Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

A question about Lego Star Wars accessories for a non-Lego person (gasp!)

jmastrosjmastros FloridaMember Posts: 3

Hey there, everyone! Thanks in advance for entertaining my question. I do not collect Legos in any shape or form, but I recently hit on an idea involving Star Wars legos that might save me some greif and work. This is where I am hoping to get your input.

I collect Star Wars 1:32 scale (roughly 60mm) figures from various sources, most notably Hasbro's discontinued Star Wars Command series from the now defunct toy line from the show Star Wars Rebels. I am in the process of converting many to expand my collection to include figures I do not already have. I have been tryingt to sculpt and replicate helmets for certain figures, but it is tedious and time consuming. I recently noticed on Amazon that some the Star Wars Lego minifigures have very nicely scultped helmets, and I am wondering (given their imaginative perportions!) whether some of these oversized Lego helmets might work with my 55-60mm figures.

I am most interested in the The Force Awakens First Order Crew Helmet or the Imperial Naval Trooper helmet (If I can even find those!). Links to pics below:

First Order Crewman:  http://images.brickimedia.org/thumb/2/24/75101Crew.jpg/250px-75101Crew.jpg

First Order Flame Trooper:  http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5644/20391705148_ee1d525551.jpg

Imperial Navy Trooper (anyone even know where these can be found reasonably cheaply?):  http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MGzh77pOL._SY300_.jpg

I am hoping to match the helmets with figures from this range and size(as you can see, they are roughly the size of tradtional army man toys): http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=158119&d=1408414623

My figures will ultimately be based and painted for wargaming.

So, does anyone here think this would work? If you have any of these Star Wars lego figures and are familiar with the size of 1:32 figures, would they be the right size?

Many thanks in advance for your input on this very strange question! If I do wind up buying some Lego minis for their helmets, I would gladly share the bodies with whoever helps (yes, that sounds weird, but you get the idea :-) !

Jason

Comments

• Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 553
    I have plenty of plastic army men but I think they are too small for the lego helmets. The helmets are.designed for a figure with a bulkier build than a figure designed to be "to scale" all over of an actual person, rather than a lego figure which can really only be based on height. If you're looking for a place to get just the helmets at a reasonable price and in bulk
    Bricklink.Com for basically anything lego. Other places to check out for custom helmets are clone army customs (Google it) or arealight  (also google) and they have more variations (at a MUCH steeper price). If you're intending to paint these helmets and don't mind if it's not actual lego you could peruse ebay for fake Lego figures which are dirt cheap but undesirable to actual Lego collectors.
    bandit778jmastroskiki180703
  • jmastrosjmastros FloridaMember Posts: 3
    Jackad7, thanks for the detailed and helpful response. I am hoping that the oversized nature of these helmets from the movies might still allow them to work-at least to my liking. But I take your point about the bulkiness of the Lego figures. I intend to check out the resources you suggested. Cheers!
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    I'm slightly confused as to whether you will be trying to fit the helmet onto a head, or just cutting the head off and replacing it with a putty filled lego helmet. The first option seems unlikely to work but the section option would work if the size is right. Most (all?) lego sets have a 1:1 mini pictured on the side so just take one of your bodies down to the store, hold it up and have a look!
    jmastros
  • jmastrosjmastros FloridaMember Posts: 3
    Matt, its the second option I am going for, with a putty filled lego helmet going onto the shoulders of the figure. That is a great idea about the size comparison! I did not know that. In the wargaming community it is easy to find size comparison charts online that show figures against metric grids-I was wondering why I could find nothing of the kind for Lego figures. Now I know-makes perfect sense!
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 553
    edited March 2016
    MattsWhat said:
    I'm slightly confused as to whether you will be trying to fit the helmet onto a head, or just cutting the head off and replacing it with a putty filled lego helmet. The first option seems unlikely to work but the section option would work if the size is right. Most (all?) lego sets have a 1:1 mini pictured on the side so just take one of your bodies down to the store, hold it up and have a look!
    This sounds like a great at to spend more money than he intended to...

jmastroscatwranglerMattsWhatkiki180703sklambricecake