Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Ideas - Review Results

Comments

• devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 280
    oldtodd33 said:
    Can't believe the video not only named the Treehouse as being created by Kevin Treehouse but also written that way when the creator's last name is really Feeser. 

Um... he submitted the project using the name 'Kevin TreeHouse'.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,933
    oldtodd33 said:
    Can't believe the video not only named the Treehouse as being created by Kevin Treehouse but also written that way when the creator's last name is really Feeser. 
    His name on the submission was 'KevinTreeHouse'.  They differentiated it from his actual name.  It'd have been more emtertained if his name was Kevin Freezer.

Anyway, I liked how they omitted any mention of 'Swiss Family Robinson' in the video or print materials.
    Baby_Yoda
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,147
    I will probably try and get The Flinstones set, but I do wonder if they've relaxed their 'no new elements' rule for Ideas submissions? It seems to me that some new elements would be necessary for some of the hair styles.

The Treehouse is an interesting idea, and while I may not purchase it I'm glad to see it approved since it's not a licensed property. 

I too would have liked the SR-71 Blackbird, but knew it had no chance of getting approved. My wife and I got to see the real one back in September of 2017 when we went to the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center. It's an impressive looking machine in real life too. 
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    ^^ and ^^^  Yep, I've had my head up my butt all day. Don't know why it didn't make sense at the time. Sad part is, I drove to work in the rain in heavy traffic at 6:30 this morning too going above the speed limit to boot. 
    SumoLego
    edited October 2018
    I find my head gets cold if not firmly up my butt.  (And since my foot is in my mouth, I don't often need to wear socks.)
    Baby_Yoda
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 877
    ^Just one sock, I suppose...
    SumoLego
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 532
    The announcement somehow fell off my radar until today. Super excited about the Flintstones. I wonder how many minifigs and pets they'll include. BamBam? Pebbles? Dino? Hoppy? Baby Puss? THE GREAT GAZOO? Yabba dabba doo! Can't wait!
    SumoLego
    Six minifigures and Dino would be pushing it.  (TBBT had seven minifigs, so I suppose it's not unprecedented.)
  • brianoblivionbrianoblivion NYCMember Posts: 71
    Outside of the truly dedicated-does anyone still care about the flintstones? It hasn't seen much in the way of remakes/reboots since the Rosie O'Donnell and John Goodman movies in the mid 90s and in general just seemed like a franchise whose time had come and gone. I've always been ambivalent towards it but if it makes some people happy, why not? I really liked the pizza parlor/arcade. I would've bought that in a heartbeat. Does Lego ever give reasons why certain sets are rejected?
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 348
    edited October 2018
    I think the idea of the Flintstones is pretty timeless. Set in a prehistoric anachronic world with hilarious modern contraptions powered by animals, dinosaurs everywhere and funny characters.

It can be something that generation after generation watches. I think the biggest problem with it today is the low definition/low picture quality, meaning it doesn't always look great when watched. But re-make it and I'm pretty sure it could be a success again, in the same way they remake Scooby Doo pretty much every decade.
    Baby_Yoda
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 348
    edited October 2018
    I've also just seen that there is a new tv series focusing on Pebbles, Bamm-Bamm and Dino due for release next year (first Flintstones tv series in over 20 years).

Does that signal these three characters are more likely to appear in the final set? Or could more sets be on the way?
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,808
    Outside of the truly dedicated-does anyone still care about the flintstones? It hasn't seen much in the way of remakes/reboots since the Rosie O'Donnell and John Goodman movies in the mid 90s and in general just seemed like a franchise whose time had come and gone. I've always been ambivalent towards it but if it makes some people happy, why not? I really liked the pizza parlor/arcade. I would've bought that in a heartbeat. Does Lego ever give reasons why certain sets are rejected?
    I believe there’s a cartoon reboot in the works, but besides that I suspect it’s basically just nostalgia-focused rather than aiming to capitalize on any kind of current zeitgeist.

LEGO generally doesn’t explain why particular projects are rejected, but in the case of the pizza parlor/arcade I suspect it would risk cannibalizing the sales of the regularly scheduled modular buildings. If LEGO thought the market was strong enough to bear more than one new Creator Expert style modular building a year they’d probably already be releasing more than one a year. Such is the risk faced by any project trying to fit into a current or ongoing series, even a non-licensed one: LEGO has probably already done their own research into how many sets they can afford to release at any given time and planned their future releases accordingly. Not to mention the possibility that a similar set may already be in the works… after all, it’s not as though arcades and pizzerias are things that we wouldn’t expect designers to be able to come up with and convince their higher-ups of on their own.
    stluxpharmjodBumblepants
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,218
    There was a recent DC comics reboot of The Flintstones as a comic which was brilliant. Aimed very much at the older audience it had some much more interesting takes on the setting.

