Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Aligning the word LEGO on the studs of each piece

KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,070
I made a checkerboard by putting 4x4 plates on a 10" baseplate. It looked bad to have the word LEGO pointing in different directions. So I redid it with each plate laid down in the same direction. I now keep stud alignment in mind on other projects. It isn't so relevant when the pieces as a whole are pointing in different directions or are covered. I'll definitely keep it in mind next mosaic.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,094
    It's been discussed a number of times before. It is difficult with mosaics unless you only use 1x1 plates. Otherwise you are limited in which larger pieces you can use - a 4x6 plate would be different to a 6x4 plate due to the orientation of lettering.
    KingAlanIkiki180703
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,424
    Life's far too short to worry about things like that........... Isn't it?

*secretly wants to do this, but won't. OK, maybe sometimes I will*

KingAlanIkiki180703
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,070
    CCC said:
    It's been discussed a number of times before. It is difficult with mosaics unless you only use 1x1 plates. Otherwise you are limited in which larger pieces you can use - a 4x6 plate would be different to a 6x4 plate due to the orientation of lettering.
    As I said, "It isn't so relevant when the pieces as a whole are pointing in different directions". Maybe pieces with a left/right or up/down orientation could be aligned.

AllBrick said:
    Life's far too short to worry about things like that........... Isn't it?

*secretly wants to do this, but won't. OK, maybe sometimes I will*

I might not bother with this on a larger or more complicated project.
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 535
    edited February 2016
    Don't point that out to anyone with OCD, they could have an anurism when looking at UCS sets with thousands of pieces.
    KingAlanIkiki180703
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,049
    It's maybe a bit (just a bit :) OCD but I'm trying to line up the word LEGO on my Taj Mahal ;)
    KingAlanI
  • ChrisJThunderChrisJThunder United StatesMember Posts: 115
    Guys ... thanks to you all I'm going to lie awake at night wondering if all of my MOCs back home have the LEGO logo on the studs aligned correctly. :|
    kiki180703KingAlanIkezJackad7
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2016
    Some parts placements don't allow for this, but when I'm building my sets, I general keep any parts I can with the logos facing to the front of the build & those that have to be at 90° facing to the left side of the build.
    KingAlanIkezkiki180703xiahna
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 651
    Relative to sets from years ago, there are so few visible studs in today's sets (due to SNOT building, tile usage, and specialty slope parts) that I'm not sure this makes such a huge difference in the appearance of the finished model anymore...

As for me, I'm usually just so happy to have time to build that the last thing I worry about is aligning the logo on the studs!
    bandit778kiki180703
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Just buy clone brands and then you don't have to worry about the logo...
    Jackad7
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 829
    I'm really bad for this, I do the exact same as @VorpalRyu does, however bricks where the logo isn't visible such as flat plates with the logo on the underside must also face the same way where possible haha. 

I first was inspired to do this after being able to build my Lego sets rather quickly, this was to ensure that I had used as much time as possible to build my sets without leaving a gap for my next build (to save money initially). Now I have more money than when I started this bad OCD habit and a lot less time thus leaving me with currently 30+ unbuilt sets (and growing with the upcoming inclusion of 5+ UCS sets).

Word of advice: Don't align the stud logo unless you have TIME... :-/

Ps. Here's a thread with regards to OCD from a few years back if you're interested. http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/8043/building-lego-sets-to-perfection#latest
    VorpalRyukiki180703
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,315
    @kez, tiles, dishes, visible or not, all Lego logos are alligned as I described, the only exception, parts on side studs, across the side studs, unless they have to go at 90°, then its side it's to the front, front & rear parts to the left again... *lol* Good to know I'm not alone in Lego logo OCD.
    kezkiki180703xiahna
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    One Technic beam with an axle going through it. A bush either side is easy to do symmetrically.

Two Technic beams with an axle going through them both. One bush either side and one bush between the beams. What are you supposed to do with that?
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,070
    @kez cool old thread, don't want to necro it.
    I didn't bother with this on my large flag mosaic, I was busy enough with the project itself. I did align my mini flag.
    I agree trying to apply stickers correctly gives me a lot of grief and is the major reason I'd rather have printed pieces.

kezkiki180703
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,348
    MattsWhat said:
    Just buy clone brands and then you don't have to worry about the logo...
    Or use sandpaper to remove the logos ;-) 
    MattsWhatkiki180703Jackad7