Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Chrome Gold C3PO question

legoguyxlegoguyx USAMember Posts: 19
Hello everyone,

Just had a quick question here for those who own (or may know the answer to) the Chrome Gold C3PO minifigure.

I bought one and just got it in the mail today. One thing I noticed is that I could not take it apart - Looks like the head and lower leg part is glued on. So I can't turn the head but I can still move the actual arms and legs. Is this the way this figure is supposed to be?

In case you're wondering why I was trying to take it apart, I was just trying to look for the official Lego logo somewhere to help me confirm that it was authentic.

Thank you!

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,312
    It should come apart.
    princedravenPitfall69kiki180703
  • legoguyxlegoguyx USAMember Posts: 19
    edited February 2016
    Darn. ok thank you very much.

Before I made the purchase, the seller did assure me that it was authentic but made no mention about it being glued together *sigh*

Maybe I'll try to take it apart again. I just didnt want to use too much force the first time worrying that I would break it.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,542
    edited February 2016
    If you got it from eBay and really did not have an idea it is glued-was not described as such in the listing (though I would also look for a LEGO mark somewhere on the figure at this point) you can open a case that the item is not described. I think if you did not get it via eBay but paid with paypal you may have some protection there as well, but not sure.
    You can, and probably should, contact the seller and explain the issue first to see what they say.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited February 2016
    Yes @legoguyx the legs should come apart, as shown in it's Bricklink listing:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?M=sw158

You probably either have a keychain in monochrome gold that was printed onto, or its the Pen version of the Gold C-3PO. But without pics, just assumptions at this point.

And if so, its essentially worthless and you should do as @madforlego suggested and immediately open a case of 'not as described'. Btw, how much did you pay for it?

SumoLegokiki180703
    Hi madforlego, Brickdancer,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

I made the purchase via ebay - "Buy It Now" for $150.

There was quite a lot of text in the listing description but I'm very certain that there was no mention of it being glued or anything other than the real chrome gold minifig.

I will give it another shot in just a moment to see if I can take it apart. It that fails again, then I will contact the seller to see what he tells me.

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,299
    I would love to see a picture of it. Could you provide a few?
  • leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    samiam391 said:
    For your 'private collection', sir??
    mldj77kiki180703
    leego76 said:
    samiam391 said:
    For your 'private collection', sir??
    Um... what?
    SumoLegokiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,566
    edited February 2016
    ^^ Exactly, what?

Is that a GotG 'Collector' joke?

...crickets...
    VorpalRyu
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    Yeah I would love to see a couple photos. I have 3 sealed right now but none opened and interested in your current situation. 
    ok guys, I have some good news to report!

Finally, with a little bit more force I was able to remove the legs. Looks like the problem was that the minifig paint made the two pieces be stuck together. I did see the official lego logo on top of the leg piece.

I havent been able to remove the head but I assume it is related with the paint. I'll keep trying.

I think I'm more at ease now :)

BACbrix
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Wow talk about a deodorant problem!! Secret might be for women and strong enough for men, but utterly corrosive for droids apparently.

But good to hear you don't have an issue any longer with authenticity of the fig.
    Rsa33kiki180703
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    ^^That is a sexy *ss Minifigure! Wouldn't mind a Spider-Man done in a similar manner.
    Wow talk about a deodorant problem!! Secret might be for women and strong enough for men, but utterly corrosive for droids apparently.

But good to hear you don't have an issue any longer with authenticity of the fig.
    LOL!

Thank you and everyone for the help here. Glad I was able to confirm that it was an authentic figure :)
    madforLEGOkiki180703
    BACbrix said:
    Yeah I would love to see a couple photos. I have 3 sealed right now but none opened and interested in your current situation. 
    Nice!
    Did you purchase all 3 or were you one of the lucky ones to find a figure in a set?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    This is why I wouldn't buy a minifigure like this unless it was sealed and even then, I would have to see lots of pictures and more documentation. 
    gmonkey76kiki180703
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    This discussion inspired me to take mine out of the case and double check it...yup, it's legit.  The head and torso separate with no difficulty whatsoever.

I bought mine opened for a "decent" price on BL.  The user had over 4000 positive feedback and that was the deciding factor on taking the plunge on an opened fig.

