Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Friends Direct to Consumer Set?

LegoPegasister2015LegoPegasister2015 Westchester, NYMember Posts: 132
I don't have any proof on this that this would actually happen, but as other, previously untouched themes got one (Ninjago got the Temple of Airjitzu last Fall, while Minecraft's getting a Village later this year, also note the Haunted House, Ghostbusters HQ, Helicarrier etc) I don't feel like getting a $200, retail-exclusive Friends set would be too far off given how big a hit the theme is.

I don't really know a set that can withhold that kind of honor, but looking at the canon map I think "City Hall" could have this opportunity.

Comments

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,707
    It's definitely a tough call on what could make a good LEGO Friends D2C set, but it's certainly a possibility that could be interesting. It might still be some time before we see something like this, though. LEGO is still fairly new to having a successful girl-oriented theme, after all, and AFOL/TFOL-oriented exclusives are a more niche market than regular KFOL-oriented sets.

Also, I feel like the AFOL/TFOL market might be a little bit less segmented than the KFOL market, so a mini-doll D2C set might be risky. Presently, I think most AFOLs and TFOLs are still people who grew up in the era of classic minifigures. Unlike LEGO Friends, which exists in large part to court an audience that never really took a shine to previous LEGO themes, products aimed at AFOLs and TFOLs often cater to people who enjoyed LEGO as kids and seek to offer an enhanced version of the kinds of sets those fans might have enjoyed. Once more kids who grew up enjoying LEGO Friends have become AFOLs or TFOLs, a big D2C set for these themes would become a much safer bet.

A LEGO Friends train could be one cool possibility. But I have a feeling that if LEGO wanted to do that, they might prefer to do that as a regular KFOL-oriented retail set and not a TFOL/AFOL-oriented D2C set. A museum is another possibility.
    LegoPegasister2015
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,258
    Here's the lineup so far - 

75159 The Death Star
    75144 Snowspeeder
    75098 Assault on Hoth
    75257 Ghostbusters Firehouse HQ
    76052 Classic TV Series Batcave
    71040 [Minifigures]
    21128 The Village
    10251 Brick Bank
    10253 Big Ben

Dunno if there's space for it - and even still, what would a Friends D2C be?
    Huw
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 232
    Thanks, CM4S.  Do we have any clue what in the blazes a "Minifigures" D2C set would be?  Top 100 minifigs in a bundle?
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,349
    I wonder if the minifigure set s some sort of model that actually houses all the CMF released to date? A mega display sort of thing?

as for friends, I think it will get there, we have seen plenty of sizeable sets of late and I expect so sort of large set won't be far off, given the friends have been to the beach, jungle, rock world and a heap inbetween it could be based on anything.

wow, 9 D2C sets in a year, that seems like a lot.
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,497
    I  think it could just be a set to go with the Disney  minifigures  like simpsons  house
  • LegoPegasister2015LegoPegasister2015 Westchester, NYMember Posts: 132
    Thanks, CM4S.  Do we have any clue what in the blazes a "Minifigures" D2C set would be?  Top 100 minifigs in a bundle?
    That's just a placeholder for the next Simpsons set, rumored to be The Android's Dungeon. The Simpsons theme is essentially a branch of Minifigures, using the same category of Set Numbers as it was initially released as a line of CMF's.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 753
    What's The Village?
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,815
    Jern92 said:
    What's The Village?
    It's for Minecraft. I don't know enough about Minecraft to know of any specific meaning.
    http://brickset.com/sets/21128
    Numbers only autolink with # immediately in front of them.
    Architecture had been my first guess, but those have 210xx numbers.
    edited February 2016
    I'd heard of those as exclusives, the term in a LEGO context is new to me. Well, I'm new to being a serious LEGO fan.

Would a Friends set be a continuation of an existing subtheme? For Pop Star, I can't come up with anything different, but rather a bigger stage with more set pieces and backing musicians compared to #41105.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,926
    That's just a placeholder for the next Simpsons set, rumored to be The Android's Dungeon. The Simpsons theme is essentially a branch of Minifigures, using the same category of Set Numbers as it was initially released as a line of CMF's.

