Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Pick A Brick Boxes (PAB)

Comments

• pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    Someone needs to go to Roosevelt Field and Queens Center and update the database!
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 818
    edited December 2011
    I am the builder who originally updated the data base for Queens and Roosevelt Field. If you want to contribute, just let me know. To be honest with you, their walls haven't changed drastically over the last few months. They haven't remained exactly the same but updating the wall without an iPhone takes a while both in store and then again at home when you actually update the inventory.
    Pm me if you'd like to know how to do this @pcirone. This website relies on us fans to update the info so your help would be appreciated.
    Any interest in joining ILUGNY? We have models in both of these stores right now and will be switching models out at the end of the month.
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    @bmwlego I'd like to know how to do this, so I can update Sunrise, FL. Right now it's pretty much empty, and I 'd love to help the community in some way. Plus, it would be good for myself too, to help me plan better my own PAB purchases at that store!
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    ^ In order to update an existing wall, just access the wall. Click on the appropriate bin and it will bring up a form with drop downs for color, part category, part, and amount. Then just enter the human verification code and hit update.

As others have said, it'll take about 30 minutes to update the complete wall and is easiest to do with a smartphone in-store. Otherwise, I would suggest grabbing the elements off the wall a row at a time and snapping a photo.

From that point on, it should be fairly brisk to keep up to date if you can survey it occasionally (once every 1-2 months) since the number of elements rotating out won't be too large.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    On a slight tangent...Is it me, or have white flower petals disappeared from PAB walls these past couple of years?
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,108
    @Yellowcastle - I noticed this also. I don't have any of the white petals but would love to have some. The other colors are there....but no white.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 818
    @coolpix
    If that wall isn't on the website yet because the store is new or no one has ever uploaded the info for the store yet you'd first need to contact Mike over at brickbuildr and let him know the set up of the wall's bins. For example 8 bins high by 16 bins across or whatever. Once he sets up the bins you can then upload the info. If you don't have a smart phone like myself it will take some time to either draw/describe/photograph each element in the store and then when you get home you have to upload the info for each bin. Once the bins are uploaded by Mike you can then print out a worksheet to help you in the store. It sort of looks like graph paper with large boxes for you to write what is in each bin.

Once the original entries are made it is very easy to update the info unless the walls change drastically.

Hope this helps.
    edited December 2011
    @bmwlego, @rocao. Thanks guys, the information will help me a lot. I will go to the store and inventory what they have on the PAB wall - I have an Android phone, so I should be fine - and then contact Mike so we can setup the store on the site just the way it is. I will update it frequently, since I plan going to this store at least twice a month, I just hope the employees don't give me a weird look for taking pics of their PAB bins! Thanks a lot for the info!
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    What I do is to use my phone to take a video of each slot on the PaB wall in turn. This take about 3-4 minutes. Then I can get back and edit BrickBuildr whenever it's convenient or even in stages. The only slight problem with this approach is that sometimes it's not easy to tell the difference between certain colours (particularly shades of blue and green) on the phone video. But I'd probably have this problem in store.

edited December 2011
    I think the first time you do it, it's the really time consuming one. After that, a spreadsheet might do the trick. I've used to be a GameStop manager, and we had to inventory the walls in a few minutes everyday before opening the store, so I have a bit of practice into doing that kind of thing fast. I think the first time around I will take pictures of each slot up close, and then draw a quick diagram with slots and numbers for the pieces, so I go grab each piece and write their number on the diagram, after that, I'll go by number on the updates.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,431
    Where is link to the BrickBuildr wall page? I'm having trouble finding it.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,108
    ^^^
    This site might help scout out what your store has: http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @leemcg on the video you can say which piece it is :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,643
    Heh, the LEGO store has TONS of flowers with Red petals (only, unfortunately)by me.
    Wish they bring back the blue ones....
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 1,006
    It shouldn't really matter what they have on the PAB wall right now, because I am sure inventory will change between now and 12/26, which the first day the boxes can be used.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    Hole punch for us
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    They usually scan and void them at the register once you filled them at my local shop and scotch tape the top of the handle closed.
    I'm sure some have just filled them and walked out of the store.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    edited December 2011
    @pcirone and @bmwlego...yep, the Queens store PaB wall hasn't changed much. At one time they had some Hero Factory parts but those were temporary.
    But, if you ask one of the managers they have more parts in the stock but no room on the wall for them. If it's slow, they might bring out some parts for you to check out.
  • andystarandystar Member Posts: 275
    What is a reasonable price for a PAB box? I'm planning on heading to the Lego store after same and think my 5yr old would have fun filling one up. If anyone would like to sell one or two pls send me a message.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    From reading everyone's opinion here, I'm now thinking that $10 each sounds reasonable. I'd do that price and include shipping so long as you're buying at least 3 (it isn't worth it for less than that)

