Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Pick A Brick Boxes (PAB)

pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
edited January 2014 in Buying & Selling Topics
So i've got all these PAB boxes to fill up after Christmas, and I was wondering which bricks would be best to get? My ONLY goal here is to sell everything on ebay.. while I am a collector of vintage sets I have no need for extra bits and pieces and just want to maximize my return. I could (and probably will) do some research over at bricklink but was just curious to know what the collective wisdom of all of you would suggest.

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    edited November 2011
    I picked up one of the free with $75 purchase pick a brick boxes yesterday, which are featured in both the November and December store calendars. You can't fill them up until after Christmas, but I went home and test filled the box.

it's 11 studs x 11 studs, and 9 bricks tall. You also would have a small amount of room above that due to the slope in the top (it's not a steep slope at all, so maybe you could get 1 brick high in the middle, and less toward the edges.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I had some of the MBA PaB boxes (which are the same size as the holiday ones) earlier this year. On my Flickr feed you can see how I packed some of them, and a display of the loot obtained.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sidersdd/sets/72157626741213491

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,649
    Thanks for the update.
    Yeah I get a few of these usually during the sales and have a pretty good number of boxes to fill for the past two years.. due to saving Ill probably not match my previous record of boxes, but everyone I packed meticulously and packed them pretty good.. so much so parents were telling their kids to look at my box in terms of getting the best bang for the buck....
    Are the holiday PaB boxes for in-store purchases only?
    Also, anyone know what happens if you need to return an item on a receipt associated with the free PaB box?
    not sure about your first question. as to the 2nd one, you would presumably already have the free PAB sitting at home when you did the return, so I cannot see any possible way they could void it.
    I just tried on-line, and it doesn't appear to be adding the PaB box to the cart. Although they have the holiday set still going. But if I recall correctly these are always for in-store purchases only. Never had a LEGO store nearby until this year. :)

They might not be able to void it, but they might be able to charge you $9.99 for it. Or rather, refund you for the return minus $9.99.
    They are only available at the stores, as that is the only place to redeem them.. it gets people into the Brick and Mortar to buy things if they can get the PAB box.
    yeah, they would have to do it as part of the return if they were going to charge you. no way otherwise to know when you bring the box in - they aren't individually linked to the sale or anything.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    Horses if your PAB wall has them ;)

Brent
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    This site might help scout out what your store has: http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    Save yourself the trouble, sell the boxes as they are.

How many do you have? I might be interested in buying them all.
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    Wow that's great I didn't know about that site, thanks.
    I have 30 or so, what do they go for in store when you buy them?
    You can't buy them, but they look similar to the small plastic cups which I think are 6 or 7 bucks if memory serves...

I will send you a pm...
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/2002/fyi-on-free-pab-box is a good link to see what you can fit into them
    They are probably a little smaller than the small cup, if my estimations are correct. I would also be interested in buying some if LegoFanTexas doesn't buy them all ;)

Brent
    But... but... I'm sure I can fill them all!!! :)

I am happy to split them with you if you really want them, I am easy... :)
    edited November 2011
    Id buy maybe even just 10. I dont need half.

@pcirone - i will send you a pm.
    The boxes are 11 studs wide x 11 studs deep x 9 bricks high. You can get at least 108 2x4s in there easily. Dark Red 2x4s go for about $0.15 each at that quantity. That's $16.20.

Horses go for about $1.25 each. I'm not sure how many you can get in a box, but I'm guessing 10? Anyone know?

Dark Tan tiles might be good too.
    Might be hard to squeeze 10 horses in. They are relatively strict about the box being shot. Much more than they are with the cups.

Brent
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2011
    You get more in the box than a small cup. Best to fill the boxes and sell the parts. You will get more in return than selling just the boxes.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    Of course, filling a box to sidersdd specs takes a bit of time. :o) It would probably take a few trips and an hour plus per trip so it depends on how much value you assign to your time. And then there's the random children that want to help you and/or ask you a million questions not to mention the looks from parents and employees. I havent even mentioned how small some PAB aisles can be or their lack of counter space. This is starting to sound like a nightmare to me. :o)
    I have 30 or so, what do they go for in store when you buy them?
    You should start the bid for the lot here. Paddle up.....$85.

$90... :)
    @LegoFanTexas - How did I know that you would respond shortly after my post.

Thinking.....
    No no I don't think I want to sell the boxes, even though I will sell the bricks it's still fun for me to go to the store and FILL the boxes and be part of the atmosphere, especially during the madness that is sure to be December 26th.
    @pcirone - The right way to go. Like I mentioned, those boxes fill better than small cups. Plus, being square, it provides better stacking than cups. Have fun filling!!
    ^ Right. It may take a little time to stack some 2x4 columns for that box, but it's nothing like trying to optimize for the cups:
    http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=48676
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    A question on the PAB box: How do they mark the box at the store after you're done filling it, so you won't use it again some other time?
    ^ They usually do something like draw a line through the barcode.
    ...or nothing at all if the store is busy, although I didn't take advantage of that.

