Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

10254 Winter Train

Comments

• TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Something's getting lost.

It's a standard circle of track - 88 studs in diameter. 88 studs is roughly 70 cm.
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,031
    LuLego said:
    That's not much track to get around a Christmas tree!
    Buy a smaller tree ;-)
    legomentalWilliam_Townsleykiki180703Mynatt
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    I meant 88 studs/70cm as in diameter to the outside to the track.
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 866
    70cm diameter! That clears things up and answers my original question. Thanks.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,554
    iso3200 said:
    LuLego said:
    That's not much track to get around a Christmas tree!
    Buy a smaller tree ;-)
    Even better, put the track over the top of the tree and let it rest on the branches however far down it will get. Then let it run around at eye level and leave plenty of room for Lego packages underneath the tree. Win-win.
    MattsWhatkiki180703
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,858
    i just like to be the 1st member to say
    i have placed a order for #10254 Winter Holiday Train. with the GB10 code so only payed £59.99
    now there is a painful wait for it to ship.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • mjkyorkshiremjkyorkshire Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone help me with exactly which power functions items I'd need to get this moving, is it as simple a train kit and a battery box?
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 392
    edited September 2016
    @mjkyorkshire This might help (view in List View for more detail):

http://brickset.com/sets/list-10993
    mjkyorkshirechrisalddinkiki180703
  • mjkyorkshiremjkyorkshire Member Posts: 8
    PeteM said:
    Perfect, thank you!!!
    well i have placed a order for #60051 so i will have more train parts.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,324
    That woman sitting on the bench. Has she stolen the Penguin's coat from #76010? So much for licensed torsos ...

Also that lamppost is pretty ugly. Nowhere near as nice as the molded ones they used in the other winter sets. It seems a shame when they lack continuity with details like that.
    PeteM said:

as i only payed 64.47 for #60051 i am only paying £18. for all the lego parts in #60051
    and if we added in the track. the brick for the train (not counting the power setup) is  free :)
    WatfordScottyMkiki180703
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    I just placed an order for #10254 Winter Holiday Train as well, added the £10 off code and used another £5 of VIP points, so paid £54.99 delivered... :-)

I still don't like American wood-burners, so I'll probably try to MOC it into something more British-looking... ;-)
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 478
    PeteM said:

I suspect a complete rebuild of the engine and tender will be required, rather than simply dropping in the PF pieces.
    it's aaa battery's right? for PF train units?  
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,354
    Ordered train along with Dr strange and last civil war set, used all my VIP's and discount :) nice
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 384
    I tried to order the train using PayPal.  The entire [email protected] site crapped out.  It really is an awful site they've developed.

Credit card worked thankfully, so have one on the way!
    chrisalddinkiki180703
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,379
    edited September 2016
    CCC said:
    That woman sitting on the bench. Has she stolen the Penguin's coat from #76010? So much for licensed torsos ...

Also that lamppost is pretty ugly. Nowhere near as nice as the molded ones they used in the other winter sets. It seems a shame when they lack continuity with details like that.
    They've not always used molded lampposts in the winter village sets. The continuity is that the lampposts are always different ;)
    SumoLegoTheMaker37kiki180703
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 628
    Whont let me place order keep getting an error 
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 392
    PeteM said:

I suspect a complete rebuild of the engine and tender will be required, rather than simply dropping in the PF pieces.
    I think it's 'PF Ready' so the instructions will include steps on how to install the components - I think some of the official pictures show it with them in.
    CCC said:

It's a railway, right? Think yourself lucky there's a lamp at all, a bench, or even a platform. It could've just been a slightly raised hump in the ground. It's a quaintly British thing to always expect to be able to get on a train without climbing gear.
    ^It's called "civilisation"... Like not having to sh*t in a hole in the ground... ;-)
    legomental
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,243
    Just seen one in the Copenhagen Lego store. Better in the flesh than I was expecting but having no trains or winter village so far I'm not planning on a purchase. 
    edited September 2016
    Just seen one in the Copenhagen Lego store. Better in the flesh than I was expecting but having no trains or winter village so far I'm not planning on a purchase. 
    There are plenty of civilised countries where that sort of situation exists - including most of Europe and the US.
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,243
    ^i think you quoted the wrong person there!
  • BombTecBombTec In the MountainsMember Posts: 107
    Just picked it up in Munich before I fly out tomorrow.  I just couldn't wait to have it. :oD  Now, what clothes to toss to make room for it? 
    ^i think you quoted the wrong person there!
    Aye. Curiously, in trying to quote you now, it included the text of the following post.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,573
    TigerMoth said:
    There are plenty of civilised countries where that sort of situation exists - including most of Europe and the US.
    I think you need a new travel agent!
    Pitfall69
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 215
    ordered online, can't wait to show the little guy it during Xmas
    SMC said:

I think you need a new travel agent!
    Nope. It IS a British thing that means you have to have proper platforms, and if you want the train to stop at night, lights. It's different in major cities but, elsewhere, you can never tell what you'll find. Disabled access? Pah! Take your own crane.
    ^All this just proves my point... We British are civilised... We have lit train platforms with disabled access... However, out of hours, you may need to sh*t in a hole in the ground, as they usually lock the toilets up past 7pm, so that some neanderthal doesn't vandalise them...

