Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego repair

Tufted_duckTufted_duck Edinburgh Member Posts: 77
Hopefully somwone here will be able to help with a bit of Lego DIY...

I received a Bricklink order today and unfortunately in the international trip (presumably) one of the baseplates has had a corner snapped off. Only a small section, and seems like a fairly clean break.

Had thought polystyrene cement or superglues but not sure what might be best or damage it further. Wondered if anyone had any experience? 

I know I could find another to buy but I prefer to make do and mend rather than throw away

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    Either superglue or the polystyrene cement is fine, but it will always be a little weaker in that corner. Make sure you hide the break when building and it will be fine.

An alternative is to just leave it as it is especially if it will be hidden by a build. What you don't want is a build up of excess glue on top of the break that stops bricks sticking to the baseplate.

madforLEGO
  • Tufted_duckTufted_duck Edinburgh Member Posts: 77
    Thanks. If poly cement doesnt trash abs I'll give that a go. 

Cheers for reminder on excess. 
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited May 2016
    Gluing two pieces of Base plate together edge on is going to be a nightmare. Glue on top or below will mean it isn't flat or bricks don't go on properly. But only that tiny line of glue will mean it comes apart at the drop of a hat. Also poly cement melts the plastic ever so slightly but maybe enough to change the stud spacing if you aren't careful - just putting a brick on might break it when you're done anyway. 
    If it is really that clean a break just put bricks on top that hold it together. Sorted. 
    Jackad7Furrysaurus