Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Stickers?

Hello,

I was just wondering what people views were on Technic set stickers? I don't have to the room to keep models build and on display (so using virtual shelf) so if I attach stickers then this will hamper using the parts in other builds and MOCs. What do other builder so?

Comments

• AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,402
    I personally use all of my stickers. A lot of people don't use them at all. The choice is yours ultimately.
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    Not applying the stickers means they won't curl or peel off while in storage, provided you store them safely (e.g. inside the instruction book). It also means, should you re-sell later on, it's up to the purchaser to apply them.

However, some sets don't really seem complete without them.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I apply almost all my stickers and just buy a spare or two. I like to have my cake and eat it too!
    Legoboykiki180703chuckp
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,685
    I apply almost all my stickers and just buy a spare or two. I like to have my cake and eat it too!
    What a good idea.  :)
    BrickDancerprincedravenkiki180703
  • stank2kstank2k The CosmosMember Posts: 7
    I always apply stickers if I plan on building a set and keeping it a set when I store it. I make sure to clear the area of finger oils with a non scratch cloth because finger oil can dissolve glue over time. I also use dull tweezers so that I never touch the glue with my fingers and this also allows me to get precise sticker placement. All the parts with stickers on them get placed in separate bags of various sizes that I suck the air out off when I store the set to keep them from rubbing, scratching, or peeling off. I find that having the stickers on the parts in perfect condition makes the rebuilding of a set a lot more fun, its what I look forward too on the second go around. Stopping to carefully place stickers somewhat kills the initial building experience but it's a necessary evil.
    AllBrick
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,815
    I never thought of placing them with tweezers, will consider that next time I build a set with stickers.
    Would it work to put ordinary clear tape over a sticker to hold it down, or would that just curl too?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,169
    I use an xacto blade to place mine, there is a blade that is a bit offset, or has a chunk missing out of which works nicely (just have to be careful not to poke a hole in it)
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,377
    I use the end of a brick separator to apply stickers. 
    Yo_dA
  • s1yfas1yfa EnglandMember Posts: 3
    I always apply the stickers. Doesn't really bother me when I take things apart to make MOCs if there are stickers applied. Sometimes it can be good to try and use pieces with stickers on in a MOC for detail. Each to their own though, I fully understand some folks don't like them and choose not to apply and fair enough.

I do get very specific when apply stickers though, I'll reapply multiple times if I am not totally happy with alignment. Tweezers are useful for smaller ones, but really small ones (I am looking at you Speed Champions!) can be clumsy even with tweezers. Xacto blades for sure the way to go here.

42045 Hydroplane Racer has 3 stickers each side that need to line up well for the best look. These are a proper pain to apply right. This is what annoys me most with stickers, when multiple planes need to come together to look correct, and the printing of them is never quite right. You end up having some stickers right up to one edge of a part, which can make them more susceptible to damage through play.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,019
    Typically, I do not apply stickers.  Even to sets I "plan" on keeping.  Only because I dont ever really know if I will sell a set or not.

That, and I am not all that good at the application of stickers - one day, when I have more time to dedicate to LEGO and can patiently apply stickers Ill probably go back to sets I have built and apply all the stickers.
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,402
    Good tips here, using a tool is a great idea.

I've found that the sticker sheet itself is useful for peeling off stickers, it can be slid underneath the applied sticker so it can be lifted without damaging the corners.

I also apply stickers to parts before they are added to the build. Lego instructions normally ask you to add stickers when the part is in situ.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,422

One piece of advice I read somewhere was to put some kind of fluid on the part before applying the sticker (alcohol-based, I think). The sticker could then be moved around until perfect alignment was achieved. Then the part dried and the sticker is stuck for good. Can't remember what fluid would be best, and don't know if it impacted long-term sticker 'stickiness' but it's worth a thought.

I always apply stickers as I'm not bothered about resale value, and the set has to look as Lego intended. I wish I was patient enough to do it really carefully though - I use my fingers and it's never as good as I'd like, but (a) I'm too impatient to get on with actual Lego construction to spend more time with 'decoration' and (b) I have so little time to build I need to get it done asap anyway.