stluxRogerKirkBaby_Yodacatwranglertomahawkersonsofscevaguachi
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,806
    RogerKirk said:

It can be something that generation after generation watches. I think the biggest problem with it today is the low definition/low picture quality, meaning it doesn't always look great when watched. But re-make it and I'm pretty sure it could be a success again, in the same way they remake Scooby Doo pretty much every decade.
    The problem with that is that it is bad for the older generations. I prefer the old Scooby Doo cartoons compared to the new ones such as the Wrestlemania one and the other WWE tie-in.
    CCC said:
    RogerKirk said:

The problem with that is that it is bad for the older generations. I prefer the old Scooby Doo cartoons compared to the new ones such as the Wrestlemania one and the other WWE tie-in.
    While cartoon reboots and adaptations can be EXTREMELY divisive, in a lot of case they help keep the characters relevant generation after generation, and usually whether grown-ups care for the new versions or not, they don't in any way diminish their nostalgia for whichever version they grew up with. If anything, they get people thinking and talking more about what made the old series so special to them than they would if the franchises in question just faded into obscurity.

And anyhow, the weird wrestling crossovers aren't that much more out of left field than "The New Scooby-Doo Movies" series that teamed Scooby and the gang up with all kinds of random TV/movie characters and real-life celebrities.
    catwrangler
    Aanchir said:
    While cartoon reboots and adaptations can be EXTREMELY divisive, in a lot of case they help keep the characters relevant generation after generation, and usually whether grown-ups care for the new versions or not, they don't in any way diminish their nostalgia for whichever version they grew up with. If anything, they get people thinking and talking more about what made the old series so special to them than they would if the franchises in question just faded into obscurity.

And anyhow, the weird wrestling crossovers aren't that much more out of left field than "The New Scooby-Doo Movies" series that teamed Scooby and the gang up with all kinds of random TV/movie characters and real-life celebrities.
    Yep, it is like Star Wars, music, anything from popular culture that repeats. The one you grow up with is the "real" one. When things change, it feels weird.
    AanchirBaby_YodacatwranglerLostInTranslation
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 768
    Kevin Treehouse is his username. I think they generally read out the username on the videos. I thought it sounded really odd too, however.
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,228
    CCC said:
    The one you grow up with is the "real" one. When things change, it feels weird. 
    This. One day we're going to be talking about how great the 00's were and how Eminem's songs are real music and how humanity used to be so great but it's gone downhill since and life used to be so simple and now it's a struggle to get by etc... just like the generation before us, and the generation before them, and the generation before them...
    catwrangler
    Baby_Yoda said:
    CCC said:
    The one you grow up with is the "real" one. When things change, it feels weird. 
    This. One day we're going to be talking about how great the 00's were and how Eminem's songs are real music
    You might be, I won't :-)

But then I still cannot get over Pogo Patterson joining the real cast of Grange Hill.
    SumoLego
    omnium said:
    Kevin Treehouse is his username. I think they generally read out the username on the videos. I thought it sounded really odd too, however.
    It'll be more confusing when he designs a pillowfort, but doesn't change his username.