Anyone agree? Disagree? Think I'm nuts?
    ^ Sounds good to me.
  • DavidRod8DavidRod8 Member Posts: 143
    I have about 5 boxes that I would be willing to sell... I don't know that I can find anything to use... If anyone wants to buy them let me know... $10 per box sounds good to me...
    my stockpile thus far
    ^ My store only gave 1 per transaction. I assume this was not the case with your store?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    My store gave one for every $75 spent...
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    Me too here in NY, 1 for each $75 spent. @Yellowcastle go back with your receipt and get your due.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,714
    Does anyone know if the USA and UK versions are the same? Just wondering if I was to buy some from the USA would my (not very) local store accept them?
    Sorry about the long post, but I had an unpleasant experience at my store today related to the Holiday PAB boxes. I went tonight to buy Fire Brigade, Imperial Flagship plus a few smaller City sets as Xmas gifts for my kids on the Sunrise, FL store. Total purchase was $348. Before I went to the registers I've asked the lady if they were still giving 1 PAB box for each $75 spent, and she said yes. It was like that on Black Friday, and the entire weekend last week, so I knew it would be like that - just confirming.

I was expecting to get 4 PAB boxes ($75 x 4 = $300), was even considering getting a few more smaller sets to bring the purchase to $375, so I could have 5 PAB boxes, but when I was paying for my purchases, the lady only scanned 2 envelopes with PAB boxes.

I reminded her about what she'd said to me 2 minutes ago, and she said that she could only give me 2 boxes, because "each big set of $150 or more would only allow me 1 box, because they were considered a separate purchase each...." - So because I had 2 big sets, each one would count as a different purchase, therefore I was entitled to only 2 PAB boxes, because the smaller sets were not reaching the $75 mark... SAY WHAT!?!?! That's the most twisted logic I've ever seen!!

The store was about to close, and I believe the manager was not there, so I argued a bit, explained her that her logic makes no sense and even told her that i bought $210 worth of items on Brick Friday at the same store, and I've got 3 PAB boxes then, with only 1 "large" item over $75 on my purchase, but she continued to explain me that Fire Brigade entitles to 1 PAB box only, not two just because it's $150... seeing it was useless to argue with her, I said WHATEVER, paid for my purchase and left. The store was closing and my kids were uneasy already.

I intend to get in touch with the Manager of the store to get my extra PAB boxes this week, and if it does not solve anything, I'll fill out a nasty survey citing her name on it. This lady has seen me before at the store (they've opened 2 weeks ago, and I've been there 4 times already and spent close to $1000), and she knows I am a regular customer. She was on charge today, but I don't believe she's the manager. As far as I know the manager is a guy.

