Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Refinishing Lego parts for a Silver Champion #8458.

Hi.

I recently picked up a Silver Champion http://brickset.com/sets/8458-1/Silver-Champion that has seen better days. I'm guessing this model was either kept as a display in a smokey bar or pool-hall, or was on display in a serious smokers home and then locked away in a damp storage area. When I got the model, I wore gloves to break it apart and then disinfected the parts, soaked them and washed the parts thoroughly, 3 times. The grey parts are all mostly discolored and stained, same as the clear engine parts. I was able to get a few new replacement parts from Lego parts, but I want to get some tips and how to's on refinishing or repainting the light colored parts. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    There are several articles out there about using oxi-clean to take off the outermost layer of the parts.
  • waynlewiswaynlewis USAMember Posts: 85
    Thanks for the tips. I've attached a couple pictures of what I'm dealing with, and these are after I cleaned them up a few times. Maybe painting them with a vinyl dye would be a better option.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    I would definitely try oxi, then. I'm not sure if the silver parts are painted or chromed (I don't think they are), but whatever option you take, I do not advise painting under any circumstances.