Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Updating minifigures

xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
edited May 2016 in Everything else LEGO
Here's my updated version of sw205: Han Solo (Stormtrooper outfit) using parts from the latest OT Han and Stormtrooper:

Makes me wish TLG would do a Star Wars CMF series.

Show us your updated minifigures.
catwranglertallblocktookiki180703

Comments

• xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    ^ I guess if you were to try and update all your minifigures it would be a bit like that!

I should say that I don't actually own sw205, and my updated minifigure only existed briefly for the photo. The thought of actually having a non-official minifigure on display in my collection!

Having said that, there must be other minifigures that could be updated using current parts...

Since breaking my rule about only collecting OT sets I now own the latest OT TIE Pilot and the Rebels version (sw543 and sw621):

I guess technically the Rebels version is newer (2015 vs 2014), but they're both currently on sale at the same time in different sets. It's a shame they didn't have printed legs on the Rebels version, but other than that I'm surprised at how much I like the new printing. As an OT collector I really didn't think I'd like the stylised helmet. Having said that, it's inspired by Ralph McQuarrie's original concept art, so I guess it's not surprising it looks good.
    stevecook132kiki180703
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 976
    I like the body of the one on the left and the helmet on the one on the right.
    Does anyone else remove certain minifigure accessories for display? I'm not a fan of parts that obscure detailed printing, which is why Endor Leia isn't wearing her poncho and why The Inquisitor isn't wearing his helmet on my display shelves.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^For permanent displaying like in a frame or such, I limit accessories to ensure uniformity for visual reasons. So all Troopers will have the same size blaster, Jedi all have their light sabers. If the helmet is essential to character like Inquisitor, Ezra, Sabine, Rey, etc. then they will be holding it or placed in plate next to them using trans-clear 1x1 round brick.
    snowhitie
    Here's my updated version of sw205: Han Solo (Stormtrooper outfit) using parts from the latest OT Han and Stormtrooper:

It looks like I pre-emptied the updated minifigures that are included with the new Death Star. Now where can I get Han's new hair from... ;)
    starwars4ever
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,288
    Since breaking my rule about only collecting OT sets I now own the latest OT TIE Pilot and the Rebels version (sw543 and sw621):

I guess technically the Rebels version is newer (2015 vs 2014), but they're both currently on sale at the same time in different sets. It's a shame they didn't have printed legs on the Rebels version, but other than that I'm surprised at how much I like the new printing. As an OT collector I really didn't think I'd like the stylised helmet. Having said that, it's inspired by Ralph McQuarrie's original concept art, so I guess it's not surprising it looks good.
    Nah! The OT version (the dude on the left) is the best.
    The 'Rebels' version has the silly droopy moustachio misprint, which  also does not align with the helmet shape/mold. Plus the pilot on the left has nicer torso printing, and leg printing. IMO TLG should just put those 'OT' TIE-fighter and stormtroopers in the Rebel sets.
    *somehow hopes that some big-shot from TLG reads this and thinks: 'helvede, denne fyr er ret! Fra nu af må vi kun sætte originale trilogi stormtropper og TIE jagerpiloter i sæt, fordi de ser så meget køligere!'

• TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,288
    long live google translate  ;P
    xwingpilot said:
    It looks like I pre-emptied the updated minifigures that are included with the new Death Star.
    Thanks very much autocomplete!

If anyone buys #75159 and the minifigs are missing I can assure you it wasn't me who 'pre-emptied' them...
    SumoLegokiki180703snowhitie
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Here's my Biggs Darklighter.

The helmet is of course from the original in #7140. The torso and legs are from #75032. The head is from Bard the Bowman in #79013 but I've modified it by erasing the goatee and sideburns.

For Star Wars, I'm interested in collecting good representations of the characters in minifigure form, not in collecting the minifigures as they appeared in sets. So several of them are rearrangements of the "official" versions.
    SumoLegoTheBigLegoskixwingpilotkiki180703bobabricks
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,505
    ^ How are you going to fit a Rebel helmet on the Comic Book Guy's molded head to make an accurate Jek Porkins?

(Keep me posted!)

Random thought - A Goblin King body would also probably required for a truly accurate figure.  Not sure how you'll get the uniform to fit.
  • SparkyHamSparkyHam Bristol, UKMember Posts: 126
    Really interesting ahead - I've recently begun taking parts from multiple different versions of the same character, to make the most accurate representations I can too. I'm doing it with Batman's Rogues Gallery, i.e. taking the 5 versions of Harley Quinn and making one to display, same for Joker, Mr. Freeze, Penguin, Riddler, etc
  • Mouse droid. 
    edited October 2016
    Since breaking my rule about only collecting OT sets I now own the latest OT TIE Pilot and the Rebels version (sw543 and sw621)
    I'm surprised at how much I like the new printing. As an OT collector I really didn't think I'd like the stylised helmet. Having said that, it's inspired by Ralph McQuarrie's original concept art, so I guess it's not surprising it looks good.
    So now I've gone and bought the Stormtrooper Sergeant (sw630). I'm a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to Stormtroopers (up until now only having Canon variants of the latest OT design in my collection), but I've set a precedent for including Rebels sets and minifigures now. It was also a good excuse to see if I could pick up a new exclusive minifigure for less than the lowest price on Bricklink (which I succeeded in doing) :)
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,431
    edited October 2016
    ^ Less of a slippery slope and more of a vertical drop eh @xwingpilot? You'll be pining after retired Ep. 1 sets eventually, mark my words... ;-)
    SumoLegoTheBigLegoski
    ^ Never!