Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ghostbusters - New ECTO-1 for the new movie

richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
It's official - from Ghost Corps on FB. Haven't seen a LEGO release yet.

NeilCrosbyLostInTranslationINDYJONASJessyDooDahbrickedinkezkiki180703ricecakeThe_Mad_VulcanSumoLegoShibAllBrickobi_g

Comments

• AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,697
    richl
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
    The full reveal looks pretty good. Love the new hair pieces, and the bike and new Ecto-1 look pretty good (except maybe for the big yellow piece on the roof)!
    pharmjod
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 586
    Wow, spoiler alert! The LEGO set definitely gives away a little of the plot. 
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited February 2016
    OK, lets not slam it too bad already, but those printed arms are gorgeous, why o why couldn't they have kept them the same colour as the team from the ideas set.  Next up, eeww.. giant(ish) curved sticker and clear stickers (I can live with those I guess) but why is the steering wheel sunk in the floor?
    Like the new hairpieces though.  I'm also kind of excited to see that the proton pack use of the whip has stayed in.  It always felt a bit pushed to count as legal and figured maybe they let it through as it was ideas. How little I know.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Could not be less excited abo...
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,277
    The question is, will it fit in the GBHQ any better than the original. (At least the bike will)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    The Ecto-2 is the motorcycle then?  That seems like a weird drop off to me.  If one of them rides a Segue, would that be Ecto-3?  Skateboard Ecto-4?
    theLEGOmankiki180703
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 265
    it will be a purchase! Will go nice next to the existing set and the GB-HQ.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,697
    "57 people own this set."
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,525
    edited February 2016
    The Ecto-2 is the motorcycle then?  That seems like a weird drop off to me.  If one of them rides a Segue, would that be Ecto-3?  Skateboard Ecto-4?
    Ecto 3 must be a Reliant Robin, doin' it del boy style.
    richlkiki180703Furrysaurus
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,172
    To me, this LEGO Ecto 1 looks better than the actual car in the movie (the LEGO version almost looks like a 70's model caddy whereas the actual one is 80's I believe). The question I have is are those all stickers?
    gmonkey76
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    MattsWhat said:
    ... those printed arms are gorgeous...
    Agreed. Just like the Boba Fett minifigs with printed arms and legs, it really adds to the figs. LEGO did some really nice work on these.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    Absolutely awesome! I'm totally digging the new hairpieces, especially Kate McKinnon's wacky do! Great Melissa McCarthy minifig too! And I love that the car can actually fit the four of them, plus it looks like there's room for storage of their proton packs (is that what they're called?) in the back. Why exactly did I buy the Ideas version?
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    Because the Ideas set is a different vehicle :P
    gmonkey76kiki180703
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,923
    The new Ecto-1 looks great! I love that it now seats all four characters and has opening doors. In general I'm also a fan of the somewhat more grounded design sensibilities of the movie. The new car still looks pretty as a toy, but not to the extent that it'd be hard to imagine a glorified team of exterminators using it as a work car. And it's certainly way more professional looking than the glitzed-up version from Ghostbusters 2.

$60 is $10 more expensive than the LEGO Ideas version, but besides all the improvements on that version which may or may not influence the price, it also has two more figs and a bike. So I think the price should still be moderately fair for what you get.

It uses some stickers but not a lot, and they seem like they should be relatively easy to apply. Glad the stripes on the sides appear to be printed, as it would've been pointless and tedious to have to line up 14 identical stickers on 14 identical pieces, on a mold that could be printed without a hassle. That's the perfect example of a part it's well worth the LEGO Group's resources to print.
    catwranglerLyichirkiki180703
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,104
    That has a LOT of new pieces and new colours for existing pieces:

- There's a strange 1x1 round plate with a bar underneath it (Trans Clear)
    - The new 2x2 wedge plate (White)

- 1x1 round tile - new in black
    - 1x2 ingot tile - new in black
    - 1x3 toolbox - new in dark blue
    - Skeleton arm - new in red
    - Skeleton leg - new in red
    LostInTranslationkiki180703
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,692
    ^^And the Ideas Ecto-1 is a better car/cast. This new Ecto-1 is a better set, opening doors, seats 4. Will not go into the all female leads as making the movie bad, I have not seen a Melissa McCarthy movie/show that was any good. I don't get how they can keep putting her in movies after all the bombs shes had.
    madforLEGOkiki180703VorpalRyu
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    edited February 2016
    The set is disappointing on so many levels.  £50 for that is a piss take.

[New Year's Resolution for 2017, must keep an open mind.]
    mr.piggleskiki180703
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    I love the new hairpieces so much! I mean, the whole thing looks great, but I was just thinking I'd like some different ones. 

Seems like we ought to be able to figure out the vehicle's size by counting studs (or spaces the length of a stud) from end to end - there are enough pictures from different angles...
    edited February 2016
    Legoboy said:
    The set is disappointing on so many levels. £50 for that is a piss take.
    What levels would those be then?

