Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Looking for some help building Sloping 45° Corners

LttlcheezeLttlcheeze Baltimore, MDMember Posts: 9
edited April 2016 in Building and Techniques
I am trying to build a model with some Sloping 45° Corners, Standard and Inverted.

http://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/8mkjAgDpaZG

The 4x Different Shaded Green Sloped Corners are not in Lego's Arsenal.

The Corner Assembly on the Left is what I am trying to achieve. (it is lots of illegal parts crammed together to make the correct shape)

The one in the Middle is the best I could come up with to mimic it.

And the one on the Right was just playing around with plates to see what I could come up with.

Comments

• bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,899
    edited April 2016
    Could you use part 3675 (3x3 double convex) and part 3298 (3x2 slope)to get a similar effect, just not 45 degrees.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,432
    set #10223 might have what you are looking for. part #3045 and #15571
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Is 43708 any good for you? SNOT techniques would give you an inverted version.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    You could snot with this thing:

• LttlcheezeLttlcheeze Baltimore, MDMember Posts: 9
    bandit778 said:
    Could you use part 3675 (3x3 double convex) and part 3298 (3x2 slope)to get a similar effect, just not 45 degrees.

I'm really trying to keep the 45 degrees
    set #10223 might have what you are looking for. part #3045 and #15571
    3045 Doesn't give me the 45
    And I played around with using SNOT and 15571, but since it's not 45, it didn't work well.
    TigerMoth said:
    Is 43708 any good for you? SNOT techniques would give you an inverted version.
    That would be perfect, except i'm doing 3x3 on the top layer, instead of 4x4.

And inverted.... I'll try it out atleast on the upper most inverted layer, it may help.
    MattsWhat said:

I think it is too tall for what I am looking for, the inverted area is only 2 bricks tall.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,899
    The 3x3 slope is a 25 degree sloped brick (part 4161). 
    MattsWhat said:

I think it is too tall for what I am looking for, the inverted area is only 2 bricks tall.
    I meant the other way. On its side with the slope studs outwards with cheese of some sort attached. It's probably too big but anyway. 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,416
    Does it have to be smooth, or can you use plates to create steps (either bare studs or tiled)? Like lego did in the BTTF DeLorean bonnet.
  • CLCCLC FloridaMember Posts: 4
    Acronym-deprived newcomer here...
    What in the world are "SNOT techniques"?
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    SNOT = Studs Not On Top. any form of building where the direction of the studs don't point upward.
    madforLEGOMattsWhat
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,416
    Or if you don't mind using plates, use for example 4xX plates for the sloping sides, with a triangular plate as the corner, also angled.
  • CLCCLC FloridaMember Posts: 4
    "SNOT = Studs Not On Top...."  Aha, thank you GallardoLU.  :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,220
    Use hinge plates to get to 45 degrees and then tile or plates to connect them?
    edited April 2016
    CCC said:
    Or if you don't mind using plates, use for example 4xX plates for the sloping sides, with a triangular plate as the corner, also angled.

Are triangular plates even a thing?
    Edit: I read tiles for some reason, ignore me. 
    Fauch said:
    I tried it out, but it's too large for what I am trying to achieve, but thanks.
    CCC said:
    Does it have to be smooth, or can you use plates to create steps (either bare studs or tiled)? Like lego did in the BTTF DeLorean bonnet.
    I would prefer Stud-Less, but I am trying other options, like Angled Plates (wings).
    Oops.... After playing around with this I realized, I was a little off in the original shape I was trying to achieve. The top needs to finish with the 2x2 Corner that is now at the top of each version.

It's alot easier to show it in 3-D rather than take screen shots of all of them at different angles: http://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/8mkjAgDpaZG

1) The first (Far Left) is still what I'm trying to achieve (see note  :-) )
    2) 1x2 Slopes: I'm still leaning toward this one, it doesn't look terrible, and it's pretty easy to build.
    3) The 1x3 Tile at the Bottom looks good, but there is too much Structure showing (Purple) behind the Tiles for me to like the Top.
    4) I was able to get the Tiles Closer together, but "Hanging" these panels will be a PITA!!
    5) Filling the Corners with Arcs doesn't look too bad either, and it is definitely the easiest to assemble.
    6) I tried using 95188, unfortunately it is just too big for what I'm trying to get.
    7) The 2x3 Plates don't look bad either but, I'm not crazy about having the exposed studs. And covering them with Tiles makes them too tall for my liking.
    8) See #7...

What are your thoughts????

• The_Mad_VulcanThe_Mad_Vulcan SeattleMember Posts: 162
    I think option 6 looks the best, barring that the parts from 1 don't start existing.
    Well incase any of you were wondering. I ended up going with option 2, my original version. But obliviously if you wanted to build it yourself you could do it anyway you choose.

Here is the final product:
    http://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/r0DvYpgMj9e

With nearly 10k pieces, Mecabricks (being a web browser based building program) it's a little crash happy. :-)
    ricecake
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,828
    CCC said:
    triangular plate
    Do you mean 2450, Wedge, Plate 3 x 3 Cut Corner?
    (6106 is 6x6, 30504 is 8x8, 3935/3936 is a similar 4x4)