How long will Brick Bank stay current?

KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,870
I'm wondering how much time I have to get #10251 Brick Bank. It's clear old modulars go way up, and I don't want to be caught with my minifigure legs down. Some from a few years ago are still around, but I don't know if I can count on that.

It's on my wishlist not because it's the new modular but because the currency nerd in me would love a bank model. Usually I buy small sets so I've thought of getting some big ones (on this theme, #1352 is in my old collection and #40110 is one of the current sets I'm looking at)

Comments

• natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    Research the Town Hall fiasco.  It will keep you up at night.

Seriously though, you should have at least a year.  Maybe 3.  
    KingAlanIkiki180703Jern92Oldfan
  • Schubert19Schubert19 CanadaMember Posts: 41
    I would guess you have about 2 years before it will go away...but then again Pet Shop is still available 5 years later.
    KingAlanIpharmjodkiki180703gmonkey76
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,870
    I noticed that PS was made before TH but is still available. Apparently the issue there that TLG pulled TH suddenly.
    For BB, it seems I have some time to budget for it.
    I'd wait for double VIP points and maybe a good throw-in. Since I want to build it, I'd be open to a damaged box on sale.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,366
    @KingAlanl exclusives like the BB don't go "on sale" in the US or receive an actual cash discount for any other reason. The best you can hope for is double points, or some extra points to offset a damaged box.
    madforLEGOKingAlanIkiki180703
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    Yeah, I don't think the LEGO Store gives sny discount for damaged boxes of exclusive items; only VIP points if I remember. 
    oldtodd33SumoLegokiki180703
  • WallaceWallace Member Posts: 134
    PC and PR have both been around for a couple of years now, along with the 5/6 years of the PS. No reason to believe that the BB won't be around for 3 years minimum. 
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    Yes I have received points on large sets with damaged boxes.  I don't know about other stores work but at mine other than one sales rep you mostly have to ask what might be available.  One rep knows I don't mind a damaged box and will try to make a sale if he's working.  Can't remember what the cut off is but smaller sets they will discount if damaged. 
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,421
    Basically, although there is a 'trend' for modulars to retire after about 4 years, in reality Lego retire sets when they stop selling well. I think it's probably just coincidence that this tends to be after about four or five years for the modulars.

#10224 Town Hall was more expensive than the rest, so probably sold less well, and hence was retired earlier. #10218 Pet Shop still sells, so is still around.

Also see: #10214 Tower Bridge. Everyone expected it to retire when #10234 Sydney Opera House came out, but it's still available.

Honorable mention: #10188 Death Star. Only just retired, after 7 and a half years. Rumour is that it was still selling well, but was retired to make way for the new #75159 Death Star.
    madforLEGOKingAlanIkiki180703
  • parsomparsom Member Posts: 43
    So why #10228 was retired?
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Probably because the rest of that theme was on its way out.

