Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

9785 - Mindstorms for schools , software?

thedaveyboythedaveyboy Hampshire UKMember Posts: 55
Hi all

My nephew's school recently let him take home some Lego that they found in storage at the school.  

http://brickset.com/sets/9785-1/Robo-Technology-Set-with-Serial-Transmitter

But there was no CD rom / software with the set.  I've looked online but not been able to find any downloads as of yet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or does any one have this that they can share?

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,877
    I have a feeling that the original code is not compatible with modern versions of Windows.
  • thedaveyboythedaveyboy Hampshire UKMember Posts: 55
    edited March 2016
    I'll get it it working using an old laptop or something, I'm an IT support guy so used to doing that sort of thing :)
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,751
    I believe it is the RIS 2.0 software, from a second-party fan site. You're going to need an old computer or a serial to USB cord.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,672
    edited March 2016
    @thedaveyboy , I still have mine, running on a Win XP machine (it was not made for XP, but there is an available patch).

If you have issues setting it up, I can help you there, just send me a PM. I have all the software, patches, etc.
    snowhitiekiki180703
  • EvilTwinEvilTwin UKMember Posts: 129
    Note that there are two versions of the RCX "tower"- a serial version and a USB version. Your link is to the set containing the serial version so I guess that's the one you have... In which case, unless you can find a machine that has a 9-pin serial port, you'll need a serial-to-USB converter. There are plenty articles etc online describing how people have done this.

Regarding software, I'm also an IT person and I found the software included with the RCX quite frustrating. My own preference is to use one of the alternatives, of which there are several, but my own favoured one is RobotC. The latest versions do not support the RCX (just NXT and EV3) but there is a free-but-unsupported "legacy" version that supports the RCX. You can find it at http://www.robotc.net/download/rcx/