Collecting certain parts only

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,446
    VorpalRyu said:
    My end goal for monochrome minifigures looks something like this:

Along with extra minifigures in selected colours, will be interesting to see how close I end up getting.
    That's a very nice digital image, but unfortunately that's all it'll ever be.

You have 90 different colours of minifigs there (with none of them 'transparent'). By my reckoning at least 28 of them have never had any minifig parts at all, with a total of 76 colours (not necessarily those in your picture) having at least one part (including 14 transparent).

The head is available in 60 colours.
    The torso is available in 60 colours (not all the same).
    The left arm is available in 63 colours.
    The right arm is available in 62 colours (Trans-Light Blue being the missing one).
    The hands are available in 49 colours.
    The hips are available in 59 colours.
    The left leg is available in 58 colours.
    The right leg is available in 59 colours (Trans-Neon Green being the extra one).

Combine them all and you have a total (I believe) of 41 colours which can be completed. Of those, only 4 are retired colours (or 3 if you class Chrome Gold as still current), with the rest of them being current colours.

That means that of the 35 colours which have at least one part but are not currently able to be completed, 13 are retired colours, with the remaining 22 being current (breaking down to 5 'normal' colours, 2 'pearl' colours, 1 'glow in the dark' colour and 14 'transparent' colours).
    VorpalRyuMynattMr_Crosspxchrissid3windrSteveGFizyx
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,248
    ^ I know that unless I get lucky & find individuals with not officially released parts, I'm not going to manage a good selection of the ones there. My hope is to at least get all the 2x2 tiles (which I've been told is possible as TLG uses them internally as colour charts), so I can show what monochromes are & aren't possible.

Not looking to do translucent monochromes unless TLG suddenly decides to release the needed parts for them, so again 2x2 tiles will be the extent of that. As we both know, unless TLG manages to come up with a new formula for translucent parts, it's unlikely they ever will fill that void.
    PaperballparkBaby_Yoda
    To be clear, the 41 which are currently able to be completed do include a few parts (e.g. Light Flesh hips) which have not been officially released in sets, but which are still Lego.

I think the holy grail of monochrome minifigs is a Trans-Clear one, but as you say, that will almost certainly never happen with official Lego parts.
    VorpalRyumadforLEGO
  • elspankdogelspankdog TexasMember Posts: 403
    ^ Maybe it's just the angle, but is the curve of the tail less curvy than the other four?
    It's a little different
    Switchfoot55
  • elspankdogelspankdog TexasMember Posts: 403
    @Paperballpark Those mono-figs are awesome! Almost there. :-)

I've recently been semi-collecting plant parts and other rock / jewel parts, but I don't think I'm ever going to get close to completing any of those "sets".

I'll post a pic or two at some point though, partly to see for myself how well / badly I'm doing.

I finally managed to head over to the Stratford Lego Store and picked up #70841 Benny's Space Squad, so I think a quick get-together of a selection of Classic Space figs might also be in order.

I think I've got all the colours, before they went over-complicated in 1987:

White (Classic & versions from #5002812 & #70841)
    Red (Classic)
    Yellow (Classic & version from #70841)
    Blue (Classic & Benny)
    Black (Classic)
    Green (From #21109)
    Pink (From #70841)

You can do a light bluish gray using the torso from the CMF rocket boy

mak0137andheJudgeChuck
    I'm making a concession with flat silver & pearl dark grey, as hands for these don't exist at this time, I'll be using LBG hands for flat silver & DBG hands for PDG, as it seems to be standard when TLG wants the hands to "match" the arms (which reminds me, have to get Erin to finish wiping the torsos we haven't done yet).
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,214

