Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Ideas - Review Results

Comments

• CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 96
    @Fizyx - I especially like his variation of Pursuit of Flight with Santa hanging on for dear life as his reindeer pull the sleigh.
    FizyxKungFuKenny
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 461
    edited September 4
    Fizyx said:
    The Pursuit of Flight is a fantastic set.  He's posted a ton of modifications for it himself too...
    I would buy add on packs for the Star Wars trench run and the Santa’s Sleigh mods... they both look great (in my opinion better than the original submission)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WvIC6gjKIMw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih8nm_EW_tc

edit: @Cymbeline beat me to the punch!
    Fizyx
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,885
    pxchris said:
    Also, just the fact that this is for the US version of The Office would seem to be a deterrent, as I would assume that most UK (any perhaps other European) buyers would prefer the UK version?
    I think even the British and Europeans can admit the US version of the office is far superior. 
    Switchfoot55Pyrobugcatwrangler
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 618
    edited September 6
    What’s the deal with the Japanese Tea Garden project? They claim it was archived for “private” reasons, but unlike Gravity Falls Mystery Shack, it seems to have disappeared entirely. Their link to it on the blog isn’t even a working link.
    I think it came out that a Lego store employee was the designer. I seem to recall a comment about that recently.
    I don't understand why that would be an issue? It's not like retail level staff have any sort of edge over anyone else?
    Pyrobug
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,497
    klinton said:
    What’s the deal with the Japanese Tea Garden project? They claim it was archived for “private” reasons, but unlike Gravity Falls Mystery Shack, it seems to have disappeared entirely. Their link to it on the blog isn’t even a working link.
    I think it came out that a Lego store employee was the designer. I seem to recall a comment about that recently.
    I don't understand why that would be an issue? It's not like retail level staff have any sort of edge over anyone else?
    Are you asking two questions or making two statements?
    I'm sure its all to make sure the process seems fair. It's very common that a company's employees are specifically excluded from participating in a contest that company runs.
    stluxFizyxgmonkey76560Heliportdougtscatwrangler
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,922
    pharmjod said:
    pxchris said:
    Also, just the fact that this is for the US version of The Office would seem to be a deterrent, as I would assume that most UK (any perhaps other European) buyers would prefer the UK version?
    I think even the British and Europeans can admit the US version of the office is far superior. 
    They are so different in style, there is little comparison. Personally, I prefer the UK version most of the time but I'll watch the US one when I want something a bit lighter. I think playing David Brent as a complete jerk is funnier than the much more viewer friendly Michael Scott. I find the UK version a much more brutal, cringeworthy and probably more honest view of a workplace than the US version. That isn't to say the US one isn't funny. It is, but it is much more viewer friendly and heavily scripted to be funny.
    The_Rancorvizzitordmcc0Fizyxbgl_84sonatine01Lordmoral
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 780
    ^ Original ‘The Office’ (I.e. the British one) is far more realistic to the workplace and just so cynical and dry which is what makes me laugh so much. American office is cool too and makes me giggle but I don’t like the more ‘obvious’ humour as much personally. Peep Show is even better if you like real, satirical humour on daily life (there’s no American equivalent that i’m aware of).

I’m not sure The Office would make a good Ideas set - it’s just not as colourful and quirky as an environment in comparison to Central Perk or Big Bang flat
    vizzitoromniumsonatine01
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 233
    I’m not sure The Office would make a good Ideas set - it’s just not as colourful and quirky as an environment in comparison to Central Perk or Big Bang flat
    I'd agree with that having made a version of my own department in work last year. After making a desk, computer, cabinet and a set of drawers, it's more or less just a case of rinse and repeat, then putting up some boring square walls and any windows. The very practical nature and samey-ness of any office just makes a Lego version fairly tedious really.
    I found the fun bits were recreating some decorations or trinkets people had on their desks and allowing people to pick out minifigure parts to make themselves. It looks like an Office set would be similar where the minifigures would be the draw and a couple of tiny builds or printed tiles or stickers to differentiate desks.
    LittleLori
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,868
    As is, the Office set is a sprawling expanse of dull, repetitive building. If it did pass it would need to be scaled down considerably. Then you run the risk of alienating fans by eliminating their favorite 2nd tier characters.

That said I would buy any set featuring Kevin Malone spilling his cauldron of chili. 
    vizzitorFizyxSwitchfoot55klintonMynatt
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,609
    That said I would buy any set featuring Kevin Malone spilling his cauldron of chili. 
    I have a hard time watching that scene as I feel so bad for poor Kevin. For some reason, that scene elicits the most personal response from me for a character than any other in the series. 