Pillowfort, designed by Kevin Treehouse!
    sid3windrcatwranglerdavetheoxygenmanBaby_YodaCM4S
    Baby_Yoda said:
    ...but it's gone downhill since and life used to be so simple and now it's a struggle to get by etc...
    People are generally the same.  It just feels like things are getting worse.  We tend to ignore the improvements that have happened over the same period of time.
    AanchircatwranglerBaby_Yodamak0137
    SumoLego said:
    Baby_Yoda said:
    ...but it's gone downhill since and life used to be so simple and now it's a struggle to get by etc...
    People are generally the same.  It just feels like things are getting worse.  We tend to ignore the improvements that have happened over the same period of time.
    Or even the ways that things have stayed the same. Such as the way people get mad about Hollywood doing too many remakes and adaptations, something Hollywood’s been doing for many decades and that has often been celebrated. Let’s be honest, how many people today even know or care about the pre-1930s versions of “The Wizard of Oz”, the 1932 version of “Scarface”, the 1920s versions of “Ben Hur” and “The Ten Commandments”?
    catwrangler
    ^ See you've ruined it!
    Muftak1Baby_Yoda
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 529
    Well, after reading a couple of reviews on the pop-up book, I'm sold on it. I hadn't thought that I was going to be all that interested in buying this one, but they really did an awesome job with it!
    gmonkey76
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 781
    edited October 2018
    It would appear that the Washington Square LEGO Store is going to be hosting a signing event for both of the Pop-Up Book fan designers. It's on the 27th of this month, so I imagine they'll be selling the sets early.
    Considering it's at my local store, I'm definitely going.
    stluxpxchrisLittleLoristarwars4ever
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,572
    I'm definitely excited for the Pop-Up book! It'll just be a decision between using VIP points for it or not. 
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 877
    After tomorrow's purchase of #75222 Betrayal At Cloud City, I'll have a total of $50 in VIP points towards the Pop-Up Book!
    Penkid11 said:
    It would appear that the Washington Square LEGO Store is going to be hosting a signing event for both of the Pop-Up Book fan designers. It's on the 27th of this month, so I imagine they'll be selling the sets early.
    Did you get an email about it? I don't see anything on it.
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 477
    Penkid11 said:
    It's also my local store! Where did you see this? I can't seem to find any info about it...
    @Penkid11 ; @starwars4ever ; - nice to see a couple other Oregonians on the forum BTW!
    Penkid11 said:
    It's also my local store! Where did you see this? I can't seem to find any info about it...
    I just got an email about the event!
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 781
    @pxchris @starwars4ever They posted the Facebook event after they announced the set. Though it seems emails are going out too.
    starwars4everpxchris
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 477
    @Penkid11 Thank you so much! Saw it on Facebook as well and I hope to go get it on the 27th!!!
    pxchris
  • InfinitymanInfinityman United StatesMember Posts: 108
    I see on shop.lego.com that the pop-up book is listed as "exclusive" - that seems a surprise, since other recent ideas sets could be had at various retailers!
    Astrobricks
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 737
    ^They probably start as an exclusive then other stores get them eventually.  I think this has happened with at least a few of the previous ideas sets
    Baby_YodaInfinitymanPate5346
  • Pate5346Pate5346 Member Posts: 759
    Usually start as exclusive for first two - three months. 
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 316
    Saturn V didnt 
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 737
    I'm sure TLG don't produce these Ideas sets in the same sort of quantities as the regular sets, so would want to avoid spreading stock so thin that nobody can get one.  Interesting that Saturn V was used as an example above as not being Brand Store Exclusive at launch, yet there were apparently supply issues with that initially if I remember correctly, at least online.

It makes sense to limited a fairly niche item to brand stores initially then roll out to wider selection when they gauge how popular it is.  It's a nice set, but it doesn't really have mass appeal in the same way the latest police/fire station or Star Wars set would with kids. 
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 424
    So, Steamboat Willy and Friends.

i like Friends, but not sure the set suits me.
    steamboat Willy is cool, but not for me. Actually do hope they scale it up a bit, so the fig fits the boat’s cabin...
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 252
    I am pretty disappointed at this result. It will be the first batch where l don't buy any Idea set. l hate Friends.
    thenosSteveG
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 316
    Thanks this will be money well saved Lego 
    I think we all knew that Steamboat Willy was coming, but I'm not sold on it myself. I'll hope that the final product tips my interest more.

Friends was a very, very interesting choice. I'll be quite interested to see what the final product ends up like. I thought that the Big Bang Theory diorama was a very odd choice too, but I actually really ended up liking that one a lot. And while I haven't watched Friends in quite a few years, I did watch it quite regularly back in the day. At the very least, I expect it to have quite a few great parts.
    gmonkey76
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 205
    I'm expecting Friends to be like the Big Bang Theory set - a good parts pack but nothing more. Hopefully it'll be something that can be nicely modded into a room of a custom modular or such like. But I'm also expecting it to be about the size of TBBT set and nothing like the submission - cue angry Friends fans slating Lego for not making it ridiculously over sized!
    sid3windr
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 561
    Friends is really big still, here in Europe as well. I'm very happy with this choice (I'm actually rewatching all episodes on Netflix atm), I really didn't think this set would make the cut. Looking forward to these two sets (and the treehouse). 
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,790
    Kind of a relief not to be tempted by anything this time round; I still haven't got round to buying the pop-up book!
    After seeing the Flintstones set, I wonder what 4 minifigures will be included in the Friends coffee shop.
    The Great Gazoo.  Maybe with a sound box that yells 'pivot!'.
    Baby_Yoda
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 113
    After seeing the Flintstones set, I wonder what 4 minifigures will be included in the Friends coffee shop.
    I get that it seemed obvious that the Flintstones set should have the kids and Dino, but if the Friends set doesn't have all 6, they'll be making a truly monumental mistake. Big Bang Theory had 7 minifigures. I expect 6 for Friends.
    MegtheCat
  • guachiguachi GeorgiaMember Posts: 14
    Wake me when Ideas has an original idea and not more licensed products.
    Bumblepantsmsandersmak0137
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 760
    I'm a millennial and I never got the hype around Friends. Only dabbled in a few episodes back in the day but never found it particularly hilarious. Although newer, I preferred How I Met your Mother. So the Lego set doesn't interest me. Steamboat Willie might do though - maybe make it a little bit bigger?