Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Ideas - Review Results

Comments

• tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,952
    My daughter will be so disappointed about "the Bus". This Agent of Shield set was what we were all hoping for. I can only hope they already have one in process.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,410
    ^^ A series wasn't going to come from Ideas though. I think if the instructions go online for sale (for the series), they 'll do quite well!
    stluxgmonkey76
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 348
    Both winning sets are good and deserve to be picked. But thankfully, they are not for me. After the fishing store, Saturn V and women of Nasa, it's good not to want the latest Ideas sets.
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,150
    I like both choices and intend to purchase them, but I was really hoping for the tram to get approved.

Looking at the lineup for the next review, I'm not sure any of them get approved. 
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,622
    I hadn't really been following this latest round of approvals, but will gladly purchase the ship in a bottle. 
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 591
    I'm just as excited for Voltron as I am for UCS MF release.  I thought this becoming a set was a pipe dream.

[insert SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY meme here]
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,097
    They're going to get more than a Pidge of my money... they're going to get a substantial Hunk.
    ricecakemonstblitzThe_Mad_VulcanOnebricktoomany
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I'll form the head... of the line to buy Voltron!
    SumoLegojhuntin1monstblitzHanzo
    Don't Sven too much money.

(Okay, I'm done.  Scraping the bottom of the barrel on Voltron puns.)
    ricecakemonstblitz
    READY TO FORM BANKRUPTCY!!!
    gmonkey76SumoLegoThe_Mad_VulcanricecakebobabricksMrKettle
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 482

I'm sorry about the diner and the tram--liked both of them very much indeed--but the ship in the bottle does look like fun. No great interest in Voltron but I'm glad the fans of that IP will be happy.

Of course, at the rate Ideas sets are being issued it will be years before we see either....

• RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 900
    As a collector of Japanese diecast robot and transforming robot toys, I'm really excited to see TLG finally releasing an official, transformable robot model. 

The piece count for this Voltron set looks to be high, though not sure how stable is the fully combined mode.

ricecake
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 598
    With this last review, I'm going to say it is one of the first times that, easily, 75 % or more of the entries would have made some really interesting and unique products. It was a great round, and didn't they now make it so you can't submit current licensed property ideas? If so that's good, because I'd love to see more original ideas come through anyway, since seeing so many awesome licensed stuff NOT get made is heartbreaking!
    catwranglerMynatt
    I hope Voltron sells like hot cakes and opens the doors to more licensing of that sort. Then my dream of officially licensed Godzilla LEGO may one day see the light!
    catwranglerCaptainPirateMan
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,625
    Could i just ask if there was any possibility for a Transformers or Power Rangers theme? I always wondered how awesome it would be to have those themes given the source material being similar to LEGO such as the ability to transform and rebuild into new models.

If those two would never happen due to being LEGO's top competitor then I'd say Voltron is a worthy alternative. Can't wait to see the final product and concept.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 738
    Adzbadboy said:
    Could i just ask if there was any possibility for a Transformers or Power Rangers theme? I always wondered how awesome it would be to have those themes given the source material being similar to LEGO such as the ability to transform and rebuild into new models.

If those two would never happen due to being LEGO's top competitor then I'd say Voltron is a worthy alternative. Can't wait to see the final product and concept.
    For Transformers? Never any chance. The property is wholly owned by one of Lego's biggest competitors.

Power Rangers is at least slightly more possible since it doesn't actually belong to Mattel or Hasbro, it's merely been licensed to them.
    I wouldn't say there isn't any chance. People used to say that about Hasbro and the 1:6 Scale Star Wars figure stuff. They were making 12-inch, it wasn't horrible, but they controlled the margins certainly. But it was unimaginable at the time for them to allow anyone else to have a cut of their Master Toy deal. But they agreed, and the rest of history has been forever altered by Sideshow and Hot Toys.