If the Simpsons theme is essentially a branch of mini figures, and Disney minifigures are coming out this summer... Wouldn't that mean if Lego happened to do a set just for Disney minifigs, it would also have a minifig label?  Any chance the minifig  one could be targeted towards that?
    I'm pretty sure there's no Simpsons LEGO at all in 2016. I wasn't told anything about that store and J2G says there's nothing too.
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 757
    edited February 2016
    Man it would be awesome if out of the blue they made Futurama's ship.

If they make a Friend's d2c I hope it's a concert hall. Maybe a stadium.
    KingAlanImatticus_bricks
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,857
    edited February 2016
    oh i hope that is a new Simpsons set. I'd love to have more of this lego theme.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    It has been rumoured to be a number of things. I don't see it being a Simpsons set, not without backup in another CMF series at the same time. Much as I'd like it to be another Simpsons set.

Pumpkin_3CK5 said:
    Yeah, a whole concert venue would be an improvement over my idea for a bigger stage.
    KingAlanI said:
    Pumpkin_3CK5 said:
    Yeah, a whole concert venue would be an improvement over my idea for a bigger stage.
    I think the tricky thing about a full concert hall or stadium is that both those subjects are characterized by a lot of seats, and that means you'd need a lot of figures to fill those seats to keep it from looking deserted.
    madforLEGOkiki180703KingAlanI
    what is the description of a "Direct to Consumer Set?"
    what makes a set get that marker?

$150+ sets sold only in LEGO Stores.

A mall would be amazing but they already made one.
    CM4S said:

$150+ sets sold only in LEGO Stores.

A mall would be amazing but they already made one.
    Technically it's not even just the expensive sets that qualify as D2C sets. Things like seasonal sets, LEGO Store exclusive polybags, etc. also qualify. Basically it's anything LEGO sells themselves and (usually) doesn't send to outside retailers.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,375
    I asked a designer last year about the possibility of a Friends D2C set, and (IIRC) they said that basically, the line was probably still a bit too young to support it. Those who got Friends sets when they first came out are still too young a demographic to really support a D2C set, but that it could happen in a few years time when that demographic is older.

That's the jist as I remember the discussion 6 months ago. Details may have been slightly different.
    Aanchirkiki180703
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 757
    edited February 2016
    Aanchir said:
    KingAlanI said:
    I think the tricky thing about a full concert hall or stadium is that both those subjects are characterized by a lot of seats, and that means you'd need a lot of figures to fill those seats to keep it from looking deserted.
     They can just include their regular 10 - 11 minidolls. And if Lego made one, judging from the size of their previous sets, it's probably gonna be 200 seats, if that. Just a speculation, since I don't think they've made any concert halls before. Closest thing to that is set #41105, and that's just a stage!
    A concert hall would probably be 10-15 seats. How many people go on Lego trains or to the Lego cinema or hotel.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    I asked a designer last year about the possibility of a Friends D2C set, and (IIRC) they said that basically, the line was probably still a bit too young to support it. Those who got Friends sets when they first came out are still too young a demographic to really support a D2C set, but that it could happen in a few years time when that demographic is older.

That's the jist as I remember the discussion 6 months ago. Details may have been slightly different.

But by that measure they wouldn't ever make one. There are very few female afols (my assumption is that you have to have a male engineeringy type brain to find lego enjoyable, meaning women engineers are about as rare as female afols.) so the demographic of afols who previously played with friends sets and are coming back to them would be minute. Would lego bother producing a set for that market, probably not. Does the fact that the hotel can be had so much under retail show it hasn't done too well? I'm not going to hold my breath for anything larger. 
    Ok, it probably won't happen.
    But lots of minis to fill the seats is part of the idea.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 647
    I believe the "Friends audience" will grow up and in the future there may be a lot more female AFOLs than right now because there are more female KFOLs than ever before. But I don't think a Friends D2C set is likely anytime in the next few years, as I can't really see too many 16 year old girls wanting to buy large collectable toys. 
    Natebw
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 647
    edited February 2016
    ^ I completely agree with you! It's not a matter of having a "male engineering mind" that determines whether girls will retain a lifelong passion for Lego, it's a matter of society's expectations making an impression. I think generally because of societal expectations Lego was once (and probably still by a lot of people unaware of TLG's girl-targeted products) thought to be a "boy toy" which is probably why there aren't as many girls who've gotten into the hobby. 

