Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Collecting certain parts only

Comments

• JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    Just out of curiosity, where do the blue and med-blue appear? BL doesn't seem to show they ever came out in sets. 

I'm still cutting teeth in this whole AFOL deal, so bare with me if that's a dumb question!
    It's not dumb at all (I hope! I asked the same question ;-) ). We discussed this above and the consensus is that they are test parts and never were in any sets.
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,377
    ^ Thanks for the reassurance of my question asking!

I assume that goes for some of the other rare colors too then? Interesting. I guess I won't be feverishly watching second hand stores for them then!
    Pretty much, I think.

There are some coloured parts that are rare because they only appeared in one or two sets years ago. The lighter of the two yellow bicycles is a good example of this, as it only appeared in #6420.

The really, really rare coloured parts are all likely to be test parts.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,186
    @Switchfoot55, some parts can turn up in colours not released in any sets, particularly some European Bricklink sellers seem to have great luck in scoring these parts. Because of the rarity, expect to pay a bit more than for the usual part in standard colours, though some times you can get lucky & sellers will only be asking marginally more...
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 458
    I think I'm wondering more about the details of how. I've seen a few people say 'oh they "find their way out" of the factories, but you also get the impression that TLC are really on it with their security. Does someone just stick a few in their pocket, knowingly risking their job, and LEGO say "Oh, the trans-red bike count is down 5 today? Nothing unusual about that!"
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,182

Of the three rare, but not ultra-rare (Blue, Medium Blue, Light Pink, Pink, Bright Light Blue and Transparent Red) ones, the Black and Dark Pink ones are relatively cheap (I picked them up for €3.50 and €4.98, both used but in very good condition), but the Yellow one is fairly expensive, as ones in good condition go for £12+. I found one in great condition for €13.50, which is pretty good, I think, given the range of prices on BL.
    Got red, yellow/orange and medium azure. Green, black, pink and white are all cheap enough. I've found a yellow one, complete in its set for £4, Taken a punt as the photo shows it to be mint. Lets wait and see!
    JudgeChuckkiki180703
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,186
    @Bobflip, I think they do allow some to end up with these sellers, I know at least the rare part I needed for my version of Green Goblin's glider, 2x2 Trapezoid Flag in LBG got to the seller I bought them off by legitimate means. I suspect some of these parts end up in PAB walls of Lego store in that neck of the woods.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,233
    AllBrick said:
    Ahem...

Brickbank has purple gems....but I don't think there is such a thing as a 2x9 white plate :(
    I have a trans neon green gem in ninja surprise. yeah, it's an old set from when gems first appeared.
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 489
    edited December 2016
    Ooops one flew back home after a trip to the 'must be sorted at some point' box...ahem....

Seven LEGO Birds

Red, Medium Green, Dark Grey, Yellow, Medium Blue, DBG, Pink.

Brown and Black are still in flight somewhere....
    VorpalRyuLegogramstluxJudgeChuckcatwranglerAllBrickbandit778asrfarinha
    didn't know about a medium green color, from where does it come?
    edited December 2016
    @Fauchit It's a retired Belville colour. 'Colour King' Ryan Howerter explains here: https://flic.kr/p/owvgi9

Fauch
    "I will not start collecting parrots, I will not start collecting parrots..."

;-)

@DeMontes Make sure you show us the full collection when Brown and Black turn up!

:-)
    catwranglerstlux
    you WILL collect parrots because they look soooo pretty ;-)
    AllBrick
    DeMontes said:
    you WILL collect parrots because they look soooo pretty ;-)
    Hehe.

You haven't got the multi-coloured one in your collection, so best sort that out quick! ;-)

http://brickset.com/parts/4540070
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,555
    I bought a ton of somewhat reasonably priced Medium Green parts when I found out that was a thing a few months ago. My med green pharmacy will go great next to my sand red apt. I really like obscure colors.
    LostInTranslation
    @JudgeChuck ; haha, I class the multicoloured ones as 'messy' and did not want to add them to the monochrome collection ;-)
    Legogramnorm103
    there are quite a lot of obscure colors. at least to me.
    DeMontes said:
    @JudgeChuck ; haha, I class the multicoloured ones as 'messy' and did not want to add them to the monochrome collection ;-)
    Fair enough, but I quite like the multi-coloured one... It looks just that little bit more "real parrot"-ish to me... :-)
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 180
    Got tangled in an endless quote which I can't remove.  Only way to clear this is to post. Sorry!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,555
    Got tangled in an endless quote which I can't remove.  Only way to clear this is to post. Sorry!
    Backspace everything then click on the quote button again and it should go away. 
    dutchlegofan50
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    DeMontes said:
    Fair enough, but I quite like the multi-coloured one... It looks just that little bit more "real parrot"-ish to me... :-)
    More so than this one?

sid3windrJudgeChuck
    edited December 2016
    Strictly speaking LEGO calls them Birds not parrots...the blue and yellow in the new Modular Assembly Square is on my list...
    AllBrick
    @steinbrique my black bird arrived today...I've completed the monochrome birds yay
    steinbrique
    AllBrick said:
    DeMontes said:
    More so than this one?