That was during a time where Hasbro had some very unique people working in their licensing department too, a couple who I know from having worked with. They've licensed out Transformers to all kinds of different product categories.

And if they worked a deal out with KREO for Transformers LEGO-esque rips, then it was the money and the deal that talked. Had LEGO been open to it conceptually or monetarily, it could easily have happened. Maybe they never (the two companies) never even talked about it or synced up about it. But it isn't a no chance kind of thing. It is licensing, driven almost totally by earnings potential and not much more.

The KREO deal could have hurt that potential, though.
    catwrangler
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,885
    I could potentially see Hasbro partnering with LEGO for transformers and gi joe. Since KREO sucked, who knows. I'd even love to see Mattel license out He Man. That won't happen though cause it will be mega bloks, which is just a shame.
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,150
    I wouldn't say 'never', but Power Rangers is highly unlikely. The biggest stumbling block is that Mattel currently has their license as far as I know, and has begun producing Mega Bloks Power Rangers sets under the Mega Construx banner.
    I'm shocked Voltron isn't getting more buzz.  I think this has the potential to be one of the best Lego sets ever if done right. 
    SumoLegomustang69
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 577
    ^ maybe because a lot of people have never heard of voltron or don't care about it...? I think that may be a problem with every licensced theme though
    CM4SLostInTranslation
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,814
    Probably getting a ton of buzz on the Voltron fan sites.
    Shib
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,234
    ^ this. I have seen some excitement for it, but as someone who has never seen any of the source material the Ideas project looked a cool build but with no connection to Voltron personally it's just another LEGO mech, of which there are dozens.

• gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,459
    ^^Don't forget the Deadpool movie connection, and the new Netflix cartoon.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,485
     Voltron is dead to me. No idea what it is. Now a tram.... i can relate to a tram.
    BrikingbobabricksbluedragonSumoLegoMynattLostInTranslation
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 738
    Probably getting a ton of buzz on the Voltron fan sites.
    And in all likelihood most of the buzz elsewhere will come when the actual final model is revealed.
    catwranglerAanchir
    Like the buzz for the next Ideas set?
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I wouldn't say 'never', but Power Rangers is highly unlikely. The biggest stumbling block is that Mattel currently has their license as far as I know, and has begun producing Mega Bloks Power Rangers sets under the Mega Construx banner.
    Jason Bischoff posted this a while ago when the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Command Center was getting traction on IDEAS; however, he is no longer with the company, so who knows what that means now. So, the Mega license doesn't necessarily rule it out, but I do agree with you that the odds are pretty slim.

https://www.rangerboard.com/showpost.php?p=5283125&postcount=61
    Hey Everyone!
    Jason Bischoff here, Director of Global Consumer Products for Saban Brands. Hope all is well! Normally, I'm a creeper around these parts (always have been, will likely always be). That said, I've noticed a lot of misinformation re: Megabloks and Bruce Lowell's recent Lego Ideas project and I'd like to clear the water.

Before we get started, please note that this is a special, one time post. I will not be taking questions on this topic in the forum (nor will I be answering other questions here). Should you like to get in touch, you can do so publically via twitter @prometheanworks. While I can't always answer (per the limits of my job), I'd like to think that I always do my best (hopefully some of you will vouch for that).

OK, on with the show!

>Re: Mega
    -This is an older deal (one that I inherited) that is technically still active
    -The more-recent Mega product reveals (again) are older in nature and were held for movie timing
    -The upcoming MMPR items will see an extremely limited release in specialty stores worldwide (big box retailers TBD)
    -It is a non-exclusive deal

>Re: LEGO Ideas
    -This was a very pleasant, unexpected surprise; great timing!
    -I really commend Bruce Lowell on his design/work!
    -There is nothing about the MEGA deal that prevents us from exploring LEGO ideas
    -LEGO ideas submissions often find their way into other Lego avenues (full lines, games etc.)

