Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Alignment issue with part 3943b (Cone/Rocket Step)

So last year I purchased Emmet's Construct-o-Mech (70814) when it was on sale, and noticed when I got home and put it together that the wrecking ball pieces (made from part 3943b) do not line up correctly. I first thought it had something to do with the Technic axle (3705) that holds them together, but realized after asking Lego for replacement parts, and looking through my old Lego pile that I had yet to sort, that all the cones I have seem to suffer the same problem. 

Has anyone else noticed this before? Kind of frustrating that the original mold suffers from this issue, I really want these things to line up!

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    edited March 2016
    Is the axle hole inside the "X" variant vs the "+" variant like this,

If is similar to that then it would be torquing the two pieces in opposite directions against the axle which would result in that type of alignment issue.  Not likely much you can do about it but you may be able to find an older version of those parts that have the true "+" hole and it might line up.
    TyresOFlahertykiki180703
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    I'm at work so I can't try it but I think the 1/2 pin technic pins will fit inside the tubes on the bottom of those so you could put four of them in (or two) and that should line them up as well.
    TyresOFlaherty
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 342
    I'm pretty sure it's the x variant (that's the one in the photo, right?), but I will check when I get home. I like your idea for getting them to line up, I'll give that a shot and post pics later. I just find it silly that even on official production photos you can see this issue (though it looks like the one on the right is lined up and the other one isn't?)

• TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    graphite said:
    Is the axle hole inside the "X" variant vs the "+" variantit might line up.
    It happens with the older version, too, although I think it's to a lesser degree.

But it's still down to the axle, not the cone.

You can apply a bit of torque to get them to line up. Big deal.

However, if you use two such constructs, with a much longer axle (I used two 32Ls because they were handy) so you're not near the ends, and join the cones with two 2x8 technic plates you can apply a bit of torque to get the notches to line up at the same time. The point is that, relative to the cones, the torque is being applied in opposite directions. Swap everything around and it's still the same.
    graphite said:
    I'm at work so I can't try it but I think the 1/2 pin technic pins will fit inside the tubes on the bottom of those so you could put four of them in (or two) and that should line them up as well.
    That's not legal because the pins would be under compression.

But you can use four Axle 3s instead.
    TigerMoth said:

However, if you use two such constructs, with a much longer axle (I used two 32Ls because they were handy) so you're not near the ends, and join the cones with two 2x8 technic plates you can apply a bit of torque to get the notches to line up at the same time. 
    @TigerMoth can you send a photo of what you're talking about? I think I got it, but just in case...tell me the whole thing over again, I wasn't listening.
    TigerMoth said:

However, if you use two such constructs, with a much longer axle (I used two 32Ls because they were handy) so you're not near the ends, and join the cones with two 2x8 technic plates you can apply a bit of torque to get the notches to line up at the same time. 
    @TigerMoth can you send a photo of what you're talking about? I think I got it, but just in case...tell me the whole thing over again, I wasn't listening.
    Not now.

Take a pair of cones. Thread onto a long axle, bases together as in your photo.

Repeat.

Take a Technic 2 x 8 plate and pass one axle through the end hole so that the plate is attached to the cones by the axle and by the four studs on the end of the cone.

Do the same with the last hole at the other end of the plate with the other axle and the other cones.

Do the same with a second 2 x 8 plate on the other side of the cones.

What you have is 2 pairs of cones, side-by-side, linked by two 2 x 8 plates.

!<>!
    !     !
    !<>!

Take a plate in each hand. Twist in  opposite directions. The notches in the cones will align at some point.

What you're doing is twisting the two axles, effectively correcting their built-in twist, but the important thing is that all four outer ends of the cones are "true" to each other - the cones grip the axles nearer their outer ends. When they are, the axles are more-or-less straight (yes, they could have twists both ways), and the notches are also lined-up.

Basically, axles are both bent and twisted. It's not a lot, but enough to show up at the 2L distance from the centre of the axle to the edge of the cone. In normal use, it doesn't matter. Indeed some people have used the twisting of axles as torsion bars (for the the non-mechanically minded, making an axle twist over its length can act like a spring because it naturally tries to undo the twist).
    TyresOFlahertykiki180703
    I like that idea. I of course had just tried to twist the two cones with the axle that comes with the set, but it would always just spring back like you mentioned.

I'll give this a shot and post back with how it all turns out. 

@TigerMoth, thanks for taking the time to help me out!
    I like that idea. I of course had just tried to twist the two cones with the axle that comes with the set, but it would always just spring back like you mentioned.
    So put Axle 3s in the other four holes on the cone bottoms instead - you're not dependant on whether they twist or not, just that they're in the right place.
    TyresOFlahertykiki180703
    @TigerMoth I was able to just use 2 per cone, and they work perfectly! Great idea, thanks!

Fix.jpg 248.3K
    Eek!

Those are Axle 2s, not Axle 3s. If you're not careful, you can push them all the way into the cones - and never get them out!
    TigerMoth said:
    Eek!

Those are Axle 2s, not Axle 3s. If you're not careful, you can push them all the way into the cones - and never get them out!
    Actually, they fit pretty snug, in the middle photo, that's as far down as I can push them. Scared me there for a minute :)
    Sigh! That's another variation in the part. I've found a different, newer, cone.

The cone with the newer style axle hole ("x"-shaped") has holes which are tighter than those with the older one ("+"-shaped) - which means you can't insert an axle so far.

This is actually dangerous (for the health of the pieces). If you connect an older cone with a newer one using Axle 2s, then if you put the axle into the newer piece first, you won't lose the axle, but if you put it into the older piece first, you might end up my pushing it in further and not being able to remove it - and you can't use an Axle 3 as you could with two older cones.
    TyresOFlaherty