...maybe I just love chili that much?
    AstrobricksFizyx
    Kevin is not a patch on Big Keith.

His appraisal was perfect ...

and his advice about the ladies ...

The_RancorKungFuKennyvizzitorCharmiefcb
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 780
    Under weaknesses, you’ve put eczema...
    KungFuKennyvizzitor
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,025
    pharmjod said:
    Um.  I don't necessarily agree with this.
    CCC said:
    That isn't to say the US one isn't funny. It is, but it is much more viewer friendly and heavily scripted to be funny.
    They are totally different shows.  But even by comparison the UK version is genius.  The US version is entertaining.
    KungFuKennyvizzitorredarmyMaffyDsonatine01
    CCC said:
    and his advice about the ladies ...
    “Women are turned on by what they hear...” — now how can I use that to sneak more Lego past the wife’s radar...
    As is, the Office set is a sprawling expanse of dull, repetitive building.
    It's an amusing show, as was Friends in it's heyday. Big Bang Theory just makes my skin crawl, so I've no interest from the get go. I really just don't see the desire for Lego sets of these properties though? They're just not concepts that inspire me to want 'stuff', Lego or otherwise.

Coffee shops, offices, and living rooms just seem like things that might spice up a Creator set, but aren't terribly exciting in their own right. That they're all just displaced vignettes and all include 'flesh' coloured minifigs makes them even more off putting, tbh. I'm sure with minimal effort you could populate your Lego town with perfectly convincing replicas of your favorite characters from any property, from the absolute plethora of existing minifig parts options out there now.

I'm probably entirely alone in my opinion, given the buzz these things create, but if Lego never does another 'sitcom' set, I can't say I'd be at all disappointed. /shrug
    FizyxBumblepantsPyrobugcatwranglerSumoLegodatsunrobbie
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,803
    I would love the Medieval Blacksmith, in particular, or the Seven Dwarfs' House to get through. 
    MCNwakeboard
    klinton said:
    Coffee shops, offices, and living rooms just seem like things that might spice up a Creator set, but aren't terribly exciting in their own right.
    I would be remiss if I didn't point out that both Friends and Big Bang were immensely popular, and more importantly, the boringness of the sets was offset by interesting doo-dads and detail pieces that fans appreciate.

I agree - however - that they probably don't produce a lot of these sets, as they are serving a subsection of a subsection of not their primary consumer.
    The other problem with The Office is ...

Although I guess it is retired, since $120 for 367 (or 369?) parts makes lego look good value ...

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,497
    ^ At least they also have the #21319 FRIENDS set for $175! ;-)
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 570
    Good selection of sets this result! I was kind of expecting to see Addams Family, because there’s a new animated show/movie? coming out for this... Exciting to see what the finished products of all three will look like and also how they’ll figure out a way to not make ‘new parts’ for the figures of Sesame Street..
    vizzitorKungFuKennygmonkey76catwrangler
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,226
    Am I the only one who can't help thinking that Sesame Street would make much more sense as a Duplo theme than a high cost Ideas set? 
    vizzitorBumblepantsdmcc0Mynattbpk2300RogerKirkcatwrangler
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 233
    edited September 26
    There'll be a lot of Sesame Street talk around on the 10th of November since it's the 50th anniversary of the first broadcast so I think Lego can capitalise on that. It's at least 2 or 3 generations of nostalgia they can tap into.
    Saying that, I don't think they'll actually have a set on the shelves for it but can get a few mentions in the media about the upcoming set anyway. I'll be one getting it as soon as I can at least.
    Fizyxgmonkey76
    I'm pretty excited for the pirate set. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
    KungFuKennyFizyxLostInTranslationMr_Crossgmonkey76MCNwakeboardCymbelineLittleLori
    ^ I like the look of that also-- all three are tempting to me to be completely honest...
    Fizyxgmonkey76
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 796
    edited September 26
    On the one hand, I'm excited for the pirate set, because who doesn't love pirates?

On the other hand, the more I think about it, the more I'm wondering if this approval implies that there is going to be a distinct lack of classic pirate sets for the next few years, which would be sad :(
    BumblepantsMr_Crossgmonkey76
    Fizyx said:
    On the one hand, I'm excited for the pirate set, because who doesn't love pirates?