Can't say it enough: if you'd like to see LEGO Power Rangers stuff, we really need you guys to rally up, get behind it and vote with your votes! Sharing on social is also an excellent way to help (and Bruce has made it easy for us with banners available on his website).

Long story short: I think this campaign is a terrific way to show Lego how big and awesome we are as a fandom.

Thanks for listening,

J.
    @prometheanworks
    sid3windr
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    Shib said:
    ^ this. I have seen some excitement for it, but as someone who has never seen any of the source material the Ideas project looked a cool build but with no connection to Voltron personally it's just another LEGO mech, of which there are dozens.
    You're missing out! 12 original episodes and the new series are available on Netflix streaming if you have access.
    monstblitz
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,313
    edited August 2017
    I'm shocked Voltron isn't getting more buzz.  I think this has the potential to be one of the best Lego sets ever if done right. 
    I guess you could say that about many sets.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 591
    I'd love it even more if they could do the figures for Voltron too!!!
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,638
    I am super excited about the Voltron set. I know next to nothing about him but...he's a giant Mech! That transforms!! BEST SET EVER!!
    catwrangler
    Gooker1 said:
    Yeah Voltron team mini figures would really be the icing on the cake, but they wouldn't be able to work the scale out without it quickly becoming the biggest set ever. 
    Maybe that's the real reveal on September 1st.  Minifigure scale 8500 piece Voltron set...
    monstblitzMaffyD
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,638
    Gooker1 said:
    Yeah Voltron team mini figures would really be the icing on the cake, but they wouldn't be able to work the scale out without it quickly becoming the biggest set ever. 
    As far as I know, the set does include minifigures, but they just can't fit in Voltron.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2018
    Didn’t see this posted elsewhere, so I hope I’m not duplicating.

The second IDEAS review results for 2017 are in and......
    No projects approved :(
    https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/ee91ef13-2712-4f0b-82bc-da5a2f9e634d?cmp=Other-GLO-Ideas-EML-Jan-18-LEGOIdeasReviewResults-EMLC-WeeklyDigest-Second2017-CO-LEGO-

I can’t say I’m very surprised. I would have loved to see the space shuttle or the Saturn V launch tower approved, but I can kind of understand why they wouldn’t approve something so similar in theme so soon after Saturn V. 
    TXLegoguy
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,296
    :o)

This went up on the front page a couple of hours ago...
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,625
    Second 2017 - Review Results

Several of the LEGO Ideas projects featured in the video fall into the following category:

"Don’t base your project on a licensed property we currently sell, or a property that entered our portfolio through a previous LEGO Ideas set." 

It's frustrating when fans constantly complain after every review result by requesting answers or are shocked by the results. Most answers can be found on the LEGO Ideas guidelines page, projects that are formed around the guidelines will benefit with a higher chance of passing the review stage. If they don’t, you shouldn't be shocked or surprised; don't blame The LEGO Group for your expectations being too high.
    SumoLegogmonkey76dougtssid3windrstluxBumblepantscatwranglerbeemo
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,313

I can’t say I’m very surprised. I would have loved to see the space shuttle or the Saturn V launch tower approved, but I can kind of understand why they wouldn’t approve something so similar in theme so soon after Saturn V. 
    you mean, except for women of Nasa?
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,410
    ^ That's only very distantly "in theme" - it's not a rocket or spaceship at least.

The tower is "duh" not to be accepted, the shuttle is a shame, maybe a bit too soon, the rest are not my thing.

The next run will be full of disappointment once again, as no way those 2 fishing store neighbours will be accepted, for example...
    Fizyxgmonkey76stluxAstrobricks
    edited January 2018
    I'm pretty sure if it makes 10,000 votes, it should automatically be a set.  Sold for $29.99 and delivered to my house by Shania Twain or Keith Urban.

