Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2016 Monthly Building Contest - February: Shields Up!

ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,421

As there was a bit of interest in reviving the Nice Part Usage contest here is the new Brickset Monthly Building Contest.

Each month I will announce what the nature of the contest is, but to ease us in lets start with a Nice Part Usage theme. To try to make it as easy as possible for as many people to enter I've chosen a group of seed parts, any minifigure shield.

If you are in any doubt as to whether a part will count or not just ask in the thread. If you are using Nexo Knight shields then it is the part that the figure holds that counts, not the new shaped tile part.

Please only enter new builds, there is no size limit, but remember this is about nice part usage so a massive build with only one shield will not score very highly, neither will a shield used as a shield. Post a maximum of two images per entry below, as many entries as you want. Entries close at midnight in the UK on the last day of the month.

There will be a small prize for the winner, a lucky dip from the polybag/mixel pool I have, but really this is just intended as a bit of fun. The winner will br chosen on the last day of the month and announced on the first of the following along with the next contest.

LDD entries are welcome but please use the restricted colour palette.

have fun and get building!

bandit778rdflegoSalamalexBumblepantsMattsWhatkiki180703catwranglerGothamConstructionCoSirBenGalactusWicksy80PaperballparkAdeelZubairsnowhitievitreolumDedgecko

Comments

• MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Man, two days and still drawing a blank on this one.  It should be easy, I think I will give my 4 year old a go, he can beat me at this hands down.
    OrmskirkBrickskiki180703
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,897
    Sadly I don't have any shields that aren't in storage. Perhaps I can join in next time.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,257
    edited February 2016
    Right here goes, I only have 1 shield part from the Ultimate Lavaria set. Not a great fan of the Nexo Knights series but loved this particular minifig. Have had the set built on the table next to me since I brought it and decided to modify it when I read this thread.
    So here is my parts usage moc.... a throne for the Lavaria fig.
    I know it's not much but it starts the ball rolling and all that.
    kiki180703catwranglerShibWicksy80Coolguy5000
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,421
    A couple of great entries so far. I am currently without internet at home but should have it back before the end of the month so keep the entries coming.
    Finally got round to doing a bit of building. I wanted to do a flower but it proved quite tough, I did find a use for the torso piece (bit late for that one though). Definitely needs work although I'm going to move onto a different idea now.

Shibcatwranglerrdflegobandit778Coolguy5000kiki180703Bumblepantssnowhitie
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,897
    So it turns out I (well my kids actually) do have a shield. Pardon the lack of photography skills:
    MattsWhatShibmr.pigglesrdflegobandit778kiki180703dougtssnowhitiecatwrangler
    I don't have the pieces of this to hand for this one and LDD is getting frustrating with it's legalness rules.  So here is an unfinished idea - I wouldn't normally post stuff unfinshed or from LDD for a competition but I feel we need to keep the thread bumped and inspire people to get involved.

eye.png 16.4K
    Shibbandit778kiki180703snowhitie
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    what about this part ?

Looks like a bionicle/hero factory scale part? Not really useable by a minifigure, butgiven that we are still fairly short on entries i guess i could consider it.
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    bricklink lists 397 parts when searching for shield. 
    http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?id=82230#T=S&O={}
    edited February 2016
    Shib said:

To try to make it as easy as possible for as many people to enter I've chosen a group of seed parts, any minifigure shield.

While it is described as a Shield, I did include the word minifigure to try and avoid the ambiguity of other scale shields.
    Still a few days left to enter.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    I started thinking about tessellating or overlapping some shields to create the effect of fabric (inspired by Ellen Terry's beetle-wing dress) cascading. It turned out to be much tricker than I thought - two days later, this is what my partner and I came up with, as modelled by the warrior Brickhilde:

Shibtallblocktoosnowhitiebandit778kiki180703BumblepantsMynatt
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,539
    lol, looks like some of you like complicated stuff
    catwranglerkiki180703
    One more from me: absurdly simple but once I'd seen it, I had to make it... snowshoes!

MattsWhatkiki180703tallblocktooShibWicksy80bandit778LostInTranslationsnowhitie
    Aaaanddd relax.  What's up next for March @Shib ?
    Glad to see I'm not the only one excited for the March prompt! :D
    MattsWhatkiki180703
    ^for the record I think your snow shoes should win. Nice and simple.  So part of me hopes you miss the annoucment this month :P
    catwranglerkiki180703
    Aww, thank you! I have to own up to some pure luck there - I used... okay, let me go and find out the formal name for "uppy-downy clips"... these to connect shield and foot, and it happily turned out that Technic figure feet are hollow, so they fitted smoothly on the whole foot without the upper part of the clip getting in the way...
    edited March 2016
    (a '1x1 with horizontal clip' is what I always call them)
    I was wondering how you had done it, I wasn't sure if it was a tooth part wedged in or something, I don't have any technic people to hand to check their fitting.  I don't think legal is that important for the purposes of the competition, but the fact that it is, is a nice touch.
    Yeah, if the foot hadn't been hollow I'd have had to fit the stud into the heel, which would've looked weird for snowshoes. I'm actually not all that clear on what constitute legal (or rather, illegal) techniques; it's one of those things I need to read up on, but I'd assume anything that strains the plastic is a no-no...
    Yeah, strains the plastic, doesn't fit completly into a clip, breaks the 5 plates to two widths rule, studs into technic holes - that kind of thing. There is a pdf with all the legal and illegal stuff in, @TigerMoth is around and he will know.
    *shifty look* Studs have definitely been in Technic holes in this house. We'll have to knock that on the head...

