Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Moments of Addiction Realisation

LambringoLambringo Member Posts: 104
edited December 2011 in Collecting
I was just in a local department store checking out the LEGO section and saw a fresh batch of 10231: Shuttle Expeditions on the shelf 15% off. Normally I would laugh at this discounts face, but this set has been tricky to find in Australia, and is never available when a sale is on. After about 5 minutes of wandering around I picked up a box with no damage or markings and headed to the counter. As I was in the line, I remembered that just the night before I had placed a self imposed ban on all LEGO purchases for the next couple of months as I, like most people here had gone a little crazy of late. I had to force my brain to stop calculating how good a deal it was, and that I should maybe get a couple while I still can. I put it back and walked away empty handed, and feeling odd, like I had just missed out on my fix.

I have had a few moments where I have had to reflect about my purchasing decisions, but this was my first one that was effectively mid transaction.

I am lucky enough that I can support my spending, and that the reason I would like to cut back is to have some more funds in the bank for a nice holiday next year. As my partner always say in a nerdy voice when she makes fun of me "I'm just not liquid right now, I'm all tied up in assets".

Just like AA, or NA feel free to share your stories, we feel you.

Comments

• Rollo_TomassiRollo_Tomassi Member Posts: 113
    Ooh. Shuttle Expedition is my next planned purchase!

What were we talking about?
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    I did that at the BN 50% craziness last week. I walked in and out of the store a few times, torn on what I should buy. To anyone that took notice of me I must have looked insane. In the end I forced myself to pick two sets and put the other 8 or so back that I would have liked.

The logical part of me said that I simply don't have money for this. The bargain hunter in me was screaming that I might never see another straight-up 50% off sale on Lego again. It was so hard to walk away without a huge haul.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,540
    I have hit this realization before, then forgot...lol.
    I think I hit mine again tonight when trying to shoehorn more shipping boxes into my place.... That and my apartment complex manager being amazed at the number of boxes I got tonight (mostly cause TRU likes to ship one LEGO box in a HUGE shipping box)
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I know I'm a bit hooked on this, but I'm getting smarter about how I buy.

I used to buy right when a set came out, but that is expensive. Bought the Maersk train when it first launched, only to see it on sale on Amazon now for $20 less. I still haven't built the first one I bought.

So the moral of the story is that I'm being trained (no pun intended) to only buy Lego on sale, never at full price. :)
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I come from a family of collectors. My entire life different members have gone very deep into certain collecting habits. So that is somewhat ingrained in me. I try to balance it by being very selective about what I buy in terms of price. I buy things that I feel I could make back my money on if I HAD to sell it.

This time of year, with all the sales, I have been buying A LOT of LEGO. But... this is just how I have always operated, and ensure that I am not risking anything significant financially.

I used to be into high end audio. Now THERE is an addictive hobby, and dramatically more expensive than LEGO!

Thanks.
    -Dan
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I'm getting smarter about how I buy
    Buying on sale, but buying 5 times as much is not necessarily smarter
    (pot calling the kettle black here)

On the main point though, the difference between being an enthusiast and being addicted is a very fine line, and partly in the eye of the beholder. The differentiator used for other additions is whether it negatively impacts 'normal' life or not.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    What is "normal"? :)

Isn't it normal to have Lego boxes in your closet, your bedroom floor, your family room, your living room, and in-between? :)

Sigh...
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    I realised I'd crossed over when, like @LegoFanTexas that buying when it comes out can be costly (especially here in Oz) but the point came when I started not only ejoying buying the set at a reduced price, thus (slightly) beating the system - but also the actual hunt for the bargain itself. That was I knew I was on a downward spiral, I mean what's the point of findin it cheap if you don't follow it through wiht the purchase hehe.
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    I realized I was addicted when I have to buy a large cup of Lego bricks from the pick a brick wall every time I visit the dang mall!!
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    When you wake up naked in a pile of LEGO bricks with stud marks all down your arm, surrounded by a pile of MISB sets, with no recollection of how you got there, and your first thought is "wonder what's on the Amazon Bargain Watch page today?".
  • DaddyWhaleDaddyWhale Member Posts: 130
    Do any of you work/live right next to a LEGO store? My office is a couple of blocks from the Rockefeller Center one in NYC. So inviting, especially during Christmas time.
  • LambringoLambringo Member Posts: 104
    ^maximum lol
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    @atkinsar .. whys that not normal? I dont get it.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,897
    When you dream in Lego. Or everything you see in 'real life' gets related to lego eg Would this jacket be light or dark tan, that ladies hair is exactly like piece ...'.

If the spending starts to effect your financial stability, or ability to eat/pay bills. Then it's a problem (not speaking from experience. Seriously).
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^ I referred to a friend's top as 'Maersk Blue' the other day.
    I also regularly look at the architecture of buildings, working out in my head which pieces would work to recreate that...
  • DaddyWhaleDaddyWhale Member Posts: 130
    I do exactly the same regarding building architecture!
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    This has worried me quite a lot. For me it's buying sets I already have (for example 2 or 3 of) just because they're on sale.

I am also finding myself thinking of real world things in Lego. Maersk was the first thing where I became conscious of it - I cannot see a container without thinking about the lego train. There are so many buildings I would like to build a replica of!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,383
    edited December 2011
    When you wake up naked in a pile of LEGO bricks with stud marks all down your arm, surrounded by a pile of MISB sets, with no recollection of how you got there, and your first thought is "wonder what's on the Amazon Bargain Watch page today?".
    I knew it ! I knew that someone was watching me. It wasn't my imagination after all !

But please pray tell - where have you hidden the camera ?

;-)
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    ^ LOL. I think yours and Andy's comments just replaced Si's subliminal message as post of the week.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    He won't like that....

:o)
  • tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    ^ I also regularly look at the architecture of buildings, working out in my head which pieces would work to recreate that...
    Absolutely ... driving down the street, seeing things on TV, everything is "how do I build that?"

Monday I had to email my wife at work, "I went to the Lego store today and bought ... nothing!" Then Tuesday I went back because Mill Village Raid was 25% off, and had to add some PaB cups and other stuff to reach $100 because they still had Holiday Set #2 to give away. Then came home and ordered 2 Emerald Nights and another MMV from Amazon. Then today went back because I finally convinced myself (with wife's permission) to buy a 2nd Death Star (using the 10% coupon on the latest catalog).

Lego Store and TRU are both 3 miles away, max. Maybe I should tell myself that I can only buy something if I'm willing to walk there and back for it.
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    Nice to know someone's already got a serious relationship with Legos. I didn't know people literally sleep with them.
    I think I'll bring Emerald Night with me to bed tonight.

Back on topic; I've had such compulsions myself. The Internet is the greatest factor that easily lets us divulge on our selves with all the best deals online. One time, I felt the urge to pick up the Maersk Train. But I settled for something cheaper instead. Although I ended up spend money, at least I saved a bit, rather than using up the entire price of the MT. August was the scariest, with expenditures exceeding $500 that month ( I know it's nothing compared to you guys:P But my budget doesn't allow that much ).