Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Collecting certain parts only

Comments

• mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 830
    I'm loving this thread!  So much more to Lego than just collecting sets. 
    AllBrickcatwranglersnowhitieKingAlanI
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    mr_benn said:
    That's what makes it so dangerous.
    catwranglermadforLEGOchuckpbandit778GothamConstructionCored5GreenArrow57mithridate
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,190
    edited April 2016
    AllBrick said:
    mr_benn said:
    That's what makes it so dangerous.
    ....and expensive
    chuckpAllBrick
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Recce said:
    And Spaceman!

*shortened*
    This is awesome, but the modern helmet on the blue guy is upsetting me for some reason.
    Oldfan
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    ^^ I think the blue guy should be a laughing benny, just to mix it up a bit.
    catwranglerLordmoralmithridate
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 879
    MattsWhat said:
    Recce said:
    And Spaceman!

*shortened*
    This is awesome, but the modern helmet on the blue guy is upsetting me for some reason.
    I do have the original blue helmet of the 80s, but the green one will still be the modern version so can never have all of them of the same original design.

Unless I change them to the modern motorbike helmet which I think had all the 6 colours.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,185
    @Recce, yes all six are available on BrickLink, as there has been re-issues of all the original colours, plus there's also the Futuron, Space Police & Blacktron that were released with the updated helmet. I was planning to grab a few helmets for my original space men & also grab some of the re-issued figures...
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    This thread just gets better and better! :D Now I'm itching to go through mine to see what I have collections of - if only we weren't in the middle of a major house reorganisation!!
    pharmjod
    VorpalRyu said:
    @Recce, yes all six are available on BrickLink, as there has been re-issues of all the original colours, plus there's also the Futuron, Space Police & Blacktron that were released with the updated helmet. I was planning to grab a few helmets for my original space men & also grab some of the re-issued figures...
    I've got the Futuron figures.

After scanning through Rebrickable noticed that most of the rare coloured Helmets are used as knights headgear, and I realized I've got quite a few of them :)

catwranglerAllBricktallblocktoo77ncaachampsmithridate
    I've got such a soft spot for that yellow Futuron spaceman; he was my first ever Space minifig. :)
    Recce
    I've got such a soft spot for that yellow Futuron spaceman; he was my first ever Space minifig. :)
    For me, my first ever Lego was below set with the red spaceman bought in 1980.

catwranglerGothamConstructionCotallblocktootecjamYodaliciousMr_Crossred5JudgeChuck
    #885, one of my first Space sets, got that along with #886 & #891 for my fifth birthday. Probably why I have a love of Trans-Green & Trans-Dark Blue parts, also why I love the Series 15 CMF Astronaut figure (I did grab more than ten of them for my collection).
    catwranglerchuckp
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    @VorpalRyu, surely you mean Trans-Yellow, which would be more appropriate for the vintage of those sets? :-)
    It's Trans-Yellow all the way for me! :-)
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    @VorpalRyu, surely you mean Trans-Yellow, which would be more appropriate for the vintage of those sets?
    Tr. Blue was introduced a year before #885, #886 & #891 were produced. Tr. Red, Tr. Green and Tr. Yellow had been around for about ten years by then. All of them would've been "appropriate" at the time.
    TigerMoth said:
    @VorpalRyu, surely you mean Trans-Yellow, which would be more appropriate for the vintage of those sets?
    Tr. Blue was introduced a year before #885, #886 & #891 were produced. Tr. Red, Tr. Green and Tr. Yellow had been around for about ten years by then. All of them would've been "appropriate" at the time.
    I'm sure the colours were available, but they weren't included in any Classic Space sets until 1980, with #6841, #6861 and #6901, apart from the 1x1 trans-green cylinders used as attachments to the "ray gun" / satellite dish.
    Semantics, admittedly, but I would associate Trans-Yellow with those sets, rather than the others... ;-)
    @JudgeChuck, #886 & #891 had Trans-Green round bricks, #885 had Trans-Dark Blue round bricks, not sure what year they came out locally (my fifth birthday was in 1981), but BrickLink has their year of release as 1979.
    VorpalRyu said:
    @JudgeChuck, #886 & #891 had Trans-Green round bricks, #885 had Trans-Dark Blue round bricks, not sure what year they came out locally (my fifth birthday was in 1981), but BrickLink has their year of release as 1979.
    True, but they're very peripheral parts in the sets, not structural ship / building parts. There's also use of Trans-Red for lights on many sets and Black and White for other elements.
    I do get your point, but I'd simply associate Trans-Yellow, Blue & Light Gray with sets of that vintage, due to the amount of windscreens, windows and roofs in T-Y and predominant ship and building structures in LG and B.

Anyway, I'm just being pedantic! ;-)
    @JudgeChuck, for me, classic Space is those colours, plus white & trans-dark blue as we started getting stuff like #6890, #6929 & #6927 not long after I started getting Space Lego (6890 is one of my personal favourites, along with 891). I don't know why, but for some reason, out of all the translucent colours, trans-green & trans-dark blue became my favourites right from the point I got sets with elements in those colours.

I personally would love to have a few 4L bars in trans-green with a couple of Lightsaber hilts & 1L bars with side studs in copper (another colour I love, but not just in Lego) for my SW MOC I have planned.
    chuckp
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,554
    andhe said:

And seem to have ended up with a large collection of Chefs (unintentionally) and Wizards (intentionally)..

