Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Is this Avengers logo possible to build?

MagmaMagma United KingdomMember Posts: 5
I've made a little stand to keep Lego versions of the Avengers on, and toyed with making a little Avengers logo to go behind them. I couldn't pull it off, so I gave up.

I've since got the Lego Marvel's Avengers video game, and in the loading screens there is a logo made of Lego that looks perfect! A little... too perfect.

The only pertinent detail you can't really see from this is that the letter is 2 studs thick and the bottom-left part is actually two of part 61409 side by side (Roof Tile W. Lattice 1x2x2/3).

I can build the logo virtually in LDD about halfway up, using two of part 99781 (Angular Plate 1,5 Top 1x2x1/2) to make a slightly fragile-looking horizontal bar, but then it starts to fall apart. Literally. There don't appear to be inverted 2x4x1 slopes, so the two that appear to be base-to-base don't have any way to stick together. At best I can make it so the top part will split in two if left to gravity, and at worst I have two plates with superimposed studs.

Am I missing something, or is this impossible and would I be better off abandoning it in favour of using 2x3x1 slopes (which would make it look a little squashed, but at least do come in an inverted variety)?

Comments

• matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    If I'm understanding it correctly, all of it is possible, however it's about five separate "chunks" that are positioned together but can't possible connect as arranged. Cool find! I'm interested in this now, so if I have time later I might try to figure out how it all works with real bricks. 
  • MagmaMagma United KingdomMember Posts: 5
    Great, I'd love to see how you managed to fill that 1x2 brick space inbetween the three roof tile slopes. LDD wouldn't accept any of the ideas I had, though I'm aware it doesn't let you make "illegal" connections. I don't have enough bricks lying around to test ideas out physically.

As for the bottom-right corner, I might bridge the gap by replacing the 2x4 and 2x2 flat plates with two 1x8 flat plates so it just hangs off it. Then I just need to find a way to fix it standing up - I'm fairly new to this MOC business but I'm sure there are a lot of ways to do that. If I replaced the 2x4 plate at the bottom with a 2x2 angle plate (part 3956) it would put a 2x2 anchor point almost under the centre of gravity, which should do nicely. Then I should be able to fix it to the back of the plinth and give a nice backdrop for the minifigs.

catwranglerkiki180703
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Expect an article on the homepage about this tomorrow.
    @CapnRex101 did this happen?  Had a quick search but couldn't see it anywhere.
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,541
    Expect an article on the homepage about this tomorrow.
    @CapnRex101 did this happen?  Had a quick search but couldn't see it anywhere.
    Was Just about  to ask the same question! 
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited February 2016
    I'm waiting for the article as I can't seem to do it without having one slope with two tiles attached just slide into place. It won't go anywhere but no stud connections. Not sure if that is cheating...
    It could also be made easier when viewed from the right hand side if you can see the top or bottom of bricks. Then a sneaky 1x2 technic brick with two holes makes all the difference in the middle. 
    Could maybe use trans pieces to float the bottom right part in a vertical version.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,291
    I have had a bit of trouble with the photography but it will be posted very soon. 
    princedravenkiki180703
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    Magma said:
    Great, I'd love to see how you managed to fill that 1x2 brick space inbetween the three roof tile slopes. LDD wouldn't accept any of the ideas I had, though I'm aware it doesn't let you make "illegal" connections. I don't have enough bricks lying around to test ideas out physically.
    I don't think a 1x2 technic brick with 2 holes is a legal connection, but I have no idea about an alternative.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,360
    Well this was brought to my attention yesterday by @CapnRex101, who asked me to try to replicate the build in LDD and generate instructions for it. It couldn't be exactly done due to one connection used not being recognised in LDD but I was able to do some "exploded" view renders (that should be enough to get an idea of how it goes together) and a parts list. I noticed that there was supposed to be an article on the homepage about it but it's yet to go up it seems.

I would upload them here, but I'm not sure if the Capn' wants me to do so :o)
    princedravenkiki180703Lego_Star
    Galactus said:
    I don't think a 1x2 technic brick with 2 holes is a legal connection, but I have no idea about an alternative.
    It's not. That was my first thought but LDD wouldn't allow it. It seems that the height of the holes in a technic brick is very slightly different to the height of the studs sticking out of the side of a regular brick. There also seems to be some deformation of the shape in the middle where the height of 5 plates is used to fill the width of 2 bricks. I think they don't exactly match in dimensions.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,726
    I believe the article is going live later today
    Coolguy5000princedraven
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    Hope I'm not spoiling the article...  The connection works but is illegal due to element stress.

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,291
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    I'm not sure this is illegal.

First things first, you can't use a 1x2 Technic brick - that would be illegal. But you can use two 1x1s. A single stud in a single Technic hole is perfectly legal; what you can't have is two or more studs connecting the same two pieces. A stud in a hole is tight, but a child is able to remove it; the resistance offered by two studs, however, is too much. But if they're on separate but adjacent pieces, it doesn't matter. That's where the bit about element stress comes in; by using two bricks, it doesn't apply. Yes, in theory you still have a stud wedged in a hole, but that's legal.

A secondary problem is that, when assembled the angular plate doesn't line up with the two Technic 1x1s - the bricks are .12 mm to the left of the plate. This means that the 2x4 roof tile can't sit properly on the studs of the plate - there's .12 mm gap. It's shown as illegal, but I think that really refers to it being illegal when there are other connections so the whole thing is twisted. Here, contact's limited to just the four studs at the left-hand end of the cross bar. So if you're prepared to accept that .12 mm "crack"  across the whole construction, then it's fine. I don't believe that there is anything that says a stud has to be inserted for it's full depth.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,726
    Put it like this: it would never appear in an official set...
    SumoLego
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    According to the Jamie Berard PDF...

The Center Point for the stud on the side of a System brick is 3.92mm from the top of the brick

The Center Point for the hole in the side of a classic Technic brick is 3.80mm from the top of the brick

The Center Point was moved up in order to accommodate the additional plastic needed around the Technic hole so that a stud can still fit in the bottom of the brick. 

This is one area where the "system" is not perfect!

• RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 919
    Fixed up mine with slight variations. I'm using the 1x2 technic brick with single hole.

Bumblepantskiki180703SumoLegoKevin_Hyatttallblocktoo
    I like the capping off of the logo on the top. That should make it much more structurally sound, as the original appears to have the left side anchored on only two studs in the middle. I think I'll be doing mine in boring old easy-to-get grey :)
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,489
    it actually wasn't hard to figure it out, except for that technic brick since you don't see that in official sets.