To top it all off, their VIP points system had problems today, and my VIP points were not credited. I hope I can see my points credited by Monday, or it's another issue I'll have with that store. At least they had plenty Holiday Sets #1 and #2 for sale for $9.99, and I finally was able to get a #1, plus I got Imperial Flagship for only $134.88, but everything else sucked tonight.
  • jocappyjocappy Member Posts: 207
    I have never used these before, I got 2 today. Says I can go after december 25th. Can I reuse the box and keep going back and filling the box every time I go to the Lego store within the timeframe?
    I have never used these before, I got 2 today. Says I can go after december 25th. Can I reuse the box and keep going back and filling the box every time I go to the Lego store within the timeframe?
    Take a look at this thread:
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/2002/fyi-on-free-pab-box

• jocappyjocappy Member Posts: 207
    ^ thanks coolpix
    edited December 2011
    @coolpix - It would seem like TLG either sets very vague guidelines for these promotions or stores are simply enforcing them however/whenever they please. It would appear that most stores other than mine allowed people to add on to their purchases after getting the scratcher on Black Friday. My store has since admitted it was a mistake and allowed me to come back in to get that discount. With regards to the PAB boxes, it has historically been the rule that you get one per transaction no matter the total. I just spent over $500 at that same store and received only 1 PAB box. Yet I do recall receiving multiples of these per transaction at least once in the past few years. And from the comments here in the forum, it would also appear that most other stores are indeed allowing multiples per transaction. The idea that you would then be given more than one per transaction but not in multiples of $75 is the most ridiculous notion I've heard. That's no better than TRU employees telling people that current sales don't apply to the "big sets" which some of our members have heard. If I were you, I would totally contact the Store manager and lodge a complaint.
    @Yellowcastle I intend to do so. I also saw the rules for the PAB on December Store Calendar and it seems clear that it would be 1 per transaction, however, if she had said that, I'd be cool with it, but the crazy math made me nuts. How come they can have someone like that making decisions on a store as big as that one? Plus I had one PAB box for every $75 before at the same store, so I'll go after it!
    @coolpix - As soon as you succeed at your store, please feel free to call mine. ;o)
    Will do, my friend... will do! :-)
  • vanhanvanhan Member Posts: 31
    In general, I am rather frustrated with the inconsistency with the Lego store. I can't understand why one store does it one way and others do not. @coolpix, I say you fill out your survey from your receipt, these are seen my the store manager and they will address it rather quickly. I did the same regarding the stratcof off discount and the PAB.
    @coolpix I'm sure the execution was terrible and the customer service equally bad, but her logic seems perfectly sensible to me - if you assume one box per transaction greater than $75. She has merely given you the maximum number of transactions and hence the maximum number of boxes without you needing to split your purchase into multiple transactions yourself. Her explanation even makes a little sense in this case.
    You guys are certainly within your right to complain about the inconsistent handling of the promotion, however I ask that you be tactful and diplomatic in finding a solution.

In several instances of past promotions or store guidelines that came under scrutiny from complaints, the net result was communication to all stores to strictly adhere to the rules. In this case, the fine print says that the free box is limited to one per transaction, so if the fallout is the same, that would be a real tragedy for us all.

@coolpix: I understand that you felt misled by the employee and the promotion was not handled consistently, but I don't agree that it is "twisted logic". Breaking down your total purchase into smaller transactions to qualify you for additional PaB boxes is logical, and that's what was done. It makes sense that a single $150 set would be considered one transaction and thus eligible for a single free gift.
    edited December 2011
    ^^ That is a very interesting take....I had not thought of it that way. Of course by this rationale, I would have been owed 4 instead of 7 which still would have been better than my 1. :o)
    @rocao - I agree now that the math does make sense though I doubt many other stores are breaking purchases down to that kind of detail. And like you say, these kinds of complaints can oftentimes work against the community as a whole.

I guess I'm on the fence, though, as to whether anyone should let that realization really deter them? Perhaps the onus should really be on TLG to stop being so reactionary?
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard UtahMember Posts: 320
    I've had similar inconsistent experiences with pick-a-brick box promotions and I think it is often based on the employee and store location (some store managers might be a bit more strict on interpreting a $75 purchase).
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Like others, my store has been inconsistent with the offers. Only once have I been able to get multiple PaB boxes on amounts over $150. It just depends on the mood of the people that day.

