Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Ideas - Review Results

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,055
    This is a Cave Troll-y

bluedragonstluxpharmjodMynattcatwranglergmonkey76SumoLegodavetheoxygenmanbandit778
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,154
    So what is this?

catwrangler
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,427
    Looks like an old woman's shopping cart to me... :)
    Bumblepantspharmjodgmonkey76SumoLegodavetheoxygenmanLegoboy
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879

You seem to have misspelled "cart"....

Where I come from, it is spelled "buggy" (I use "cart" myself, though).
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,823

It's a tram or tramcar - only in the US is the term "trolley" used. (See railway vs railroad, etc.)

Apparently it's not a US/UK distinction, but two slightly different things according to how many wires and poles are involved - I started wondering about it because I remembered that people of my mum's generation (baby boomers) always refer to the old "trolleybus" system we used to have in Belfast when she was younger (it's always in the context of how they really should bring them back): 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybus

I now know more about trolleybuses than I ever thought possible! 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,355
    If Judy Garland sings about it, it must be true.  Plus it is on the internet.

She ain't singin' 'bout trams.
    catwrangler
    You can keep her. We have Mother Goose singing about the regeneration of Oldham...

http://www.coliseum.org.uk/mother-goose-the-tram-song/

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,249
    You know that feeling of walking into a room and thinking "what did I come in here for?"

i find I frequently get that with brickset :-P
    stevecook132gmonkey76catwranglerdmcc0BumblepantsMrKettlebandit778Dedgeckokhmellymel
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101

THIS is  a trolley.
    Image result for lego mr rogers trolley

No this is a trolley 

You're both wrong. It's called a "buggy".

and....to add to the silliness.....

Tennessee Williams did NOT call his book "A tram named desire".

:-p 
    catwranglerSumoLegoricecake
  • astarguyastarguy Member Posts: 40
    old fishing store just announced as new lego ideas set!
    Dedgecko
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 791

This is a trolley

Most definitely a tram :-)
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,649

astarguy said:

old fishing store just announced as new lego ideas set!

Source?
    ^ Whoops. I mean that was announced last October.
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,309
    Speaking of Old Fishing Store.. why isn't it out?

It's done being developed. We saw the final box art and model months ago. Why is it taking so long to release? An earlier release should allow for more products being released in a year. I bet the next review phase has already been decided and they've started prototyping the model. 
    Th1nDieselSumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,355
    edited May 2017
    I think they need to wait on the rest of the Big Bang Theory, Ecto-1s, and Mazes to clear out before adding new sets to the shelves.  

(And perhaps even the retirement of the Beatles and just - released Caterham?  I get the sense these are relatively low production runs, so dedicating a lot of shelf space probably isn't efficient.)
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799

CM4S said:

It's done being developed. We saw the final box art and model months ago. Why is it taking so long to release? An earlier release should allow for more products being released in a year. I bet the next review phase has already been decided and they've started prototyping the model. 

They are still trying to get a helicopter associated with it somehow.
    CM4Sgmonkey76catwranglersid3windrMrKettleMynattkhmellymellentilCovi
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,249

CM4S said:

Probably because of production line allotment - that kind of planning does take a long time.
    Aanchir
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202

Shib said:

CM4S said:

Probably because of production line allotment - that kind of planning does take a long time.

^ this. I'd also imagine the box might be of the prototype, which would mean they're waiting part production runs to complete the sets.
    Aanchir

Dedgecko said:

CM4S said:

They are still trying to get a helicopter associated with it somehow.

Old Fishing Helicopter
    catwranglersid3windr
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 174
    tomahawker said:

It will be mine.  Oh yes. It will be mine.

Can I put the Fender Saturn V back now, please?        

Not today, my good man.  I'm feeling saucy...

ricecakeBananasdspigel
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 804
    CM4S said:

Maybe it's the 2018 modular building?
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,539
    edited August 2017
    Ideas posted on Twitter that the 2016 3rd Review Results will be revealed later today. I would like the Diner to win but I think it will be the tram, based on where Sanne is sitting in the pic they posted (on the Legoland train it looks like) . They are also doing a competition to guess the winner so that implies that *something* has been chosen, at least, no washout. 
    stlux
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 410
    Come on Tram!

I think it'll be Red Dwarf though
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,867
    oooooooooooo.... it a good day, who will win.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,659

I really doubt it'll be Red Dwarf - the humour in the show is a little too old for the generic Lego target demographic, and they can't ignore that, can they?

I'd like the Iron Giant to win, but I don't think it will - the Land Rover and Golf are probably more likely (because cars) and the Tram (because trains).

Ideas from licensed themes just won't work, and I think that with the old fishing store they'll have had their fill of buildings for a while.

Ship in a bottle is too odd, but who knows!