On the other hand, the more I think about it, the more I'm wondering if this approval implies that there is going to be a distinct lack of classic pirate sets for the next few years, which would be sad :(
    My guess is that this will increase the number of classic pirate sets from 0 to 1 for the next few years. It has been what, 10 years since they last did pirates? And everyone complained it wasn't good enough at the time anyway. One really big, elaborate set sounds better to me than a standard line up of $10-90 sets with a 4+ or two thrown in.
    pxchrisFizyxMr_Crossgmonkey76Baby_YodaMCNwakeboardcatwrangler
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,219
    edited September 26
    The last wave of pirate sets was just 4 years ago, with 4 small sets and a ship in 2015 ;-) (+ a chess set and GWP)
    FizyxMr_CrossSumoLegoLittleLori
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 557
    Honestly, all three selections are great I think. It will be very interesting to see how each of them develop into released sets.
    I have a feeling that the only one I'll end up buying though, will be the Pirate Bay. For the Sesame Street set, I'm especially interested in seeing how they bring about the minifigs... these guys just scream for new molds, but we know that new molds is outside of the Ideas playbook. The piano is just simply a beautifully genius model.
    SumoLego
    I am SO pumped for the Piano! I've wanted to add it to my collection since I first saw it gaining support. It'll be interesting to see how the scale ends up in the final model. 
    BrickByBrickKungFuKennyFizyxBaby_YodaSumoLego
    stlux said:
    The last wave of pirate sets was just 4 years ago, with 4 small sets and a ship in 2015 ;-) (+ a chess set and GWP)
    For some reason I thought it was '09
    SumoLego
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 627
    ^Shows how memorable the 2015 Pirates sets were...
    Switchfoot55560Heliportgmonkey76SumoLegodmcc0pharmjod
    Wonder if that raised baseplate in the back of the Pirate's Bay will be included in the final version... it has been a while since we have seen a proper one ( I don't count the Chima and Chess set ones).  In fact it may have been #7327 where they were last used (probably 7 or 8 years ago).
    Switchfoot55Bumblepants
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,952
    Huh. I will be curious to see the final products on these. The pirate set in particular I am very excited with, but potential interest in the other two as well!
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,841
    Shib said:
    Am I the only one who can't help thinking that Sesame Street would make much more sense as a Duplo theme than a high cost Ideas set? 
    As a modular building fan the Sesame Street set is a must!
    vizzitorgmonkey76KungFuKennydavetheoxygenman
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 405
    I will definitely be interested in getting the Sesame Street set since it will go nicely with the modulars, I just hope they dont make it smaller. Depending on the final design of the pirate set (and cost) I may get that as it might go nicely with the Old Fishing Store.
    Switchfoot55vizzitorgmonkey76
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,242
    Pirate Bay looks cool, Sesame Street will be cool for kids, and is it just me or is this the billionth piano on Lego Ideas? I suppose the playable aspect sets it apart.
    ^Yeah, there have been others, but nothing close to what was submitted. It's a true display piece that will hit a lot of markets outside of the usual LEGO demographic. My wife has played piano since she was 3 years old. She tolerates my LEGO addiction, but she's thrilled to add this to our display. 
    KungFuKennyFizyxSumoLegoBaby_Yodapxchrisdatsunrobbiepharmjodcatwrangler
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 796
    edited September 27
    SumoLego said:
    I suppose this makes up for that one batch than had no finalists.  I like all three sets and I'm very interested to see what those minifigs look like.

Can someone hope that a round of Sesame Street CMFs are in the pipeline?  (Swedish Chef and News Anchor Cookie Monster are both must-haves!)
    I would almost kill to have a Statler and Waldorf pair if we could extend that to Muppets in general :P

BrickByBrickgmonkey76vizzitorSumoLego560Heliportpharmjodcatwrangler
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Sesame Street will be cool for kids,
    And me! I haven't been this excited for an Ideas set since Voltron! I'm still a little surprised that it made it through, tbh. I have been fiending for Lego Muppets since licensing became a big thing for Lego. I can't freaking wait to get this!
    Baby_Yodavizzitorgmonkey76
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,242
    ^ It's going to be released with Lepin branding in China.
    catwrangler
    I like the Pirate Bay, but I think that will probably end up being very expensive.

The piano, clever mechanism but ultimately pointless. It's fine as a display model, but you don't need the mechanism for a display. Whereas this has a mechanism but it doesn't actually play, so it is not playable.

