Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10254 Winter Train

Comments

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,877
    I was never a big fan of the previous holiday train, but I can honestly say it looks better than this one.
    tamamahmprevere
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,838
    I think it will prove popular, just not among hardcore afols or train enthusiasts. Seems targeted more at kids and families which is fine. I will pass though.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    But it's clearly labeled "Expert," which, like all Lego labels, definitively means something.  I mean, there's no ambiguity, right?  Only experts could put this thing together and only experts can appreciate it.  Stay away kids, this is for experts!
    SumoLegoMAGNINOMINISUMBRAkiki180703LostInTranslationcatwranglergmonkey76stluxmustang69
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    I'm not a train enthusiast so I think the set looks quite good.  TLG was never going to please everyone on this one.  Having said that I think I would have much preferred a Creator Expert Train set. 
    FollowsClosely
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    That extra gearing on the toy and tree car, that's what validates the Expert designation on the box.
  • mampepinmampepin CanadaMember Posts: 63
    It does look a bit small, makes me hope that at least one of the Holiday bonuses is an additional car...
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    edited August 2016
    Looks nice enough. It will probably end up being the first "original" WV release I have liked since the Post Office
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 989
    SumoLego said:
    Definitely a Winter Village set that happens to be a train.  

This is not a Creator Expert Train that happens to be a Winter Village set.
    And this is where the problem lies! It IS a Creator Expert Train (based on both packaging and chronological release position) however it IS also a WV set... I expect it disappoint a LOT more train fans than WV fans.  Mind you, LEGO are well aware that train fans are a strange (yet highly loyal) bunch who are used to being disappointed!  
    stluxJenni
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    For motorisation, it looks like the firebox can be converted to house the PF receiver, the tender to hold the battery box and the front loco bogie swapped for a PF model. 

I originally wanted it, but now I'm not so sure. It looks too diminutive for my likes, and the fact there's only 2 wagons - about the same size as the loco - puts me off. The previous winter train, despite the basic 9V blockiness, had more presence to it. 
    legomental
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,949
    edited August 2016
    I think the WV sets have the same 'Expert' packaging.

(I happen to have a bunch of trains - I'm not at all disappointed with any of them.)
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,290
    It's a Winter Village set. All of them are under the Expert name. How is that hard to understand..?
    Paperballparkgmonkey76stluxkiki180703
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    I don't think its hard to understand I think some people are having an issue with TLG labelling as usual.  
    stlux
    so if it IS this years WV set - where is the 2016 Creator Expert train? 
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    It's nice but I wouldn't pick it as my first Lego train...
    So you buy another train so then this can be your second ;-) 
    catwranglerstluxMynattkiki180703chuckp
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,097
    Now there's a thing. To me that screams America while the WV theme to me is European. 
    For me, @TheOriginalSimonB hit the nail on the head a while ago...

@drdavewatford #10173 probably wouldn't appeal to a hard core train fan but, for me, it looks more like how a steam locomotive should be...

This is purely going to be a cultural thing and I expect it to be very popular across the pond...

• dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    day one for me
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,793
    It's nice but I wouldn't pick it as my first Lego train...
    So you buy another train so then this can be your second ;-) 
    Oh, don't tempt me, not with the cargo train being the price it is at the moment - I was looking at that longingly the other day! :D
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,296
    doesn't look that impressive. also is it the first WV sets which is over 10c per piece? those train tracks cost 2$ each?
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    It will be a day one purchase for me. I have to admit I like the affect of the steam coming from the train 
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    I like it in general. It doesn't satisfy hard core train guy in me but looks good as a Winter Village train. I think it will be best if I do the same as the #10173 and power it with either 9V or 12V under the tender and skip the massive redesign that PF would require. Besides, I do like the red train wheels under the engine and it would be a shame to remove those for a motor. 
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 280
    Cute little train; not particularly realistic, which is perfectly fine.
    While a more substantial train would be nice, I don't think that would have been realistic to expect.  Not in the least.
    I'm sure it's the train around the tree that is moving, not the tree turning. It makes almost too much sense.
    Fisher Price probably based red wheels on real trains.
    What defines an 'Expert' set seems a bit ambiguous as some seem to be no more complex than the more complex City sets.  There is no reason kids can't be 'experts', LEGO is a kids' toy after all.
    Who ever said there was going to be a 2016 Creator Expert train?
    There are certain things that exist in the real world that don't exist in my LEGO world.... America, Europe, fingers, knees, restaurants that serve foods other than pizza...