I think the holy grail of monochrome minifigs is a Trans-Clear one, but as you say, that will almost certainly never happen with official Lego parts.
    I have seen a completely trans clear fig in the hands of a LEGO employee, so I believe they have been cast, but I don’t think the parts have ever made it into the wild like some other  non standard parts. 
    ^ I remember seeing someone posting about a translucent clear minifig they were trying to acquire, I may be mistaken, but if remember it correctly, it was @samiam391.
    gmonkey76SeijiAmasawa
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 546
    @Paperballpark yes I have a solution that satisfies me for now as I use white minifig body parts to complete the ‘incomplete’ colours and it still looks good on display!!
    PaperballparkLittleLoriFizyx
    DeMontes said:
    @Paperballpark yes I have a solution that satisfies me for now as I use white minifig body parts to complete the ‘incomplete’ colours and it still looks good on display!!
    😂 I do exactly the same!
    DeMontes
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,306
    They are indeed gorgeous.
    Don't care about the rest, I'd just want the tr-blue, tr-med blue & tr-green ones, my three favourite translucent colours. If anyone comes across a copper monochrome....DIBS!
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 322
    You can do a light bluish gray using the torso from the CMF rocket boy

This isn't quite so straightforward: The classic space style helmet hasn't been recast in Medium Stone Gray yet, and the Old Light Gray helmet will clash severely with the LBG torso. However, the modern helmet has only been made in LBG in a single minifigure (Series 9 Heroic Knight), so it's not common in the wild. Unfortunately, the air tanks accessory hasn't ever been made in LBG (I couldn't believe it) so Old Light Gray is your only option. If you have your CS Spacemen displayed facing forward you'll only see the neck band part of the tank. I'll post pics once my BL order with the old light gray airtanks arrives in the next day or two. 

I'm making a display case with my CS and Futuron astronauts which will be done once my Benny's Space Squad arrives.  Hopefully we will see the CS style helmet cast in other colors - they have the mould and the logo stamp again, so hopefully they will. My green CS astronaut from Exo-Suit doesn't look quite right next to his compatriots with the modern helmet. I do love that we have a green Futuron astronaut from #60097 City Square to accompany him.

I was trying to decide which is a greater love letter to the fans: Benny's Space Squad, or the end scene from Rogue One where it's Vader being Vader; totally unexpected scene that didn't need to be included, but the ending is so much more awesome for it. 
    pxchris
    I'm not generally someone who gets jealous, but those transparent minifigs... Shame the blue ones don't have transparent hands though.
    VorpalRyuAstrobricksSprinkleOtterFizyx
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    I'm not generally someone who gets jealous, but those transparent minifigs... Shame the blue ones don't have transparent hands though.
    Yes, it is a shame.

Someone once suggested I buy some custom translucent hands from AliExpress *barf*
    VorpalRyuSumoLegoBaby_YodaMr_CrossSprinkleOtterFizyx
    samiam391 said:
    Yes, it is a shame.

Someone once suggested I buy some custom translucent hands from AliExpress *barf*
    WHAT THE FRAK?!? Really? Clearly not an AFOL... Can't imagine doing something like that, why would someone want to defile Lego like that.

Meanwhile, just ordered all the parts for four light flesh monochromes on BrickLink, thanks again @Paperballpark for the heads up with that.
    SprinkleOtter
    edited February 9
    I've just bought a new CMF specifically for the new Vibrant Coral torso and hips! I will need to scrub the printing off them though.

edited February 9
    I've just bought a new CMF specifically for the new Vibrant Coral torso and hips! I will need to scrub the printing off them though.
    Curious to know what method you're using. We're currently using orange essential oil, it's been the best method so far for us.
    catwrangler
    I don't know, I've never scrubbed printing off a part before! I'll be experimenting with a part I'm not too bothered about first...
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,306
    I've just wiped my first piece - one side of a Parademon head to finish off this flame yellow dude. Nail Polish remover. Not 100% perfect but will do for my purposes for now.