Brent
    So, they don't have a standard procedure on marking the box. I bet if you do PAB boxes on Dec, 26th, they'll end up forgetting to mark the box. I plan on doing my PAB boxes in January though, when the store is a bit calmer, and I can spend my time doing exactly how sidersdd did them. I hope I can find some cool elements like the those windows or horses :-)
    ^ They usually do something like draw a line through the barcode.
    They use a hole punch at the store by me, they put a hole in the top of the box (where the handle is).. sometimes they forget though :-)

edited December 2011
    Of course, filling a box to sidersdd specs takes a bit of time. :o) It would probably take a few trips and an hour plus per trip so it depends on how much value you assign to your time. And then there's the random children that want to help you and/or ask you a million questions not to mention the looks from parents and employees. I havent even mentioned how small some PAB aisles can be or their lack of counter space. This is starting to sound like a nightmare to me. :o)
    I dunno about that.. I have filled up a box to the brim and maximized the space to fill as much as I can into one of those, usually bricks as I figure I can always use 1x2 and 1x4 in colors like tan and dark stone, and black for buildings. same with plates, especially if you are crazy enough to stick them all together with one on top of another (leaving no stud open to pry them apart) Or the 2 x 2 x 2 dark stone crates which my store seems to have an abundance of and I think they can be used as a kinda of column.
    All in all it takes about 30-60 minutes, depending on how many people are there and how good your dexterity is :-)
    For this I tend to go to the LEGO stores early Saturday's to beat the mall rush.. especially around Christmas
    I very rarely pick up a cup during busy times unless I see something really rare or desirable on the PAB wall (like big plates or 1 x 4 x 5 panels, etc.

Horses, while valuable, tend to leave open ALOT of empty space, and I used a small PAB cup to get about 7, my GF got a bunch and the rest were gone by the end of the VIP presale
    As for selling parts.. the jury is out on how quick you will get a return on your investment.. especially if everyone else has the same idea.
    So far I only have four boxes.. mostly because I was not crazy enough to go up to the mall on black friday weekend.
    I plan to get a few more before they are gone.. maybe this weekend.

These are essentially "paid for" already, so what do you do when you go to the store with a few PAB boxes to fill out? You fill them up and show to the employee at the register and that's it? I plan to go to the store more than once with my boxes since I think it's going to be a lot of work to do more than 2-3 a day, so I don't want them thinking I am just coming back for more with the same boxes.
  • jonboy2000jonboy2000 Member Posts: 259
    The PAB boxes are the same volume as a large PAB cup.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 923
    From what I remember last year they always voided the boxes by marking them (done on 3 or 4 separate occasions - I don't think they're silly enough to let people bring the boxes back repeatedly (and the staff in the UK shops always seem pretty strictly briefed on their promotions!)
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    @jonboy2000
    Good to know.
    I was just going to sell each box at 7 bucks a pop and leave it at that, but now I have reconsidered.....
    @jonboy2000 - really? They sure don't look like it to me, but I don't have a large cup in front of me to check. They look smaller than the small PAB cup.

Does anyone have them next to each other and can take a picture to upload and compare? That way we don't all have to guess, we can just see for ourselves. :)
    @LegoFanTexas - I share your opinion.

I am actually at the LEGO store right now. I will try to take pics when i get home. I will use assorted mixed 1x1s as my measurement.

Brent
    edited December 2011
    @legoFanTexas and @BTHodgeman I can assure you that they are. I as wrote in a post before I filled a large cup with water and then lined a PAB box with a plastic bag and poured the water in. I know they don't look the same but try it for yourselves.
    edited December 2011
    @jonboy2000 - Water and LEGO are a little different because LEGO is solid and hollow. We can't directly relate the actual volumes to be identical.

Here's my quick point. Picture 1 below is a small PAB cup in the box. Picture 2 is a 2/3 full large PAB cup (more than a small PAB cub). Picture 4 is those bricks in the box.

Picture 3 is a small cup resting on top of the 2/3 full large cup.

This obviously doesn't work out to be an exact comparison, but based on the fullness of the box, and the relatively low slope of the roof on the box, you wouldn't be able to fit a full large cup of 1x trans bricks into the box.

With larger bricks, I think it would work out to being even less that you could fit into the box vs. the cup, although I could be wrong.

Anyway, a small cup sells for $7.99 and a large for $14.99. I'm going to value the box at $12.50 :P Not bad, considering we got one for each $75 purchase, and depending on the bricks at your PAB wall, you can get considerably more value than that into a box.

Brent
    Not quite sure what this shows? none of the pictures has full boxes and what about all the little gaps in between? : ) I can't tell from the picture exactly which piece you have used, but all pieces of lego have dead space in them(on the underside or inside. I said they were the same volume and water is a pretty good measurement for that : )
    Admittedly, it doesn't show exactly what I was hoping because I didn't have a large PAB full of any one piece (and I don't like to mix my pieces after spending hour sorting them! LOL).

What I am trying to show is that the upper 1/3rd of a large PAB cup is almost the size of a small PAB cup. Based on how full the box got from a small PAB cup, I'm saying that there's no way you could add "almost" that much to the nearly-full box.

I will see if I can dig up any FULL large PAB cups to provide a more proper demonstration :P

Brent
    Your text didn't come up when I replied(only the pictures). Volume is volume you can't argue with that. Congratulations on your purchases.
    Interesting, thank you for the pictures...

The box is bigger than I thought it was, how little did I know...

So who wants to offer me $10 a box now? :) Anyone want to trade me a Death Star for them? (ha!)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    Unfortunately, I can't recall the formula for calculating the volume of a tapering cylinder with an uneven bottom. :o)

As for the value of a PAB box, I would put it somewhere between that of a small and large cup.
    Great, at $10 a box, I've got $300 worth of pick-a-brick boxes! Whee!

Now what on earth am I going to fill up 30 of these things with? Perhaps I should find out what my store has on the wall and take requests? :)
    Pick your store and check what it may have on the wall, beforehand:
    http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/

Someone posted this site on another thread, and it's a pretty good resource!