Teenage girls definitely have other priorities and, unfortunately have a lot more to lose than boys in being classified as a "geek" who collects toys. Stereotypes might make it more difficult for girls to ever leave the "dark ages."
    catwrangler
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 477
    I have lots of happy childhood memories of playing with Lego. This may be because I have a male-type engineery mind, despite being female, but I'm more inclined to think it's because Lego is a great toy and fun to play with. Even if there may be relatively few middle-aged women with memories like mine, I don't see why enough mothers of current KFOLs (especially mothers of girls who are crazy about Friends) or wives of male AFOLs couldn't themselves become interested enough in Lego to be a sizable potential market for a direct-to-customer set.
    bluemodernSumoLegocatwrangler
    Friends gets some crap from feminists for pushing gender stereotypes, but don't stereotypes have a grain of truth sometimes? Does the theme serve as a gateway to LEGO in general?
    #3933 Olivia's Invention Workshop and #41116 Olivia's Exploration Car, pastel science equipment, seems like an interesting middle ground?
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,490
    I think you definitely need to join Brickish @MattsWhat then you'll see that female AFOLs are certainly not a rare species! 

PS another female here who definitely dies not have an "engineery" mind! 

I would like a larger school set.  I think that would work as a D2C.  
    catwranglerhkcrazy88BOBJACK_JACKBOBkiki180703
    I think you definitely need to join Brickish @MattsWhat then you'll see that female AFOLs are certainly not a rare species! 

PS another female here who definitely dies not have an "engineery" mind! 

I would like a larger school set.  I think that would work as a D2C.  
    on the topic of school houses.
    i would like to see The Simpsons High School as a lego set.
    and any new parts could also be used in a friends school set.
    edited February 2016
    Woah, lit a touch paper there and then had to fix the kitchen sink so only just caught up with it all (a very manly role I might add ;)).  I am sorry if anyone was upset by what I said and it was in no way being unfriendly to the females at all - if you read it like that then I can't apologise enough.  I would like to point out that a 'boy brain' is different, it is definitely not better than a 'girl brain' - that wasn't my point at all and I do feel like I need to clarify though so bear with me...

Male and female brains are completely different, they are from before birth and this has been shown to be the case in numerous studies.  The male brain has been shown to more effectively deal with engineering/puzzle type situations - even in small children they have shown this need to know how things work is markedly different between the sexes.  Now using the word male here is probably a little bit wrong, afterall it clearly isn't just males, but a brain that sits more at the male end of the spectrum of brains.  Interestingly, they have also shown that a male brain is worse at things related to empathy and social situations - this is even stated as a reason that far more males are diagnosed with autism (when clearly it should have more equal numbers).  I used male engineery type brain a bit flippantly I admit, as the term systemising (and the opposite being empathising) is a more correct way of saying it.

Anyway, everyone also leapt on the fact that Lego has been made for boys in the past, and although I strongly disagree with the idea of making toys just for one sex, clearly the marketing, market research etc of Lego and a lot of other toys has shown that construction toys are more enjoyed by 'boy type' brains.  You can argue that this is what we make our children play with, but pshychologists have been aware of this for many years and despite their best efforts, this does appear to be the case regardless of what society is doing (in fact even monkeys have been shown to choose the 'correct' toy when given boy and girl options, essentially proving it is not decided by society).

Now, if we also add to those established ideas that there are a lot more male afols than females (surely no one can argue with that) even though around 50% of females will have had a male child in their household (assuming the majority of people have siblings) and will have been exposed to these toys as stated by people above. It clearly points towards male afols continuing to be in the majority despite Lego marketing at girls more recently.

We can look at other toys if we want to, how many women collect things they did play with as children? Loads I'd wager, but I'd still put good money on their being more men with star wars figures, mechano, transformers etc in their adult lives than their are women with barbie, my little pony etc toys.  My assumption here is that the need to be a collector of objects comes more easily to a 'male type' brain, and even more so if your brain lies at the extreme end of the male spectrum (think ASD).

And yes, it's my opinion (and I could be completely wrong), but it is based on observations and isn't aimed at being sexist or anything like that - if men and women were the same it would make life very dull indeed.  The point is that, given how few sets are made for afols generally (and I know this is increasing) I'm not convinced that Lego would want to aim a set at what is (and in my opinion) will remain to be the small part of a small target market - it doesn't make business sense.

