Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

‘The Vault’ A collection of every retail LEGO set since the 60’s

FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 620
I have just read the article "Interview with Lego designer Justin Ramsden", and in this he mentioned the Lego Vault.

This has made me think how much is known about this place, and are there any pictures out there of it?

Comments

• RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,931
    Shhh, we don't talk about the vault.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 890
    ^ First rule of Vault Club.
    MynattRedbullgivesuwindmadforLEGOkiki180703SumoLego
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 620
    Is this the official vault: 

• RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 923
    I remembered seeing photos and/or videos of it previously.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,877
    edited March 2016
    ^^ Thank you for that. I could have looked a bit happier, couldn't I!

Interestingly, all the really interesting stuff like that set I'm holding is no longer in the 'public' vault.

• dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 640
    My question is the vault complete
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    Huw said:
    ^^ Thank you for that. I could have looked a bit happier, couldn't I!

Interestingly, all the really interesting stuff like that set I'm holding is no longer in the 'public' vault.

I did not know there was a public and non-public?  Maybe to create additional space?  Or perhaps the non-public has more valuable sets with more security?
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    dragon114 said:
    My question is the vault complete
    No. People - often @Istokg - occasionally come up with things that are missing.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,635
    Fireheart said:
    Is this the official vault: 

Yes it is.

I visited The Vault back in 2013 along with Huw and a number of other Bricksetters as part of the LEGO Inside Tour; you can read about the visit and see some pics here.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,104
    Guessing some sets are removed due to the rare nature of them and maybe someone damaged an old set while looking. Then again maybe they are just tired of people telling them that some are missing from their collection ;-)
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 620
    ^^ Looks like a once in lifetime trip for an AFOL. 

Back in 2000 when I graduated I got my first job and moved to Oxford as a telecoms service engineer. And my area included Slough and Windsor... A big customer was Lego, at the time I didn't appreciate this. But I got to go all around the Slough call centre, and in the Lego Land Windsor Manor House, even around Lego Land fixing faults etc. Oh how I wish I took more noticed of everything then.... All I remember was that they were a very hard customer due to their complex multi language call centre... 
    If 5 copies of every new set produced each year are added in the vault, it would have run out of space years ago.

From the looks of it the vault isn't that big, I doubt it can hold few thousand new sets added each year, meaning they either have to expand the existing vault or change it into a warehouse, create more vaults or remove sets from it to accomodate new ones.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 594
    The Vault is probably one of the things I'm most excited to see on the Inside Tour this year. I never stopped to consider that space is limited, so it seems like some sort of sacrifice would have had to have been made in order to accommodate new sets. Perhaps there are plans to make the vault bigger? Hopefully I find out the answers in May, or l will definitely ask about it. I hope they're not removing sets from the 90s, because I want to be able to see some of my old friends in their MISB conditions again!
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 531
    Recce said:
    If 5 copies of every new set produced each year are added in the vault, it would have run out of space years ago.
    They did and have, several times.  The Vault been expanded and moved on couple of occasions.  One of the issues is that several very rate items have been misplaced or have gone missing.  The Vault should be thought of more as corporate archive and less as a repository for sets.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,877
    edited March 2016
    The 'public' one under the Idea House is nowhere near complete. It holds just regular retail sets nowadays.

There is, or was, another one under the LEGOLAND Hotel conference centre, which I visited in 2004. That one was more complete and where I photographed a number of hitherto unknown promotional sets.

There are probably othes: it makes no sense to have all your eggs in one basket, after all...
    madforLEGOkiki180703
    It does make sense to have just 1 of each set and duplicate 5 vaults at different locations, just like corporate data backups :-) 
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    I was extremely lucky to be invited to Billund earlier this month, and my tour included The Vault.  Here's a reprint of a post I made on another site...

In a sleepy little town called Billund in Denmark, there is a treasure.  And if you have the right connections, you can get a peek at it.  The Lego House is a museum that can be visited by special arrangement.  Its a very well done timeline of the company with lighted walls showing photos, history, and niches of actual products over the years.  But if you have the right guide, you can step through a secret wall panel in the tour, go down a shallow set of steps, and badge through a door labeled "engineering".

There you will find "the vault" and a copy of every Lego set made since the 1970's.  This is actually Lego's "archival" vault, which means that authorized employees can go down there to do research.  You are allowed to gently handle the sets and take pictures.  And take your trip down memory lane.  Lego has several other vaults in secret locations, with pristine copies of every set, but those aren't open even to employees.  This is the one where you get to feel like a kid again, and kick yourself for not hanging on to that Space, Town, or Pirate set you had long ago.

Interestingly this vault used to include competitor products as Lego did "market research" on its peers.  You can still find a stray Mega***** item there.  No room left now that they are adding 350 products a year, so that's all been cleared out.  The 2016-2017 product shelf is unmarked and kept tightly closed.  Not even a peek allowed there.

IMG_2588JPG

IMG_2586JPG

IMG_2600JPG

IMG_2599JPG

IMG_2589JPG

IMG_2587JPG

IMG_2584JPG

IMG_2583JPG

FireheartSumoLegoricecakeReccekiki180703
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,104
    Makes me miss the old days in the early 80's of going to a TRU or Child World toy store and seeing the huge aisles filled with yellow LEGO boxes.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,061
    That crank storage system gives me some great ideas...

I need me one of them!
    catwranglerkiki180703