Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Need some advice. selling entire Lego collection.

I am looking to sell my Lego collection and am seeking some advice on how to get the best value. I am not really looking to piece out the sets because I dont really have the time. But would users on Bricklink be receptive to buying the entire lot or individual sets rather than piece by piece? I could also go the ebay route, but I have a near nonexistent selling history. Any advice is appreciated. Here are the sets I am selling.

10214 Tower Bridge

10188 Death Star

42043 MB Arocs

42009 Mobile Crane MKII

71006 Simpsons House

71016 Kwik E Mart

10225 R2-D2

8110 MB Unimog

76023 Tumbler

5571 Giant Truck

60097 City Square

10220 VW Camper

7965 Millenium Falcon

21017 Imperial Hotel

10248 Ferrari F40

8043 Motorized Excavator

70816 Benny’s Spaceship

75020 Jabba’s Sail Barge

21020 Trevi Fountain

9516 Jabba’s Palace

21024 Lourve

21303 Wall E

21018 UN Headquarters

21301 Birds

9493 X-wing

21108 Ecto-1

9492 TIE Fighter

21103 DeLorean

42036 Street Motorcycle

21109 Exo-Suit

60025 Grand Prix Truck

75902 Mystery Machine

40143 Bricktober Bakery

40138 Christmas Train

4432 Garbage Truck

40141 Bricktober Hotel

75112 General Grievous

40142 Bricktober Train Station

7956 Ewok Attack

21110 Research Institute

40144 Bricktober Toys r us store

75111 Darth Vader

75115 Poe Dameron

75113 Rey

Comments

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    edited February 2016

In general selling by the set = best value, but longer time and more work. Selling in bulk = the buyer would want a bulk deal, but it will take less time and work for you to sell the collection.

If you look at it from the buyer's perspective, this makes sense. If they pick up the entire collection it means that there will be sets in there that they don't want, and they will have to turn around and sell themselves. Basically they are willing to do the work that you didn't have the time or inclination for. So they expect a deal where this makes sense for them. This is really not a loss for you though, because you get the entire collection out of your hair quickly without much work.

If you decide that you want to go for more profit, you still have some options. You can sell the collection in chunks to a few buyers. That would still be less work than selling each set separately.

If that doesn't work you can hire someone to list the sets for you individually on eBay or BrickLink. BrickLink really doesn't take that much work as all you have to do is find the set, select the condition and your price - you should be able to do the whole thing yourself in less than an hour. You don't have to post pictures, or add descriptions or any of that extra stuff you have to do on eBay. The eBay route is much more involved, and the selling fees are much higher too (3% on BrickLink 10% on eBay). So if you go with eBay, it might make sense to hire someone to put up the listings for you. It only needs to be done once, as even if the sets don't sell within the first month, you can just hit the relist button.

Shipping is really the most involved process of selling either on eBay or BrickLink (or anywhere else online). Especially sets. You need to find suitable boxes and packing materials. It can easily take 30 minutes to pack each set even after you gathered the items. If you consider all of that and the value of your time, selling in bulk to one or a few people for a reduced price start to look a lot more attractive...

Personally I would first advertise here to see if there is a LEGO fan near you who would be interested in the collection or part of the collection. I would also see if there is a LEGO club near you to see if there are interested members there. I might also try Craigslist. Then the next option would be listing individually on BrickLink, because it is the easiest online route. If they don't sell there, I would try eBay as my last option.  

You might also consider putting a bit of time in researching prices. Retired sets would sell better than those still on the market. So perhaps just sell the retired sets online for maximum profit now, and sit on the other ones until they get retired, and sell them little by little. In my experience before Christmas is the best time to list sets online. This way you don't have to do all the work in the same time period. Of course if you need the money now, this may not be the right route for you... 

pharmjodkiki180703Amanda1983
  • BurningStarBurningStar NJMember Posts: 2
    Awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to craft a detailed response. I have some history buying on Bricklink and I'm thinking that selling the sets individually there might just be the best choice. 
    Ebertm55kiki180703Amanda1983
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    Awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to craft a detailed response. I have some history buying on Bricklink and I'm thinking that selling the sets individually there might just be the best choice. 

Yeah, I think that's a good choice too. You can easily work with how fast you want to sell the set. Look at the price-guide and see what other people are listing the set for. If you want to sell quickly, cut your price to the lowest, or close to the lowest. If you don't mind waiting, price your set in the medium range of prices, and check every month or so to see how your listing compares to others. I would advise against selling internationally. It is a nightmare, very expensive, and makes you vulnerable to fraud - takes quite a bit of experience to get used to it. I used to sell internationally, but then gave up on it. Now I only sell in the USA and do just fine. Have fun! :)
    Amanda1983
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    Lots of good advice above.  Don't overlook the option of selling on the marketplace here.  And I will heartily second the suggestion to avoid international sales as there is minimal benefit for adding a lot of complexity and risk.  I would add in the following tidbits.
    - Don't let low FB as a seller deter you from eBay.  I regularly see people tripping over themselves to jump on what are clearly "too good to be true" prices.
    - Research and price appropriately for eBay, Brickset, or BrickLink.  (Each site has different commissions, so the same price isn't necessarily the right answer).
    - If you are not including original boxes, check out the supplies from USPS.com.  You can get free shipping boxes for Priority Mail in sizes you don't find at the post office.  They have a 12x12x8 one that works well for selling larger items without being forced to go Flat Rate.
    pharmjodkiki180703Amanda1983
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,029
    akunthita said:
    I would advise against selling internationally. It is a nightmare, very expensive, and makes you vulnerable to fraud
    I don't disagree with the postage being expensive for international sales although as the buyer pays for it it is not such a big deal. However, you are also vulnerable to fraud from buyers within your own country, just as you are with international buyers.
    Amanda1983