I agree with rocao, please be easy in your complaints. At Brickworld (and other conventions) they used to have 50% off damaged box sales. Well, enough people complained either about how it was run (order of going into the store, number of items allowed, jumping in line with your kids to double up) or with the quality of the sets (complaining that parts were missing or instructions were damaged when they opened the sets) that they decided to just stop doing the sales for all future events.
    I don't want to do anything that would impact the community in a bad way and you guys are right about that. If I am too harsh with the complaint, specially in a survey, that get read by corporate, they may fix the problem the wrong way for us: Limiting 1 per purchase and that's it. Perhaps it's a "given" that the stores have inconsistencies, because most of the times they tend to work in out favor. I've had employees giving me extra 100 VIP points for having to wait so long in a line on Brick Friday 2010, and I was only purchasing $30 worth of stuff at the time.

@leemcg and @rocao points of view really made me think and I guess I am on the fence as well now. I may not do anything and forget those two PAB boxes, as I am trying to establish a good relationship with the staff of that store, that can benefit me and the LEGO Community as whole.
    @coolpix - I think you're right. I went into a my local store and spent £30, and the following day returned and spent £20. It was cheeky, but I asked if they could give me a holiday PaB box (it's £50 in the UK), and they said yes - I had my previous day's receipt and they could see my VIP spending. But there was clearly no need for them to do so.

I presume that there is a certain amount of discretion in one form or another, and it would be a shame if it went away.

You can tell from their recent surveys that TLG are hyper sensitive to the notion of fairness right now. And certainly none of us want to turn @coolpix into a Steve Bartman. ;o)

That being said, what does it tell you about the state of our relationship with the company we so adore that we have to even consider community wide impacts of a reasonable complaint from but a single person?
    edited December 2011
    ^ For better or worse, it tells you that they are listening. I think you already understand what I'm saying, but I wasn't implying that a single complaint would surely cause a stricter policy enforcement, just that it is a consideration based on precedent.

Sidersdd's example surrounding events is a good one.

Some examples off the top of my head:

My local LEGO store used to identify and label a subset of CMF packets as a courtesy. It was a real timesaver and spared a lot of people disappointment. However they stopped after series 3 and when asked, they said that the directive came down from corporate to suspend the practice after a customer (from another store providing the same courtesy) bought a packet and found it was mislabeled.

The LUG showcase was temporarily suspended so that a new set of directives could be delivered (among the criticisms were inconsistency and lack of clarity). During that time, new stores were told to wait to initiate the program and missed out on ~4 months.

I've heard some LEGO stores used to offer LUGs a standard 10% discount anytime. This is no longer the case and again the rumor was that there was a complaint that led to a discovery process.

I understand TLG wants to apply their guidelines uniformly, but just be aware that this often results as a subtraction and not an addition.
    be aware that this often results as a subtraction and not an addition.
    On this, I agree whole heartedly.

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    in-store promotions seem to be notoriously inconsistent. Anything that is "Spend $X and get a free Y" is pretty much guaranteed to have some stores limit it to 1 per transaction, while others give you 1 per $X spent. I've also found that within a single store, it varies employee to employee even. Same thing with stacking sales and order discounts, like on black Friday.

I know every employee at my local store by name, and I know the times to go if I think I need someone who is likely to be a bit more generous on the promotions. And I always make sure to treat them all well and never push for too much. In the end, I think that comes back to me.
  • DavidRod8DavidRod8 Member Posts: 143
    @coolpix why did you get the IF for $134? Was it still on sale...? When I went to my local B&M store this past week they had plenty but for the full price... are the boxes showing $180 but when you scan them they scan for the sale price? (25% off)
    Thanks!
  • MrBerreMrBerre Member Posts: 246
    "You can tell from their recent surveys that TLG are hyper sensitive to the notion of fairness right now."

Methinks the "free holiday set + free shipping" for US/UK VIP customers versus "no soup for you" for all other VIP customers treatment proves otherwise. ;-)