Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Summer 2016 LEGO Architecture (Buckingham Palace & US Capitol Building)

henrysunsethenrysunset Member Posts: 230
edited January 2016 in Collecting

These new sets are great additions to the LEGO Architecture series.  This has been a great year for the LEGO Architecture series, with 6 sets announced so far.  (2011 is the only other year with 6 new sets.)

I just prepared a lengthy preview of both sets with some initial analysis.  That review includes photos of the real buildings as well so you can make your own judgement.  I've shared some of the highlights from the article below...

Buckingham Palace and US Capitol Building LEGO Set boxes. (Photos from promobricks.de)

Buckingham Palace:

Buckingham Palace model as displayed at Nuremberg (photo from promobricks.de)

Upon a closer look, we see a base which is 26 studs wide, 24 studs deep, and about 8 bricks tall, not including the flagpole. (By contrast, The Louvre set has a base which is just 22 studs wide, the same 24 studs deep, and is a little taller at around 12 bricks high.)

As such, my best guess (without attempting to build sections of the model using my own bricks) is that the Buckingham Palace will be 800 bricks and a price of 79.99$

United States Capitol Building:

Perspective view of LEGO US Capitol Building model. (Photo from promobricks.de)

This is a really exciting model with proportions which look like they are very true to the real building.  The high level of detail is really appealing to me, although the over-reliance on part #4070 – 1×1 Brick w/ Headlight may make the build process very repetitive.

By my count, the base is 48 studs wide and 14 studs deep, with the bulk of the model about 6 bricks tall, and the tallest portion is around 17 bricks tall.  I think this will be the second largest set in the LEGO Architecture series, with around 1300 pieces and a price of 129.99$

For more detailed analysis, read the whole article I just posted at brickarchitect.com.

Sincerely,

---Tom Alphin

tallblocktookiki180703pharmjodTXLegoguyricecakegratefulnatAllBrickdutchlegofan50Galactusericb

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,333
    edited January 2016
    Thanks Tom, if they are the prices you quote they'll be a great value!
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 252
    Both look really great. Can't wait to add them to my collection
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 494
    To date I haven't purchased any sets of this theme but I think I might be tempted to get the US Capitol building. Thanks for the reviews.
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 259
    Very happy about these.
    Just love the builds with all the small 1x1 plates and bricks & enjoy taking the time to line them up properly.
    dutchlegofan50
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I value the value in these valuable values. :)
    gratefulnatkiki180703SumoLegoBumblepants
  • henrysunsethenrysunset Member Posts: 230
    I am hopeful that my guesses of set prices are accurate, but admittedly, some of the sets in the Architecture series have been overpriced.  I'm also estimating the costs based on rough guesses of the number of bricks for each model.  The US Capitol could easily contain anywhere from 900 to 1500 bricks depending on the exact design of the model, and the amount of detail on the interior or rear of the building.

As a point of reference, the majority of sets in the series are in the range of 9¢-12¢ per part, which is typical of most LEGO themes.

The sets with the best price per part have been:
    • 21020: Trevi Fountain - 731 pieces, 49.99$ (6.8¢/p) - A very useful selection of parts, but not a lot of large pieces.
    • 21018: UN Headquarters  - 597 pieces, 49.99$ (8.4¢/p) - Another great option to expand your LEGO Architecture Studio set.
    • 21023: Flatiron Building - 471 pieces, 39.99$ (8.5¢/p)
    • 21024: Louvre - 695 pieces, 59.99$ (8.6¢/p)
    • 21013: Big Ben - 346 pieces, 29.99$ (8.7¢/p)
    • 21006: The White House - 560 pieces, 49.99$ (8.9¢/p)

By contrast, the worst were:
    • 21000/21001/21002/21003 - 57 to 77 pieces, 19.99$ (29¢-35¢/p) -  clearly paying a lot for the book and packaging.
    • 21004: Guggenheim - 208 pieces, 39.99$ (19¢/p)
    • 21007: Rockefeller Center - 240 pieces, 39.99$ (17¢/p)
    • 21012: Sydney Opera House - 270 pieces, 39.99$ (15¢/p) - admittedly a lot of larger parts.
    • 21026: Venice - 212 pieces, 29.99$ (14.1¢/p)

---tom
    tallblocktookiki180703
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,547

"As a point of reference, the majority of sets in the series are in the range of 9¢-12¢ per part, which is typical of most LEGO themes."

This is the problem the price per part is the same as other themes but the parts themselves are a lot smaller in Architecture than in any other theme making Architecture sets poor value.

• sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 477
    edited January 2016

The more I look at the US Capitol, the more the main dome bothers me--the shape of the solid part of the dome is way off. Looking down from the air, it's a great model--looking at it in any other way, it's just...wrong. Not that I can think of a way to do it better in Lego parts, mind you.

I like the way they included a sense of the space immediately in front of Buckingham Palace, and the touches of the Routemaster bus and the classic London cab, but it really doesn't grab me and put me in an armlock either. This may be the year I finally buy the Trevi Fountain....

catwrangler
  • henrysunsethenrysunset Member Posts: 230
    @SMC, I totally agree that price per part is an incomplete view of the world, but it is an easy metric to generate.  

That said, a set like new Venice set is clearly overpriced since it uses pretty small/common parts and still costs 14.1¢ per part.

• FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,200
    no minifigs as well. in some licensed sets, people could go as far as considering each fig is worth like 10 €
  • moolermooler MI, USAMember Posts: 29
    edited August 2016
    Any word on when 21030 is going to be released? My wallet is open with anticipation!
    thedingman5
  • GoldJonoGoldJono Aberdeen, UKMember Posts: 203
    They are both being sold in the Lego store in Legoland Billund, I picked them both up on Friday so I would expect them to be available everywhere else on the 1st of September.
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,423
    Black fences and a golden gate on Buckinghame would have been more accurate. Thank God they didn't put the moveable fences around the circus.
  • moolermooler MI, USAMember Posts: 29
    http://kotaku.com/lego-is-about-as-fun-as-the-u-s-capitol-building-is-go-1785280857

Finally! Confirmed September 1 release. $99 is a great price. My wallet is ready and willing!
    tallblocktoothedingman5ericbkiki180703