Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Thanks USPS You know how to make a problem better ;)

Thecollector123Thecollector123 United States Member Posts: 67
so I ordered a HUGE bricklink order with thousands of pieces and usps opened it up and mixed all the pieces around. All the pieces are dirty and scratched from there machines but I found this little beauty in those pieces after I washed them. Yes, this is a smashed 1x2 #awesome

Comments

• OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 265
    wow, it takes a lot of force to do this to a 1x2!
    Jackad7
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,925
    Why would usps open your package?
  • Thecollector123Thecollector123 United States Member Posts: 67
    @tamamahm I don't know!!!
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 971
    how much did the package weigh? Some times they open because the box exceeds the box seal weight limit
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,089
    edited January 2016
    Yeah, no offense but there seems to be more to this story. Also was this a padded envelope or a actual box the parts were shipped in? If a large order I would say no seller should be using a padded envelope or stuff like this can happen.
    But in the end it is also why for large orders I request insurance (though one could argue that no matter where you buy from the seller is always liable for the package to arrive on time and safely)
    I'm not saying the USPS agents are saints by any means, but the way something is shipped often causes the issue more than the folks working at USPS IMO.
    dougtskiki180703gelkster
    @madforLEGO for your information it was not a padded envelope. It was a 2ftx2ftx2ft box. We do have insurance on the order. We had to have the postmaster sign a sheet of paper which we are supposed to mail to the seller.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,089
    @madforLEGO for your information it was not a padded envelope. It was a 2ftx2ftx2ft box. We do have insurance on the order. We had to have the postmaster sign a sheet of paper which we are supposed to mail to the seller.
    Ok, again please take no offense as you did not mention that in your OP. In my experience, I have had damaged parcels but were either not packed properly (not using a good-or enough- tape, the tape does not adhere to the box well, or the box is so old it crushes easily) or not even using a box (once had destroyed parcel that was a bubble wrapped item in brown shipping paper.. really.. no shipping box). Did the PO tell you they opened the box, or did the box pop open due to poor packing? I really doubt the PO opened the box on purpose and then scratched up or dirtied parts, that indicates to me the box contents spilled out on the floor and they had to pick them up (and lets face it, the PO are not AFOLs and are going to pick up the parts as fast as they can to tidy the place up).

In any case, it is a good thing you got the insurance on the order so you can either get reimbursed or they can send you more parts.

@madforLEGO we are pretty sure they opened it because it said "we care" all over the box and it was stuck in New York for 5 days
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 278
    When they have the 'we care' on you package, it usually means that it was damaged in transit or possibly by machinery.
    madforLEGOPitfall69kiki180703natro220KingAlanI
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 971
    edited January 2016
    It is sounding like the original box was destroyed and then repacked.  A 24 cubed box seems like a huge box for Lego.  I have seen UPS and USPS place the entire contents, damaged box and all into a new box.  They do that with torn envelopes, too, by placing the damaged one in a new envelope.
    madforLEGOkiki180703
    @ryjay that is possible. @devilhead I'm guessing it was damaged by machinery because I don't think Lego can let pieces like that go into sets. Also I found some more damaged pieces.ni will post pictures later.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    This is why insurance exists.
    SumoLegoPitfall69kiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 10,885
    Getting reimbursed $0.01 for a flattened 1x2 platell is well worth the aggravation of filling out the paperwork...
    Jackad7
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Well, I was assuming it was more than that one piece, referring to the fact that he said he had a HUGE (in caps!) order that was all filthy and damaged.  He should contact the seller to make everything right.
    madforLEGOkiki180703KingAlanI
    @TheLoneTensor yes I have found a few more goodies such as a one by two plate with curved stud. I will post a picture later.
    And just so you guys know what HUGE means in parts it is 10,000+ pieces
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,024
    Must have weighed quite a bit. Sounds like a case of inadequate packaging.
    madforLEGOPitfall69kiki180703
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,925
    Ok. Reading the above, this makes more sense now. It sounds like either 
    a) poor packaging 
    or
    b) USPS machinery issue
    or both

which led to the box being damaged and contents spilling/coming out of the box.

Considering the  smashed pieces, it sounds like something happened somewhere on the USPS side, but it is not possible to tell where the fault on that lies.