Did you expect a set based on the new movie to have a brand-new Elephant mould? Or maybe a crocodile?

Or maybe you expected there to be real suspension on the car?

Or maybe you expected it to be half the price of the Ideas set, despite being just as big (if not bigger), with one extra minifig?

I'm really curious...
    LostInTranslationDedgeckokiki180703
    Legoboy said:

Did you expect a set based on the new movie to have a brand-new Elephant mould? Or maybe a crocodile?

Or maybe you expected it to be half the price of the Ideas set, despite being just as big (if not bigger), with one extra minifig?

I'm really curious...

Too small, not enough detail, too expensive, stickers, all figs not enough model.  It's more like a £30 battle pack oh and we'll through in a car and bike for another 20.

I think you got it right re the price point vs the Ideas set.  It looks so insignificant in comparison.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    We don't know the piece count yet do we? 
    The previous Ecto was £44.99 and had only 4 figures. £49.99 for a comparably sized model with lots of new parts and 6 figures seems reasonable to me.  
    Paperballparkcatwranglermr.pigglesgmonkey76matticus_brickskiki180703
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 935
    Legoboy said:
    Legoboy said:

I'm really curious...

Too small, not enough detail, too expensive, stickers, all figs not enough model.  It's more like a £30 battle pack oh and we'll through in a car and bike for another 20.

I think you got it right re the price point vs the Ideas set.  It looks so insignificant in comparison.
    It seems to be almost exactly the same size as the Ideas model, seems to use printed parts rather than stickers for most of the details (and has more printed parts than the Ideas set, quantity-wise), and could probably be considered even less of a "figure pack" than the Ideas set considering that four of the six figures actually can be seated in the car (and one on the bike), rather than just getting a display stand. Are we even looking at the same set?
    LostInTranslationPaperballparkpharmjodAanchirgmonkey76INDYJONASmatticus_brickskiki180703
    Legoboy said:

Too small? It's the exact same size as the Ideas car. And it has a motorbike

Not enough detail? It has loads of detail.

Stickers? Boo hoo stickers. Anyway, the side stripes look printed to me, although I could be mistaken.

All figs not enough model? Seriously? The model is the same size as the ideas one!

I really struggle to see how you think it looks 'insignificant' in comparison to the Ideas one - It's the same bleedin' size!

Where's a 'rolls eyes' smiley when you need one?

LyichirAanchirgmonkey76mldj77tallblocktooINDYJONASmatticus_brickskiki180703
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,148
    Legoboy said:

Too small? It's the exact same size as the Ideas car. And it has a motorbike

Not enough detail? It has loads of detail.

Stickers? Boo hoo stickers. Anyway, the side stripes look printed to me, although I could be mistaken.

All figs not enough model? Seriously? The model is the same size as the ideas one!

I really struggle to see how you think it looks 'insignificant' in comparison to the Ideas one - It's the same bleedin' size!

Where's a 'rolls eyes' smiley when you need one?

Agreed. How in the world does it look insignificant? The car is pretty much exactly the same size as the Ideas one and actually appears to have far MORE printed parts than the Ideas one did. The four Ghostbusters figs are far more detailed than in the Ideas version, with printed arms, printed/dual-molded legs, and two or three new hair molds. And then there are two additional brand-new figures and a bike.
    PaperballparkLyichirgmonkey76catwranglerkiki180703
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    You guys are funny getting all worked up by someone else's disappointed comments.  Isn't that the internet for you?  They could do a $1200 10000 piece Ultra-UCS MF and people would complain too expensive, or a $650 rehash of the original and people will complain duplicate, or they do a $300 not as good one and people will complain not detailed or not big enough.  Can't please everyone even if they're being served basically the same dish as in this case.

monkeyhangerkiki180703mgjvegas
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,833
    edited February 2016
    Some nice printed faces although not so sure about the hairstyles. Torsos are probably movie realistic but not for me. Shame they didn't have light tan so the arms could be switched out on the original torsos. Some nice parts on the demon too.

Well done giving out the spoiler Lego. Not cool. Not that I'll be going to see it anyway.

Some people really, really, REALLY despise stickers.  Seriously, enough for such a thing to direct what sets they will, or more accurately, will not buy.  It's not whining either.  Would it be cool to say "Boo hoo cracking bricks?" or "Boo hoo fading plastic?"

First world problems indeed.
    CircleKkiki180703
    ^ the latter two are quality control issues. Stickers are exactly as intended.

First world problems indeed.
    Indeed.

