Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

10254 Winter Train

Comments

• VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,442
    ^ The Train should be available this year and next year, following the standard Winter Village rules.
    Get the Kwik E Mart first. 
    SithLord196kiki180703
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,140
    Venunder said:
    ^ The Train should be available this year and next year, following the standard Winter Village rules.
    Get the Kwik E Mart first. 
    Basically the plan. I fully expect the train to be around next year yet. 
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    edited September 2016
    Finally saw this at the Chicago store yesterday. Initial thought, 'Boy this thing looks small'. Feels like this is a trend, like what has been happening with the Modular category, smaller 'main event', more detail.

Maybe surveys suggest this is what people want. I am not one of them.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,317
    Anyone have a parts list yet? Bricklink is lagging ;)
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,858
    edited September 2016
    oh Wow!
    yodel is telling me that my winter train shipped from lego on the 15th is set to show up on the 17th.
    never have i know it to be that fast!
    more so when it left the lego warehouse after 6pm. i had items that left the lego warehouse at 11am and take 4 days to get to me.
    normally i have to wait 2 days for it to get into the UK.
    so dead on 24 hours to enter the uk is a new record.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,442
    My Train has shipped, but I have no delivery date.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    sid3windr said:
    Anyone have a parts list yet? Bricklink is lagging ;)
    First available yesterday and you already think Bricklink is lagging?  Give it 3-4 weeks and when they still don't have it then you're just up where it is business as usual for Bricklink.
    MegtheCatPitfall69gmonkey76kiki180703MattDawsongoshe7
    waiting on Yodel to deliver my winter train, and my high speed train.
    look's like i may be the 1st brickset member who did not go to a lego store to get there copy of the winter train.
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    Mine was dispatched on 15th September and I'm expecting it to delivered to work on Monday... It'll then go in the cupboard until closer to Christmas.
    chrisalddinMooreFX
  • weeksukweeksuk Hastings - UKMember Posts: 13
    Mines arrived - got the free dragon as well as an unexpected Spider-Man 30305 in the box
    Mine was dispatched on 15th September and I'm expecting it to delivered to work on Monday... It'll then go in the cupboard until closer to Christmas.
    cool.
    oh and congratulations on ordering #60052 would have got that my self but my funding did not quite stretch that far. 
    i still hope to pick up a 2nd #60051 at some point. and Moc up a Bigger high speed train.
    JudgeChuckkiki180703
    Thanks @chrisalddin #60052 and #10254 will be my first LEGO trains... Looking forward to it! :-)

Thanks @chrisalddin #60052 and #10254 will be my first LEGO trains... Looking forward to it! :-)

this is my 1st Lego Train set's aswell.
    and i would just like to add that both set's just turned up :) and the box for #10254 look's Quite good. :)
    JudgeChuck
  • worldofpenguinsworldofpenguins USAMember Posts: 13
    it's aaa battery's right? for PF train units?  
    That is correct.
  • worldofpenguinsworldofpenguins USAMember Posts: 13
    I guess that reply was a bit late. Sorry.
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 477
    waiting on Yodel to deliver my winter train, and my high speed train.
    look's like i may be the 1st brickset member who did not go to a lego store to get there copy of the winter train.
    I received my Winter Holiday Train today - ordered from the website two days ago - impressive. Also a new IR remote, the free dragon and Spiderman. Do I build it now, or wait until winter?

• KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 960

Mine also arrived two days after order with the #30422 and #30305 which is the best free thing as it was unexpected! This is where Lego get the great rep from.

• mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    Yodel attempted to deliver mine today too but we've been out all day. Not a problem it's not like I need it quickly! 

• sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,317
    graphite said:
    First available yesterday and you already think Bricklink is lagging? 
    Yeah, that's why I put a winky smiley behind it. ;) Bit curious, but I'll be getting it soon myself (waiting for the London Bus freebie) and then that's settled too, heh.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,189
    I'll wait on the winter train, part of it has to with my budget restrictions, but I would also much rather wait for the holiday promos this season (with the advent calendar and ornament promos due in the fall/before Christmas) as it is a bigger bang for the buck for me, even if-IMO-the promos are somewhat underwhelming this season (at least so far)
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,774
    Put an order in earlier - £10 promo code and £15 VIP that I forgot I had makes it £45. Hopefully I get the Spiderman freebie tossed in for good measure.
    Put an order in earlier - £10 promo code and £15 VIP that I forgot I had makes it £45. Hopefully I get the Spiderman freebie tossed in for good measure.
    i find that if you hope to get a bonus freebie from a [email protected] order, the odd of you getting one drop, if you don't thing about it, when you do get one is a nice bonus.  
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    I'm gonna wait until the bus comes out. Will deffo get the train 
    i find funny that the box for #60051 is a little tiny bit bigger then #10243.
    Yeah, never have really understood LEGO's motivation for some of their boxing sizes
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,499
    just a fast image of all the Lego set's i got over the past 3 days.

Every city needs a rolling thunderbox.
    Pitfall69
    Yeah, never have really understood LEGO's motivation for some of their boxing sizes
    It's based on the number of sets that fit on a palette, and then the relative weight of a casepack (the number of sets per shipping box).  Those set box sizes are based on the set weight, an amount of air in the box, and oversized piece sizes (normally baseplates and instructions).

