Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lack of Mac LEGO CAD software?

derbybrickbuilderderbybrickbuilder DerbyMember Posts: 23
edited March 2016 in Building and Techniques
I have just migrated over to MAC and have found there to be a lack of modelling software. For Windows there is the simple LDraw AIOI. What are the recommended tools for a MAC environment that people use?

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,286
    edited March 2016
    LDD?
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,822
    I use LDD primarily, but other people who prefer a more CAD-like interface seem to say good things about Bricksmith. I have it on my computer but I'm generally not a fan. The main thing I get out of it that LDD doesn't have is mini-doll parts, and even then, I have a hard time getting enough real building done on Bricksmith for that to actually make a difference.
  • derbybrickbuilderderbybrickbuilder DerbyMember Posts: 23
    Yeah I have used LDD but there is just something about the interface that I am not to keen on - although I cant actually put my finger on it!! I like using MLCad on Windows.
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,036
    edited March 2016
    Bricksmith recommended here also. Uses the LDraw library, and very easy to use.
    Mynattkiki180703
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I've not used any of the downloadable software, but I've started using Mecabricks and found it to be pretty easy to get started. It runs directly in the browser. Since I haven't used the other softwares, I don't know if it's not as powerful as them.
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 573
    I use the same as @iso3200 however I will admit that I do find the software not as easy to use as LDD nevertheless I still find that it does its job when it comes to planning. 
    Just had a quick look at Mecabricks, is just for modelling or can it generate instruction sets?
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    @derbybrickbuilder I have not found a way to generate instructions with Mecabricks, but I just started using it. I'm not sure if it has that capability yet.
  • MecabricksMecabricks Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    Mecabricks is a good option for Mac. It is developed under this operating system ;-)
    Instructions are not available yet but I am working on it. The workflow is already designed but now I need to find some time to code that. It will probably be released before the end of 2016.
    ricecakekiki180703derbybrickbuilder
  • dubuissonartsdubuissonarts LiverpoolMember Posts: 4
    I'm having the exact same issue :/
    edited March 2016
    Hello,
    Mecabricks is a good option for Mac. It is developed under this operating system ;-)
    Instructions are not available yet but I am working on it. The workflow is already designed but now I need to find some time to code that. It will probably be released before the end of 2016.
    Merabricks is good and now my preferred method for model building - just a shame at the moment it cant generate instructions and I hope it will someday be able to export to LDR :)