Aanchirkiki180703
    edited February 2016

Not really, one could argue that stickers as of late are themselves 'quality issues' in the sense that they do not always stay adhered to the part they need to stay on. Printed parts however tend to be a bit more robust in staying as intended.
    TheLoneTensorgmonkey76CircleKkiki180703

Not really, one could argue that stickers as of late are themselves 'quality issues' in the sense that they do not always stay adhered to the part they need to stay on. Printed parts however tend to be a bit more robust in staying as intended.
    There's a difference between saying stickers HAVE quality issues and saying they ARE quality issues. That'd be like saying "I've had a problem with minifigure parts breaking so LEGO should stop making minifigures".
    Lyichirkiki180703
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    I have come to the thread to say:
    (i) I hate the new film (which I haven't seen);
    (ii) the set is rubbish (which I might buy later this year); and
    (iii) I have no interest whatsoever in this thread.

PaperballparkcatwranglerSumoLegochuckpBumblepantskiki180703WatfordScottyMSalamalex
    edited February 2016
    I'm willing to give it a chance.  It is a reboot after all, so it'll be interesting to see the reimagining (or utter blasphemy) of a classic.
    mr.pigglesAanchirThanos75kiki180703
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    I'm not really a Ghostbusters fan, I mean, I liked the original movie and the offshoot cartoon as a kid (totally rocked a GB lunchbox) but I have no real sense of nostalgia or heart flutters or urge to be super into it... but I really want those faces/hairstyles.

LostInTranslationkiki180703
    edited February 2016
    Aanchir said:

There's a difference between saying stickers HAVE quality issues and saying they ARE quality issues. That'd be like saying "I've had a problem with minifigure parts breaking so LEGO should stop making minifigures".
    Stickers are cheaply made by LEGO now and should be fixed, no where did I say to remove them completely (nor do I think @TheLoneTensor did either) so I have no idea how what you replied with is a parallel to what I said.

Also they could remove stickers altogether as well,or reduce the need for them in many sets, because they have an alternative in printed parts, more costly but typically are more robust and would not be peeling off of the pieces.

edited February 2016
    I didn't, but I will.  Remove them completely :)
    The_Mad_Vulcankiki180703
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,701
    Aanchir said:

Stickers are cheaply made by LEGO now and should be fixed, no where did I say to remove them completely (nor do I think @TheLoneTensor did either) so I have no idea how what you replied with is a parallel to what I said.

Also they could remove stickers altogether as well,or reduce the need for them in many sets, because they have an alternative in printed parts, more costly but typically are more robust and would not be peeling off of the pieces.

"Too small, not enough detail, too expensive, stickers, all figs not enough model.  It's more like a £30 battle pack oh and we'll through in a car and bike for another 20."

The lack of an adjective implies that the use of stickers is a problem. Had you said "stickers that don't stick" or "too many stickers" it would indicate that the quality or quantity of the stickers is a problem.
    edited February 2016
    Well, it looks crap to me and no, I see a significant lack of detail but more figs.  Maybe it's just a crap Ecto-1 I see.  New parts are wasted on me.
    edited February 2016
    Did I just witness the fission of two arguments up there?  That's amazing.
    edited February 2016
    ^^^ Stickers is a problem on a legend of a franchise.  Maybe I'm just hung up on film it's not going to be.
    ^^ Fusion, ugh.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    So meta of TLG to release a rehashed set to go a long with a terrible rehash of a movie.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I'm willing to give it a chance.  It is a reboot after all, so it'll be interesting to see the reimagining (or utter blasphemy) of a classic.
    I will never watch this film or contribute a single penny to anything that has anything to do with it.  Remakes and reboots of classic successful movies are utter blasphemy that should not exist, and I won't be a part of it
    Legoboykiki180703
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^I feel the exact same way. The only one that gets a pass is SW VII: A Used Hope
    Legoboygmonkey76dougtskiki180703
    dougts said:
    I will never watch this film or contribute a single penny to anything that has anything to do with it.  Remakes and reboots of classic successful movies are utter blasphemy that should not exist, and I won't be a part of it
    I know, right? We can all remember what a disaster Ocean's Eleven was compared to the timeless 1960 version it was based on, or how awful John Carpenter's The Thing was compared to the 1951 version, or how utterly forgettable The Ten Commandments was compared to the 1923 silent film original! Improving on movies that were once popular is impossible, end of story. It's a mistake to even attempt it.
    mr.pigglesLyichircatwranglermagriLostInTranslationkiki180703The_Mad_Vulcanbrumey
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,833
    edited February 2016
    The Fly too, the Cronenberg version was great. The original not bad either.

Although I don't hold much hope for GB. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,288
    Hoverboard - Ecto-5.

There is an Ecto-2... it's a helicopter!
    gmonkey76kiki180703
    dougts said:
    As far as I know, as part of making this new one, they won't be burning all existing copies of the original Ghostbusters (I could be wrong), so you can easily still enjoy that as much as you ever have.
    LyichirAanchirmatticus_bricksLostInTranslationkiki180703