There is a method based on a number of shipping factors, and completely arbitrary Lego packaging standards.
    MegtheCatsnowhitiestlux
    edited September 2016
    If anyone in the US is looking for a starter train set to either pilfer the PF or get extra track, the #60052 Cargo train is now at Amazon's US site for $123.99

davetheoxygenmanSithLord196
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,552
    I'll wait on the winter train, part of it has to with my budget restrictions, but I would also much rather wait for the holiday promos this season (with the advent calendar and ornament promos due in the fall/before Christmas) as it is a bigger bang for the buck for me, even if-IMO-the promos are somewhat underwhelming this season (at least so far)
    Underwhelming for sure. And that elf workshop winter set that popped up on the main page yesterday? Hideous. I cannot remember a year I was less interested in the holiday promos.
    gmonkey76
    edited September 2016
    Bumblepants said:
    I cannot remember a year I was less interested in the holiday promos.
    Bah, humbug!

(Although I totally agree - the creative brain-drain is very evident on the WV side.  Even the promotional videos are lackluster.  We are going into a third year of uninspired sets...)
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 319
    Don't forget possible promo #40223-1: Christmas Ornament.  Looks like a great/unique set.

BumblepantsLuLegokiki180703Pitfall69Rainstorm26
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    I like this enough and will eventually place an order when the promos are a little more favorable. I may eventually MOD Santa's Workshop into a ticket booth / station. That's what the workshop looks more like to me anyways - a place where you could take kids to get pics with Santa and buy tickets to ride the holiday train, rather than a "real" place where Santa lives and works. 
    MooreFXgmonkey76snowhitie
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 863
    CircleK said:
    I like this enough and will eventually place an order when the promos are a little more favorable. I may eventually MOD Santa's Workshop into a ticket booth / station. That's what the workshop looks more like to me anyways - a place where you could take kids to get pics with Santa and buy tickets to ride the holiday train, rather than a "real" place where Santa lives and works. 
    Sir - how very dare you insult the greatest set ever!
    Ticket booth? This is the "real" place where Santa lives and works. It is. It really is. it says so on the sign (assuming the sticker hasn't peeled).
    Bumblepantskiki180703snowhitiestlux
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    The sign at the local mall where Santa sits for pictures says "North Pole" as well (assuming someone's brat hasn't carried it off or scribbled on it with crayon). 
    MegtheCat
  • Brinstar85Brinstar85 Member Posts: 42
    I'll definitely pick up a copy in time for Christmas. It is perhaps not the most impressive train set ever but as a winter village set I think it complements the theme nicely. It is certainly an improvement over the very disappoint re-release of the toy shop last year. I do wish that the locomotive and the carriage were bigger but clearly Lego wanted to keep the cost down. The ability to add power functions is welcome as well.
    MooreFXkiki180703
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 494
    Here is a video review and the running version of the Winter via Jangbricks:
    chrisalddinMooreFXkiki180703vizzitor
    edited September 2016
    Jangbricks did a good video. A++.
    also i am trying to hold off on building winter train.
    at lest until closer to Christmas. (i am finding this hard.)
  • als-1971als-1971 uk derbyshireMember Posts: 69
    I thought id do same. But then it arrived saturday morning and just had to be built.
    als-1971 said:
    I thought id do same. But then it arrived saturday morning and just had to be built.
    Ha i win i have the Stronger will.
    (just ignore that built #60051 sitting off to the side in my room. that i got the same day as winter train, it has no relevance to this subject, it in no way at all acted as a substitute to my itching fingers that needed to build something.)    
    mustang69MooreFXkiki180703
  • emmtwosixemmtwosix Member Posts: 78
    Do we know when the Holiday promo set(s) will be available?  I think I'd like to wait until one of those is being offered before I place my order.
  • solid_stridersolid_strider TexasMember Posts: 203
    I'm on the fence for this set.  I'd want to motorize it if I got it, but the receiver and battery box stick out like a sore thumb in the recommended build per Jang's video and it really kills it for me.
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 345
    emmtwosix said:
    Do we know when the Holiday promo set(s) will be available?  I think I'd like to wait until one of those is being offered before I place my order.
    Usually the first is available beginning October 1st and the second is available Black Friday weekend (Nov 24th - 27th).
    SumoLegoemmtwosix
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 863
    Fantastic review (as always) by Jangbricks.
    my wife finds it sad (and slightly worrying) that I find his voice relaxing and tend to watch a review before going to sleep.
    OrmskirkBrickscatwranglersnowhitiestlux
    ^Jang is the LEGO Whisperer... ;-)

Back on subject, I haven't yet had time to view Jangbricks' review yet, but I've just opened the set to have a quick look, before putting it away for Christmas ans, as @solid_strider says, the PF integration is horrible! It's probably understandable, given the size of the locomotive, but I'm not sure I'll bother powering it after all. Yuck! :-(
    OrmskirkBricks
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 879
    If you guys intend to motorize it, surely can just take the opportunity to add a few extra pieces to cover up whichever areas you deemed ugly? 

On the other hand, trying to beef up the model to be like the previous Winter train would require lots of effort given it is less than half the length of the old train. 
  • solid_stridersolid_strider TexasMember Posts: 203
    It doesn't bother me as much as the exposed receiver and battery box, but I also don't like the visible wire.  It's not so obvious on the back of the set's box, but Jang's video really highlights how much it all looks out of place.  I don't think it would be too difficult to get the motor, battery box and receiver all into the tender if three or four studs were added to the base, but as mentioned above, you'd have to beef up the other cars (the locomotive at the very least) to keep everything proportionate.
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 216
    Is it just me or does the female minifig in this set with the Penguin's torso with the tie look a lot like Margaret Thatcher? Obviously with a more smiling face than the real version ever seemed to have.
    William_Townsleykiki180703
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 265
    I think the train is great! But once you add the motor functions, well, it needs some work!