LEGO Ideas - Review Results

Comments

• Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,227
    Quick question-didn't the pizza restaurant/arcade reach 10k votes? Was it not eligible this time around for some reason? i know it wouldn't have been selected in all likelihood but i'm still curious to know its status.
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, it only recently hit the 10k and we'll have to wait another period or two for the verdict.
  • brianoblivionbrianoblivion NYCMember Posts: 71
    Yes, you're correct. It did just reach the 10k mark. Thanks for clarifying..
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,796

Perhaps they should slow the IDEAS factory down and make it an annual release, rather than churning out a new one every quarter or so?  Maybe it was just a weak grouping this time around, but aside from a pipe dream of a line of Fishing Village sets, nothing was particularly noteworthy to me.
    I hope they keep at one per quarter. If they approve 4 per year and you only like one out of every four sets, then it is one set per year to buy. If they go to approving one per year, then it is one set to buy every four years!
    stluxbgl_84FizyxAstrobrickssid3windr
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,468
    pharmjod said:
    This set should have a much larger appeal than the maze, also by Jason. That one was also excellent from a creativity perspective. His designs are really great examples of what can be done with LEGO when you really go in different directions. His kinetic approach is fascinating to me. I built his orrery a while back and the gear mechanism on it is incredible. Jason has shared so much with the LEGO community that it's nice to see him get recognition. I'm also happy for the designer he collaborated with.
    Are the instructions for the orrery posted somewhere? I would very much like to build that.
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 591
    When is Voltron coming???
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 590
    When is Voltron coming???

That's my question!!  Maybe they're holding it for a SDCC announcement/release?
    pharmjodFowlerBricks
  • amokamok Istanbul, TurkeyMember Posts: 35
    Today a website announced that Voltron was to be released on August 1st for 180 Euros, early access would be at and around SDCC.
    edited June 2018
    I was about to joke that maybe they're holding it as a SDCC exclusive set. At least it's only early access but... holy crap. That's, like, two whole weeks.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,086
    I wonder how upset this designer is. He's been doing the pop-up thing for a while and may have originated the idea.

https://ilikethesepixels.com/pop-up-lego/
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
    edited June 2018
    ecmo47 said:
    I wonder how upset this designer is. He's been doing the pop-up thing for a while and may have originated the idea.

I wondered that when I saw the popup book go to review. But I guess his ones are so different - they are much better but then the scale is massive and would never be produced. Plus if he didn't enter, then it is tough luck.
    pharmjodLyichirFizyx
    ecmo47 said:

I’d think he’s too busy being crazy brilliant to care!
    graphiteMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,569
    I have had an eye on this project for a long time. I'm excited to see what the finished product will be and will definitely pick one up. 
    Fizyx
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 986
    ecmo47 said:

I’d think he’s too busy being crazy brilliant to care!
     That's funny, the other day when @ecmo47  posted that link (thanks BTW - I was unfamiliar), I walked away after watching it a few times (to confirm EXACTLY what I was watching & if it was as impressive mechanically and artistically as it seemed) and came to the EXACT same conclusion!  Those whose brains work like that aren't concerned with silly emotions like greed and jealousy that we mere humans are forced to endure.
    AstrobricksBaby_Yodaecmo47
    ^ On the other hand, he's just really mature and doesn't complain that everyone steals his ideas etc. on online forums...
    Bumblepants
    ^"You guys! Lego IDEAS stole my idea for making a popular ship/character/thing from an IP they already had rights to!"
    "!and were already working on with the guy whose initial submission included the same thing you let me submit and get votes for"
     All jokes aside,  the GBHQ debacle was TLG's fault entirely for allowing the second set to be voted on in the first place.
      The Ideas pop up book and release of HCA creative personalities by TLG is an entirely different situation and I personally think it's great to see TLG seeing the value in a previously unexplored direction and capitalising on it.
    I think were going to see a lot more of this style of building as a result and it's already got a lot of people thinking more about the 'fluidity' (not sure that's the right word)? Of the brick as a construction medium!
    pharmjoddougts
  • UmandraugUmandraug Doomstadt, LatveriaMember Posts: 69
    There could also be a bit of a “If it exists, there’s already a LEGO MOC of it” situation, leaving us to a doomed spiral of nobody having any original ideas, where we just remake the same things over and over...

Or, great minds think alike, to use a more positive cliche.
    catwrangler
    If you're talking about those that think their generic ideas are original, I think the phrase you want is "fools never differ".
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 311
    It reminds me of the movie Inception and the idea of original thought; can anyone's Idea creation really be considered original?
    LittleLori
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,917
    Skinny blue cat people riding dragons is definitely the original idea of James Cameron.
    Muftak1Baby_Yoda
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,876
    SumoLego said:
    Skinny blue cat people riding dragons is definitely the original idea of James Cameron.
    But the story is Fern Gully, so not all that original ;)
    SumoLego
    I didn't think there was a story.
    pharmjod
  • UmandraugUmandraug Doomstadt, LatveriaMember Posts: 69
    SumoLego said:
    Although, using fiction as a loose allegory of Manifest Destiny isn’t.
    SumoLego
    I just want to be clear - the story, allegory, nature, Fern Gully, etc. - is not what I meant.