Again, I apologise to anyone that read my original post and was upset that I was slamming being female (or having a female brain) and/or accusing the women around here of having male brains.
    LegoPegasister2015pharmjoddougtsoldtodd33bricktuarykiki180703
    Aanchir said:

I think the bigger reason for the gender disparity in the AFOL community that before LEGO Friends, girls just didn't tend to grow up loving LEGO to the same degree or in the same numbers as boys did. Adults aren't likely to flock to a children's toy that never meant much to them as a child. But now those KFOL gender disparities have lessened — unlike previous girl-oriented themes which were never very successful, Friends has become one of the LEGO Group's top themes. Consequently, once the girls who grow up loving LEGO have grown up into women, I think they'll be just as likely to become AFOLs as boys who grew up loving LEGO.

And finally, in a reply to @Aanchir - I have wondered for a long time if boys and girls enjoy their lego in the same way.  My boys continually rebuild there sets, it's almost all about the building (they may well get this from me).  Whereas the girls we encounter through school etc. tend to build once and then role play in the environment for far longer.  Just my experiences, but interesting - and something that may well impact on how likely they are to return to Lego over other toys (or at all) as an adult
    There are many boys that build once and leave it built too.

From what I see as girls turn to women, then they want to try to turn their own girls away from pink even if there is massive peer pressure to have everything in pink. I wonder what is more appealing to a female AFOL. A friends set in friends colours, or exactly the same set in regular city colours. So if you converted say PR or PC into pastels but kept everything else the same, what would women (or older girls) tend to go for? Even without the minidoll issue.

• mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    edited February 2016
    I think that's a really good question, @CCC. I know personally, I'd rather have sets in regular colors. Though the Friends colors are pretty and unique, unless you live on some tropical island or quirky town you generally don't stroll downtown and see pink and orange shops. Though I did build two modulars in Friends colors, (Market Street in lavender and the GG in azure) if they were all in pastels... I'm not sure. 

But I'm glad that those colors exist, because I threw a bunch of them in my classroom's Lego tub, and the boys really like them (my class is all boys, I can't speak to the 13 year-old girl experience in my classroom because it doesn't exist this school year and this year's class is the only one that has preferred indoor toys to outside time).

Additionally @MattsWhat, I think I took umbrage more with the implication that only males could have "engineery brains" or the smarts/skillsets that come along with that. You've cleared that up, pretty much.
    edited February 2016

Additionally @MattsWhat, I think I took umbrage more with the implication that only males could have "engineery brains" or the smarts/skillsets that come along with that. You've cleared that up, pretty much.
    I'm really sorry it came across like this, it wasn't intended at all.  The way your brain works has nothing to do with how intelligent you are, not even close (and let's not get onto multiple intelligences!).  It's not an agreed science by any means, but it does explain the very general trends in the interests of men and women, and why we have sayings like men can't multitask etc.
    It also explains why men generally seem to focus on collecting things more avidly than women - like the need to have every one of something to the point of getting the ones you don't even like (and then have them sorted neatly into some system in a cupboard). Rather than just having the ones you like and having them on display.  Again, a huge generalisation, but one that people around here demonstrate aptly.  (And for the record I don't mean that women just get the pretty ones to look at (especially ones with kittens) or that any way of collecting is right or wrong).

P.s. collecting modulars and not having Market Street is wrong - so I lied when I said no way of collecting was wrong ;)
    pharmjodmr.pigglesBrickDancer
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,344
    There is some irony at TLG being criticised for tailoring their product to a particular gender, in an effort to broaden a product that has traditionally not done well with that gender.

Further...where the product has been loosely tied to promoting the other gender's disproportionate involvement in the science and engineering.

And in a completely non-related thought, how are those Barbie-themed MegaBloks doing?
    KingAlanI
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,344
    I recall watching a 'Shark Tank' where female engineers who designed a building product 'for girls' were complimented and commended for their efforts.

http://www.roominatetoy.com

The only problem with the product is that it doesn't work, isn't fun to build and there is a much better product that offers more choice...

There is a certain point where interest groups can't see past their own noses, miss the forest for the trees and step over dollars to pick up pennies.
    dougtsVorpalRyu
    SumoLego said:
    I recall watching a 'Shark Tank' where female engineers who designed a building product 'for girls' were complimented and commended for their efforts.

http://www.roominatetoy.com

The only problem with the product is that it doesn't work, isn't fun to build and there is a much better product that offers more choice...

