Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

NXT 2.0 vs EV3

I need help from anyone that knows about MINDSTORMS.  I used to have NXT 2.0, but got rid of it foolishly.  Now I have EV3.  From what I have gathered on the internet is that the processing power and GUI is better on the EV3.  It also has 4 output ports instead of 3 so you can use 4 motors.  Another plus is that there are two different motor sizes.  Some people have complained about the slow start-up time, but I think that is attributed to the firmware taking more time to load the improved operating system.

The only downside I have read is that the input devices aren't as good on the EV3.  The EV3 doesn't seem to have a light sensor or a sound sensor, although I think those NXT sensors would be compatible in the EV3 brick.  Does anyone have any insight into this?  It would be very helpful.

Probably should have asked earlier since it seems the 2.0 is being discontinued at this time.  I get my Associate's Degree in March and would like as much equipment as possible to experiment with.  Just wondering if it is worth anything to buy the NXT 2.0 or maybe just the two sensors instead?

Comments

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,779
    The NXT and EV3 are very similar. Yes, the EV3 is mode advanced and has a few improvements over the NXT, but also has some downsides, like the sensor that comes with the home edition not being able to tell exact distance (however, there is an Ultrasonsics sensor for the EV3 that can measure exact distances). The EV3 "medium" motors are also rather weak.

The EV3 does come with a light sensor, but it is built into the color sensor. The sound sensor for the NXT actually wasn't very useful, so I doubt you'll miss it. Even if you do, I think the NXT sensors wills till work with the EV3.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Oh I see, thank you.  So the infrared sensor isn't very useful at guiding the robots?  I have used the ultrasonic sensor for the NXT 2.0 and it worked great.  I will add the ultrasonic for EV3 to my list to get then.  Have you used the gyro sensor or the infrared beacon at all?
    The IR sensor is so-so. It's saving grace is that it can detect the IR remote as a beacon.
    I have used the beacon. If you try to have the robot find the beacon, be sure to put some vision guards on either side of the IR sensor, so that its sight is more focused.
    I haven't tried the gyro personally, but others in a robotics class have, and nobody (not even the teacher) like it.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Darn.  The next MINDSTORMS iteration will hopefully have some improved sensors.  Sounds like there is no need to purchase the NXT 2.0 though.  Thanks for your input, it has been very helpful.

I used the NXT 2.0 in a robotics class about 9 months ago.  Worked pretty good.  I haven't had time to tinker with the EV3 yet, so I had no idea what the comparisons were actually like.  I have a drone to build now and a theremin device to design so I won't be able to get to work on any LEGO/MINDSTORM stuff for a while.

Thanks
    I would hope so- the sensors haven't been improved much in the past several years.
    No problem-glad to help.