Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Toy Fairs 2016

Comments

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,887
    I'm hearing news stories on the radio about LEGO including the wheelchair and parents of "differently"abled kids being pretty excited. I think it will do well for LEGO. Honestly, it's one of those things that every company should do periodically whether it is profitable or not just out of good will. LEGO isn't gonna get hurt by it for sure.
    JenniBrickDancerTheLoneTensorLostInTranslationGoldchainscatwranglerRonyarkiki180703
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    @LostInTranslation It's on my wish list.  Not sure I'd get more than one though.  
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,500
    Shib said:
    The one thing that really stops me thinking of it as good value is the knowledge that while those prints are new/rare now they are likely to be used in a lot of City/Creator sets for a long time to come now meaning that they will only become more and more common and theoretically less and less valuable (to me personally) as a result.
    #10686 is actually a good comparison, already one of those unique torso prints has been used for the Brick Bank, I would expect the others to show up in other sets eventually too. Whereas CMF prints tend to stay unique to that figure, some of them might be generic or have very similar prints elsewhere, but its still unique parts.
    This is the same reason why I do not believe the unique CMF parts argument to justify the cost of CMFs as many of those parts eventually go into regular LEGO sets.
    CircleKkiki180703
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,261
    Unless they show up in an Arvo Brothers build before a LEGO set ;-)
    pharmjodkiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,386
    I suppose we are categorizing lighthouses along with extraneous helicopters, landspeeders and sausages that frequent Lego sets?
    wardmgmonkey76Rainstorm26kiki180703
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,868
    SumoLego said:
    I suppose we are categorizing lighthouses along with extraneous helicopters, landspeeders and sausages that frequent Lego sets?
    not yet.
    but there has been a lot in the last 2 years.
    if by this time next year lego has show that it is making 3 more lighthouses then we can place it in that category.
    this is something when you look back at lego set's.
    a lighthouse was a rear item in lego.
    now you can not look at a theme with out seeing one.
    i think that out of the big theme still ongoing only Friends and Nexo Knights dont have one. and Nexo Knights is so new that at this point it don't count. :p
    so any bets that with in the next 2 years Friends will see a lighthouse.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,360
    friends have one
    DougTemplarkiki180703
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,096
    ^friends has a lighthouse. #41094
    DougTemplarkiki180703
    *facepalm*

make that 2 new lighthouses by this time next year.
    did not know about the friends one.
    it like some one in lego said we need more lighthouses. and all the developer teems said now thats a good idea. and did not tell the other teems they was working on one.

SumoLego said:
    And lots of sausages.
    in a sausage role! :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,209
    The wheelchair guy seems to be all over the news now, so lego has got a positive spin there this time. Unlike last time, when they put the wrong figure (an old man!) in a duplo wheelchair.

But what is up with the poor guy in the wheelchair?

He seems to have some form of skin disease.

SumoLegoRainstorm26kiki180703
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Vitiligo aka Michael Jackson-itis.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,540
    ^ Michael Jackson as played by Joseph Fiennes?
    edited January 2016
    CCC said:
    The wheelchair guy seems to be all over the news now, so lego has got a positive spin there this time. Unlike last time, when they put the wrong figure (an old man!) in a duplo wheelchair.

he got pink hands. did some one mess up?
    also. it look like he taking Dad Wheelchair for a Joyride. ( dad being the old Guy next to him.)
    then again the Hat could be hiding that he has no hair.
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 252
    the hotdog bun is also pretty exciting. l don't know why the news doesn't jump all over that.
    pharmjodRonyarkiki180703
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Is it true the set to include the wheelchair is to come with a guide dog too?

Now I've posted I've just noticed the dog in the bottom right.

I've never seen a disabled person in a wheelchair with a guide dog running behind.
    Now I've posted I've just noticed the dog in the bottom right.