I wanted one to display, and I know I wouldn't have got a couple hundred bucks worth of enjoyment from opening a sealed bag (if I could have even brought myself to do it!)
    All I've pulled from this thread is more questions... I want to know exactly what my 'private' collection is...
    SumoLegoPitfall69gmonkey76VorpalRyu
    ^ @samiam391 - Yes, inquiring minds want to know!
    Pitfall69gmonkey76kiki180703VorpalRyu
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    samiam391 said:
    All I've pulled from this thread is more questions... I want to know exactly what my 'private' collection is...
    Special vibrating chrome gold C-3P0?  He's probably sitting right next to your Good Morning Dildo and your 2015 Pitfallcon minifigure ;)
    SumoLegogmonkey76kiki180703Jackad7VorpalRyu
    @legoguyx Bought all on the aftremarket. My luck is poo so I purchased all three and am proud to say spent less than $1000 for all three combined with certification. 
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited February 2016
    ^ Now that's commitment. Spending money is one thing, but I wouldn't have myself certified. ;oP
    gmonkey76bandit778AllBrickPitfall69BACbrixkiki180703Jackad7
  • leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    samiam391 said:
    No doubt you have an extensive collection of chrome minifigs, certainly an interest. Who knows when you'll need a fix of a 'bad' chromed c3po..

I'll get my coat
  • KazJYKazJY Member Posts: 67
    there is paint missing under his "armpit" in the 2nd photo?  
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    ^I believe that is actually one of the marks of authenticity.  LEGO did not move the arms when they were "chromed" so the armpit is regular plastic.  Much like the top of the legs assembly or the neck stud.
    Pitfall69kiki180703
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    ^Interesting. I had no idea. Makes sense to not move the figure, but still scary seeing that lack of chrome!
    KazJY Yes paint is missing underneath the armpits. I re-read the listing for the minifig and it looks like the previous owner had it on display in a shelf since 2009. Assuming that the fig had not been touched or moved until just recently, the chrome paint may have caused the parts to stick together over time. Then upon moving the arms, the paint peeled off. I think thats why I was having the earlier issue with taking it apart.

I still cant turn or remove the head lol. Not sure if I should keep trying it either for fear of breaking it or causing some more chrome paint to peel off.
    Shpadoinkle

Yes, I would have preferred the sealed minifig but when I saw it for that price, I just had to jump on it. For me personally, that is the lowest that I have ever seen it. Usually, I see it at the $300+ range, out of the bag.
  • canadianbrixcanadianbrix Toronto, CanadaMember Posts: 37

Does anyone know which post here in the forum has the "official" list of sets likely to contain this special little guy?  I've seen it, but after scanning a whole lot of posts I still haven't found it.

Any 2007 Star Wars sets is fair game. 
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,385
    goshe7 said:
    ^I believe that is actually one of the marks of authenticity.  LEGO did not move the arms when they were "chromed" so the armpit is regular plastic.  Much like the top of the legs assembly or the neck stud.
    so that's not just overpriced but fugly as well
    ^ Gasp!
    BACbrixPitfall69BrickDancerkiki180703VorpalRyu
    Yeah you are triggering me @Fauch yah faucker :)
  • skipbrix08skipbrix08 New YorkMember Posts: 4
    I recently bought the same minifig and came across the same problem. 

Anyone have any any suggestions on how I might loosen the head?
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    edited May 2017
    ^ Twist and pull.

[waits for @Sumo's response]
    SumoLego
    ^Tried that approach.. no luck so far...

wondering if a dip in hot water might do the trick 
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    ^ A pair of pliers?
    My fear with that approach is I go full Hercules and make the situation worse!
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,104

Legoboy said:

^ A pair of pliers?

GothamConstructionCobobabrickscatwrangler
    edited May 2017
    Legoboy said:
    ^ Twist and pull.

Do a reverse Voltron.  (But be gentle!)

SumoLego said:

Legoboy said:
    ^ Twist and pull.

Do a reverse Voltron.  (But be gentle!)

Dipped him in some hot water proceeded to try the above.. worked like a charm!
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    Everybody knows that unsticking your chrome c-3po parts is like breaking the seals on your 10179.

MISB chrome 3po, STILL STUCK!