Furthermore, I think that anybody who relies on an exclusive being around for more than about two years is asking to be disappointed. Some last longer, but some don't.
    gmonkey76natro220LostInTranslationkiki180703
  • parsomparsom Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2016
    I just wonder if LEGO changed retiring policy. For example Pet Shop or VW Camper are still available. VW even has new box.
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,093
    edited February 2016
    The only thing that can be said with any certainty is that LEGO do not have a known set policy for retiring sets, apart from a purely internal one, based upon any number of factors, such as number of sets sold, outstanding inventory, profitability, replacement sets being planned, retirement of themes etc. etc.
    A good case in point is #10188 Death Star, as @Paperballpark ;mentions above.
    Bumblepantskiki180703
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,421
    parsom said:
    I just wonder if LEGO changed retiring policy. For example Pet Shop or VW Camper are still available. VW even has new box.
    So do Pet Shop and Tower Bridge.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    My advice is if a set comes out that you really like and want, plan on buying it as soon as reasonable and don't put it off. In general you should have two years as a safe window, but I suggest buy when the next promotion comes along to make it worth buying. I know that I snapped up the Mars Rover right away because I really wanted it; if I had waited I would have been disappointed. I got BB last week.
    madforLEGOOldfankiki180703
    I usually make a list of "must have" exclusive sets that I wait to buy at double VIP points time (also helps that I get my yearly bonus on Feb 26th).  I've been burned thinking sets will be around longer than they will be way too many times...Grand Carousel, Taj Mahal, Town Hall, Haunted House.
    Rsa33sklambMrJ_NYSumoLegokiki180703
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 799
    natro220 said:
    I usually make a list of "must have" exclusive sets that I wait to buy at double VIP points time (also helps that I get my yearly bonus on Feb 26th).  I've been burned thinking sets will be around longer than they will be way too many times...Grand Carousel, Taj Mahal, Town Hall, Haunted House.
    The Taj and Grand Carousel retired while I was still in my dark ages sadly. Now they're too expensive to even consider. 
    emilewski said:
    My advice is if a set comes out that you really like and want, plan on buying it as soon as reasonable and don't put it off. In general you should have two years as a safe window, but I suggest buy when the next promotion comes along to make it worth buying. I know that I snapped up the Mars Rover right away because I really wanted it; if I had waited I would have been disappointed. I got BB last week.
    I second this. Bought up the Town Hall (had to ask a friend to pay for it first then I repaid him a couple of weeks later) and the Haunted House right before they retired. Sometimes it's either that or you miss it forever.
  • LegoPegasister2015LegoPegasister2015 Westchester, NYMember Posts: 132
    Town Hall's an outlier. It's special in that it's larger and more expensive than the others and was really meant to make an impact. (And that it didn't sell quite as well as the others). Really given their popuarity I think you've got about 5 years.
    madforLEGOkiki180703
    @KingAlanl exclusives like the BB don't go "on sale" in the US or receive an actual cash discount for any other reason. The best you can hope for is double points, or some extra points to offset a damaged box.
    I was referring to the discount or extra VIP points for a damaged box as a sale. I apologize for the confusion.

I get the idea of buying a set you really want as soon as feasible. I was wondering how much time I have to budget for it. There are some small and midsized sets on my wantlist which I'll get much sooner.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,331
    edited February 2016
    Just bought the Brick bank for about 100 USD after cashing in on a bunch of my VIP points (hey, got to use my points on something). I was going to wait to buy it for double points, but I figure I'll get the GB HQ during double points.

I typically will buy at least one of the new sets I want near to release (only because I do not want to put it off then forget about doing it).
    For Exclusives (as Im in the US) I'll buy during double point promos. Any other set I add to my Amazon cart and watch for price drops of around 20% at least.

Just bought the Brick bank for about 100 USD after cashing in on a bunch of my VIP points (hey, got to use my points on something). I was going to wait to buy it for double points, but I figure I'll get the GB HQ during double points.
    You haven't quite said this, but it's worth pointing out that you should never "spend" VIP points during a double point promotion. You don't get points on points - you sort of lose out. If you spend points when double points are on offer you lose out on twice as many.
    madforLEGOSumoLegokiki180703
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,086
    ^ or to say it another way, you only earn points on the actual money you spend after any discounts (VIP points, coupons, etc) have been applied. The flip side of Double VIP points is that the points you have already earned decrease in value by 1/2 if you use them during this period.
    chrisalddinSumoLegokiki180703
    ecmo47 said:
    The flip side of Double VIP points is that the points you have already earned decrease in value by 1/2 if you use them during this period.
    No they don't. They worth exactly the same.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited February 2016
    ^ and ^^ they are effectively worth less but it isn't half:
    Have 100 points in account = £5/$5 to use already.
    Buy a £100/$100 dollar set, both during and after the event.
    Used during the event - total spend = £95 (190 points to account=190 points in) + £90.50=£185.50
    Used after event - total spend = £100 (200 points to account = 300 points in) + £85 = £185.00
    Therefore using your points during the double points means you would lose out by 10 points, or 50p/cents, over spending them another time (assuming you wanted to keep spending at some point).  That means the value of your points is effectively 10% less during the double points.
    I'd already posted that you lost out on the points earned.