And thanks, I just found that in the useful threads masterpost!
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, so one stud into a technic hole is OK, more than one *from the same brick* is said to grip too tightly to remove or something so becomes illegal.  Even with one stud, when this is done the brick extends 0.12mm higher than the top of the technic brick, so anything attached can be held out of place by this distance if it extends over the 'side on' brick.
    Illegal goes out the window when you are making a MOC.  It's up to you afterall, but it might lead to failure of the parts after a while.
    Studs have definitely been in Technic holes in this house.
    Also, if that is not a euphemism it should be.

Finally, do you think we have commented enough that @Shib will notice yet?
    Every so often I like to contribute a new euphemism to the language. :D

And yeah, the "no multiple studs in holes" thing makes sense; I see from the document that they're thinking both of strain and the fact that in the end it's a toy; if kids can't separate the parts easily then that's a problem. I'd mostly be worried about straining old-style studded Technic beams, since that's what we mainly use, and the aftermarket price has been creeping up with scarcity. 

I felt slightly bad about veering off-topic, but then I realised the thread had reached the end of its natural life. ;)
    edited March 2016
    ^yeah, it's fine, it just needs a winner announcment and then it's done anyway, so it's just an AOL chatroom now.  We're all good until @Pitfall69 arrives with his testicles and/or someone talks about space skulls and @SumoLego finds it on search.  Then we will be so far off-topic, the topic will look like a tiny speck in the distance.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    Personally I like the cascading dress by @catwrangler.
    catwranglerkiki180703
    ^I love the idea but for me it (only) just doesn't work at that scale.  If it was slightly bigger with more shields it would be epic!
    catwrangler
    Don't worry folks, I've not forgotten you. I want to be able to put a full post with details with next contest. Will prob be about 6 oclockish
    MattsWhatcatwranglerkiki180703
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    I actually really like @MattsWhat's kite. Though there's only one shield, there's a lot of scope for expanding the idea and having a bunch of colourful and differently-shaped kites.
    MattsWhatcatwranglerkiki180703
    MattsWhat said:
    ^I love the idea but for me it (only) just doesn't work at that scale.  If it was slightly bigger with more shields it would be epic!
    I reckon you'll get your wish, because it's been one of those annoying/interesting build experiences that makes you want to go back to it - an earlier version mostly used traditional small shields, which looked better in terms of the patchwork effect, but wouldn't stay on - there are some interesting issues once you get a lot of them close together on the same level, because at a certain point the existing shields get in the way of placing new ones. I want to tentatively say that must be fixable, but that may be my boundless optimism talking. :P

I ran across a charity shop crate in the attic which I'd forgotten had a lot of Fantasy and Kingdoms-era stuff, so I'm going to rifle it for shields and try out some more techniques. Might also be worth borrowing from how people tesselate and overlap different pieces for medieval roof-building...
    MattsWhattallblocktoo
    edited March 2016
    ^I am excited for that.  For reference, the small shield handle fits over another shield and sits in place quite nicely - meaning you only need to attach the bottom one in a run of several (if you can understand what I mean).  I also think the use of robot arms is going to come in useful.
    If you have a look at the flower I made, I ended up using torsos because it made me laugh, but I tried using flexible tubing (I think from pneumatic sets) which fits under the handles (sort of) and could be used to create circles of shields.  I gave up in the end as I was trying to make something too small and the tubing just kept popping straight, but that might be worth considering too.  I didn't want to cut my tubing, but if you are brave then minifig hands fit in tubing and grip shields.  With enough tubing cut to lots of lengths you could really create something amazing.  I don't have anywhere near the required amount of shields as they don't really come in Star Wars and SH sets :(
    Ooh, those ideas are both game-changers - thank you! 

I liked the torso thing; it's fun but it also sort of works for a flower's structure. I had wondered about looping something through the gap behind the handle on the teardrop shields, but Lego chains were the only thing to come to mind, and the stud on each end got in the way. I think I'd be wary of cutting the pneumatic tubing too - though theoretically, there might be things one could do with fishing nets; I saw a tutorial about roof tiling somewhere that made use of those...
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    MattsWhat said:
    There is a pdf with all the legal and illegal stuff in, @TigerMoth is around and he will know.
    Wha... No he isn't, but...  Somebody called?

For those who haven't found it:

http://bramlambrecht.com/tmp/jamieberard-brickstress-bf06.pdf
    I'd mostly be worried about straining old-style studded Technic beams
    I wouldn't. If you're talking about the bricks as opposed to them beams, I suspect the former are actually stronger. But the real point is that studs in holes wouldn't be legal (which they are) if they stressed the element sufficiently to cause damage. Getting a 1x12 brick out of the side of a Technic 1x16, might require a bit more in the muscle department than the average child might have, but I doubt the presence of a stud in a hole (or a dozen) is going to break the Technic brick. The real stress would come when you try to separate them - and then you might snap something.
    MattsWhat said:
    We're all good until @Pitfall69 arrives with his testicles.
    Spoilsport! It would be a lot more fun if he arrived without them - possibly with a pained expression on his face.
    Well, that's reassuring - thanks, @TigerMoth!