Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Death Star: Bricklink the rest or part out?

NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339

So a patient of mine is moving houses and found this partial Death Star. It was her son's but he is long over Lego building. It is very sweet that she thought of me. Didn't have any minifigs, but I'm not complaining. :)

Now I have to decide - do I Bricklink the rest or just take it apart. From this picture, anyone have a rough guess how much it would cost to finish?

Comments

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,724
    I believe you literally have half of it- is there anything in the bottom rooms?
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    Yes, furniture, big guns, equipment and the trash compactor on the bottom. And maybe 25 loose bricks in the box....
    iliketoast
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Part it out. Not enough there to salvage and complete versus buying a 'used' one currently.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    Big question is how badly do you want a death star? I thought about bricklinking one for my personal use without the figures since I have the updated ones needed. But even without figures it was still upwards of 300$ or more. I was surprised. Granted that was bricklink and all new bricks with none from my own collection. Considering you have about half there, you may be able to cover the rest for not a ton more. I'm not sure how many "rare" pieces are in that set. I think it is just the sheer number of pieces that makes it expensive.
  • JoeMMoJoeMMo Member Posts: 6
    I have that set and that's not even half of it, there's a lot more on the upper decks to build before you're getting close to complete. I would just use it for parts personally.
    NatebwBumblepantsBuriedinBricks
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    I'd say that is less than half as @JoeMMo  said.  Bricklinking the rest would cost probably as much if not more than just buying a copy of it right now since you can still get it for like ~$500.  You probably have 1/3 of it and it parts out to ~$800 so its about the same cost.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^ I'm in Tampa too. Apparently, I need nicer clients!
    Natebwkiki180703Pitfall69BuriedinBricks
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,382
    Plot twist: The bags contain Megabloks.
    Natebwkiki180703SprinkleOtterSumoLego
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,435
    Don't do a thing.

youve got the exploded Death Star!

youre done!
    spepperNatebwmadforLEGOLegoPegasister2015gmonkey76kiki180703
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @Natebw instead of building it, the more efficient approach is to simply catalog the parts you already have of it. That way you'll know exactly how much value you have of bricks in your possession already.
    @BrickDancer well, it isn't as efficient, but we have turned it into an office wide project to build it. We spent lunch today breaking down the bricks. We'll see how long it takes to build. Should be fun.
    princedravenPitfall69YodaliciousJoeMMoRecce

FWIW, we wound up with 99% of the parts, mius stickers and minifigs. Pretty cool over all. Now that I have built it, I don't know how long I will keep it - I kind of have plans for all that grey.......
    SprinkleOttercatwranglerkiki180703BuriedinBricks
  • preusspreuss CanadaMember Posts: 86
    The kid is going to regret this badly one day...
    catwranglerkiki180703