Auughhh!! I thought I had a complete wizards collection but didn't think to add in the alternate colors from Harry Potter... That might be expensive but it looks so cool. Off to Bricklink now...
    andhe
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    dat wizard collection is BOSS
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    for me:   pizza, money, sausages and an odd hairpiece, which i dont have a torso for!

catwrangler
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Reece, Looks like you have way too much time and money on your hands! Love your photos BTW! These are so colorful and fun to gaze at; please keep them coming!
    tallblocktoo
    DeMontes said:
    I collect HEADS....but not in a macabre way.

DeMontes said:

DeMontes said:

DeMontes said:

Wouldn't this make fantastic wallpaper, placemats, plate decorations, Christmas tree ornament strings, paint sample strips, flower planter designs with colors to match real heads, ... Where did you find a solid lime green head or is it printed and merely turned away? (Please PM me!!!) When I can't find a plain one, a printed head turned around works, but then I am not OCD, thank god!
    Guilty: Add brick-built pianos and Friends mini-dolls to the collections list. Afraid to contemplate what other "collections" are hiding in various containers. (There are some LEGO that Hubby does not need to see.)
    catwrangler
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,650
    legogal said:
    Wouldn't this make fantastic wallpaper, placemats, plate decorations, Christmas tree ornament strings, paint sample strips, flower planter designs with colors to match real heads, ... Where did you find a solid lime green head or is it printed and merely turned away? (Please PM me!!!) When I can't find a plain one, a printed head turned around works, but then I am not OCD, thank god!
    http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=3626c&name=Minifig, Head (Plain) - Stud Recessed&category=[Minifig, Head]#T=S&C=34&O={%22color%22:34}

• aldreddaldredd United KingdomMember Posts: 203
    Wow, I suddenly feel very dull, as I have no such collections!

That said, I do get a little excited when I come across a technics axle in non-standard colour (black for odd L, LBG for even L, Red for 3L)

Perhaps that'll be my thing - non-standard technics axles. #NeverADullMomentWhenImAround
    VorpalRyucatwranglerNeilCrosbyMattsWhatBumblepantstallblocktooDeMontes
    ^isn't red standard for 2L? Well red and black.
    3L is black isn't it?  Have I just messed up your collection?
  • aldreddaldredd United KingdomMember Posts: 203
    yep, I got the 2l & 3l mixed up, but didn't realise until after I'd ran out of edit time :)

Excitingly, It looks like Axle 4l in Earth Orange is going the be THE one to get - only available in 1 set (original Sopwith Camel)
    andhe
    edited April 2016
    ^Pics or it didn't happen.
    Plus, I want to see an awesome display stand. With a brick built axle.
    aldredd
    MattsWhat said:
    3L is black isn't it?
    Not these days, although it used to be common many years ago. Generally even length are black; odd length are medium stone grey. However, there are plenty of exceptions and quite a few one-offs.

I imagine the hardest axles to find are the threaded ones.
    How common are the milky white technics axles? Somewhere amongst my old sets I know I had one, 4L if I remember rightly, issue is according to all the info I can get on my set, none have one in inventory for those sets.
    VorpalRyu said:
    How common are the milky white technics axles? Somewhere amongst my old sets I know I had one, 4L if I remember rightly, issue is according to all the info I can get on my set, none have one in inventory for those sets.
    They were originally (in the 1970s) all (?) that colour - before Technics.
    legogal said:
    Reece, Looks like you have way too much time and money on your hands! Love your photos BTW! These are so colorful and fun to gaze at; please keep them coming!
    Thanks, though now budget very limited so this year's sets mostly out of reach for me so far, except for GBHQ and a few Nexo Knights  for my boy. 
    Someone asked for minidolls? Photo shoot from a few of the Friends sets that my daughter had opened up. I posted this in another thread previously :)

catwrangler77ncaachampstallblocktoodutchlegofan50andheKingAlanIEddieDoesntMindAllBrick
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    Trans light blue and trans clear really get to me, I also love collecting special color parts. They add a sort of uniqueness to MOCs when you know the part never came from any set.
    andhe said:
    legogal said:
    http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=3626c&name=Minifig, Head (Plain) - Stud Recessed&category=[Minifig, Head]#T=S&C=34&O={%22color%22:34}

Hi! I realized that lime heads were not a good example when I woke up! But there are plenty of other rare heads like dark orange and pink that will drive a completist insane. And without BL, this project would be impossible to begin. 

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,709
    welo999 said:
    Besides the one or another minifigure theme i collect Chima masks. They are neat and with the end of the Chima line a complete collection is possible.

Not sure yet how to display them. I'm thinking of building them a museum with display cases etc. - maybe  even a modular.

1st draft of a display case

"Here, kiddies, look at these dismembered heads of animal-minifigures!" ;)
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,849
    The museum displays is actually a pretty cool idea.
    77ncaachamps
    I like that idea too - wouldn't mind trying the same thing if I get more Chima stuff!
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 458
    rolyateel said:
    You're missing a test print head :)
    Thanks for the... err... heads up. Couldn't resist getting one for myself :-)

rolyateel
  • rolyateelrolyateel Member Posts: 40
    Bobflip said:
    rolyateel said:
    You're missing a test print head :)
    Thanks for the... err... heads up. Couldn't resist getting one for myself :-)

You just need a plain white torso now!
    The slippery slope has begun!
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 458
    I actually kinda like the way the rubbed off gold print makes the torso look a bit prototypey!
    But really I'll be holding out until I can get the test print legs and torso to go with it. And - especially in the case of the torso - that's going to be a long wait.
  • mpfirnhabermpfirnhaber Member Posts: 65
    Test head and legs. I also collect 2x4 bricks so the torso seemed appropriate :)

Bobflipbobabricksmithridate
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
     the torso seemed appropriate :)

It's a great torso... ;)
    eanair