Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Completely Disassembled Minifigs?

AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,419
edited April 2016 in Collecting
Hello all, I hope someone can help me. I have been looking at some minifigs someone has for sale online, not CMFs, just a mix of regular figs including a wizard and a robin hood type character. They are all brand new in little sealed bags but, they are completely disassembled, hips, arms, hands, everything, all 15 of them. Were figures ever offered like this? Are they from a minifig set? Does anyone think they're clones? The look like the real thing. Thanks for any help in advance. AB

Comments

• theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,520
    I think a number of clone figures come completely disassembled like that.
    AllBrickReesesPiecesMattsWhatbobabricks
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 945
    It's true that the Chinese clone brands are often sold completely disassembled.
    Even the legs are in pieces.

picture or link may help.

im not aware of clones of Forest Men theme although you could be describing Green Arrow who has been cloned - a lot.

if you've read any of my recent posts, people may know I got "stung" recently buying a hulk bigfig, which was fake. 

I try to be very aware of Chinese clones, deliberately looking on eBay to see what they are cloning next. This way I'm at least forewarned of the fakes on the market. Buying them from a photo is very difficult to be 100% sure of their authenticity. That's why I was particularly annoyed about my Hulk as I should have known better.

if you do post a photo, I may be able to tell.
    madforLEGO
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,919
    I've never seen real Lego minifigures sold like that, maybe you could ask the seller. I mean she says 'Lego' bit might mean 'lego-like'.
    AllBrickgmonkey76
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    That would be a HUGE red flag for me. Many of the knock-off brands come like that. Decool and Sheng Yuan immediately come to mind. 
    AllBrickmadforLEGOSumoLego
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,419
    edited April 2016
    I sent a message yesterday, awaiting a reply. I've asked directly if they are genuine and where they came from.
    Thats exactly how the fakes are sold. Those type of sealed bags. However, I've never seen fakes of that type of figure. Usually it's the licensed sets they do so it looks like they are branching out!

I wouldn't buy them.

That's a great photo of the Robin Hood guy. You can see the joint on his arm very clearly: the 'ball joint' appears rough and unfinished, which is a difference to legit figs. Also that's where Lego put their trademark stamp and I can't see that there. I had to switch to my iPad and zoom in!
    But the giveaway is the neck!

defo fake.
    Can't believe I spent ages zooming in when the neck of the figure is as clear as day!
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 704
    What do you look for on the neck? Is it supposed to be stamped? I can't discern anything with my laptop browser.
    The neck on Lego has a dark mark!
    when the kids get off the iPad, I'll post a photo comparison.
    So how can you tell the difference?
    if you've got a fake figure in your hand, you can feel the difference. But by then it's probably too late!

in the pics posted earlier, you were lucky because you could see the pieces of the figure, which made spotting traits a little easier.

if you can't hold the figure and there is no way of seeing inside the figure to check it for copyright marks, it becomes a little harder. This makes buying on eBay these days a nightmare.

ive added some side by side photos so others know what to look out for and don't make the mistake I did in accidentally ended up with a fake!
    madforLEGOaldreddgmonkey76snowhitieflordYodaliciouscatwranglerbandit778chuckp
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,742
    Totally fake- just look at the arm peg.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,509
    @LuLego thanks for that descriptive explanation!
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    I've seen the firefighter bootleg figure with the dark tan helmet before in other photos. I'm surprised the seller mentioned Lego, usually those bootleg sellers hide behind words like "building toy" or "compatable".
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,222
    Lack of neck printing is not always a give away. Only if you know for sure that the original should have it. Not all do.
    bobabricks
    CCC said:
    Lack of neck printing is not always a give away. Only if you know for sure that the original should have it. Not all do.
    I didn't know that.
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,521
    edited April 2016
    Minifigures from the LEGO factory in Europe have the mark. The Minifigers from LEGO factory in China don't. It has to do with the machines they use for printing, and when the arms get put on. Not sure if the factory in South America does or not.
    Thecollector123
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    CCC said:
    However, you should never find a printed armless torso unless it does have printing on the neck - which again points to a clone. A torso is either printed after the arms are attached or it has a printed neck so that the arms can be attached the right way round later.
    gmonkey76 said:
    Not sure if the factory in South America does or not.
    What factory in South America?
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,521
    edited April 2016
    ^ Should of been Mexico. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,405
    Anything south of our impending Trump Wall will be considered 'South' America.
    gmonkey76bobabricks
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,419
    Thanks for your help, appreciated. The more you know and all that.