You're just trying to be pedantic. In any case, they're still not worth less - it's simply the potential rewards are, which was my original post on the subject.

Points are worth whatever they're worth in the appropriate country. In the UK (only because we conveniently have £5 notes) a card with 100 points is equivalent to said fiver. If TLG could, just by offering double points, devalue those points, they would also be devaluing all those fivers at a stroke - a trick that even successive governments haven't been able to achieve.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,859
    TigerMoth said:
    ecmo47 said:
    The flip side of Double VIP points is that the points you have already earned decrease in value by 1/2 if you use them during this period.
    No they don't. They worth exactly the same.
    Do I get any points for knowing that this exact reply was going to happen?
    MattsWhatBumblepantsmr.pigglesgmonkey76SalamalexRsa33VorpalRyukiki180703
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004

I typically will buy at least one of the new sets I want near to release (only because I do not want to put it off then forget about doing it).
    For Exclusives (as Im in the US) I'll buy during double point promos. Any other set I add to my Amazon cart and watch for price drops of around 20% at least.

Did you buy BB online or go to the store?  I see pro's and con's for both options.
    Online: Pro: potentially lower tax rate Con: Potential shipping problems, box condition may not be great
    In Store: Pro: Can find the best looking box Con: Potentially higher tax rate, desire to purchase more Lego than intialy intended
    chrisalddinkiki180703
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,860
    Rainstorm26 said:

In Store: Con: desire to purchase more Lego than intialy intended
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
    Air i need air...........
    edited February 2016

Did you buy BB online or go to the store?  I see pro's and con's for both options.
    Online: Pro: potentially lower tax rate Con: Potential shipping problems, box condition may not be great
    In Store: Pro: Can find the best looking box Con: Potentially higher tax rate, desire to purchase more Lego than intialy intended
    Bought it online, as it is a cheaper tax rate by far, and cheaper to my gas tank as well (the store I go to is about 20-30 minutes away from me). As for shipping damage: I'm not displaying the box so that does not matter to me. Also, LEGO for me has been fairly good at not damaging boxes. Plus if it does get really beat up I guess I could take it to the store to exchange it for one not so beat up, not sure how they would like to do that though, if they even do that.
    Really the distance (as my vehicle is not getting any younger) and the tax are the main detractors for me when going to the store. I never worry about buying more as most of the stuff I want I can find on discount at Amazon, and any exclusive I buy online to at least save myself from higher taxes. The only thing I really go to LEGO store for anymore would be CMFs(especially since it seems like the Targets around where I live did not get the series 15 in stock), PaB, BaM, and special events (like the pre bf sale).

• Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    One other problem I have with ordering online is that the wife has a high probability of seeing a very large box of Lego arrive on our doorstep. Might not be well received. 
    Renegade007cjhkiki180703
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 619
    One other problem I have with ordering online is that the wife has a high probability of seeing a very large box of Lego arrive on our doorstep. Might not be well received. 

A PO Box (and the discipline to not spend more than my budget) helps with this...
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,860
    you could try, "well i could buy Lego or i could buy myself a new car." Card on your wife. she may let it go then, as Lego maybe costly. but it is still cheaper then a New Car.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,874
    TigerMoth said:

You're just trying to be pedantic. 
    Hello pot, this is the kettle calling.
    Rsa33BumblepantsVorpalRyumr.piggleskiki180703
    pharmjod said:

If you two keep it up any longer, you'll curdle.
    Rsa33VorpalRyukiki180703
    edited February 2016
    I dunno, considering that LEGO sometimes seems to use the same shipping box for a modular for a keychain I think you may be OK. Just cuss in front of her 'why would LEGO use all that space for a '70 USD set?'  (as Im guessing she will not buy the weight of a mod is a keychain) :-)

MattsWhat said:
    ^ and ^^ they are effectively worth less but it isn't half:
    Have 100 points in account = £5/$5 to use already.
    Buy a £100/$100 dollar set, both during and after the event.
    Used during the event - total spend = £95 (190 points to account=190 points in) + £90.50=£185.50
    Used after event - total spend = £100 (200 points to account = 300 points in) + £85 = £185.00
    Therefore using your points during the double points means you would lose out by 10 points, or 50p/cents, over spending them another time (assuming you wanted to keep spending at some point).  That means the value of your points is effectively 10% less during the double points.