Ayliffe
    Come on Red Dwarf!

I think it'll be the ship though. And I'm fine with that too. :)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,055
    Tram seems likely. Nice stand alone model, hasn't been done before, and isn't massive. 

Does anyone know how big a following Red Dwarf has outside the UK? I have never seen any merchandise or anything even on sites like Thinkgeek in the US.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,349
    edited August 2017
    MaffyD said:

I really doubt it'll be Red Dwarf - the humour in the show is a little too old for the generic Lego target demographic, and they can't ignore that, can they?

You could say the same about the Simpsons, though, and indeed Big Bang Theory.... Red Dwarf certainly has a cult following like a number of other successful submissions so far and has a decent chance IMHO.

It wouldn't surprise me if none of these passed, though - lots have existing I.P. issues and others are either potentially too niche or just too similar to existing products.
    MaffyDsid3windr

Good points @drdavewatford - although I always thought the Simpsons was more family oriented, and I would have to take your word for it on TBBT - I've never seen it.

Do you think Lego would have an announcement tweet if they were going to say nothing has made it through?

Maybe I should stop speculating, and just wait... :-)

• AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 307
    edited August 2017
    Voltron and Ship in a Bottle - wow.
    ^ As someone noted in the comments on the main site, they're asking to guess the winner, so I assume at least one will pass...
    MaffyD
    ^ Someone didn't refresh the page before commenting! :-)
    sid3windr
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,349
    Excellent - ship in a bottle should be an interesting build. I did worry that it might be thrown out as it has the potential to be quite fragile, but glad they took the chance.
    stluxMaffyDbandit778catwranglerSumoLego
    MaffyD said:
    ^ Someone didn't refresh the page before commenting! :-)
    Guilty as charged indeed :o Anyway, ship in a bottle is nice, I'm happy with that!
    Do you think you will be able to put the ship in through the neck, and pull up the masts like a real ship in a bottle, or will it be building the bottle around the ship?

catwrangler
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,867
    Voltron made it? wow!
    what's the part count on that?

and boooo, no Red Dwarf. :-( rats...

and speaking of rat's "ship in a bottle."
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 280
    Disappointed in their choices, but happy I won't be spending more money.
    BumblepantsMynatt
    ^^^ At least how it is now is building the bottle around the ship.
  • zorzoszorzos CyprusMember Posts: 26
    So happy for Voltron and for anyone who got excited for ship in a bottle!
    Now I'm curious for details, part count, price and such for Voltron.
    And I really want to see what changes TLG makes to the submitted project.
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,309
    Congrats to Voltron fans - never seen the show but hopefully the model is good enough for me to want it.

Ship in a Bottle is nice too

rewlly wanted that diner though 
    LostInTranslationMynattSumoLego
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 429
    I am so stoked that Voltron made it, I was really hoping it would and cannot wait until the final model is revealed. It will definitely be a day one purchase!!!!
    The_Mad_Vulcan
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 595
    Super happy both made it.  Those were my top choices.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Voltron + LEGO = Only something much younger me could've dreamed. 
    bandit778SumoLego
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,005
    Looking forward to seeing how the final build for the bottle finishes up as it will be interesting to see whether TLG go for a clearer view with less joins or more sturdy but smaller parts.

Also think that the rigging on the ship could be a bit of a mare if like me you have fat thumbs as it looks quite intricate.

Nice choices though and nice to see two projects make it that are a bit different.

Still would have liked Red Dwarf set even if it was just for the Minifigs.
    catwrangler
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    Ship in a bottle looks nice. If the finished product is true to this model, I'll probably buy it. But Voltron? Meh. I even watched that show as a kid and I have no interest in it now. I really wish lego would refrain from making these fanboy sets and focused on original ideas instead.
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 487
    I wanted the tram badly but happy about Voltron.
    SumoLego
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,823
    Really glad about Voltron; it looks like an amazing set and I want to get my hands on it despite never having seen the series. And the ship in a bottle is a really nice surprise; nobody seemed to rate its chances much when the list was announced, but I think it'll be interesting to build and a great display piece. 
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 577
    Aw, was really hoping for the boat repair shop or the diner. Thought the boat repair shop would have done really well next to the old fishing store, that being said, I would love to have a series of robenanne's fishing harbor. The diner also looked so cool! After having recently seen Baby Driver (Highly recommend the movie) I began rooting for it more to become a set. 

The golf GT would have been also cool to see but hope lego pulls another ideas inspired set and does a golf themselves. I think it would go well with the other advanced vehicle models. Would have also loved to see the iron giant. Really good movie.

This was a really good round of Ideas sets and looking forward to how these sets may turn out to final products!
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    My wallet is happy with these results as I'm not interested in either. Though I'll grab Voltron one day if the sale is right.