Currently proving a challenge is the Speed Racers series.

• JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    @MaffyD The extra couple of seconds it takes to apply stickers using a craft knife, or similar, is very worthwhile. The accuracy you can achieve is far better than using just fingers, as it is far easier to gauge exact placement before application. Try it - you won't be disappointed.
    MaffyDkiki180703
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 639
    I don't do a huge amount of Technic MOCing (except where it overlaps with Bionicle), but even so, I generally apply stickers to Technic sets when I build them. Even if the stickered part is rare, I can rest easy knowing that I can still use the parts when coming up with concepts and, in the event that I do end up needing one of those stickered parts for a finalized MOC, I can always Bricklink some more of the part in question.

The resale potential for sets isn't even on my radar. If that were a priority for me I might as well not remove the set from its box, since that would probably decrease the set's value more than stickers alone ever would.
  • deephorsedeephorse West Yorkshire, U.K.Member Posts: 83
    I rarely bother to apply stickers, but when I do I use two pairs of tweezers to do so.  If the part receiving the sticker is suitable then I place it onto a larger plate first so that it is as immobile as possible before placing the sticker.  I also wear a pair of magnifying reading glasses whilst doing so in order to ensure that the sticker is placed as accurately as possible.  I never expected my military modelling skills to come in handy when building something made from LEGO!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,169
    edited March 2016
    @MaffyD The extra couple of seconds it takes to apply stickers using a craft knife, or similar, is very worthwhile. The accuracy you can achieve is far better than using just fingers, as it is far easier to gauge exact placement before application. Try it - you won't be disappointed.
    Yeah, be careful not to cut the sticker, or poke a hole in it. I use an xacto knife with a #16 blade, it works fairly well, and keeps the oil from your fingers from messing with the glue on the sticker as well (just make sure the blade is clean too)
    MaffyD
    edited March 2016
    MaffyD said:

Currently proving a challenge is the Speed Racers series.

Speed Champions. Obviously I wasn't concentrating properly and my mind drifted to Japanese animated franchises.
    Yeah, be careful not to cut the sticker, or poke a hole in it. I use an xacto knife with a #16 blade, it works fairly well, and keeps the oil from your fingers from messing with the glue on the sticker as well (just make sure the blade is clean too)
    Yup.

Also, as @deephorse mentioned above, fixing the part to be stickered to a plate or larger brick also helps keep everything stable. The two techniques in tandem mean that all your stickers will look lovely! :-)
    MaffyDkiki180703
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    ...for a little while anyway :)
    ...for a little while anyway :)
    Very true... Which is why I only apply stickers when I have managed to source a duplicate set first.
    Very true... Which is why I only apply stickers when I have managed to source a duplicate set first.
    There must a way of restoring peeling stickers, surely?
    MaffyD said:
    Possibly, but I'd rather ensure that I had a backup now, just in case, rather than find that I can't fix them easily and replacements are difficult to find. I also have hi-res scans of all my stickers, again, just in case...
  • Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 137

I apply all stickers using a hobby knife. I clean all the pieces the sticker is applied to with a paper towel and alcohol cleaner and let it dry first.

Oh and least but not last, I scan every sticker sheet at 900 dpi and store them in my laptop and OneDrive storage :) This way I am able to reproduce every sticker later on using my color printer, the problem are those transparent ones. I have a local graphics studio quite nearby, so even those should not be a problem. 

• SarkySarky Vancouver, CanadaMember Posts: 23
    MaffyD said:
    You could possibly glue the stickers on? I haven't tried it myself though.
  • dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 168
    Patrik78 said:

I apply all stickers using a hobby knife. I clean all the pieces the sticker is applied to with a paper towel and alcohol cleaner and let it dry first.

I also clean my LEGO (wipe off the oily fingerprints) before applying stickers but use a Microfiber Cloth (no lint) instead of a Paper Towel. Paper Towels may leave fibers. I've had my share of dust or tiny fibers stuck under stickers and the smallest speck looks huge underneath!