prevent dust. My detolf glass cabinets have fairly sizeable slits going down all four corners and they keep out dust like a charm. And they are in my bedroom where I keep my clothes.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    I find that even displaying sets on a shelf below another shelf cuts down on a sizable percentage of dust.
    catwranglerkiki180703bobabricks
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    No airflow; no dust.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    I put a line of salt down at the entrance, and then sprinkled holy water all around the base of the shelves.  I haven't seen any results yet, but I have high hopes...
    Only hopes? Does that mean you haven't seen the results?

Haven't you been able to get in?
    GoldchainsPumpkin_3CK5stluxcatwranglerTheBigLegoskiGalactus
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,200
    does sulfur still settle on your sets?
    catwranglerGalactus
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 757
    edited September 2016
    I put a line of salt down at the entrance, and then sprinkled holy water all around the base of the shelves.  I haven't seen any results yet, but I have high hopes...
     Have you seen John Constantine's apartment? 

You need this much holy water. Don't forget the incantations on the sides of your door.

GoldchainscatwranglerBrickDancerLegogram
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 435
    Found this company that produces reasonable priced cases for Lego sets

http://www.puredisplay.com/pureshop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=136

kidathearttomahawker
  • bigdumbwookieebigdumbwookiee IndianaMember Posts: 7
    Put everything in vacuum sealed cases. :)
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,942
    Not sure I like the look of those puredisplay cases. They look a bit makeshift with the metal screws holding them together. I wonder if they can be glued instead?
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 153
    Does anyone have the Puredisplay cases?  It would be helpful to hear from someone with firsthand experience about the robustness and dust resistance of these.
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 435

Not sure I like the look of those puredisplay cases. They look a bit makeshift with the metal screws holding them together. I wonder if they can be glued instead?

The reason why I was looking at dust protection was the Darth Vader image i posted in the Star Wars General thread.. I'm getting quoted £500 for a custom made case. Which is a bit steep.

when I saw these, yes they are screws but also makes them flat pack, and built for certain Lego models. Which is unique.. Priced to sell. But as you say not a joined Perspex case.. 

• mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 309
    What I did for my Lego room is (and my wife thinks I'm nuts) put weather strip around the door and put a vent filter in the floor vent, you can find them on Amazon for 12 bucks for 8 and I find that it keeps the dust minimal 
    catwrangler
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255

Dtrimpi87 said:

I recently redid my Lego room and purchased a air purifier. I made sure it was rated for twice the square footsage of the room so that it turns the air over about 10 times an hour. It has been about 4 months now and I have not had to dust anything yet. When using a bright flashlight i can see a very very tiny amount of dust on the shelves but nothing to worry about yet. It does work well if you keep your displays in one room and always keep the door shut.

The amount of dust that does settle, do you just blow it off and let the purifier take care of it from there?
    My LEGO room is downstairs in the basement area; therefore we have a dehumidifier in the summer and an air purifier running for that entire floor; that keeps the dust minimal.  I also have found not having "sunlight" at least directly anyways, actually helps to keep down on the dust.  Not because you cannot see it, but for some reason it just seems to keep the issue at bay.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 973

SNIP
      I also have found not having "sunlight" at least directly anyways, actually helps to keep down on the dust.  Not because you cannot see it, but for some reason it just seems to keep the issue at bay.

By my understanding that's a combination of heat and (very minimal level) UV radiation killing and degrading microscopic organisms and particles respectively. 
    ^yeah you can't get too wrapped up in that stuff, you would spend a significant amount of time each day cleaning, it would drive one mad before long!
    Jackad7
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,226
    ^^ In that case, never search for eyelash mites...