In fact it is even less than that, at the end of each of those you have 90.5 (£4.525) and 85 (£4.25) points in your account, take that off the totals and you get £180.975 and £180.75.  Meaning the difference is only 22.5 pence.  So they are worth just under 5% less during the event.  But they are effectively worth less, so don't spend them people!
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,859
    TigerMoth said:
    pharmjod said:

If you two keep it up any longer, you'll curdle.
    I like cheese curds.  But not as much as Lego sausage.

-snickers-
    tallblocktoogmonkey76VorpalRyukiki180703
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,874
    I had never tasted cheese curd until I visited a friend in upstate New York. It was YUM!
    SumoLegokiki180703
    pharmjod said:
    I had never tasted cheese curd until I visited a friend in upstate New York. It was YUM!
    You still haven't tasted cheese curds..go to Wisconsin.
    oldtodd33pharmjodSumoLegokiki180703ricecake
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    You seem to have misspelled Quebec.
    flordoldtodd33tallblocktooRainstorm26SumoLegoVorpalRyukiki180703ricecake
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,059
    This shouldn't even be a topic.  The BB just came out - you have 2 years easily.  No way do we have another TH on our hands.
    Bumblepantskiki180703Mordoor
    crunching the numbers for VIP Points and sales tax is fun, I ought to build a spreadsheet. though this is an exclusive, a sheet would be particularly useful for stuff I *can* get cheaper elsewhere.

for me tax is 8% online and 7.5% at the LEGO Store - negligible even at this magnitude, and the trip there and back would be a pain especially with such a big box.
    mrbigz8657kiki180703
  • AustinPowersAustinPowers GermanyMember Posts: 278
    edited February 2016
    I was kind of in my "dark ages" when many of the now expensive sets on the secondary market (Taj, Carousel, UCS MF, GG, TH etc.) where available, and as can be seen from my rants over in the forum I was quite ire about that for a long time.
    Now otoh I don't really mind any longer. After having seen reviews for all those sets on Youtube (mostly by Jang), I can honestly say that most of them don't interest me as much any more as I thought they would. I won't go into all the details, but safe to say the current modulars for example are far more detailed (especially inside) and thought-out than the old ones.
    I therefor am definitely going to buy the BB, but only on sale. Now that I know that Black Friday and similar offers can net around 25% discount over here, I will certainly get it on such an occasion. Thankfully over here the Modulars are sold not only at Lego stores or [email protected] and as such not under any Lego "non-discount-law" :-)
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    edited February 2016
    i wanna make typical american makaroni with cheese...
    BUT which cheese ? i would have to drive 1 hour for some cheddar!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,780
    ^if typical is what you are after, just melt some orange plastic on the cheapest noodles you can find. But yes, if you want to enjoy it drive that hour for some cheddar
    Rainstorm26kiki180703
    ^is this what spare brick seperators are for?
    BumblepantsVorpalRyukiki180703
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,780
    edited February 2016
    ^Kraft buys them up in bulk from the big time Bricklink dealer periodically to resupply.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    brumey said:
    i wanna make typical american makaroni with cheese...
    BUT which cheese ? i would have to drive 1 hour for some cheddar!
    We usually have Mac n Cheese kits that have some kind of mysterious orange powder that mixes with the boiled macaroni to create pure deliciousness. Some people make homemade macaroni and cheese with real cheese, but that stuff is nasty. 
    mr.piggleskiki180703