Sesame Street. To me it looks like a really boring almost modular house with minifigures. I don't really have any attachment to the show, so have no interest in the minifigures. I am also not sure who it is aimed at. It is too large, expensive and probably complex for current Sesame Street viewers. And are adults going to display a set based on a programme aimed at 3-4 year olds? Are teens going to display something that was cool when they were a toddler? I guess we will find out. Muppets I could understand as at least that was aimed at an older age range.
    CCC said:

Sesame Street. To me it looks like a really boring almost modular house with minifigures. I don't really have any attachment to the show, so have no interest in the minifigures. I am also not sure who it is aimed at. It is too large, expensive and probably complex for current Sesame Street viewers. And are adults going to display a set based on a programme aimed at 3-4 year olds? Are teens going to display something that was cool when they were a toddler? I guess we will find out. Muppets I could understand as at least that was aimed at an older age range.
    It's wildly nostalgic for me. The general design is reminiscent of the Fisher Price set I loved on as a child:

It holds the same appeal to me as the Disney Castle and Voltron, in that it literally recreates an actual toy from my past in an interesting new medium. I will absolutely display the model alongside any other toy (er, 'collectible') in my collection. I'm pretty sure that the casual observer sees nothing more nor less appropriate in Sesame Street than any other Lego model sitting on your shelves. It's all just children's playthings to most people. If you honestly believe otherwise, you're just kidding yourself.
    mustang69vizzitorFizyxtamamahmgmonkey76Baby_YodaLittleLoricatwranglerflord
    Would you display the Fisher Price toy as well? Personally I wouldn't.

I do have a few things from my teens that I occasionally display (James Bond figures, Battlestar Galactica ships and figures, Action Men, Subbuteo teams, etc) and I don't mind displaying them as they are things that (at least to me) still look quite cool. Whereas I don't think I'd display things I played with as a toddler. But maybe that is just me.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,565
    People have lots of different motivations to collect and display things that are personal to them. I wouldn't try to earmark one or two particular stages of someone growing up as being especially more or less relevant or appropriate. And the things that might commonly be attributed to pre-school or early years are not necessarily that for everyone.
    And as you get older and have children and maybe grandchildren, it comes back around again.
    vizzitorklintonLittleLorisid3windrcatwrangler
    edited September 27
    CCC said:
    Would you display the Fisher Price toy as well? Personally I wouldn't.

I do have a few things from my teens that I occasionally display (James Bond figures, Battlestar Galactica ships and figures, Action Men, Subbuteo teams, etc) and I don't mind displaying them as they are things that (at least to me) still look quite cool. Whereas I don't think I'd display things I played with as a toddler. But maybe that is just me.
    Nope. I've no real desire to acquire the actual toy I had as a child, let alone put it on a shelf. I do, however, need to own the Lego interpretation of it. My lack interest in it is on par with my lack of interest in vintage Lego sets though. They were fun when I was young, but are best left in the past. The reality is a pale shadow of my memories of enjoying them. Sometimes newer is, indeed, better.

I'd actually typed up a whole spiel here about exactly what I get out of collecting Lego (or any other 'toy'), and which genuine childhood relics I've held onto for 40 years and why... but it's neither here nor there. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but my interest in my collections is tied rather firmly to my childhood. A Sesame Street Lego model is as relevant as any high end statuette, plastic figurine, or complex D2C Lego set, imho. :D

mustang69vizzitordmcc0datsunrobbiepharmjodCymbeline
    Wonder if that raised baseplate in the back of the Pirate's Bay will be included in the final version... it has been a while since we have seen a proper one ( I don't count the Chima and Chess set ones).  In fact it may have been #7327 where they were last used (probably 7 or 8 years ago).
    I loved raised baseplates as a kid and the Ramp & Pit was the greatest. This is a set that would probably benefit Lego to use one to boost size image and cut cost but it's been so long since they made any perhaps it would be more trouble than it's worth.

The sprawling size of the PB is probably going to be shrunk down some too for the final version followed quickly by comments 'uhh Lego ruined it now it's a jrs set!'
    FizyxSumoLegogmonkey76KungFuKennyandhe
    klinton said:
    Nope. I've no real desire to acquire the actual toy I had as a child, let alone put it on a shelf. I do, however, need to own the Lego interpretation of it.
    Yeah, it is interesting what people will and won't display. Personally I only display things that I think still look good on display now, even if I loved them as a kid. I really loved The Mr Men as a kid, and used to have pictures of them (all drawn by me) all over my walls. I have no interest in displaying them these days though, in toy form, picture form or LEGO form.

That's why I was wondering about Sesame Street, and whether people still think it is cool enough to display (as an adult).

It will also be interesting to see what they do with the minifigures, whether they use new molds (which they don't do for ideas sets, at least until now). Without new ones, I think the figures might be rather off-putting.
    SumoLegoKungFuKenny
    edited September 27
    CCC said:
    I have no interest in displaying them these days though, in toy form, picture form or LEGO form.
    Note to self... @CCC is not the target market for Babar, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, or Captain Kangaroo sets.
    FizyxSwitchfoot55tamamahmKungFuKennybrickventuresdmcc0