I've never seen a disabled person in a wheelchair with a guide dog running behind.
    its a bit of a push to call it a guide dog.
    its a dog.
    if it had a strap linked to it back then it be a Guide dog.
    but it don't.
    so its a normal dog.
    LostInTranslationmadforLEGOAyliffeJern92Dedgeckokiki180703
    ^ I agree 
    chrisalddinkiki180703
    edited January 2016
    I'm thrilled the set is getting lots of coverage though I think it's a bit much for the ToyLikeMe woman to claim it as her victory. This set, with the relevant new mould,  will have been in the production pipeline way before she started her petition 7 months ago. I'm also anticipating the inevitable complaints that putting the wheelchair in a £35 set is somehow discriminatory. 
    Is it true the set to include the wheelchair is to come with a guide dog too?

I guess that's just wishful thinking from the guys who ranted about the absence of disabled minifigs. it's just a dog, you can pretend it's a guide dog if you wish.
    edited January 2016
    Right got ya.

I thought this when i read ''assistant dog'' in the article.

LostInTranslationchrisalddinbandit778AdzbadboyGoldchainskiki180703canon03
    edited January 2016
    I'm thrilled the set is getting lots of coverage though I think it's a bit much for the ToyLikeMe woman to claim it as her victory. This set, with the relevant new mould,  will have been in the production pipeline way before she started her petition 7 months ago. I'm also anticipating the inevitable complaints that putting the wheelchair in a £35 set is somehow discriminatory. 
    Everyone wants to credit for things that occur in the world. Just like the group that protested the Jabba's Palace set as insulting to the Muslim community when they thought they won because LEGO was going to discontinue production  (even though it was nearing its end of production time anyway). But this park set is very nice IMO. Many females-in working roles, a lot of kids, some old folks and the baby and guy in the wheelchair.
    gmonkey76kiki180703
    what was the problem with jabba's palace?
    Fauch said:
    Anti Islamic (to a very small minority of Muslims in Austria that probably hadn't even seen it anyway, or indeed the film). 
    gmonkey76kiki180703
    ^ Way too many inappropriate and insensitive comments to be made.  Someone in the display building department must have mixed in some licensed parts!
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Fauch said:
    It resembles the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. In some ways. To some people.

The irony is that the Hagia Sophia was built as an Orthodox Cathedral, became a Roman Catholic one, then the contenious bit, it became a mosque, before finally becoming a museum - but even that was 80 years ago. Now, using it as a place of worship is actually banned.

On top of that, the ugly Jabba was supposed to represent Asians and was therefore racist.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    CCC said:

The character in the wheelchair has fleshie hands because the torso is being reused from a Jurassic World character, the older brother whose name I forget (Zach maybe?). This is nice because it looks like a really useful torso, but previously only available in an expensive set. The hands wil probably be changed to yellow before the set is released. 
    madforLEGOkiki180703
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,026
    edited January 2016
    ^^ makes you wonder why the standard yellow mini figs don't upset anyone who's ever had jaundice. If there is a band wagon to be jumped on and all that.
    gmonkey76kiki180703
    edited January 2016
    (I was referencing fleshy hands and the standard head.)
    CCC said:

The character in the wheelchair has fleshie hands because the torso is being reused from a Jurassic World character, the older brother whose name I forget (Zach maybe?). This is nice because it looks like a really useful torso, but previously only available in an expensive set. The hands wil probably be changed to yellow before the set is released. 
    Yes, I know the hands will be yellow. However, there is no guarantee the torso will be in the set. It is a preliminary show piece, so they could have easily just picked up any civilian torso and used it making the wrong colour hand mistake, or they might be planning to reuse the licensed print one as a new part with yellow hands.
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    ^^ they most likely did not have this torso with yellow hands when they designed it.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,883
    I was told £34.99 for the park set.  Which for 14 minifigs, a new baby, a moulded animal,  a new moulded wheelchair part and a few minibuilds is not really bad value, when one collectible minifigure is £2.49.
    seeing as i view £2.49 a lot to pay for a minifig.
    £34.99. is on the high side.
    as it is, if i see it for under £25 i may pick it up.
    it will be on my watch list.
    I think that park set is going to be out of stock frequently in store and online, especially if it's not one carried by the retailers. For those with modular towns, some support sets are way overdue.
    madforLEGOLostInTranslationkiki180703
    TigerMoth said:
    Fauch said:
    It resembles the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. In some ways. To some people.