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,871
    Got a letter once from usps that a package I sent (bionicle pohatu) was destroyed in a fire following a crash. Driver was ok. Pretty crazy.bletter came about 4 months later.
    @prevere Wow. Burned in a car crash. Glad the driver is ok. Never heard of a packaged getting burned.
  • FlanBrosIncFlanBrosInc USMember Posts: 36
    I work at FedEx, honestly it's surprising things like this don't happen more often. The abuse and lack of sanitation is pretty astonishing. 
    VorpalRyukiki180703
    Lack of sanitation?  Are people sending themselves filth in the mail?
    VorpalRyukiki180703Jackad7
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,993
    I work at FedEx, honestly it's surprising things like this don't happen more often. The abuse and lack of sanitation is pretty astonishing. 
    SumoLego said:
    Lack of sanitation?  Are people sending themselves filth in the mail?
    I wonder why sometimes my packages are wet, yet there was no rain ;)
    VorpalRyukiki180703SumoLegoOldfanbandit778Jackad7
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,100
    Ick, ick & more ICK!!!!
    xiahna
    Some more pieces for your enjoyment
    SumoLegokiki180703
    edited February 2016
    I blame the 5th Elephant.  The box must have had packing peanuts.

^Rimshot, Rimshot, Rimshot^

http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/414097/#Comment_414097
    matticus_brickskiki180703brumeyVorpalRyu

Pitfall69 said:
    I wonder why sometimes my packages are wet, yet there was no rain ;)
    It's because your life was pretty plain.  

And I think I spoke too soon - it wasn't the 5th Elephant, it was the Bee Girl!

^Rimshot, Pat on the back for an obscure Blind Melon reference, Rimshot^
    ricecakekiki180703VorpalRyu
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^the last post in this thread was 4 days ago, have you been awake the whole coming up with those or did you get some sleep?
    ;)
    Hey, hey, I can't read everything all of the time.  

(My team of writers had a few days off.  But never again!)
    MattsWhatbandit778kiki180703VorpalRyu
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,411
    at least now you have a unique "custom" piece! ;)
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    I use USPS a lot and recently sent a USPS box containing a white binder that was delivered flattened at the other end. The box had huge truck tire marks on it and was pretty black. I could not believe that they delivered such a remnant. Fortunately for us all I had to do was reprint the report, put it another binder and resend it costing me 10US in freight and about an hour of time including a trip to the post office. I don't understand why they even tried delivering such a destroyed box. 

With over a thousand bricklink purchases, only one or two arrived by post with damage. One was a small box that the Canadian PO ran over and smashed damaging a few not valuable LEGO parts. What surprised me is how many of those LEGO packages have arrived partially open, but will all the LEGO still inside. I use lots of heavy clear mailing tape on any package I send, and that may be why they make it in one piece for the most part. I try to fit the goods to the proper size of box so they are not sliding around and the box does not collapse due to lack of contents. 

With the huge recent increase in USPS rates, it looks like we are going to see fewer BL and LEGO purchases requiring shipment because shipping will cost more than the contents. Today I sent two parcel post boxes of binders containing reports, and it cost almost twice as much as it did a few weeks ago. I was stumped at the price increase.
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 469

I knew the overseas postage went up appallingly; has the cost of domestic shipping for anything over an ounce or two done the same? And what will people do about sending Christmas presents to overseas family or friends? (Throws up her hands in disgust....)

Fortunately I'm only a buyer on BL, so the shipping costs of other countries are what matter to me. Though it's embarrassing that people in Germany, the Netherlands, and Russia can ship entire Lego sets to me for less than I would pay to send them even one polybag or minifigure.

• FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,166
    The best deals are in the US, but the shipping costs aren't worth it, unless you are getting something like 50% off of a large set.
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 485
    Maybe if the package spilled in transit? I would find that quite humurous to see a bunch of postal workers scrambling to pick up a thousand tiny 1x2's 
    No really though I have no clue how they would crush a 1x2. My bed frame had a minor break which dropped my boxspring+mattress(+me at the time) onto an assortment of ships including original grievous wheel chase (#7255) and hailfire droid (#7670) which are both made out of thin plastic disks, neither of them nor any of my other sets sustained any substantial damage (just an afternoon activity of sorting and rebuilding).
    I would seriously like to meet whoever managed to crush a 1x2
    KingAlanI
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,803
    I rarely ever have problems with USPS, let alone anything this bad. Stuff happens, but insurance doesn't seem worth it compared to expected value of damage.

@Jackad7 I also had a bed frame break. I was tired and flopped down too hard, cracking some wood which eventually gave out. The LEGO under my bed is in tubs, or in mosaics not directly underneath. A few photo frames broke, but that only cost a few dollars. I had a spare bedframe which didn't fit the old mattress, but it was about time for a new mattress anyway. The old frame was decades old so I can't blame it.

Jackad7kiki180703