I actually found this video refreshing.  You don't always get what you want!
    pharmjodgmonkey76CM4Ssid3windrstluxBumblepants[Deleted User]willobee498
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 631
    I'm predicting pop-up book is the one he was talking about for next review period. I don't think either of the seaside Old Fishing store models will make it; "too similar to products currently on shelves". Christmas Story would require licensing so would take longer. The car is possible, but unlikely, there have been plenty similar projects that were rejected, and I don't know what to say about the last one. 
    Pop-up book is just something clever and different. It would be relatively inexpensive as a bonus. 
    FizyxSumoLegostluxLostInTranslationcatwranglerInfinityman
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 177
    I'm in no way surprised by these results, but at the same time, there is demonstrated demand for additional sets in the theme of the Old Fishing Store.  Maybe it doesn't have to be IDEAS, but I'd hope that TLG can recognize that they should talk to the designer about creating a line of these
    Fizyxgmonkey76AstrobricksMynattcatwranglerJern92
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 801
    I'm in no way surprised by these results, but at the same time, there is demonstrated demand for additional sets in the theme of the Old Fishing Store.  Maybe it doesn't have to be IDEAS, but I'd hope that TLG can recognize that they should talk to the designer about creating a line of these
    Amen to this.  Honestly, the idea of a seaside town in that style is more exciting to me than the yearly modulars, and over the last year I have come to be very excited about the modulars, so that's saying something.  On top of that, RobenAnne's design sensibility in this style is just fantastic.  I would not be sad at all to see a few more of these released officially outside of the Ideas line, especially if they brought RobenAnne on and they got some of the credit somehow.

On the topic of the review video, I think the pop-up book is almost certainly the one that got approved.  No licensing, smaller set, exceptionally creative base idea, likely to need few if any rare/expensive parts and it might not even need any printed parts.  And the fact that LEGO can really play around with the interiors and the fan excitement possibility from designing and sharing different popups has to have the marketing team salivating.  If the set takes off and spawns it's own niche of pop-up style MOCs and building, well, you can't buy that kind of ongoing publicity and good will.  And if it doesn't, it's still a creative and interesting set that will almost certainly sell well.

Of all the remaining sets, it's really the only one that stands out to me as being likely to be passed, as well.  There are issues with all the rest of the sets, even though I like quite a lot of them, that mirror some of the sets rejected today... and the pop-up book is the only one that seems to be completely unencumbered by any of them.
    pharmjodBumblepantsSpaceship11
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,885
    Yes, my money is on the pop up book as well. Which is what I wanted anyway :) I'm a huge fan of JK Brickworks style and creativity.
    FizyxInfinityman
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,459
    Can't see the fishing store neighbors get accepted as LEGO just discontinued the tan baseplate. It's a shame as those are the ones I really want. It's possible that they could still use them as other sets used baseplates not for sale in stores, but unless they do like Minecraft they won't be Ideas sets.
    Out of the next batch, I’m guessing the Jaguar or the Christmas Story house have the best chances. I love RobenAnne’s stuff, but I can’t see LEGO releasing another one anytime soon.
    edited January 2018
    That would be awesome. There’s too much talent there to keep under the IDEAS tent.

Can’t say I have any interest in the pop up book.
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 536
    edited January 2018
    I like the additional sets in the Old Fishing Store theme, but honestly think they are too similar to the original to stand a chance of getting through. The original Fishing Shop was a fantastic design and remains my favourite set, but, of the additional models proposed, there isn't much there that couldn't be built with 90% of the pieces from 21310 and a bit of creativity. I'm also developing a small harbour front scene, but think it will be more fun to build MOCs than purchase additional sets that have been designed for me. I managed to pick up a few Old Fishing Store sets for an excellent price so will use those as the basis for my new models, obviously with a few additions.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,904
    Not counting the Batman version and a few promo items, Lego has made ~15 space shuttle sets so far. It is not an IDEA they need suggested to them. Silly that was even on there. The whole point is to come up with innovative and unique things.
    stluxCCCgmonkey76bandit778drdavewatfordAdzbadboyM_Boss