Paperballparkcatwranglersnowhitie
    I don't know, I've never scrubbed printing off a part before! I'll be experimenting with a part I'm not too bothered about first...
    @xiahna (aka my beautiful wife, Erin) suggested we could try orange essential oil, after I attempted nail polish remover with disastrous results. It takes a fair bit of effort, but we haven't had any discolouration, even on pearlescent coloured parts. I was considering brasso at one point, but brasso here seems to have a different formulation over here & some of the results I've seen seem to be slightly yellowed.

@Shib, I'd blame Paperballpark too, but I was already looking at monochromes before I even joined Brickset...
    ShibBaby_Yodasnowhitie
    ^ Thanks! Any other suggestions for removing printing would be gratefully received!
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 328
    I have had good results rubbing off printing with a pencil eraser. 
    VorpalRyu
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 546
    The Trans light blue could have two pirate hooks I suppose 😜
    VorpalRyudmcc0Baby_YodaSprinkleOtterpharmjodFizyx
    But then it wouldn't be the same as the rest! 
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,095
    edited February 10
    @Recce Great collection! I've ordered a second CMF Rocket Boy & a Heroic Knight to make the LBG version.

It's difficult to tell from your picture, but from what I've read above the air tanks are in old Light Grey. Is that correct?

Also, what's the simplest way of getting the legs in LBG?
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    The legs are in a hundred or so different figures, so find a spare figure, buy one of those or bricklink the legs separately.  If you’ve got the heroic knight on order, could always wipe the legs and hey presto!
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 893
    @Recce Great collection! I've ordered a second CMF Rocket Boy & a Heroic Knight to make the LBG version.

It's difficult to tell from your picture, but from what I've read above the air tanks are in old Light Grey. Is that correct?

Also, what's the simplest way of getting the legs in LBG?
    Yes, air tanks are old light grey. LBG legs are plenty in other minifigures, no wiping needed. 
  • SteveGSteveG TNMember Posts: 23
    Like I really need something else to try to collect (must get wife out of my head.....) but, what are the easiest monochrome colors to get started with? In general? I'm about to turn my RV living, flea market loving, always on the move, dad loose on a cross country Lego quest ;)

560Heliport
    The common colours are easiest - white, black, reddish brown, red, light bluish grey, dark bluish grey, and now pearl gold with it being fully in a city set.
    SumoLegoPeteM
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,468
    ^ I don’t know.... I don’t see chrome gold or chrome red hands ;)
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 91
    @Astrobricks - He has them stashed in another display case that he only shows to true connoisseurs!
    Cymbeline said:
    @Astrobricks - He has them stashed in another display case that he only shows to true connoisseurs!
    And what are we? Chopped liver!?
    SprinkleOtter
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 91
    Just another canapé in the banquet of life...
    SprinkleOtter
    ^ I don’t know.... I don’t see chrome gold or chrome red hands ;)
    Chrome Red hands have never been made. Chrome Gold hands have, but are exceedingly rare. Given that there's 42 spaces in my case and only 41 completeable (inc Chrome Gold), I can live with two chrome ones with non-chrome hands for now.
    VorpalRyumak0137MrJacksonSumoLegoSprinkleOtterFizyx
  • Brixfan02Brixfan02 USAMember Posts: 162
    this might as well be renamed "the monochrome figure collecting thread"
    SteveGVorpalRyuSumoLegoSprinkleOtter
    ^ Don’t forget bicycles and cats :)
    VorpalRyuSumoLegoSprinkleOtterBrixfan02CurvedRoadPlate
    ^ or gems & rocks/crystals.
    AstrobricksSumoLegoSprinkleOtter
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,907
    ^ Certain parts only.
    sid3windrVorpalRyuSprinkleOtterBaby_Yoda
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,822
    DeMontes said:
    Or SAUSAGES

Why does the sand green one still look tasty?! I may have a problem
    gmonkey76
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,443
    ^May? I did order the yellow and green one just so I could have them in for a hot stand/butcher shop moc I how to make.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    ^ The SDCC Unikitty.
    LEGOFan2Baby_YodaAanchir