That's a nice one as well. :-)
    AllBrick
    edited December 2016
    The colours wanted list for the bird on BL is fun. Just imagine.

Quite gutted that the new colour bird in assembly square is actually a redesign.
  • BigOnBricksBigOnBricks Member Posts: 22
    I am sorry I found this thread!! :)  I love the idea of some of these collections especially the 2x4 brick and bicycles.  I just placed a big order to get me started on both. 
    BumblepantsMooreFXDeMontesstluxmithridate
    Don't be sorry @BigOnBricks it's an infectious disease haha!
    All the birds..
    steinbriqueAllBrickdavetheoxygenmanBumblepantsstluxandheMynattmithridate
    Anyone for some salmon ice cream, new flavour
    AllBrickcatwranglerdavetheoxygenmanBumblepantsstlux
    edited January 2017
    Hairbrushes...

catwranglerdavetheoxygenmanAllBrickBumblepantsstluxRainstorm26MooreFXMynattmithridate
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,893
    How long before someone collects Batman cowls due to all the new colours?
    mampepingmonkey76DeMontestallblocktooDoctorMcGannmithridate
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,377
    @DeMontes I love your collections. It inspires me to want to do the same...though my wife may not be too pleased with it. I think they're fun, simple, yet beautiful collections!
    AllBrickDeMontesmithridate
  • The_Mad_VulcanThe_Mad_Vulcan SeattleMember Posts: 162
    DeMontes said:
    Megaphones or old school space ray guns...

Not sure which surprised me more: the existence of a salmon colored ray gun, or the lack of a green one. 
    catwrangler
    edited January 2017
    Ooo green would be nice.
    edited January 2017
    @DeMontes I love your collections. It inspires me to want to do the same...though my wife may not be too pleased with it. I think they're fun, simple, yet beautiful collections!
    I'm sure your wife won't mind too much, they take no space and, like you said, fun, simple and beautiful. 
    Problem is, they're easy to start and hard to finish. 
    Then there is finding the time to gather everything together and photograph them. I still need to post pics of my bicycle collection and others, just not enough hours in a day.

@DeMontes - You seem to be taking things to another level, my brain hurts.
    mithridate
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,056
    edited January 2017
    DeMontes said:

Not sure which surprised me more: the existence of a salmon colored ray gun, or the lack of a green one. 
    I really thought #7595 had one but apparently not, every possible army themed accessory but the megaphone in green!
    AllBrick said:
    @DeMontes - You seem to be taking things to another level, my brain hurts.
    I've just been doing a little sorting of my unsorted box(es) and thought I'd take a quick photo as i think the lineups are pretty haha!
    AllBrick
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,651
    DeMontes said:

It appears it does, but just as an unrelased or prototype colour (hence the price).

http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4349&name=Minifig, Utensil Loudhailer / Megaphone / SW Blaster&category=[Minifig, Utensil]#T=C

Tan and brown as well. I was imagining the the green would have been in the toy story army men set.

DeMontes
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,710
    DeMontes said:

You missed the Simpsons one...
    @SprinkleOtterwell strictly speaking I omitted it as it is not monochrome but lbg and orange. I have it but I chose not to add it to my line up :-)
    andhesid3windrVorpalRyuThe_Mad_VulcanSprinkleOtter
    @SprinkleOtter I missed the brown one ;-)
    LEGO monochrome megaphones or are they Rayguns?
    SprinkleOttercatwranglerDoctorMcGannMynatt
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 458
    Ok, looks great, but the black one pointing in the other direction is bothering my pop-OCD tendencies!
    DeMontesMynatt
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,264
    MattsWhat said:
    @JudgeChuck @SprinkleOtter @AllBrick
    It looks like the yellow flag is just older than all the others.  Bright yellow flags have only appeared in two sets since 2010 - hogwarts castle game #3862 being the obvious one to see this - and these flags are the same as all the other in the line-up above.  Earlier yellow flags go the other way, and it appears all flags from pre 2010 go the other way, look at this picture for example, the red and yellow flags are the same way (the reverse of the now standard direction):

Odd then that only the bright yellow and bright blue get two part numbers (there might be others but...).

Both these sets contain 449521, although the parts are quite clearly different.
    Fun fact (I guess) I actually own a flipped version of that flag. Was that in sets? If it was then oops, but I own two kinds of that flag mold.