The irony is that the Hagia Sophia was built as an Orthodox Cathedral, became a Roman Catholic one, then the contenious bit, it became a mosque, before finally becoming a museum - but even that was 80 years ago. Now, using it as a place of worship is actually banned.

On top of that, the ugly Jabba was supposed to represent Asians and was therefore racist.
    lol, that just reminded me of something :
    http://brickset.com/reviews/set-71010-4
    check the second review lol
    bandit778BlueTacogmonkey76chuckpBumblepantsGalactuskiki180703hkcrazy88
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    I'm excited about the wheelchair, but maybe more excited about the baby.  Finally a neat little baby mini-mini figure.  Combined with the new papoose child in the CMF set we're on a roll!
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,026

^ That review was hilarious.

chuckpkiki180703
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    dragon114 said:
    ^^ they most likely did not have this torso with yellow hands when they designed it.
    I sure hope the designer knows you can pop out Lego hands (not supposed to, but if it's just for a display, come on). Mind you there are some other mistakes at the displays, like the Limo in the private jet set. One of the wheels is the wrong way around.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,958
    I don't think it's the first wheelchair to appear in a Lego set - isn't that one on the front of #45103?  (It's a rather poor rendition, but I can't think what else it's supposed to be!)

There are also wheelchairs in Duplo sets #45010 & #9209 (if you count those!).
    SMCkiki180703
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,514
    Is it just me or with the new baby and wheelchair can a $200 LEGO City Hospital be showing up for 2017?
    LostInTranslationlego007kiki180703
    The second wheelchair is not such a good story.
    edited January 2016
    gmonkey76 said:
    Is it just me or with the new baby and wheelchair can a $200 LEGO City Hospital be showing up for 2017?
    Do not forget the crutches in the CMF for the hurt guy fig, which could easily go into a production set. Yeah, I think a hospital could be on its way, wither mod, or City theme
    gmonkey76LostInTranslationAdzbadboypharmjodlego007kiki180703
    edited January 2016
    prevere said:
    I was told £34.99 for the park set.  Which for 14 minifigs, a new baby, a moulded animal,  a new moulded wheelchair part and a few minibuilds is not really bad value, when one collectible minifigure is £2.49.
    seeing as i view £2.49 a lot to pay for a minifig.
    £34.99. is on the high side.
    as it is, if i see it for under £25 i may pick it up.
    it will be on my watch list.
    I think that park set is going to be out of stock frequently in store and online, especially if it's not one carried by the retailers. For those with modular towns, some support sets are way overdue.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's not in many retailers in the UK.  The way it was "displayed" at the London toy fair was appalling.  Tucked away at the back on a shelf,  very few final minifigures.  When I picked up the wheelchair it was obviously a prototype because it had a red smear of paint or something on it. Not a great impression if you don't look at the minifig display card and understand that this is a new kind of set with great parts. 
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 490
    Makes a change from police stations and fire departments! Or perhaps we could have a doctor's office in the Modular series? (A full-blown hospital would surely be too large.) Anyway, I like this set, and I'll probably buy it. Too many fun elements to let get away!
    LostInTranslationWilliam_Townsleybluedragonkiki180703
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    I don't think it's the first wheelchair to appear in a Lego set - isn't that one on the front of #45103?
    #363 is a few years older than me. :)
    oldtodd33paul_mertonkiki180703bricking
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,827
    CCC said:
    CCC said:

Yes, I know the hands will be yellow. However, there is no guarantee the torso will be in the set. It is a preliminary show piece, so they could have easily just picked up any civilian torso and used it making the wrong colour hand mistake, or they might be planning to reuse the licensed print one as a new part with yellow hands.
    I believe that one of the Airport sets on display included that torso with yellow hands so that is probably a good indication that LEGO will be using that torso with yellow hands in the summer sets.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 805
    edited January 2016
    CCC said:

Anyone knows where the torso from the Grandpa came from? Or is it a new piece? I need it for an MOC.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    Is that Billy Mays pushing the stroller with the baby in it?
    gmonkey76kiki180703