(All very tongue-in-cheek, I hasten to add! ;-) )
    legomental
    As an aside, can we not have a British spell-checker option on this site, rather than having to put up with it wanting to change all my esses to zeds (zees)...

;-)

However, out of hours, you may need to sh*t in a hole in the ground, as they usually lock the toilets up past 7pm, so that some neanderthal doesn't vandalise them...
    What toilets? We're good at that, too. Not having them, that is.
    As an aside, can we not have a British spell-checker option on this site, rather than having to put up with it wanting to change all my esses to zeds (zees)...
    Er - there isn't a spell-checker; it's a function of your browser.
    TigerMoth said:

However, out of hours, you may need to sh*t in a hole in the ground, as they usually lock the toilets up past 7pm, so that some neanderthal doesn't vandalise them...
    What toilets? We're good at that, too. Not having them, that is.
    Er - there isn't a spell-checker; it's a function of your browser.
    True... Public Conveniences have been sold off by the truck-load by local Councils, to make way for another coffee shop or estate agent...

Doh! Silly me... Blasted corporate version of Chrome only has English (US) language set and it can't be changed... As you were... :-)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,190
    edited September 2016
    Id imagine that is what folks are doing in the US right now with #60052 as Amazon has it for 135 USD right now. #60051 for about 104 USD as well, which is not a bad price either.

For 135 USD, I think that #60052 is a great 'starter' set right now for the US buyers and provides extra track (though when it popped up for roughly 100 USD about 6-8 months ago that was an epic buy).
    thedingman5
    Id imagine that is what folks are doing in the US right now with #60052 as Amazon has it for 135 USD right now. #60051 for about 104 USD as well, which is not a bad price either.

For 135 USD, I think that #60052 is a great 'starter' set right now for the US buyers and provides extra track (though when it popped up for roughly 100 USD about 6-8 months ago that was an epic buy).
    could have got #60052 for £84.00 + shipping (about £3-£5) but don't have the cash.
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    Doh! Silly me... Blasted corporate version of Chrome only has English (US) language set and it can't be changed... As you were... :-)
    You can. Go to settings, then click on "show advanced settings" and language and input is in that list. :P
  • mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    Train ordered using £10 off code this morning.   Just received the shipping confirmation, that's got to be some sort of record for [email protected]!
    mmozzano said:
    Train ordered using £10 off code this morning.   Just received the shipping confirmation, that's got to be some sort of record for [email protected]!
    same here. order placed at about 8am here. and i just looked at my e-mails it shipped out 1 hour ago.  (6.30pm.)
    same day shipping. they can not be to busy with orders right now. that or we beat the rush.
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 478
    mmozzano said:
    Ordered this morning, and now have a dispatch notification this evening. I'm not quite sure what I'll get, since I ordered 3 sets in 3 orders, have 2 emails saying I'm over the limit, and 4 dispatch notifications. Possibly 3 free dragons.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,446
    I bought a Heavy Haul Train specifically for the PF and the extra track needed for the Winter Village train.
    But also for the Red train, Crane and Coal truck. The Back Hoe is okay but the Helicopter is too juniorised.
    It was a fairly good deal at £109.

I did think about getting the Passenger train at £59.99 from Smyths, when they did their deals. But there was not enough straight track included with the passenger train.

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,309
    Buying the High Speed Passenger wouldn't help me out any; I would be stuck with even more curved track (you only get 4 straights). I usually buy the rechargeable battery and I have plenty of remote controls. To fit around my tree; I need a lot of straight track. I looked at the parts list and I do not see anything that I do not already have that I can use. Am I missing something?
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 628
    Anyone try a 9v motor yet
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 879
    Pitfall69 said:
    Buying the High Speed Passenger wouldn't help me out any; I would be stuck with even more curved track (you only get 4 straights). I usually buy the rechargeable battery and I have plenty of remote controls. To fit around my tree; I need a lot of straight track. I looked at the parts list and I do not see anything that I do not already have that I can use. Am I missing something?
    Someone mentioned you can place the curve tracks in left, right, left, right fashion and it should kinda mimick a straight track, Plus it makes the train movement looks nicer than a non-eventful straight line.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,309
    Yeah, you could, but most people don't do that. It isn't a train slalom...lol. 
    gmonkey76davetheoxygenmanJooTogBumblepantskiki180703dougtsmadforLEGOpharmjod
  • Johnyk668Johnyk668 Melbourne, Australia Member Posts: 73
    Maybe set up some traffic cones so the reason for the slalom has meaning. 
    Pitfall69pharmjodworldofpenguinsstlux
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,056
    Pitfall69 said:
    Yeah, you could, but most people don't do that. It isn't a train slalom...lol. 
    Wait, trains aren't meant to shake and wobble as they go along? Are you saying that British train tracks are just massively crap and that isn't part of the experience? ;-)
    chrisalddinkiki180703Pitfall69catwranglerTheOriginalSimonBstlux
    You can. Go to settings, then click on "show advanced settings" and language and input is in that list. :P
    No, it's locked down by desktop policy... It's not a biggie...

:P
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,140
    I think I'm going to have to see this set in the flesh before I decide to purchase it or not, if I even can. Cash flow is pretty tight right now, and the next big set on my radar is the Kwik-E-Mart before it randomly goes EOL.