Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO clearance brought me back to an old hobby

KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,289
I'm 26 now, I've had LEGOs for as long as I remember.

I have about 30 thousand pieces with about 200 minifigures. My models tend to be small, a few dozen to a few hundred pieces. I'm interested in a variety of themes, but mostly regular bricks instead of stuff like Technic. I often build out of the box or tweak existing sets as well as build something different. I might combine the pieces to related models, which includes girly and traditional sets, like 41092 Stephanie's Pizzeria with 10036 Pizza To Go.

I once planned to build a gigantic US flag mosaic for a world record I'd read about. That project was too big for me. Maybe someday. I did build up a huge stockpile of red, white and blue pieces. I have built small mosaics of musician logos.

I'm back to bricks thanks to a local supermarket putting a lot of sets on clearance. There soon wasn't much left at the two locations near me, two others didn't have any, and one had new sets at regular price. So I suspect the sale was to clear out 2015 sets to make room for 2016's.

New purchases often reinvigorate my collection interest. LEGO is a quality product but expensive (even brick assortments), so this is great.

I got many sets for myself, gifts, or to sell. My younger cousins have played with LEGO or DUPLO when they come over, so it seems fitting for them.

The day I first noticed this, I got some myself, others for Mom to use as gifts, and checked another location. Soon I saw even lower prices. I couldn't get a price match but did ask. I could've gotten some sets cheaper, but had waited on others. At first I didn't plan to resell, since expenses would make it hard to stay under list price, but BrickLink has much lower fees than eBay. I initially avoided DUPLO, or duplicates of LEGO sets. I kept making trips. I could've gotten more sooner, but I did want to do other things with my cash, and eventually put most of it to use.

SumoLegokiki180703

Comments

• snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,058
    Welcome!
    KingAlanI
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,289
    That store still had some 70778 Protector of Jungle and 70779 Protector of Stone, but only 20% off. Those I can wait on.
    Another store had 2 70740 Airjutzu Jay Flyer half off, which I did get.
    A couple stores had damaged boxes that they wouldn't discount. Apparently those do get sent back. I found them damaged, but maybe they're worried about the person responsible for the damage trying that.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,727
    Welcome to the Forum, @KingAlanI!
    KingAlanI