stlux
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,356
    Did they just yank all the photos offline? I cannot find any pics of the train now :-(
    (yeah yeah I know leaked photos are bad, etc etc, but when a majority of fans have already seen it then the cat is out of the bag.)
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    pssst There is a special website that has loads of different sub pages. That might give you a clue 
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,455
    ^ yeah, a lot of people will have read it there.
    William_TownsleyFollowsCloselyBumblepants
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,455
    Seems it was taken down from Eurobricks earlier. The entire thread, not just the photo.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,375
    dragon114 said:
    day one for me
    Wait...are you sure you aren't going to wait until they are 50% to pull the trigger on one ;)
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,031
    edited August 2016
    @madforLEGO You can find a picture on minifigpriceguide.com.
    madforLEGO
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    As with all the winter sets, buying it as soon as I can! That way I can MOC up a couple more cars for it, and a place to stuff the power functions. It shall spend my favourite month zipping around the loving room and under the tree.
    stlux
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,356
    @madforLEGO You can find a picture on minifigpriceguide.com.
    Thanks. It looks Ok to me. The price is a bit annoying but I'm guessing they are throwing track into it to try to justify the 99.99 USD price point, otherwise this probably should be more around 60 USD, especially since it is likely not getting discounted in the US due to it being an 'exclusive'. I think this is really the best we can expect from LEGO. I'm not going to get all worked up over it as there are bigger things to worry about for me at this point. Just glad it is not a rehash of the bakery.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    It shall spend my favourite month zipping around the loving room and under the tree.
    TMI!
    LittleLoriBumblepantskiki180703catwrangler
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    ... err, I just love Lego. Yes... Lego...
    LittleLorikiki180703stlux
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Looks great to me. The circular track will create a nice border, with all of the other themed sets fitting within it or just outside of it. $99 seems fine to me. Anything less and it would barely be a train. Anything more, and it would be too much. LEGO has so many expensive sets now, I like that it is not over $100. 

For train enthusiasts, this becomes a nice challenge to see how power functions can be added -- mods to make it look "better" to each of your tastes. 
    tallblocktookiki180703stlux
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 404
    edited August 2016
    I admit I'm a little disappointed that it doesnt have a passenger car or another large car like that but I still plan on getting it. I especially like the red wheels on the engine.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    The problem is that the train buffs seem to have expected a fully-realistic mega-train with carriages, the works, which was never going to happen, given the typical price-point of the WV line, and the audience it appeals to.
    TLG can't please everyone all the time. But that's the nice thing about Lego...the train buffs can always build their own Christmas train set.
    SumoLegokiki180703stlux
    ^ How dare you!  Lego must keep 100% of us happy ALL of the time!

We just need to find the clown that was yearning for a compilation Hoth set.  And stuff him in a tauntaun.

I'm waiting for my UCS Serenity.  Thank you.
    bandit778stluxTheOriginalSimonBBumblepantscatwranglermadforLEGOmonstblitzFarmer_John
    devilhead said:
    SNIP 
    Who ever said there was going to be a 2016 Creator Expert train?
    SNIP

No one - it has been assumed (based on release frequency and availability of the EN, Mearsk and HE) that LEGO would be releasing a flagship train this year. There is also a school of thought that this wouldn't occur if the long standing rumours regarding this years Wimter Holiday Train were true...Fingers crossed for a nice Creator Expert Steamer in 17.
    MattDawsonstluxSumoLegoTheLoneTensorcatwranglerkiki180703KingDave
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,266
    So how much longer do we have to pretend the pictures don't exist?
    Until the set is formally announced.
    Dedgecko
  • Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 142
    I guess the lack of next Creator Expert Train convinced us to expect more... hopefully the leaked photo does not make this set justice.
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 403
    So how much longer do we have to pretend the pictures don't exist?
    Until the set is formally announced.
    Which should be in the next few days according to the 'takedown' notice on Eurobricks Train Tech.

As a train fan this was pretty much what I expected and I'm fine with it as it is - the fact there isn't a continuation of the Creator Expert train line is a separate issue as this was never going to fill that gap.

As I'm not that fussed about Winter Village I was in two minds about getting one (though I know I probably would!) but as soon as my thoroughly non-AFOL wife saw it she has said that we 'need' it to go around the tree this year - something that she wouldn't let me do with the Emerald Night in years gone by! It helps that our train-obsessed two year old will love it, especially if I can get power functions in it...
    catwranglerBumblepantstallblocktoomadforLEGOgmonkey76stluxkiki180703
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,838
    Such a shame the cussoo Serenity got shot down. One of these days I will have the money to buy the @MinifigsMe firefly crew
    LostInTranslationstluxkiki180703
  • BigOnBricksBigOnBricks Member Posts: 22
    Just found the picture through a Goole search.  I love it!  Day 1 purchase for me.
  • jaitheartistjaitheartist Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2016
    An image has surfaced, just saw on the allaboutthebrick Facebook page. 

*Link deleted - please don't post links to confidential images*
  • RakulRakul USAMember Posts: 176
    While I don't think this is as nice as I would have wanted it is still something I think we will get here.  My 6 year old daughter loved the picture and I have enough stuff here to add power to it hopefully.  Now to finish up a station more in line with the winter village theme,
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 551
    My first thought is that #10173 and #7597 had a baby at Santa's Workshop.
    SirBen said:
    My first thought is that #10173 and #7597 had a baby at Santa's Workshop.
    Is that how train sets are made?  I thought the Danish Stork brought them.  
    TheOriginalSimonBchuckpcatwranglerkiki180703stluxSirBenBricklover18
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    SumoLego said:
    ^ How dare you!  Lego must keep 100% of us happy ALL of the time!

We just need to find the clown that was yearning for a compilation Hoth set.  And stuff him in a tauntaun.

I'm waiting for my UCS Serenity.  Thank you.
    That's seems harsh, I mean I thought those things smelled bad..
    on the outside!
    MattDawsonricecakekiki180703SumoLego