I literally meant that I have never heard anywhere else, in any historial text or modern work - that someone thought of nine foot tall skinny blue catpeople riding dragons.
    Gibbo1959
    Is this close enough?
    BumblepantsBaby_YodaMegtheCatSumoLegoFowlerBricksbandit778sklamb
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,826
    @CCC Better even!
    SumoLego said:
    I just want to be clear - the story, allegory, nature, Fern Gully, etc. - is not what I meant.

I literally meant that I have never heard anywhere else, in any historial text or modern work - that someone thought of nine foot tall skinny blue catpeople riding dragons.
    You've never read my dream diaries...
    Switchfoot55
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,701
    SumoLego said:

The look of the Na'vi – the humanoids indigenous to Pandora – was inspired by a dream that Cameron's mother had, long before he started work on Avatar. In her dream, she saw a blue-skinned woman 12 feet (4 m) tall, which he thought was "kind of a cool image".[68] Also he said, "I just like blue. It's a good color ... plus, there's a connection to the Hindu deities,[71] which I like conceptually."[72] He included similar creatures in his first screenplay (written in 1976 or 1977), which featured a planet with a native population of "gorgeous" tall blue aliens. The Na'vi were based on them.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRASumoLego
    So @sumolego hasn't been reading my dream diary but it sure as hell sounds like James Camerons' mum has!
    SMCAstrobricksSumoLegoAanchir
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 591
    How the hell does this forum not have a separate Voltron thread?  I'd do it myself, but I've either forgotten how to start new topics, or I lost privileges...

This set looks amazing!  Definitely buying 2.
    Bumblepantsricecake
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,000
    I know nothing about Voltron. That is one of the worst Logos I think I've seen in a long while. The box graphics are horrible. I wasn't even remotely looking at this set, but it's on my wants list now, purely for parts... never going to happen but I'd like two too!
    omnium
    edited June 2018
    ^Quick synopsis based on childhood memories: Big bad guy gets confronted by the 5 lions. They aren't strong enough to win. They form Voltron and defeat big bad guy. Never do they realize it would be much quicker to just form Voltron and kick butt from the get-go. edit: I also remember thinking it was awesome at the time.
    Mr_CrossAstrobricksBobflip
    How the hell does this forum not have a separate Voltron thread?  I'd do it myself, but I've either forgotten how to start new topics, or I lost privileges...

This set looks amazing!  Definitely buying 2.
    Here you go, just for you!

https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/28794/voltron-21311#latest

monstblitz
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 590
    ^Quick synopsis based on childhood memories: Big bad guy gets confronted by the 5 lions. They aren't strong enough to win. They form Voltron and defeat big bad guy. Never do they realize it would be much quicker to just form Voltron and kick butt from the get-go. edit: I also remember thinking it was awesome at the time.
    Rinse and repeat...but it's still awesome every time!!!!
    SMC said:
    ...in her dream, she saw a blue-skinned woman 12 feet (4 m) tall, which he thought was "kind of a cool image"...
    Or... he was trippin' fantastic on acid in '70's.  Right before he dreamt up a time-travelling murderbot, and underwater alien jellyfish.
    dmcc0
  • Wookie2Wookie2 Leeds, UKMember Posts: 184
    edited October 2018
    Anyone else really looking forward to the The Flintstones set which has got approval? The other set which has been approved is the Treehouse set:

wardmBaby_Yodadatsunrobbie
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 559
    Yeah, I'm very happy with both! I think the Flintstones will provide a nice new licence and I bet the treehouse will look amazing once the final product will be released! 
    I look forward to putting it next to the Scooby-Doo display case in my office.
    Wookie2wardmgmonkey76
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 529
    I'm really looking forward to the Flintstones set!
    SumoLego
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 759
    The Dimensions Flintstones and Jetsons were too much of a tease - so glad we're getting Flintstones, although I doubt the house will be as big and detailed as it is in the submission. Still, most of the rest is really viable to keep!
    SumoLegogmonkey76
    ...I doubt the house will be as big and detailed as it is in the submission...
    The Fishing Store and Saturn 5 were pretty big sets, so who knows how detailed they'll go.  Imagine if it was almost modular scale!
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 236
    The Dimensions Flintstones and Jetsons were too much of a tease - so glad we're getting Flintstones, although I doubt the house will be as big and detailed as it is in the submission. Still, most of the rest is really viable to keep!
    Wait, when did we get either of this as dimension sets?
    I'm very very excited for the treehouse. Everyone said it wouldn't pass review, but I showed them, didn't I?!
    On one hand I am glad they approved something creative that isn't tied to an IP. On the other hand, I have no interest in spending $100+ on a treehouse.
    On one hand I am glad they approved something creative that isn't tied to an IP. On the other hand, I have no interest in spending $100+ on a treehouse.
    I will be interesting to see if they go down the route of doing the set similar in scale as the origialdesign, or paring it back by cutting the number of rooms or the scale.
    CCC said:
    I will be interesting to see if they go down the route of doing the set similar in scale as the origialdesign, or paring it back by cutting the number of rooms or the scale.
    the video explicitly mentioned the number of rooms etc so I doubt they would do that knowing they will scale it down.
    I like the treehouse, but find it hard to believe they won’t scale it back. Don’t care about Flintstones. Really bummed they didn’t pick the SR-71.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    Can't believe the video not only named the Treehouse as being created by Kevin Treehouse but also written that way when the creator's last name is really Feeser. 
    Baby_Yoda