There is a certain point where interest groups can't see past their own noses, miss the forest for the trees and step over dollars to pick up pennies.
    why dose roominate look like a bad late 90's lego Znap clone Or k'nex Clone?
    Nature/nurture.

I think it is hard to make male/female generalizations without accounting for the impact both marketing has and the genderization of toys has.

If a girl never is given a building set, and only dolls then what is that impact?

If society through marketing/media shows girls as complacent or that science/math is nerdy and not for them, then how large of an impact does that have on a generation of girls?

I think we need to be very careful with assumptions about male/female. It does not mean there are not 'nature' differences, but the 'nurture' differences in the areas mentioned above have had a wide impact.

Luckily today with the focus on STEM, toys like Friends, and 'geek' being cool, I think the chances of young girls going into STEM fields are probably higher today than before. 

As as for toys like roominate or goldieblox, I am not a fan. Now... Something like a Lilypad arduino... What a cool way to mix crafting and electronics. 

catwranglerSumoLegokiki180703
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,200
    you should love it, it's got a hot-dog
    @MattsWhat has a point that there are some differences in general on averag, though it's hard to separate that from social pressure starting young.

Stereotypes can be lazy targeted marketing. Losing boy customers is a risk of girl focused marketing of regular products. That isn't right but it's out of a particular company's control.

Funny @eggshen should mention GoldieBlox, that seems to do a better job of doing what Roominate is trying to do (a girl focused building toy system rather than a girl focused line in a larger system)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    I think the other thing to consider for the future of the AFOL community is that adult men tend to engage in "play" behavior at a much higher rate than women do.  Not just LEGO:  video games, comic collections, tabletop gaming, Fantasy sports, etc.  Sure, more women are getting involved these days in those things as well, but I don't think it's anywhere near parity and I question if it ever will be.

Even if the KFOL number even out over the next decade or two, I'm not convinced that it will mean a similar evening out of AFOL numbers.  Women tend to "grow up" and engage in more adult hobbies, while men continue to enjoy acting like children.  ;-)
    mr.pigglespharmjodkiki180703
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,200
    eggshen said:

Sorry for the long reply, this is just a topic that hits close to home for me, having seen so many very intelligent women I have known in my family and at school get shoeboxed into being a "mom" and having to love shoes because that is what society expects of them.
    girls don't naturally love shoes?? oO
    edited February 2016
    ^ No. They do not naturally love shoes.
    JennibluemodernMegtheCatherekittykitty
    dougts said:
    I think the other thing to consider for the future of the AFOL community is that adult men tend to engage in "play" behavior at a much higher rate than women do.  Not just LEGO:  video games, comic collections, tabletop gaming, Fantasy sports, etc.  Sure, more women are getting involved these days in those things as well, but I don't think it's anywhere near parity and I question if it ever will be.

Even if the KFOL number even out over the next decade or two, I'm not convinced that it will mean a similar evening out of AFOL numbers.  Women tend to "grow up" and engage in more adult hobbies, while men continue to enjoy acting like children.  ;-)
    But you have to wonder, how much of that tendency for women to "grow up" and let go of their childhood interests also comes from societal pressures? Just a few decades ago, men and women alike faced a lot of pressure to "grow up". Nowadays, that's started to change. Things like Disney animated movies, superhero comics, LEGO building, and video games are gaining respectability as all-ages entertainment. But three or four decades ago they didn't have that same veneer of respectability. And every now and then you still get a crotchety old journalist complaining about the "infantilization" of society (I saw a fair amount of this in 2014 after the runaway success of The LEGO Movie).

And yet there are still some irritating tendencies in society to treat things young boys like as acceptable for men and women of all ages, but treat things young girls like as only acceptable for young girls. Those tendencies are starting to erode, but they still exist to an extent. I've seen way more raised eyebrows about adult men and women enjoying My Little Pony than about adult men and women enjoying Transformers. If society infantilizes "girly" play, storytelling, and design while celebrating "boyish" play, storytelling, and design, guess which of those kids are going to be in the biggest hurry to "grow out of"?
    catwranglerLegoPegasister2015tamamahmLyichirJennimatticus_brickskiki180703TechnicNick
    tamamahm said:
    ^ No. They do not naturally love shoes.
    Which makes collecting them even worse :-)

SumoLegokiki180703